Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
i like robots and model trains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

Number19 posted:

Time for me to update my bookmarks it seems.

Are any of you goons coming to the PGI Steam Launch event?

i missed the deadline

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

Skoll posted:

It's nice to know that after all these years, KONG are still bad. We just dropped against an assault lance of them and cap warrior'd River City.

hey at least they dont loving cheat. KONG might be a bunch of idiot nerds much like ourselves, but at least i've never suspected them of any bullshit.

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

Zaodai posted:

Also had a few drops against Goons. By far the toughest fights of the night, as far as tactical poo poo goes.

lol

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

Love Stole the Day posted:

Is anyone interested in showing up for a 12 v 12 goon inhouse event where we all gently caress around and do gimmicky bullshit that would never happen in a pub game?

ideas:
  • 12 v 12 in the basement of HPG Manifold (everyone is an assault 'mech?)
  • LRM boats only (no ECM allowed?)
  • "protect the baby" -- everyone plays Atlas but each team has 1 UrbanMech (your team loses if the Urbie dies)

Yeah. gently caress yeah.

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

GET OUTTA HERE OHSH, MECHWARRIORS ONLY

JEEZ

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

Lemon Curdistan posted:

What are the three best Hunchback variants to get? 4J for LRM10 spam, 4P for medium lasers and 4SP for ASRM-6 brawling? How's the AC-20 on the 4G?

they're all good, including the hero

the 4H is probably the black sheep of the bunch, I haven't checked the quirks for it in a long time

edit: also the 4G owns

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

Baudin posted:

I think you mean 2 ppc 2 gauss xl 350 king crab?

hey don't give the newbirds any ideas :colbert:

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

Vorenus posted:

Helios talk: If you can't beat em, join em. Honestly I'm not above grabbing a cheat to be used exclusively against those already using it. It's simply leveling the playing field.

what the gently caress dude :colbert:

edit: colbert

Blackdog420 fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jan 14, 2016

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

TheParadigm posted:

Commoners does exceptionally well with his gos handing fastlas.
I believe it's an xl 400 and 3lpl on one arm and 2lpl +1mpl on the other. All of the corner peeking basically.

Yeah it's kinda hilarious how people are getting by with xl engines in the boars head after recent quirk buffs. I think it was Alchenar who runs his BH with 6 lrg pulses and an xl. It's a build that I would normally scoff at, but he was pooping out fresh dps in it.

I still don't recommend xl engines in the boars head. I just can't. Nope. No. :nono:

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

Pooncha posted:

With an XL295, 1 head armor and 3 armor in the arms lets you load another ton of missiles.

E: Like this.

For the love of god, put your armor back on your arms in your oxide please.

You literally triggered me and caused me to fall into an angry 'tism.

edit: Still spiraling out of control. Might need to lay down. May actually start watching train vids on youtube. Currently reading about sailboats on wikipedia.

Blackdog420 fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 17, 2016

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

Beet Wagon posted:

I wonder if they will ever make the IV-Four a good mech. I have no idea what to do with mine.

here's my lovely take on this terrible robot

The arm mounts are low and awful, but I feel like you NEED to put something in one of them (or both?). The quirks are good for all ballistics/energy/missile, so you may as well utilize them all since you're stuck with a crappy engine cap... You could and probably should lower the engine size and add more ammo if you're having issues.

The problem with this build is that It's loving bad.

Skoll posted:

I don't own one but off the top of my head maybe you can run something like this?

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=158&l=46447139a8bcb5c1837c50955f5c777aed105025

The problem with this build is that it's a medium build on a heavy.

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

Skoll posted:

60 ton mech with some bad hardpoints. How would you build it? Dual AC10 arms?

See I don't know about that build because the arms are just too low. Honestly, I kinda dig Teepo's idea with two lbx10s and 2 mls.

It's like a celebratory disclaimer stating, "Yeah I bought this bad mech, and now I'm going play it using bad weapons. Deal with it."

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
Here's a list of dumb terminology that new players might hear while in mumble:

Goon Stuff::
Old Birds - Goons from the Beta golden days. I personally consider any goon who played before the 'Phoenix Pack' as an Old Bird. I started playing right as the phoenix pack released, and I do not consider myself as an Old Bird.
New Birds - New goon MWO players who are evidently masochists or suffer from mental illness.
Squawk - Squawking in game is a practice that you will see some goons partake. More often enough, you will see non goons squawking too (due to cultural victory). Feel free to squawk whenever you want, as it's your right as a Tetatae Warrior.
The PGI Timeline - A timeline consisting of PGI's mistakes created by fellow goon, Chronojam. Forged by pure madness with a dash of autism.

Robot Stuff::
Ghost Dad - AS7-D-DC (with ECM)
Dad¹ - Atlases in general.
Dad Bear/Bear Dad - Kodiaks
Splatlas - AS7-S (with x4 SRM6)
Rhino - Classic close range Stalker (STK-3F) builds sporting SRMs and lasers. Generally seen as SRM6s with medium lasers.
Splatapult - Catapult with SRMs
Streak Crow - Stormcrow boating 5x C-SSRM6s
Streak Dog - Mad Dog boating 6x C-SSRM6s
Shame Dog - MDD-PRIME(I). A special variant Mad Dog given to those shameful few who spent too much money on this game. Granted by purchasing the Clan Masakari package + Clan Wave II.
Trash Bucket - Trebuchets. In the dark days of pre-quirks, this robot earned it's name. You'll still occasionally hear old birds use this term.
Metal Baby - Commandos.
Urby/Trashcan¹ - Urbanmechs.
Cheaters¹ - Arctic Cheetahs.
Direstar - Gimmick dire wolf build with ~*11x*~ C-ER-PPCs that is meant to be alpha fired precisely two times, resulting in an overheat death. No robot in the game can withstand a direct CT hit. Coined after the Deathstar. It's bad.

Game Stuff::
Wubs - Refers to pulse lasers
Lurms - Refers to long range missiles, ya dingus
Laser Vomit - Laser builds with high alpha damage. Not the same as laser sniping.
Gauss Vomit - Similar to the above, but substituting some lasers for a gauss. Used effectively by manually syncing the gauss charge mechanic when firing lasers.
Poptart - A poptart basically refers to any mech using jumpjets and effectively shooting their weapon load at the same time. Normally it's PPCs, but that's not always the case.
The Butthole - The center volcano area of the terrible Terra Therma map
Popcicle¹ - When a robot that has lost all of its guns and is therefore not worth paying attention to anymore
Zombie¹ - A mech with center torso weapons capable of continued fighting after all arms and side torsos have been stripped. STD engines only, obviously. Some Atlases and Centurions make good examples of zombie mechs.
Helios¹ - A controversial subscription based hacking utility with wallhacks, aimbot, and more. Used by sperglords who care about their kdr.
Team Helios¹² - Essentially any group of players we suspect might be hacking. Even if they aren't actually hacking. Because we're suspicious grumpy old farts.
Yell Boss¹ - Someone who is calling targets and offering sick-nasty strats. Although with goons it's more or less a hodgepodge of everybody collectively sharing beneficial information of what's on the field. Sometimes.
Markemp/Heffay¹ - Some PGI fanboy that no one cares about.
NGNG¹ - No Guts No Galaxy. Originally a fan site and podcast about Battletech stuff that is now basically a promotional arm for PGI. Founded by Sean Lang who uses Twitch™ alot.
Lurmageddon¹ - Could refer to one of several incidences of PGI buggering up LRMs with hilarious consequences. See link.
Shield Side/Dead Side¹ - Loading your weapons asymmetrically in a mech so you can torso twist the opposite side into incoming fire protecting your weapons allowing you to pew pew longer.

Disclaimer: Some of these terms are exclusive goon terms that only goons use and understand. Use outside of goon mumble at the risk of sounding like a complete loving idiot.
I'm sure I'm missing alot of jargon, feel free to add or correct

EDIT: added little footnotes with links to the original source of contributor. I might be terrible and either abridge or add my own opinions.

Blackdog420 fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 24, 2016

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
this is how I roll in my warhamsters

WHM-6D
WHM-6R
BLACK WIDOW

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

armchairyoda posted:

e: Or buy a Boar's Head, you rich mother-fucker.

the Boar's Head isn't actually a Dad, it's just a Bad Uncle

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

WebDO posted:

Wow, you guys got really upset that I called the poo poo devs of this game poo poo. You sure showed me that :pgi: has the player's interest from the start. Oh, wait

cool!

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

Love Stole the Day posted:

:chord: butterfly in the sky

i can go twice as high :baby:

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

nope

edit: you're going to hate that right arm

Blackdog420 fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 4, 2016

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

DancingShade posted:

That's going to run nuclear hot and anyone who sees you knows you'll be running an XL engine to fit those 3 LPLs.

Can't poke because you need to bring your entire mech out of cover because of hardpoint placement and too hot/fragile to brawl.

Fit a STD 280, 5x MPLs and jump jets. The crab is not a pokey mech and you should be brawling to make the best use of it. It rolls damage like a loving champ if you run STD.

I wouldn't run a crab without an XL, honestly. I also wouldn't go looking for a brawl in any crab either, regardless of it's weird hitboxes

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

Cyrano4747 posted:

Cockpit things that aren't war horns are awful and just clutter up the screen.

you are literally a joyless gently caress

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

taqueso posted:

What is the fastest mech that can run dual AC10s without sacrificing a huge amount of armor?

I haven't played in a while, did they change AC10s in anyway?

The real question you should ask yourself, is do you really want to play with dual AC10s?

edit: you should yolo and do it on a CPLT-K2.

Blackdog420 fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 1, 2016

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

Great Beer posted:

You mean the Arrow because the Archer isnt very good and shits on nothing.

played it alot last night. I feel like there are a couple of quasi-gimmick srm builds that can be fun. other than that, you're looking at a 70ton energy boat with weird hitboxes and an XL engine. It's a big 'meh', but imo far from being a complete trashshit mech.

edit: disregard this post, im just an idiot nerd in denial

Blackdog420 fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 7, 2016

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

The Repo Man posted:

1 PPC and 1 small laser, for that close range punch.

:shrek:

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

Super 3 posted:

I still feel like throwing in an Oxide or two is win in just about any situation. Having two tanky mediums to face hug the enemy then the Oxidies harvest butt meat all day.

Playing against clans is interesting as they're still for the most part dumb and load up with Streak Crows. You can generally leg them before they kill anyone since the streaks are all going to be hitting your CT. I feel like the only viable clan options are Stormcrows and Arctic cheaters at this point. Everything else gets stomped on hard by IS quirks.

I don't think it's worth bringing any lights when up against clans.

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

Anita Dickinme posted:

I'm back. Tell me the important things again.

upcoming championship esports will be sponsored by HelioS

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

TheParadigm posted:

Hey, goons, go ahead and throw your best/favorite scouting mechs at me.

I bring the TBT-LG over Griffins (when I really shouldn't) because of the cbill bonus. I bring the ENF-4R over the WVR-6K because I think it's a better robot.

The truth is, IS has a ton of badass mediums that are viable.

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

Pattonesque posted:

Spitballing here re: scouting builds with flamers:

SHD-2K

dude this actually seems p fun and im going to test it

here's my shot at it with an XL SHD-2K

edit: armor
edit2: ended up lowering the engine to add another ton of ammo SHD-2K

Blackdog420 fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 27, 2016

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
It's only a matter of time before they nerf the CN9-D

40% cooldown for any gun is ridiculous.

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

Great Beer posted:

I went digging through my stats to see if there was anything amusing and

My second highest is the KGC-000, at 8 hours. I think I might have a problem.

oh no

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
this loving patch. good grief

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
I don't understand why PGI increased the size of the Firestarter. (but decided not to even touch the Arctic Cheetah?)
I don't understand why PGI increased the size of the Panther. (the loving Panther...)
I don't understand why PGI decreased the size of the locust to almost comical levels. (seriously just compare it to literally any other mech.)
I don't understand why PGI decided to make a new minimap. (who the gently caress even asked for this!?)
I don't understand why PGI decided to gently caress up Frozen City. (RIP best map in the game, thanks)
I don't understand PGI. Please loving kill me.:pgi:

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

Artificer posted:

Ah so thats what the difference is between the two. I was just thinking goddamn the Jag is just inferior to the Hellbringer.

they are both good get whatever you think looks cooler

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

Artificer posted:

Friendly reminder to never play late at night. Especially solo.

My God. Late night pubbies are BAD.

hail satan

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

Commoners posted:

Not really, unfortunately. It's an okay mech, but it has none of the features that make it good compared to those. The warhammer has great hitboxes, good quirks (even after the nerf,) and good hard points allocations. The grasshopper has jump jets and stupidly good hard points to go with decent energy quirks. The battlemaster also has stupidly good hard points that don't get much more ideal, and is only five tons higher than the zeus. The zeus is a knuckle dragger, and because that particular variant absolutely has to deadside smart players can just cut off the gun side with selective shots even if you are torso twisting properly because of its really obvious hit geometry.

It also has to compete with the awesome 8t for the laser vomit quirks with poor hard points and hit boxes award, and the awesome can also easily pile some SRM6s into its loadout to just run around making GBS threads on people with 30% cooldown, 15% heat, 15% duration, and 10% range on its lasers and 15% cooldown and 10% velocity on missiles. It can also zombie very effectively with a standard engine if you're not worried about going fast.

Zeuses can be fun to play because they're just not very good so it's fun to embarrass people with them. They don't really have special niche situations where they just rock everyone's poo poo and slaughter entire teams like the awesome or the vindicator.

yeah pretty much :saddowns:

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
jesus christ russ is a complete joke person

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veiw77oNed4

this nerd made a 20 minute video about all of this bullshit and honestly I think it's worth a watch.

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
so did PGI kill their game yet?

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

Great Beer posted:

Sucks for anyone who hasn't been playing for 3 years though.

this is literally the game right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
this is p fun VND-1AA

• Locked thread