Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2016/03/11/fia-publishes-new-rules-elimination-qualifying/

They've literally doubled the length of the wording of the Quali rules :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

learnincurve posted:

So anyway there has been a bit of news.

McLaren has retained Johnnie Walker as a sponsor.

New Quali format is happening from Australia provided ferrari don't veto

Marko is still a complete dick. http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/red-bull-will-drop-drivers-who-don-t-perform-marko-warns-678709/

To be fair that policy is nothing new for Red Bull. They want to be promoting their cool young drivers to the main team. Quite why they're still allowed to have a junior team in F1 to create that pressure is still a mystery to me, however.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
What's more likely is them ending up at Force India or Sauber on wages slightly better than their current lovely Red Bull contracts and Hulkenberging it up for a season or two.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Brainwrong posted:

Is Stoffel their latest Magnussen?

Yes, but he's also the reigning GP2 champion, having scored nearly double the points of the next nearest driver, so he's probably quite a lot better than Magnussen.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
He scored 100 more points than the second placed team

Admittedly the GP2 field is extremely shite, so you only have to be pretty good to dominate

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Norns posted:

Dan is a loving treasure. He needs to escape rbr.

Side note: helmut barking about his exploitative driver system and threatening his drivers again. Neat.

It's completely consistent with the Red Bull organisation as a whole:
If something good happens then it's because the Red Bull Team is fantastic, and we're blessed to have them around.
If something bad happens it's all someone else's fault and the Red Bull Team is blameless, and it's all very unfair.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

I hope you realise I do not subscribe to Red Bull's opinions, I'm merely summarising them.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Human Grand Prix posted:

That was directed at Helmut Marko.

Mateschitz would only replace him with someone equally or more vile

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Even this time last year (or was it the year before?) when they had a tricky fuel flow scam going and got caught, they doubled down on "the FIA sensors are wrong and ours are right, you'll see, everyone else will fail these tests sooner or later, the sensors are just bad"

Guess what never happened

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I'll probably have time this year to put a mild amount of effort into making a 2016 F1 OP unless someone else wants it

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
None of the energy recovery systems are "instead of an engine", they're about supplementing the engine with otherwise wasted energy, it's pretty cool stuff, and if you don't like it congrats on being a luddite I guess?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

El Hefe posted:

Please don't refer to them as engines, they are not engines, we've worked really hard to develop these power units and I won't have some internet troll refer to them by the peasant common name "engine".

They refer to the engines all the time, they are just not the entirety of the power unit. It would be incorrect to call the parts that aren't engines engines. Also referring to power units or power trains is not remotely a new thing in F1.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Call them whatever the hell you like, just don't pretend that it's too complicated to understand when it really isn't.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

learnincurve posted:

Given that the new season starts in a few hours should someone not start a new OP?

I'm getting it together, it'll go up before FP1

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Which kind of parrot would each F1 driver be?

Massa is a cockatiel

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

learnincurve posted:

I've not seen you in the bird thread?

My potato likes to hang upside down from his perch violently flapping and then falls off when he tries to have another thought.

I post occasionally

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

El Hefe posted:

There's nothing sadder than a bird in a cage.

You can embed tweets from Alonso now, you don't have to copy+paste

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Gimme a half decent thread title and I'll post the new thread

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

simplefish posted:

Please style the new driver bloke as Harry Anto in the OP thanks

Too late, but I will endeavour to consistently refer to him as such in future

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Human Grand Prix posted:

Flip the flag upside-down so he becomes a Pole.

I could never do that to the noble Indonesian people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768826 it's done

• Locked thread