Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Hello, friends! Once again we dive into TV's finest spectacle where shows face off in brutal combat in a fight to the death to determine which of this year's entertainment will gain the honour(?) of being Goondom's Favourite TV Show of 2015 while holding the still beating hearts of its enemies. This year will see us answer a host of important topical questions. Can Hannibal and Fargo repeat their successes of 2014? Does anyone still care about Game of Thrones? Will Marvel's influx of new superheroes put them ahead of DC in the superhero showdown? Netflix Netflix Netflix Netflix Netflix Netflix? Did anyone even see Yahoo's new season of Community? Why can we still not vote for My Little Pony? And when will we all wake up and realise the best show on TV is really The Talking Dead?

So join with me and Toxx while we take you on this journey, remember to wear your safety gear and high-vis jackets, keep all arms inside the cart and prepare for one hell of a ride. The greatest contest in the history of our species (proven fact) has begun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Regy Rusty posted:

I definitely want to see the winter finales for a bunch of shows before making my list this year. I have a feeling I'm going to have a hard time picking.

I have no idea what order my top 5 is going to be this year, they're all really close together and most of them are already done for the year :ohdear:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

wayfinder posted:

Is there some weird local restriction on which shows qualify? Like US only or something?

What Toxx said. People in the past have voted for shows from Canada, UK, Australia, Korea, Netflix, Amazon and even Youtube (rip Sex House)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

White Rabbit posted:

By the way I'm still not sure if giving 10 -> 1 points for entries 1 to 10 is quite fair. I'm sure this has been discussed to death but if a show makes it on the 10th spot on ten different lists surely that makes it better than an oddball show with a single n°1 entry, no?

Here's a suggestion on how to score lists to give a bit more weight to the last spots. Just a thought.

1. 5 pts
2. 4.5 pts
3. 4 pts
4. 3.5 pts
5. 3 pts
6. 2.7 pts
7. 2.5 pts
8. 2.3 pts
9. 2 pts
10. 1.5 pts

Yeah that's overly complicated and dumb and arbitrarily deciding that one person loving a really niche show makes their opinion less valid so I'm not doing that.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
We have now officially had over half the number of entries from last year and the thread is only a few days old! :toot:

Spread the word in threads for the shows you love, people. Let's make participation this year the best it's ever been :woop:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

IRQ posted:

Occ/Rarity just don't care about Survivor so gently caress it. Nobody who actually watches the show would say Worlds Apart and Cambodia are even remotely in the same class.

Dude you know how much I care about Survivor. It's definitely going to have a place in my top 10 just on the strength of Cambodia.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I just wrote over 300 words about Orphan Black and it's not even in my top 10. Somebody help me :ohdear:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

sbaldrick posted:

So my list is going to included a show you can only kind of watch on TV, even in files.

Hey man, we're gonna need a short line about why each of these shows are good otherwise your list won't be counted :(

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

20. Brooklyn Nine-Nine
(FOX)
Last Year: 4

Heading into its third full year on the air, Brooklyn Nine-Nine has matured. Sure, it might not carry the impetuous edge of its youth but with its experience B99 has gained a comfortable sense of ease in how it goes about its business. Settling down to an evening with the Nine-Nine is like a night in with the family, you know exactly what to expect. The high spot of 2015 has to be the way the show has pulled the trigger on its teased romance between Jake and Amy and integrated them without harming the hit rate of the jokes. Or Holt reading out full URL links. One of the two.

19. Crime Scene
(tvN)

When Crime Scene first came to us from the same benevolent subtitler that gave us The Genius it was a bit of a curio. The format was overextended, the twists were repetitive and predictable and all in all it seemed merely to serve to tide us over until its elder cousin returned. However, between Jinho, Park and Hyunmoo the cast had enough charm to keep the show around and as it developed it discovered its greatest strength: adaptability. By the start of season 2 Crime Scene had learned how to cut down on the fluff and it only got better from there. Dongmin and Hani were great additions to the cast, the guests were a fantastic mix of old and new faces, the cases got a lot tighter and a lot more intricate, double episodes, meta episodes, cute nods to past cases, season 2 had it all. Nowhere was this more evident than the Beauty Pageant case, a CW-level soap opera distilled into one hour with a wonderful creative twist.

18. Agent Carter
(ABC)

And so it begins. While superhero TV had been building for the previous few years, 2015 was when the trend really took off. Early out of the gates to fill the mid-season break of Agents of Shield, Agent Carter is a light and breezy affair that makes up for what it lacks in drama with pure entertainment. The dynamic between Hayley Atwell and James D'Arcy as the eponymous Peggy Carter and her sidekick Edwin Jarvis features the perfect mix of backbiting, respect and affection while the producers smartly round out two-dimensional side characters by casting great character actors like Shea Whigham and Enver Gjokaj. All in all, Agent Carter is the most pure distillation of the MCU into television form, it's popcorn viewing in the best possible way.

17. Peep Show
(Channel 4)

For 12 years now Jez and Mark have been failing their way from misadventure to the next. They've eaten a girlfriend's family dog, they've pissed onto wedding congregations, they've opened pubs named after paedophiles and now they have reached the end. The final season displayed all the hallmarks of Peep Show at its finest: quick wit, lots of cringe, a drunk lady falling into a ball pit, Super Hans, a comedy underlined by a tragic co-dependent friendship of two men unable to mature. Filled with pathos, Peep Show went out the only way it ever could: with Jez and Mark right back where they started having not learnt a single thing.

16. Game of Thrones
(HBO)
Last Year: 6

Let's be fair, it's been a tough year for Game of Thrones. Strange to say that about something that won Best Show at this year's Emmys but while 2015 was the year GoT found award recognition it was also the year where its critical success began to wane. However, I'm not here to dwell on the low points of the season. Instead I'm going to talk about the reason it still has a spot in my top 20 and that reason is Hardhome. In fact, it's not even the whole episode, it's purely the second half in which a terse parley between the Night's Watch and the wildlings turns into a full scale White Walker invasion. It's a shocking sequence that arrives from nowhere and delivers both emotional impact and thrilling action in spades. Nowhere is this more apparent than with Karsi, a character who in that time receives an arc told from introduction to compelling conclusion. All of this is framed by set pieces that rival the show's highpoint, Blackwater, and anchored by a strong performance from Kit Harrington as always pissed off northerner Jon Snow. Of course, it's a shame that Jon's death means we won't be seeing any sign of him in Season 6. Yep. No way. Never going to happen.

15. Gravity Falls
(Disney XD)

It wouldn't be surprising if you'd managed to overlook Gravity Falls in your TV watching. After all, it only seems to air three new episodes a year. But relentlessly terrible network scheduling aside, Gravity Falls is the best cartoon going - not including, of course, The Show Which Must Not Be Neighmed. For 2015 the show has dived deep into its myth arc dropping plot bomb after plot bomb with twists and shocks that are beyond any expectations for a children's show (even a YA show) and all this while continuing to deliver the top notch humour we've come to expect. But none of that is the reason I recommend Gravity Falls. No, the real reason to jump in is because this is a show with heart. Created by Alex Hirsch as a celebration of his own relationship with his twin sister, the show never strays far away from the core connection between Dipper and Mabel. 2015 saw that relationship be strained to new levels, building up to an epic and emotional finale that spans the length of four episodes and is still ongoing. And it would be wrong to ignore the contributions from the other Mystery Shack alumni. Soos, Wendy and Grunkle Stan have all had their chances to shine and all proven their worth to the show. When you sit back and think about it, it really is quite amazing that in a show with scamming unicorns, skanky werespiders and Louis CK as a deformed monstrous head with one arm (don't ask) that it's the quiet moments you come away remembering most. While it's sad that there's only the series finale left to air, Gravity Falls looks like it's going to be one of those rare shows that goes out exactly when it should.

14. The Flash
(CW)
Last Year: 5

And here is where we really start to see the effect of the era of peak TV. Last year the Flash was the hot new show on the block, primed to make a run for the top spot and throughout 2015 it's delivered on all of those expectations. Yet here it is, not even breaking into my top 10. Not because of its own fault, because other shows have just been better. But let's talk about the Flash and what it's done right. In this era of superhero TV, no other show has embraced the balls-to-the-wall craziness of comic books more. This is a show with time travel, parallel earths, an alternate world version of the guy who was murdered and replaced by a man from the future (don't ask), psychic gorillas, a couple who are resurrected for eternity and also bird people, A GIANT HALF MAN HALF SHARK, killer bees, Joe West's tears and Wentworth Miller. I know that sounds like a lot and that's the strength of the Flash, with all the speed of its titular hero it just keeps piling on idea after idea. With another year ahead, who knows how much further that list will grow?

13. Orphan Black
(BBC America)
Last Year: 3

Another year, another round of conspiracies, another random Alison subplot, another standout performance from Tatiana Maslany, another finale that introduces a new set of questions that will likely be ignored next year. Haven't we been here before? Well, yes. The worst that can be said about Orphan Black is that it's starting to get somewhat predictable. But when what you're predicting is so good, is that really such a crime? The big news for Orphan Black in 2015 was the introduction of Project Castor and the male clones. While the boys lacked the variety of their sisters, narrowing down their characterisation allowed Ari Millen to stick to what he does best, being weird and creepy and untrustworthy. Attaching Castor to the military not only explained these similarities but also allowed the show to explore the ways societal expectations are harmful to the male psyche, a new tangent from its normal female focus. That's not to say that the girls were pushed aside. As always, the Clone Club remained central to its premise, nowhere moreso than Helena and her bond with her sestras. If season 2 was the year where Sarah accepted Helena as one of her own, in season 3 it was Helena's turn. All of these threads pulled together in the season's highpoint, Certain Agony of the Battlefield, a stunning hour of television that forces the viewer to care about its most maligned character, Paul, before killing him off without compunction in one of the most heroic deaths in years then finishing with Helena's return to Sarah, on the surface an act of protection but in truth an acceptance of the love and sisterhood she has wanted for so long but never allowed inside. And it would be remiss for me to finish without mentioning either Krystal, the latest addition to Maslany's repertoire, who provided a fresh burst of energy towards the season's end. Or Ksenia Solo, who brought a stable ground to the increasing insanity as Cosima's new girlfriend, Shay. Or this, which needs no context.

12. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
(Netflix)

Last year Netflix announced that they were upping their original content game with 15 scripted shows to come to their service for 2015. Dropping in early February, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt was the first shot in a relentless barrage against traditional broadcasting. The show tells the story of Kimmy, a woman who spent 15 years living in a bunker under the sway of an abusive cult leader as she attempts to reintegrate into regular society. It's a dark premise made for prestige drama but this show is not just a comedy but the craziest, funniest comedy of the year. None of which would be possible without the performance of Ellie Kemper as Kimmy, providing a strong, positive and yes, unbreakable backbone to the character that prevents the show from ever dwelling in misery. Whenever life tries to knock Kimmy down, she just puts the smile back on her face and keeps on trucking. The rest of the cast are even matches in the comedy stakes, whether it's the outrageous Titus Burgess, Jane Krakowski exporting Jenny to a new series or the criminally under-appreciated Carol Kain as Ellie's batty old landlady. Not to mention Xanthippe, one of the most heartfelt takes on the stroppy teenage girl tropes and best thing in season 1. As for the writing, Tina Fey's scripts carry all the quick wit and absurdity of 30 Rock but add a powerful feminist undertone. All of which builds up to a controversial finale in which Kimmy returns to her home-town to face down her abuser, a great guest turn from John Hamm. While there are a couple of undoubted missteps here that knock the joke ratio down, it's impossible to ignore the fact that it was a plot turn that was absolutely necessary. And while Kimmy's victory was not a laugh riot, it was rewarding in a very different way. Females are indeed strong as hell (dammit!)

11. Arrow
(CW)
Last Year: 1

Two years, three archenemies, two major character deaths, one resurrection, two crossovers and one Ray Palmer later, Arrow's reign as my favourite show has come to an end. Arrow has received a lot of hate in 2015 and it's not entirely unjustified. The tail end of season 3 was certainly the weakest run in the show's history. However, season 4 has seen the show make a turn around in quality rarely seen from shows in their advancing years. The writers have done a great job of listening to the criticism of the previous season and fixing those problems. Oliver might still retain a little of the old self-righteous hypocrite in him but he actively recognises that and tries to be better. Laurel's transformation from alcoholic hot mess to rear end-kicking superhero is complete. Felicity has mostly put aside the histrionics and returned to being the quippy comedy relief that we all loved in the first place. And then there's the new big bad, Neal McDonough as Damien Darhk. Ridiculous name aside, Darhk brings a burst of energy and fun that the show was sorely missing. While Merlyn and Slade were strong dramatic presences, Darhk's sheer pleasure in being evil is a joy to behold. It's not just in the writing and the acting that the show has improved, season 4 has seen a noticeable return to form in the stuntwork, one particularly expansive recent fight involved Thea and her opponent traversing half a factory including an elevator ride. It's clear that interest in Arrow has waned in TVIV over the course of this year but those who have dropped the show are doing themselves a disservice. The first half of season 4 is the show running almost as strong as it's ever been.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Warning: :words: incoming.

10. Last Week Tonight
(HBO)

“Janice in accounting don't give a gently caress!” - John Oliver

Last Week Tonight is not journalism. Let's get that out of the way quickly. You shouldn't be getting your news from John Oliver and he probably wouldn't want you to either. Now here's some things that Last Week Tonight is: thought-provoking, inventive, bold, reliable and hilarious. With an established formula now in place, the strengths of the show are when it dares to break away from that formula. I'm talking about moments like buying airtime on Trinidadian television to slate a corrupt FIFA official, attacking television preachers with Our Lady of Perpetual Exemption, making a deal to drink a Bud Light Lime if Sepp Blatter gets suspended and following through and getting Jeff the Diseased Lung onto T-shirts in Togo. But even without any of those Last Week Tonight would still make my list for one of the ballsiest moments in entertainment I've ever seen. Over the summer, John Oliver beat out actual news networks by getting a face to face interview with Edward Snowden. You might expect that Oliver would use this opportunity for a comedic, sycophantic ego-boost to Snowden but you'd be very, very wrong. Oliver challenges Snowden at every step by presenting a realistic appraisal of America's (lack of) interest in Snowden's actions. When Oliver plays Snowden clips of people not having any clue who Snowden is or what he did it's a crushing moment. And then he turns it around, relating the issue to the average American through the medium of dick pics. All in all, it's fascinating viewing that shows exactly why Last Week Tonight is necessary television.

9. iZombie
(CW)

“I literally got screwed into becoming a zombie hooker” - Natalie

On paper, iZombie is a tricky sell. A promising doctor turns into a zombie, transfers to a police morgue so she can eat brains that give her the victim's personality and visions of their life that she then uses to solve their murders. It's even more complicated in the comic. But through the combination of the writing and acting, this mash up of Tru Calling and the Walking Dead works. In particular, iZombie's biggest strength is the way it mixes procedural cases with serial elements. Each week Liv investigates a murder and while doing so the victim's personality inevitably drives on the overall mytharc that digs into the roots of the zombie outbreak. But while it's Rose McIver's deft personality switches that deserve the majority of the acting credit, the true highlight of iZombie is the Fall and Further Fall of Major Lilywhite. Originally presented as Liv's bland ex-fiancée, Major is broadened out by his interest in looking after disadvantaged and displaced teens, a goal that soon brings him into contact with the zombie mafia's (yes, it's a thing) underground brain service line. From there things only get worse as Major goes on a path that sees him lose his job, get arrested, go to a mental asylum, blow up a meat shop, learn the truth about zombies, become a zombie, be cured of being a zombie, be hired as a zombie-targeting hitman, become a drug addict, bang his ex-fiancée's evil roommate and get dumped by his now ex-ex-fiancée. Yes, the writers turned Major from a vanilla love interest into a blind puppy that just keeps getting kicked and it's the best thing they ever could have done. Oh, and did I mention? That zombie cure? Yeah, that's temporary. Poor Major.

8. Survivor
(CBS)

“After the last twenty four hours, Tasha, Jeremy and I aren't good with splitting the vote.” - Spencer Bledsoe

Thirty one seasons in and you might have thought that Survivor had run out of tricks. Well, you'd think wrong. Forget about Worlds Apart, a terrible season of terrible doing being terrible to each other terribly. This year Survivor makes my list on the strength of Second Chances, a season which I can say without an inch of hyperbole is the best season of Survivor ever. Things looked promising right from the start, where America voted in their pick of twenty previous one-time contestants from a wide array of choices and the casting is top notch with nary a dud pick. Joe, Chaos Kass, Savage, Ciera, the cast is like a wishlist. On top of this, the show's theme implied an automatic narrative of player's working to fix their previous mistakes that provided the show with a number of easy to follow arcs. And then there was the game itself. In Second Chances the game was played with an intensity and speed that has never been seen before. Players took strategy to a whole new level as we saw the introduction of voting blocks over alliances and shields over goats. Producers responded in kind with new twists such as stolen votes and immunity idols placed at challenges, the latter of which led to some incredibly tense television. There was even a tribal council that resulted in no votes cast for anyone and a situation so complicated Jeff Probst had to take a whiteboard in a John Madden-esque moment to explain the eventual result. All of this culminated in the most satisfying final four in the show's existence. There was Wentworth, a tenacious fighter who played from the bottom and redeemed Kellys the world over. There was Tasha who had reversed a 4-2 minority and literal hell on Angkor. There was Jeremy, the dependable glue that kept his team together. And there was Spencer, no longer the gamebot of old but a player that combined strategic foresight with genuine emotion. In the end, it didn't matter who won, any of them would have been deserving. For that's what Second Chances was from start to finish: constantly satisfying, constantly thrilling and constantly brilliant.

7. Faking It
(MTV)
Last Year: 10

”I can't keep getting back on track! The track is just a loop that runs straight through my heart!” - Amy Raudenfield

This is the first time Faking It is going to appear in a top 10 list and you know what? You should all be very, very ashamed of yourselves. Yes, it's on MTV and sure, it's a high school comedy but put those reservations aside because Faking It is the best show on television that nobody is watching. Last year I praised the show for the way it focused on secrets, on the hidden pains that we refuse to share because we can't admit to feeling them. This year Faking It took that conceit and doubled down, layering on lie after lie until they tumbled down like a house of cards. Ironically, for a show about secrets no show is better at showing raw, brutal truth as it veers from one painful conversation to another. But at the same time there is catharsis. There are moments of joy and triumph such as Lauren accepting herself by accepting the acceptance of others or Amy releasing her father so that her mother can feel free. And then there's THAT kiss, the less said about which the better. All of this is wrapped up in a wickedly smart show that takes no prisoners whether its targeting liberal tree-hugging or corporate conservatism. Yes, Faking It is still a comedy but at the same time it's so much more. This is comedy with heart and truth.

6. The Genius
(tvN)
Last Year: 7

“The dog will defeat its master” - Kyunghoon

'It's not the end,' they said. 'Just an all stars season,' they said. But now it seems that's not so much and this is the last time the Genius will appear in my list of the year. Well, if it was going to go out then this was the way to do so, with the best season the show has seen. In running a season cast with previous competitors the show was able to bring back fan favourites such as Kyungran, Hyunmin and the Mentality King, all of whom remain adored by the fanbase. But that's not all, the Genius went all out with its all-star season and brought back every single winner for a true battle of the titans. Which is just as well seeing as Jinho, Sangmin and Dongmin were respectively the most exciting part of their seasons. The games remain as intricate and intriguing as ever while the editing is constantly smart to provide a number of Extreme Ways moments. But none of this matters, the Genius Grand Final is really the story of one man, a man who rose from the title of Titty God to Titty King. Yes, for some reason Grand Final chose to bring back Kyunghoon, an early season 3 elimination who later yelled at critics on the internet. At first, Kyunghoon seemed as inept as ever, barely scraping through the games while ruining the chances for his allies as well. But slowly, ever so slowly, something started to change. It began with his shocking death match victory over our beloved Sangmin. 'Total fluke!' we said. 'Season sucks!' we said. Nobody recognised the expertise with which Kyunghoon had bluffed his way to the win. And then somehow, some way, Kyunghoon just kept on winning and his fan base kept on growing until he was the favourite of the season. And in this way the Titty King made his way all the way to the final showdown. Could he overcome his final challenge and become a triple king slayer? Well, there's a reason we don't call him Titty Emperor. But even so, the Genius Grand Final manages to tell an arc to a quality rarely seen in reality TV.

5. Agents of Shield
(ABC)
Last Year: 2

“Science, biatch.” - Leo Fitz

I only have one regret from last year's list. I didn't make Agents of Shield my #1. On reflection, I really should have because it's quality was top notch but in the back of my head I was thinking 'there's always next year'. Since then, Agents of Shield has only got better. So simple choice, right? Any other year, it certainly would be. But not this year. Not 2015. Not in the era of peak TV. The truth is that my top 5 was always locked in place but the order of the top 5 was in constant flux. Any previous year, any of these shows would have topped my list but in 2015 they must compete for my points. And so it's with a heavy heart that I proclaim Agents of Shield my #5 show because it's been fantastic all year and it deserves better. Anyway, enough self-indulgent babble, on with the important stuff.

Watching Agents of Shield in 2015 has been a constant roller-coaster of excitement, following a plot that never threatens to stall. In the space of one year we've had Skye turning into Daisy Johnson, the real SHIELD, Jaiying's Inhuman sanctuary, the redemption of Cal, Ward and Kara's “epic” love, the guy who kills Gordon, Simmons on an alien planet, Constance Zimmer, May's ex-husband turning into a serial killer and everything all wrapping up right where it started in a big HYDRA conspiracy. But honestly? None of that really matters. At the end of the day I would be happy to watch these characters just sit around drinking beer. That's the true strength of Agents of Shield. For a show that began as mere extension of the MCU where the only thrill was waiting to spot a reference, the writers have done great work in turning these people into living, breathing, loving characters for whom I feel far more affection than any of the movie big names. How can you not love Hunter, the cocky rascal who's always in over his head? How can you not love Daisy, a girl who was handed a gun by her psycho stalker and immediately shot him in the back? And then there's Fitz, a.k.a. the single most awesomest guy on the planet. This is a guy who immediately stood by his friend when she got super powers and everyone wanted to lock her up, a guy who upon finding out his crush fell in love on an alien planet immediately starts researching ways to bring her beloved back, a guy who jumped through a literal hole in the frigging universe. Twice. I love all these characters, I love the cast and that's what makes Agents of Shield the best part of the MCU.

...Hang on a minute.

gently caress.

4. Mr. Robot
(USA)

”Please tell me you're seeing this too.” - Elliot Alderson

The first time I became aware of Mr. Robot was in the general chat thread in TVIV. 'Mr. Robot?' I thought to myself, 'That's a dumb name.' I skimmed over any chatter from then on, which is why for a long time I thought it was some kind of cartoon sketch show (I'm guessing I was comparing it to Robot Chicken). It's not as I was eventually happy to learn. Instead, it's one of the smartest, most well crafted pieces of television I've seen in a long time. The show is centred around Elliot, an IT security tech by day and vigilante hacker by night but while the show might seem like a techno-thriller at a cursory glance it's true interest lies in capturing mental health issues. Rami Malek's performance is award-worthy, beautifully capturing a man struggling against depression, autism, anxiety, drug addiction and paranoid schizophrenia. All of this is enhanced by the cinematography, music, sound and writing as Elliot's mental health spirals further and further out of control presenting a narrative where nothing can be taken for granted and everything we see must be second guessed. And of course, there's the twist. It would be remiss to talk about Mr. Robot without talking about the twist. Even me, even while thinking it was still some bizarre chicken sketch comedy, I'd heard about the twist. Christian Slater. Was he real? Was he Tyler Durden? It was a discussion that dominated the chat thread over the summer. But at the end of the day, it didn't matter whether he was real or not. All that mattered was Elliot perceived him as real. More than any other show on this I am fascinated to see where Mr. Robot goes next year. Without the question of the twist to anchor the show will the quality be able to remain high? Judging from what I've seen so far I have every faith that it will.

3. Daredevil
(Netflix)

”Be careful of the Murdock boys, they got the devil in 'em.” - Matt Murdock

No show in 2015 had a higher anticipation level for me than Daredevil. It's Marvel, a world-dominating brand with a proven track record. It's Netflix, an online network focused on pushing outstanding content. It's Daredevil, one of Marvel's darkest characters with a long history and a number of gripping storylines to pull from. It's Charlie Cox, an actor who I've loved since Stardust and missed since Boardwalk Empire. My hype levels were off the charts. Yet somehow Daredevil managed to not just meet those levels but exceed them. There are so many great aspects to this show to talk about but any discussion of Daredevil has to start with the fight scenes. The action on Daredevil is like nothing else on television. The stunt work is insane with high level martial arts mixed with flips Roy from Arrow can only dream of doing. But it's more than just that, it's also how much the action hurts. Matt Murdock is not invincible. Most times in fights he ends up getting more beat up than his opponent. However, he just keeps on coming like a relentless force until he wins. Just look at the corridor fight or the fight with Nobu, two outstanding pieces of action work that deliver on every level. Action aside, what works about Daredevil is that it assumes the viewer is smart, this is The Wire of superhero shows. Scenes are given room to breathe, characters don't explain their whole personalities in their first appearance, even the origin of Matt's powers is revealed slowly. It would be remiss to talk about Daredevil without talking about its villain. Vincent D'Onoforio puts in sterling work as Wilson Fisk (known to us comic fans as the Kingpin), exuding menace and tenderness in equal measure. His work is matched throughout the cast although particular mention must go to Elden Henson as Matt's best friend and business partner, Foggy. Putting down a grounded performance, Elden's Foggy is the stable base that reminds us why Matt keeps fighting. That is until the best episode of the season, Nelson vs Murdock, wherein Foggy finds out about his friend's secret life and their friendship is rent apart in an emotionally raw conversation that is lengthy, draining and impeccably acted. But that's what Daredevil is all about, whether its in its fight scenes or in its emotional scenes its about leaving everything on the table and that's what makes Daredevil the best part of the MCU.

...Hold up.

Oh come on!

2. Sense8
(Netflix)

”The violence I realised was unforgivable was the violence we do to ourselves when we're too afraid to be who we really are.” - Nomi Marks

This summer addition to Netflix's lineup comes from the Wachowski Siblings, so long known for self-indulgent turds of cinema that ruin the legacy of the original Matrix movie. Telling the story of eight disparate characters who realise they can share senses, feelings and skills, Sense8 seemed like it would only add to that legacy. That is, right up until the moment it dropped on Netflix. In actuality Sense8 is television of the highest calibre: stunning, moving and sometimes even haunting. The first thing that stands out is the sheer beauty of the visuals. Bringing their film experience to the small screens allows the Wachowskis to make their set pieces pop with vibrancy and with the show filmed across nine international locations there's a wide variety of them to choose from. An LGBT pride march in San Francisco bursts with all the colour of the rainbow. An underground kick-boxing arena in Seoul is oppressive yet electric. An icy blizzard in Reykjavik is desolate and isolating. In the early episodes when the story is still gathering pace the visuals alone are enough to carry the show. But the visuals are nothing compared to the show's true attraction: the characters. There are eight sensates and while some will always be more interesting than others there's not a dud in the bunch. There's Riley, an Icelandic DJ trying to bury a traumatic past; Will, a Chicago cop who doesn't know when to walk away; Nomi, a transsexual hacker where the fact she's transsexual is the least interesting thing about her; Kala, an Indian woman struggling to accept her arranged marriage; Wolfgang, a German safecracker trying to be less of a monster; Capheus, an African bus driver obsessed with Jean Claude Van Damme; Sun, a Korean businesswoman who can barely contain her constant rage and Lito, a Mexican actor trying to keep his public and private personas separate. Each sensate has their own storyline, some are big in drama and scope and some are small but all are treated equal and the show jumps between them with a deft touch. However, as great as these individual stories are, nothing compares to the moments where the sensates come together in shared experience. Make no mistake about it, Sense8 is a slow burn and if you need your television to be constantly moving forward then it is not the show for you. But if you're prepared to sit back and take in the sights and sounds and feelings then you'll be heavily rewarded because more than any other television show going, Sense8 is art.

1. Jessica Jones
(Netflix)

”He's always in here.” - Jessica Jones

On Friday 20th November at 8am GMT I sat down to begin the first episode of Jessica Jones. On Friday 20th November at about 8:20pm GMT I finished the series. I immediately ran to my nearest shop and bought a bottle of wine, a packet of cigarettes and a big tub of ice cream. I then spent the rest of the evening drinking, smoking and staring at a wall. This is why Jessica Jones is my favourite TV show of 2015. Not because it's the best written show out there (it's not), not because it's the best acted show out there (it's very good, but still not) but because Jessica Jones took me to an emotional place that no other TV show has ever reached.

The titular Jessica is an anti-superhero. Sure she has superpowers but she barely uses them, she doesn't try to save others because she can barely save herself. Instead she spends her time drinking, screwing, swearing, working as a private investigator, avoiding the world and stalking a really hot bartender. It turns out this all stems back to the one time she did try to be a hero where she drew the attention of a man called Kilgrave, a man with the power to make anyone want to do exactly what to he tells them to. The details are exactly as dark as you'd expect them to be and that's where Jessica Jones's strength lies, it delves into a layer of bleakness unlike anything seen on television. Jessica's abuse has left her suffering from PTSD and survivor's guilt and the show doesn't shy away from those themes. Indeed in Jessica's vivid flashbacks and constant paranoia the show perfectly captures the effects of PTSD, ably aided by Krysten Ritter who is fantastic in capturing the disparity between Jessica's public front and private pain. But where there is darkness there is also light and amidst all this pain and hurt Jessica still shines. She's not a hero because she beat a bad guy or because she saved the world. She's a hero because she survives, and sometimes that's enough.

Created by Melissa Rosenberg and using predominantly women for crew members, Jessica Jones puts forward a feminist perspective unlike any other show on television. Beyond Jessica herself there's her best friend, Trish; her fellow abuse survivor, Hope and her work contact, Jeri, all of whom have their own stories and arcs. The friendship between Jessica and Trish is the driving force of the show and the crux around which its conclusion is based. Meanwhile, Jeri has her own storyline involving her ex-wife and her new lover. Yes, this is a show focused on what it means to be a woman.

Against this viewpoint stands Kilgrave, the purest distillation of male entitlement. Here is a man who has literally always been given everything he's ever wanted. Unable to accept responsibility for his actions, Kilgrave blames everyone else and in turn accuses them or being complicit in their abuse. David Tennant takes every mistake he made playing the Tenth Doctor and turns it into a skin-crawling performance that justifiably sets hairs on edge. Then there's Simpson, the noble white knight who will save women from their abuser and in doing so strip them of their agency. Even when Simpson has good intentions he still belittles Jessica and Trish, refusing to believe they have the strength to fight their own battles and always thinking that he knows better. From there things only get worse as Simpson descends into full blown Men's Rights Activist, munching down on a red pill (hello Reddit!) to find the strength to make sure those pesky women know their place. Where Kilgrave is an overt dig at the patriarchy, Simpson is much more subtle.

That's not to say that Jessica Jones hates men. Ok, sure, there's the one white rich guy who compares his pain over losing a jacket to Kilgrave as equal to Jessica's rape but on the whole the struggles men face in society are given equal weight. Even Simpson is to be empathised with having suffered his own abuse at the hands of Kilgrave. But where Jessica is allowed to feel the weight of hers, Simpson is a man and therefore must not show weakness which leads to his reckless behaviour and aggressive outbursts. In Simpson we see that traditional gender stereotypes can be just as damaging and restrictive to men as women. And then there's Malcolm, Jessica's neighbour who ignores the path of violence to instead travel to a place of understanding and acceptance. It's no surprise that in embracing his own empathy Malcolm is held up as one of the biggest heroes on the show. And you don't need to be a woman to do that.

I realise that I have written a hell of a lot of words about Jessica Jones but it's a show that demands such attention. There is so much going on in there to unpack, so much that can be read into it. I haven't even mentioned Luke Cage or that this is another Marvel output! But when it comes down to it these are the reasons Jessica Jones is my favourite show of year, probably the decade and maybe of all time. Never before have I felt so connected to a show, like a show understood and represented my viewpoint and my experience. I mean, the climax of the show is a pointed blast at men who tell women 'Cheer up, give us a smile!' I cannot tell you how many times me and my friends have complained to each other about that very topic. I can't put it any clearer than this: Jessica Jones is essential viewing. And the best part of the MCU.

...Wait a second.

Yeah, there we go.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Senerio posted:

Wrong. Look at #9 on my list. :colbert:

I realised that while tallying my own points :negative:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Senerio posted:

As penance, watch Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. I think it's right up your alley, as it hits all the notes that made us both watch glee without going full Ryan Murphy.

I watched the first couple of episodes, the musical numbers were great but not worth sitting through the rest of the episode for.

Illinois Smith posted:

yeah sorry nope

Your loss

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Escobarbarian posted:

I know this goes against the rules of the thread but can someone who spent years freaking out about goddamn Orphan Black and still puts AoS in their top 5 really do the whole "you should all be ashamed of yourself for not watching this blah blah" thing? Can they really be allowed?

(to be more serious I quite like the list, it's nice to see detailed reasons as to why JJ can be truly meaningful to someone even though I personally can't get over the [many] flaws)

Orphan Black and Agents of Shield are good shows liked by lots of people :)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

JUICY HAMBUGAR posted:

I liked the first season of Faking It when the creators were all excited to bring us a gay girl on TV. I mean I had a few reservations because gay men who write gay women always seem to ruin the poo poo out of it (mostly Ryan Murphy).

Then they had Amy do her drunk hookup and admit she still liked men on occasion. Would Carter Covington ever let that poo poo happen with his Gary Stu, Shane? No. Not. Ever.

I, and quite a few other gay women I know, really felt betrayed by the show and what they pulled with Amy. And it was kind of a big deal because gay women are criminally underrepresented on networks compared to gay men, even moreso when Faking It was launching. Theres an epidemic of women who spend some time with a single woman and then go back to men, often permanently and mostly for ratings. The representation for men who partner up with other men is not like that, they tend to be gay and stay gay (and that is in its own way criminal, robbing men of bisexuality). So there is distrust there.

I completely disagree with this criticism. Yes, in the past we have seen women go gay for sweeps before settling back into a long term relationship with a man but this is so clearly not a situation like that. What Amy is going through is a very common thing that gay girls (I'm one of those too, for the record) experience even after their first crush on a girl. We all know that being a lesbian doesn't mean gaining an automatic revulsion to naked boys and Amy is wondering whether not being revolted means she can be with a guy, and of course that's ignoring the fact that sexual attraction can be separate from romantic attraction. What we've seen on the show is that she had a drunken emotionless hookup with Liam and then a minor flirtation with Felix, the latter of which has never been portrayed as being on the same level as Amy's interest in Karma or even Reagan. Lesbian representation has come a long way with shows like Orange is the New Black, Sense8 and Jessica Jones and I believe there is space in the TV landscape for a show to cater to a storyline that will connect very closely with a section of MTV's prime demographic of teenage girls. If Amy ends up marrying and settling down with a guy would that retroactively ruin the series? Definitely. Is there any chance of that happening? Definitely not. People keep freaking out about this possibility even though they're ignoring all of the context that the show has laid down.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm starting to gather together resources for the final list reveal. Get hype, people, it's going to be a blast.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Just a heads up guys, I'm staying in a hostel that blocks the SA forums on my laptop until January 2nd so the results won't come out immediately on the 1st. I'm hoping to get them up over the 2nd and 3rd and they'll be worth the wait, oh yes.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
*collates data*

Hmm

Hmmmmm

Interesting...

Results start going up from 4pm GMT tomorrow.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Friends, gather round! Yes, come in, come in! I see you hiding at the back, you can get closer! Everybody settled? Good. Welcome to the TV IV Official Goon Poll of 2015! Once again, the brightest minds of TV IV (and also Zaggitz) came together to put all the television produced in 2015 under their critical eye where they could weigh up each show's true merit before throwing that out entirely and voting for professional wrestling. Oh, I kid, I kid. We'll talk about the results in a moment but first let's crunch some numbers.

This year saw a big resurge in participation after 2014's fallow year with 68 people submitting lists. Between you you named 134 shows and while that number is stable when compared to previous years those shows crossed 47 different networks, which I imagine must surely be a record. Another thing worthy of note is that 24 shows were listed #1 at least once! Peak TV is in effect! It was also an international affair as well with shows coming from as far and wide as Australia, Sweden, France and Japan. All in all, 8 countries were involved over 4 separate continents!

So let's talk about results. We're going to do things a little differently this year. From the bottom up to #51 everything will be like before but once we break in to the top 50 ties will be broken by the countback rule, i.e. whichever show received the most top spot places will come out ahead followed by most second places and so on. The reason for this will become apparent in time. As it is, here are some things we need to think about :

• In 2014, Hannibal came through a hotly contested race to take the prized #1 position. With 2015 being its final season, can it go out in style by holding on to the top spot for a second year?
  • And what of the show that came oh so close to winning it all last time out? Season 2 of Fargo pulled a True Detective by finding a whole new cast (and even time era!) and many have felt it was weaker for the change. Will that damage its chances of going all the way?
  • Brooklyn Nine-Nine flew the flag for comedy in 2014 with a highly respectable #4 finish. The show is starting to show its age but is still beloved. Will it be able to become the first ever sitcom to top our poll?
  • Another comedy to find success in 2014 was Rick and Morty. Its sophomore season putting in another strong set of episodes. Can the legion of Dan Harmon fans take the show to new heights?
  • And then there's one of comedy's biggest hitters in years past. Parks and Recreation came to an end in 2015 with a series of emotional episodes that encapsulated its feel-good atmosphere. How will the show fare in its final year in our poll?
  • The first season of The Leftovers was seen as a failure by many. Messy, desolate and depressing, it ended up finishing in the middle of the pack at #48. However, season 2 has been acclaimed as a strong turnaround, could we see it take a massive climb?
  • One of the big stories in 2014 was the success of DC's television department. Both Arrow and The Flash impressed with big, bold storytelling that saw each of them make the top 10. Will they be able to repeat their success this time around?
  • And then there's the competition. Marvel's Agents of SHIELD was the biggest shock of all, taking the Highest Climber award by rising a massive 62 places to break into the top 10. Despite heavy criticism that fanbase remains loyal, can they keep the show steady or maybe even push it on to new heights?
  • But that's not all that came our way from Marvel in 2015. Their new relationship with Netflix gave us Daredevil and Jessica Jones. How high can they hit in their first appearance?
  • Another of Netflix's new shows was perhaps the most divisive show of the year. While many hailed Sense8 for its strong character work and beautiful cinematography just as many others derided it for its slow pacing and LGBT sermonising. With so many strong opinions out there, what will its final placing be?
  • And then there's the one that nobody saw coming. For years, USA has been known for light and breezy procedurals but in 2015 Mr. Robot came out of nowhere with what might be the most innovative storytelling of the year. Can it make a push for the #1 position in its debut year?
  • But perhaps the show best set to get the top spot on its first appearance is Better Call Saul. With the weight of Vince Gilligan and the pedigree of its predecessor well established, can it emulate Breaking Bad by going all the way?

These are questions that will all be answered in time but first let's get the preamble out of the way. Here's how things look below the top 50.

121=. 19-2 (Bravo Canada)
121=. Versailles (Canal Plus)
121=. The Muppets (ABC)
121=. Crime Scene (tvN)
121=. The Affair (ITV)
121=. Inside Amy Schumer (Comedy Central)
121=. Jordskott (SVT1)
121=. The Chris Getherd Show (Fusion)
121=. Legends (TNT)
121=. Blue Bloods (CBS)
121=. Olive Kitteridge (HBO)
121=. Galavant (ABC)
121=. Shirobako (Tokyo MX)
121=. Supergirl (CBS)
112=. Teen Wolf (MTV)
112=. Halt and Catch Fire (AMC)
112=. Other Space (Yahoo)
112=. Gotham (Fox)
112=. The Brink (HBO)
112=. New Girl (Fox)
112=. Narcos (Netflix)
112=. The Carbonaro Effect (TruTV)
112=. American Crime (ABC)
105=. Hawaii Five-O (CBS)
105=. Constantine (NBC)
105=. Life in Pieces (CBS)
105=. Transparent (Amazon)
105=. How To Get Away With Murder (ABC)
105=. Cucumber (Channel 4)
105=. Bloodline (Netflix)
98=. The Last Kingdom (BBC America)
98=. Fear the Walking Dead (AMC)
98=. The Middle (ABC)
98=. The Bridge (SVT1)
98=. Humans (Channel 4)
98=. Red Oaks (Amazon)
98=. The Librarians (TNT)
94=. Gatchaman CROWDS Insight (Nippon TNS)
94=. Louie (FX)
94=. Younger (TV Land)
94=. The Blacklist (NBC)
85=. Show Me A Hero (HBO)
85=. Outlander (Starz)
85=. Elementary (CBS)
85=. Late Show with Steven Colbert (CBS)
85=. Catastrophe (Channel 4)
85=. Killjoys (Space)
85=. WWE NXT (WWE Network)
85=. Faking It (MTV)
85=. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (FXX)
80=. Forever (ABC)
80=. Orange is the New Black (Netflix)
80=. Star Wars: Rebels (Disney XD)
80=. Kingdom (Audience)
80=. Battlebots (ABC)
79. Making A Murderer (Netflix)
70=. Powers (Sony)
70=. Playing House (USA)
70=. South Park (Comedy Central)
70=. With Bob and David (Netflix)
70=. The Kroll Show (Comedy Central)
70=. Mozart in the Jungle (Amazon)
70=. Masterchef Australia (Network Ten)
70=. Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief (HBO)
70=. Another Period (Comedy Central)
64=. The Last Man on Earth (Fox)
64=. Strike Back (Cinemax)
64=. The Neighbors (Hulu)
64=. American Horror Story (FX)
64=. Adventure Time (Cartoon Network)
64=. Wayward Pines (Fox)
62=. Documentary Now! (IFC)
62=. Bob's Burgers (Fox)
58=. The Grinder (Fox)
58=. The Walking Dead (AMC)
58=. Jane the Virgin (The CW)
58=. Arrow (The CW)
56=. 12 Monkeys (SyFy)
56=. Lucha Underground (El Rey)
54=. Ash vs. Evil Dead (Starz)
54=. Agent Carter (ABC)
51=. Fresh Off The Boat (ABC)
51=. Scream Queens (Fox)
51=. Black Sails (Starz)

Look at that! Arrow's not even in the top 50! In fact, Arrow had the lowest fall of any show in our poll, dropping a huge 55 places. In reverse, Black Sails was the highest riser with a climb of 73 places. Even more surprising, somebody voted for American Horror Story!

But enough of the also-rans, I'll be back soon with #50-41. Are you getting excited yet?

Rarity fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 2, 2016

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rocksicles posted:

Quit milking it rarity...

Oh, you ain't seen nothing yet

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
#50-41

Ok kids, let's get this show on the road!

===

White Rabbit posted:

it gets crazier than one could imagine

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Satire doesn't need to be this great.

Jeremy posted:

Just the perfect amount of absurdity

Jerusalem posted:

A welcome return to the infectious silliness of the movie

:siren: Click on the images for a surprise! Warning: may contain spoilers. :siren:

50. WET HOT AMERICAN SUMMER (NETFLIX)
NEW ENTRY
17 points, listed 5 times

===

buddhanc posted:

Intriguing storyline and really great action.

smg77 posted:

A return to form

EL BROMANCE posted:

I have to give them credit for essentially making a new show with existing characters.

49. HOMELAND (SHOWTIME)
RE-ENTRY
17 points, listed 3 times

===

Joramun posted:

Still the most beautiful, gripping and affecting drama on TV.

ShakeZula posted:

The fact that this show doesn’t get nominated for every acting award every year is a crime.

48. RECTIFY (SUNDANCE)
DOWN 11
17 points, listed 2 times

===

xcore posted:

I'll keep fighting for this show whenever I can until more people watch it.

X-O posted:

I've talked about this show over and over again so if you've ever read one of my lists you know what's great about it. And it's all still great.

47. SHAMELESS (SHOWTIME)
DOWN 16
18 points, listed 3 times

===

IRQ posted:

This season was a spectacular bloodbath of craziness.

DarklyDreaming posted:

one out of many images from the show that can be called "Metal as gently caress”

Hakkesshu posted:

Maybe the best large scale battle sequence I've seen on TV.

X-O posted:

I don't really look forward to any show week to week like I do this one.

46. VIKINGS (HISTORY)
DOWN 6
20 points, listed 5 times, #1 spot 1 time

===

Toxxupation posted:

A brilliant, moving finale

X-O posted:

An actor's showcase.

CeeJee posted:

The most stubborn and compelling protagonist on TV.

Shageletic posted:

I was astonished to see the level of intelligence and craft involved with this.

45. MANHATTAN (WGN)
DOWN 21
21 points, listed 5 times

===

adhuin posted:

There were many nice experimental episodes that just worked.

Jerusalem posted:

Still one of my favorite shows.

BSam posted:

There's never been a single bad episode of this show, and that is still true to this day.

44. DOCTOR WHO (BBC1)
DOWN 24
22 points, listed 5 times

===

Little Mac posted:

The new cast integrated very well and the old cast was on fire.

EccoRaven posted:

I am flabbergasted happy to see it finally go in peace to love and serve the weird.

MrAristocrates posted:

I love this beautiful and still deeply flawed thing too much to ignore it.

43. COMMUNITY (YAHOO)
DOWN 4
23 points, listed 5 times

===

Shneak posted:

A strong contained story arc.

achillesforever6 posted:

I'm glad that this show is going to end on hopefully a high note and thankfully end on their own terms.

Spatula City posted:

He's more into solving mysteries, she's more into having a good time. Often those desires conflict, but at the end of the day, they have each other's back, and there will be an awkward sibling hug.

EccoRaven posted:

I even hand-made a Vigenere Cipher key to use for the final credit puzzles.

42. GRAVITY FALLS (DISNEY XD)
DOWN 11
24 points, listed 5 times

===

Spatula City posted:

It's a show that celebrates empathy and love and sincerity.

EccoRaven posted:

Definitely a highlight of the year.

HorseRenoir posted:

A cute, heartfelt show that's funny to watch and has a well-developed, likable cast of characters.

Regy Rusty posted:

I started to realize that this was something truly great.

41. STEVEN UNIVERSE (CARTOON NETWORK)
UP 4
24 points, listed 4 times

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
#40-31

Fast Luck posted:

A part of television history.

Toxxupation posted:

It's the most outright "perfect" season of all the shows on this list.

Shageletic posted:

I mean, what the gently caress was this?!

Problematic Pigeon posted:

Life is stranger than fiction.

40. THE JINX (HBO)
NEW ENTRY
26 points, listed 7 times

:toot: BEST DOCUMENTARY
:toot:

===

Pan Dulce posted:

A potentially awful premise, but actually turns out great.

Digital Jedi posted:

Wasn't expecting it to be as awesome as it is.

buddhanc posted:

The most surprising show of the year.

karrethuun posted:

Holy cow most unexpected surprise show of the year.

39. LIMITLESS (CBS)
NEW ENTRY
27 points, listed 6 times

===

Zaggitz posted:

When it hits, it really hits.

Cart posted:

Just keeps doubling down on the insanity and being as balls out as possible.

Rocksicles posted:

Angriest man on the planet vs the World's Biggest Indian vs the Angriest Marine who ever lived.

bou posted:

This is what happens when you perch a lot of Alpha-males and -females in a small town in the middle of nowhere.

:siren: Warning: linked video contains excessive gore and violence :siren:

38. BANSHEE (CINEMAX)
UP 19
30 points, listed 5 times, #1 spot 1 time

===

xcore posted:

This show is an absolute gem.

Joramun posted:

A wholly unique plane of creativity.

HorseRenoir posted:

Each episode finds some new and clever way to be as awkwardly hilarious as possible.

EL BROMANCE posted:

It feels too good to be legit, but its too legit to be scripted.

37. NATHAN FOR YOU (COMEDY CENTRAL)
DOWN 19
34 points, listed 6 times

===

Escobarbarian posted:

Somewhat frustrating and opaque to begin with before opening up to reveal the true hurt at its center.

sbaldrick posted:

It speaks to the heart of the show where things don't stop just because the camera does.

Toxxupation posted:

I consider it one of the best and, more importantly, one of my favorite shows I've ever seen.

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

It ended exactly as it needed to.

36. MAD MEN (AMC)
DOWN 6
34 points, listed 5 times

===

buddhanc posted:

An amazing watch every week.

Jerusalem posted:

Didn't for a second take itself too seriously.

Snak posted:

Despite it’s overall lighthearted tone, there were some good character moments that elevated this above a completely formulaic sitdramady.

sbaldrick posted:

It had a giant loving shark man.

35. THE FLASH (THE CW)
DOWN 29
37 points, listed 7 times

===

Snak posted:

There's so many ways this show could go wrong, and it somehow doesn't.

sbaldrick posted:

The deep mythology makes the show better then worse.

Regy Rusty posted:

Doubling down on insane conspiracies has really paid off.

Pan Dulce posted:

You see them rolling in cash in their underwear.

34. ORPHAN BLACK (BBC AMERICA)
DOWN 12
38 points, listed 8 times

===

Junkenstein posted:

Makes my list every year.

EL BROMANCE posted:

This show just keeps getting better somehow.

Illinois Smith posted:

My favorite cast in comedy today.

X-O posted:

The highest funny joke density of any show on television.

33. VEEP (HBO)
DOWN 13
41 points, listed 8 times

===

CeeJee posted:

The show has a ton of heart along with a staggering pace.

Slamhound posted:

B-movie action done to perfection.

DarklyDreaming posted:

Every now and then something happens that is ridiculous in just the right way.

IRQ posted:

A few people seem to virulently hate this show for being what it is. I would posit that those people hate fun.

32. Z NATION (SYFY)
DOWN 8
41 points, listed 6 times, #1 spot 1 time

===

centaurtainment posted:

A thoroughly modern television show.

Jeremy posted:

I found myself rooting for the group of characters to succeed more than I probably should considering its a comedy rather than a drama.

Ernie. posted:

It's a show that understands that quotables can't just be witty one liners, they have to embody an entire character in their structure.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

If you're not watching it, you're stupid.

31. SILICON VALLEY (HBO)
DOWN 19
42 points, listed 8 times

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
#30-21

Asiina posted:

Anything could conceivably happen.

bagrada posted:

It's can't miss TV for us for the last decade.

Fast Luck posted:

It's not always 11th dimensional chess, but what it does do is give you something to think about after every single episode.

Rarity posted:

The game was played with an intensity and speed that has never been seen before.

MrBuddyLee posted:

Blindside after #blindside.

30. SURVIVOR (CBS)
RE-ENTRY
43 points, listed 7 times

===

Fast Luck posted:

This is a show that demands your full attention.

Regy Rusty posted:

I was devastated to discover that the latest season would in fact be the last.

xcore posted:

If this was the final season, what a great way to go out.

Zythrst posted:

It just insanely compelling the concept of the games, the exciting editing, the music cues.

Rarity posted:

Manages to tell an arc to a quality rarely seen in reality TV.

29. THE GENIUS (TVN)
UP 19
44 points, listed 6 times, #1 spot 1 time

:toot: BEST REALITY SHOW :toot:
:toot: BEST INTERNATIONAL SHOW

===

Not A Twat posted:

It's like Louie, except not as depressing.

Air is lava! posted:

It felt interesting since it talked about unusual topics.

Little Mac posted:

I find myself identifying with various characters throughout the show.

Sober posted:

I'm glad that avenue is open and I hope that it influences more people to add their voices to the mix.

Zaggitz posted:

The first sitcom truly tailor made for my generation.

28. MASTER OF NONE (NETFLIX)
NEW ENTRY
45 points, listed 10 times

===

Pet Rock Band posted:

This was a brutal season of TV.

JUICY HAMBUGAR posted:

I love how horrible everyone is.

CeeJee posted:

How they got me to care for such horrible people I have no idea.

xeria posted:

Everyone is a terrible person on this show but it's loving captivating to watch it all unfold.

Spatula City posted:

It's about nothing less than how the media perpetuates destructive expectations of femininity, enabled by two powerful female characters.

27. UNREAL (LIFETIME)
NEW ENTRY
46 points, listed 9 times

===

EL BROMANCE posted:

Perfect balance between humour and horror.

Shageletic posted:

A new and positive development for all of TV.

Rarity posted:

Thought-provoking, inventive, bold, reliable and hilarious.

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Nobody is better at pointing out the absurdities of our hosed up, stupid world.

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

This show fondles my balls.

26. LAST WEEK TONIGHT (HBO)
DOWN 20
47 points, listed 11 times

:toot: BEST LATE NIGHT SHOW

===

smg77 posted:

I think it's an acquired taste but I've come to really enjoy everything about the show.

Goofballs posted:

Funny, gross, tragic.

centaurtainment posted:

Glorious period detail and morally complex characters.

MrBuddyLee posted:

If you have an ounce of patience, this show is delicious, fulfilling and rarely predictable.

Pet Rock Band posted:

No hospital or medical show in TV history has ever looked this good.

25. THE KNICK (CINEMAX)
UP 2
47 points, listed 6 times, #1 spot 2 times

===

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Shows no signs of slowing down.

X-O posted:

It's not so much the sharp writing but the performances and cast chemistry that makes this show exceptional.

Ernie. posted:

Everyone is becoming one big happy family.

IRQ posted:

Everything about this show just shines, pitch perfect casting, writing, characters, jokes, all of it.

Zaggitz posted:

On point comedy, every episode. No more, no less.

24. BROOKLYN NINE-NINE (FOX)
DOWN 20
49 points, listed 10 times, #1 spot 1 time

:toot: BEST ON FOX

===

Tuxedo Jack posted:

There's nothing else like it, nor has there ever been.

Fast Luck posted:

No bigger story and no bigger spectacle on TV.

karrethuun posted:

This is still the ONLY show I actually watch live.

Cart posted:

The closest thing to appointment TV in today's cultural zeitgeist.

Something something bad pussy.

23. GAME OF THRONES (HBO)
DOWN 10
51 points, listed 13 times

===

ShakeZula posted:

A slam dunk.

DarklyDreaming posted:

Managed to stick the landing in just the right way.

hcreight posted:

Ended about as well as I could have expected it to.

Junkenstein posted:

It capped it all off in a completely satisfying manner.

Cart posted:

A real fitting send off to the world and the characters.

22. JUSTIFIED (FX)
UP 18
51 points, listed 8 times

===

Illinois Smith posted:

This was somehow both the darkest and funniest season of TV I've ever seen.

Shageletic posted:

It'll make you laugh your rear end while rueing the existence of a cruel and malevolent god.

HorseRenoir posted:

Now this is the type of never-ending vortex of comedic misery I can get behind.

Pet Rock Band posted:

It was like the change from a kitten batting a toy and a tiger chasing down an antelope.

Cart posted:

Watch it. Five stars.

21. REVIEW (COMEDY CENTRAL)
DOWN 5
51 points, listed 7 times, #1 spot 2 times

===

And that's it for tonight, friends! Join me tomorrow at 4pm GMT when I release the top 20. We've still got a whole lot of heavy hitters still to show. We've still got The Leftovers, we've still got Mr. Robot, we've still got Rick and Morty, we've still got Daredevil, we've still got Fargo, we've still got Better Call Saul and we've still got Hannibal! Which show will be TVIV's #1 show of 2015? You'll find out soon enough but until then what do you think of the list so far? Brooklyn Nine-Nine dropped quite a ways. And what happened to the Flash? And look at the return to form for Justified! What do you reckon TV IV, are we getting it right?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

EL BROMANCE posted:

One question - the 50-150 list has some titles emboldened and I can't work out what that references. I've probably missed a piece of text somewhere.

Just shows that I felt were interesting in their placing, nothing particularly special.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rocksicles posted:

Noticing a lot of self quotes there Rarity, was our material a little thin this year?

No, I just like to stroke my ego :colbert:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
#20-16

Hello again, friends! Welcome back to the final countdown for the Official TV IV Goon Poll of 2015! Today we will go through our top 20 and find out which TV show took home the coveted prize of being your number one! Will it be Parks and Recreation? Will it be Fargo? Will it be Better Call Saul? Well, I can tell you one show it won't be...

MrAristocrates posted:

This show is a loving nightmare and I love every minute of it.

Escobarbarian posted:

Some of the most atmospheric, effective scenes of the decade.

ShakeZula posted:

The show remained as visually stunning as ever.

Jerusalem posted:

A fantastic way to end the season.... and the show.

centaurtainment posted:

The alternatingly frustrating and breathtaking conclusion that this beautifully shot and acted show deserved.

Mukaikubo posted:

You were too good for this world, show.

:siren: Reminder: click on the images. From here on out, I'd recommend it. (Contains spoilers) :siren:

20. HANNIBAL (NBC)
DOWN 19
54 points, listed 9 times, #1 spot 1 time

===

Little Mac posted:

Such a weird and crazy plot with some really dynamic themes interwoven.

Asiina posted:

A show that is about a good person just being joyful in the world.

Spatula City posted:

During a time when I really needed cheering up, she was there for me.

Ernie. posted:

It's the one show that tries to do entertainment through positivity and sunshine and wonder and happiness and it nails it.

Regy Rusty posted:

I think it has potential to become one of my absolute favorite comedies.

DivisionPost posted:

There is no Entourage 2.

19. UNBREAKABLE KIMMY SCHMIDT (NETFLIX)
NEW ENTRY
69 points, listed 16 times

===

Junkenstein posted:

This was a cracking, tightly packaged season.

HorseRenoir posted:

Quietly one of the best shows on TV.

Mukaikubo posted:

It's still one of the few shows I carve out an hour for every week to watch live, no questions asked.

Toxxupation posted:

Knows itself, knows what it wants to be, and is able to execute on its vision effortlessly.

DivisionPost posted:

A novel-esque density that leaves you exhausted at the end of each episode, but is packed with moments that sear themselves onto your memory.

ShakeZula posted:

They even managed to center a storyline on a teenage character and pull it off.

18. THE AMERICANS (FX)
UP 1
70 points, listed 12 times

===

CeeJee posted:

Gut wrenchingly honest and incredibly funny.

smg77 posted:

The best 30 minute show currently on television.

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

If you aren't watching it, you're a goddamn fool.

Zaggitz posted:

It’s a show about awful people who make each other better, but are still pretty awful.

DivisionPost posted:

It forces one to redefine his image of what a beautiful romantic comedy looks like.

Spatula City posted:

People that don't have clinical depression can't imagine how good it feels to see that condition portrayed accurately, in a way that people can understand.

17. YOU'RE THE WORST (FX)
DOWN 6
70 points, listed 10 times, #1 spot 4 times

===

Shneak posted:

One of the best farewell seasons for any show.

Junkenstein posted:

A great send off, nothing more to say.

MrAristocrates posted:

A phenomenal show to the end.

Pan Dulce posted:

They really did close off the perfect show with the perfect ending.

Each of its characters earned their incredibly happy ending.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I cried, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

16. PARKS AND RECREATION (NBC)
UP 1
74 points, listed 13 times, #1 spot 2 times

:toot: BEST ON NBC :toot:
:toot: BEST SHOW ENDING IN 2015

===

And there we have it, Parks and Recreation put in a strong challenge but couldn't quite crack the top 10. Still, it's been a constant presence in our poll and it will be sorely missed this year. But we must go onward, ever onward. Only 15 shows remain, we're getting closer to finding out what you voted your number one show of 2015! Can you feel the tension yet?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
#15-11

And we're back! Can you feel the electricity heating up as we get closer to the top? Everyone is wondering where their favourite show will place. How high can the Leftovers reach? When will we see the first of Marvel's entries in our list? Have Broad City and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend got enough love to crack the top 10? And of course, which show will be our #1? Well, there's only one way to find out. Let's get right back to it!

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

So brutal and endearing that it defies description.

Gandalf21 posted:

This show is so much better than it has any right to be.

Jeremy posted:

It came highly recommended and now I know why.

Joramun posted:

No show offers more honest and accurate insights into the human condition.

Spatula City posted:

No show, or really anything has made a plotline about three children pretending to be one adult in a trenchcoat so compelling and moving.

IRQ posted:

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

15. BOJACK HORSEMAN (NETFLIX)
UP 16
82 points, listed 13 times, #1 spot 1 time

===

smg77 posted:

The only procedural I watch.

Ernie. posted:

I think the potential of this show is ridiculous.

Pan Dulce posted:

You definitely get ups and downs emotionally.

Spatula City posted:

I'm entitled to one show that I just flat out enjoy without needing any philosophizing, that I just go ''yaaaaaaay, this rules" the whole time.

MrAristocrates posted:

How could a show, a procedural no less, with this dumb a premise and an even dumber name, actually manage to become this legitimately compelling?

oh jay posted:

Like some have said, actually the best comic book show on air.

14. IZOMBIE (THE CW)
NEW ENTRY
83 points, listed 16 times, #1 spot 1 time

===

Yer Burnt posted:

One of the best portrayals of a genuine friendship.

Goofballs posted:

I'm guaranteed several huge belly laughs watching any episode.

JUICY HAMBUGAR posted:

The situations they have their characters explore always end up hilarious and oftentimes absurd.

Pet Rock Band posted:

This show made me laugh hard and cheer harder for their deep roster of loveable characters to make it in this crazy world.

Slamhound posted:

It feels as though it's poised to shift from comedy into something more.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yaaaaas queen.

13. BROAD CITY (COMEDY CENTRAL)
UP 27
84 points, listed 16 times

:toot: Best Show To Not Be Placed #1 In A List

===

Senerio posted:

The greatest show that none of you are watching.

Air is lava! posted:

The title is literally the only bad thing about this show.

Sober posted:

It's a terrific and relatable show to just about anyone.

Zaggitz posted:

A compelling story about mental illness, nervous breakdowns and depression.

JUICY HAMBUGAR posted:

Sometimes has people who almost look normal, like you could find them at a supermarket somewhere, though it'd probably be more upscale than a Wal-Mart.

MrBuddyLee posted:

Just loving watch it, people.

12. CRAZY EX-GIRLFRIEND (THE CW)
NEW ENTRY
86 points, listed 12 times, #1 spot 5 times

===

Rocksicles posted:

Brutal season, absolute blood bath.

X-O posted:

This show doesn't bullshit the audience. It never takes the easy way out.

DarklyDreaming posted:

That's just the kind of well-written brutality that makes the show awesome

CeeJee posted:

God drat if they did not turn this show around and into the best and most ruthless thing ever.

sbaldrick posted:

Let's murder a whole people just because.

Pan Dulce posted:

This is NOT a space teen romance.

11. THE 100 (THE CW)
UP 4
87 points, listed 15 times, #1 spot 1 time

:toot: BEST ON THE CW

===

So there we have it. For those of you who've been playing along at home you might be able to guess what's made the top 10 but we'll get to that soon enough. For now let's just appreciate the CW, a network that you guys clearly feel produces reliably quality television. Who woulda ever thunk it?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! It sure is hotting up in here, friends! We're breaking straight through to the top 10 and I've got to say, by my reckoning this is pound for pound the best top 10 we've ever had. Where will your favourite show end up? Can Rick and Morty take comedy to the top spot for the very first time? Can Mr. Robot pull of a shock upset and take number one in its very first appearance? Or how about Fargo or Better Call Saul? And just where are those three Marvel shows? There's only one way to find out folks, let's get this show on the road!

Zythrst posted:

I just have no idea what can happen next.

Andrew_1985 posted:

This show is now on all cylinders and firing away.

Rocksicles posted:

Took a massive leap forward this year in almost every way.

Air is lava! posted:

The episodes kept getting better and the pace kept getting faster.

bou posted:

A great team, high stakes and excellent character interactions

Rarity posted:

A constant roller-coaster of excitement, following a plot that never threatens to stall.

achillesforever6 posted:

I'm the world's biggest mark for this series.

Regy Rusty posted:

It’s now easily grabbed the spot of single most looked forward to show every week.

10. AGENTS OF SHIELD (ABC)
DOWN 1
93 points, listed 14 times, #1 spot 3 times

:toot: BEST ON ABC

Yes, your #10 is Agents of Shield, holding on strong for a second consecutive year in the top 10. You praised it for its tight ensemble cast and stunning pace and such great qualities have been rewarded. But what show will place in #9?

We'll find out...

...soon.

Oh yeah, this is happening.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
That's right, friends, we are going all in on this countdown. Fasten your seatbelts and strap on your safety helmets cause the next couple of hours are going to be one wild ride! We've got one down and nine to go so let's not hang about, we've got to keep this party going!

ShakeZula posted:

Emotionally powerful and very creatively directed.

karrethuun posted:

The best character studies of any shows I watched this year.

Hakkesshu posted:

I couldn't help but be continually uplifted by these characters and their stories.

Zythrst posted:

It's kind of amazing how so massive of a production can also seem so very very intimate.

I have no idea how to describe this show to people who haven't seen it.

Rarity posted:

Television of the highest calibre: stunning, moving and sometimes even haunting.

Snak posted:

It’s a feel good show that celebrates our differences not as obstacles, but as the variety that makes humanity great.

DivisionPost posted:

Here's the thing about swinging for power: when you miss, you look like an idiot. But when you hit, nobody's laughing.

9. SENSE8 (NETFLIX)
NEW ENTRY
95 points, listed 16 times, #1 spot 2 times

Let's hear it for Sense8, making it into the top 10 on its very first appearance! You acknowledged that this Wachowskis project had the potential to turn off viewers but you just couldn't ignore its amazing style or its emotional core. With another season in the works, chances are this isn't the last time we'll see Sense8 in our top 10.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The road continues on, friends. But we cannot grow weary in our travels, there is still so much to see! We must get right to it and find out which TV show you voted in at #8!

Zaggitz posted:

A stellar beginning in 2015.

MrAristocrates posted:

This season was good!

Slamhound posted:

Still one of the most solid shows around.

karrethuun posted:

One of my favorites over the past few years.

Sober posted:

Also has arguably one of the best, if not most creative, episodes in its run to date.

Pan Dulce posted:

TVIV made me watch this show. And I downed it in 2 weeks, that's how good it was.

I am now eagerly awaiting the next (last?) season more than anything else.

Regy Rusty posted:

I’m gonna miss this show.

8. PERSON OF INTEREST (CBS)
DOWN 3
96 points, listed 14 times, #1 spot 2 times

:toot: Best Show On A Mainstream Network :toot:

That's right, Person of Interest might be getting a little long in the tooth but it's still got enough weight to mix it with the young guns, earning itself a top 10 finish for the third year in a row. Sometimes with long running shows they reach a place where they have earned so much love that they will always be a contender, Person of Interest is surely one such show. And with next season looking very likely to be the last, might we see it go out with a bang in next year's poll?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
We just keep on getting closer, with every step the field gets that little bit smaller. Which show will be the next to drop out from the chance of hitting number one? It's time to take a look at your #7!

Joramun posted:

Truly transcendent.

Illinois Smith posted:

An all-around Herculean effort.

Asiina posted:

It really hits that wacky crazy spot for me.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

It's sharp and poignant, and it touches on subjects and nostalgia that appeals directly to my generation.

MrAristocrates posted:

It continues to be one of the most ludicrously inventive shows on television.

xcore posted:

I wish I could get people in real life to be obsessed with this show as I and the rest of the forums are.

Mukaikubo posted:

I'm pretty sure this would have made my top ten even if all I'd watched were two minute clips on Youtube.

centaurtainment posted:

The show that Invader Zim so desperately wanted to be.

7. RICK AND MORTY (ADULTSWIM)
UP 3
104 points, listed 21 times, #1 spot 2 times

:toot: BEST ANIMATION :toot:
:toot: BEST COMEDY

Tons of you voted for Rick and Morty this year and you pushed it to be TV IV's Best Comedy of 2015! Even if there wasn't quite enough support for it to break the top 5 is still dominated in its own genre with a good 20 points more than its nearest competitor, Broad City. With the show continuing to pick up new fans, perhaps 2016 will be the year we finally see a comedy top our list!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ooh boy, we are so close to that top 5 that I can almost taste it. But with six shows left, each one has critical acclaim and devoted fans by the bucket load and one of them is going to have to fall just an inch short. Here's what you all voted in at #6!

Escobarbarian posted:

True masterpiece.

Gandalf21 posted:

Perfection.

karrethuun posted:

Flat out an amazing series.

Junkenstein posted:

I found every single scene utterly compelling.

Every week I thought it couldn't possibly get better, and every week I was wrong.

Fast Luck posted:

One of the most meticulously plotted perfectly accomplished television seasons that's ever been produced.

ShakeZula posted:

Just stellar on every level of performance and production, and packed with nearly-unmatched emotional intensity.

Toxxupation posted:

An unparalleled season when it came to writing, directing, acting, storytelling, pacing, worldbuilding...all the individual "things" that one can total up on a sheet that equals "great television".

joepinetree posted:

Only breaking bad at its peak made me wish for a time machine this much, just so I could see the next episode NOW.

6. THE LEFTOVERS (HBO)
UP 42 (!!)
110 points, listed 13 times, #1 spot 8 times

:toot: BEST ON HBO :toot:
:toot: BEST AVERAGE (not including Rectify which only had 2 votes which doesn't really count)

Well, would you look at that! The Leftovers puts in a stunning performance to get all the way to #6 on the back of a small but absolutely passionate following. It didn't get listed often but from those who did, almost a full 2/3rds of them placed it as their favourite show of the year. And by the sounds of those quotes, the Leftovers is the best thing that none of us are watching.

But we cannot look back forever, we must look forward as well for the top 5 awaits! And I think it's time to stop being cute about this. You all know what shows are left. Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Mr. Robot, Better Call Saul, Fargo, one of these shows is going to be your #1 TV show of 2015. Which do you think it's going to be? And which do you think is coming next?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Yeah, I loved that too :allears:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
You know what? You've heard enough from me. Your #5 pick is here so let's just dive right in!

karrethuun posted:

Fantastic adaptation.

Rarity posted:

There are so many great aspects to this show to talk about.

Ernie. posted:

Everyone needs to see it.

Little Mac posted:

Violent, visceral, and completely thrilling.

MrAristocrates posted:

A fascinating villain

Pan Dulce posted:

I had to binge it just because every episode left me on the edge of my seat.

I couldn't be happier that they got it SO RIGHT.

Hakkesshu posted:

The way it used violence in general had much more impact than any other superhero show or film that I can immediately recall.

White Rabbit posted:

If you have to watch one superhero TV show this is the one.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Going to be considered "the best thing Marvel has made" for a long time.

5. DAREDEVIL (NETFLIX)
NEW ENTRY
135 points, listed 22 times, #1 spot 1 time

It's a surprise that the internet didn't break when Netflix released Daredevil back in April. Has there ever been a TV show more hotly anticipated before its debut? If there has been, I'd like to see it. Perhaps the bigger surprise was that Daredevil lived up to the hype, producing a season strong enough to rank #5 on your list. Praised by you for its brutal action scenes and deep look into its villain's psyche, Daredevil quickly became the best Marvel production on any visual media. Oh, for about six months or so... But let's not rush ahead, instead let's remember a show who's own merit is very much deserved.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Friends, I don't believe I have ever felt so tense! There are just four shows left in our countdown and each one is brilliant in its own right. Chances are any of these contenders would have topped last year's list but alas, this is the era of peak TV and so we are left with this bloodbath, this gladitorial combat of television. Better Call Saul, Mr. Robot, Fargo, Jessica Jones. How can you separate four shows of such excellence? How can you judge any one better than another? But that was your task and so it had to be and so it is that one of these shows is your number one. Oh, how I wish I could tell you right now! But it cannot be, the journey cannot end before it is completed. So settle down and join me as we take a look at what came in at #4.

xcore posted:

A hell of a ride.

Rocksicles posted:

Some truly head loving moments.

HorseRenoir posted:

The execution is completely immaculate.

This is a show that's about the journey, not the destination, and I'm glad to be along for the ride.

Rarity posted:

One of the smartest, most well crafted pieces of television I've seen in a long time.

Zythrst posted:

This show just oozes atmosphere from every pore.

ShakeZula posted:

The aesthetic it created was unlike anything else on TV.

White Rabbit posted:

This is the kind of creation that conjures an evolution for the TV show medium as a whole.

DivisionPost posted:

It's brilliantly conceived and executed on paper, creatively photographed, and most of all, impeccably acted.

Not only wouldn't be as good with another actor, I don't think the show would even work.

Toxxupation posted:

A story about stories in a way that feels earned and natural over pretentious as gently caress.

Spatula City posted:

You come to expect the reveal, and the moment of triumph, but the magician has made you look in the wrong places.

4. MR. ROBOT (USA)
NEW ENTRY
139 points, listed 20 times, #1 spot 5 times

By far the biggest shock of 2015 was USA putting out a prestige drama and it turning out to not just be good but incredible. And now we find Mr. Robot riding high on our chart with a #4 placing, just barely beating out Daredevil in one of the closest races in this year's poll. There was heaps of praise for Rami Malek's performance, equal amounts for Sam Esmail's writing and just as much for the directing. Will Mr. Robot be able to match its performance next year without a big twist? By the sound of it, you guys think it will.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
So here we are. The final three. For the first time in history a 70s crime family will go up against a barely qualified lawyer and a superpowered P.I. as the battle for the top spot gets even hotter. So what's going to be next to drop out of the race? Oh, why am I wasting your time, let's just find out!

smg77 posted:

I fully expected this to be horrible.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Doesn't disappoint at all

Escobarbarian posted:

A lot more downbeat and thoughtful than I was expecting.

Yer Burnt posted:

So good. I don't need to say more.

achillesforever6 posted:

One of the best TV shows I have ever watched.

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Relentlessly worthy of its DNA.

xcore posted:

How did this actually work? I don't know, but I love it.

Jerusalem posted:

Genuinely funny when it tries, poignant when it wants to be.

Toxxupation posted:

The tension is subtler, the conflict mostly consisting of verbal confrontations over physical ones.

Shageletic posted:

Regularly putting me through a roller caster of laughter, horror, and dread every, I don't know, 15 minutes?

Junkenstein posted:

It’s definitely its own thing but has that mix of crime, drama and comedy combined with the same great aesthetic.

Regy Rusty posted:

Ugh this should probably be higher on my list.

3. BETTER CALL SAUL (AMC)
NEW ENTRY
209 points, listed 31 times, #1 spot 4 times

How could we ever doubt Vince Gilligan? Once again the man produces one of the highlights of the year with a dark and introspective comedy-drama prequel that ticked all the right boxes. Many of you stacked it up favourably to its predecessor and with Breaking Bad topping our list in multiple past years, this show certainly has the pedigree to reach those heights in the future. Oh, and for those of you who would have liked to see this show place even higher, it missed out on coming in second by just one point...

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This year's list was designed purely to troll Toxx and bown :allears:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
And so, friends, we come to the end of the road. Fargo. Jessica Jones. There can be only one. The time for words is done, what did you vote your number two show of 2015?

Asiina posted:

The characters feel like real people reacting to a horrific situation.

hcreight posted:

The most inspired casting choice of the year.

Ernie. posted:

It's a wonderful, intelligent show, that knows how to underplay every hand, thought and scene until it all erupts to the top in both the audience and the acting simultaneously.

achillesforever6 posted:

The evillest character I have seen on TV.

Sober posted:

Executed thoroughly without ever trying to shy away from sensitive topics.

Senerio posted:

I thoroughly enjoyed being uncomfortable.

Spatula City posted:

Dared to be truly upsetting and at times confrontational.

Hakkesshu posted:

Boy does this show throw dark, and it loving earns it too.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

It's a really good show, if you can stomach the themes.

Jerusalem posted:

The series doesn't offer any easy answers, it doesn't "fix" anything by the end.

Zaggitz posted:

A great exploration of multiple forms of abuse.

Slamhound posted:

A good meditation on abuse and power.

Little Mac posted:

A masterclass in every type of abuse you can imagine.

xeria posted:

Real good exploration of abuse and PTSD.

Shageletic posted:

A sheen of noir barely obscure a tidal wave's worth of criticisms and musings on the machinations of abuse.

DivisionPost posted:

Pummeling you with all the self-hatred, powerlessness, and fear that comes with victimhood and PTSD.

The most emotionally draining show I've watched since Breaking Bad.

bou posted:

I never experienced the strong urges of "i need a break from this" and "i need to watch more NOW" so simultaneously.

Rarity posted:

Took me to an emotional place that no other TV show has ever reached.

BSam posted:

I watched it all and now I need a hug.

MrAristocrates posted:

I can't defend this decision on any level, yet I know it's right. This was my favorite show this year. It's flawed. Amazingly so. And I love that about it.

2. JESSICA JONES (NETFLIX)
NEW ENTRY
210 points, listed 34 times, #1 spot 3 times

:toot: BEST ON NETFLIX :toot:
:toot: BEST NEW SHOW

Which means we know what your number one is! But time enough for that. First, let's just take a moment to look at Jessica Jones, the TV show of 2015 that the most people put in their top 10. In fact, it was listed by a full 50% of those who submitted valid lists! Is Jessica Jones a flawed show? Absolutely. It just goes to prove, you don't need to be perfect to be loved.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ok, I got to take off my presenter hat for a second and just say I am so, so happy with this result. Jessica Jones gets tons of negatives thrown its way (about half of those are deserved) and I figured that meant it would never get so high in the final list. In fact, for the first 1/3rd of the voting it was actually in the lead and while it fell off the pace towards the end it still held out strong and that's awesome.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This is it, friends. Time to crown the TV IV #1 Show of 2015! But before we do that, there's just a couple of orders of business we need to take care of. First, let's take a look at the Top 10 Networks of 2015!

10. ABC (118 points)
9. NBC (136 points)
8. USA (148 points)
7. CBS (180 points)
6. Comedy Central (197 points)
5. AMC (261 points)
4. The CW (317 points)
3. HBO (335 points)
2. FX (392 points)
1. Netflix (682 points)

In a stunning reversal of fortunes Netflix has turned around the slump of the last couple of years to absolutely dominate this year's Network Chart. Marvel's double punch and Sense8 were the big point earners but their constant stream of original content meant that Netflix featured throughout our chart from top to bottom. Meanwhile, HBO and FX continue to be strong contenders while AMC showed it relies far too much on Vince Gilligan by returning to form with Better Call Saul. And let's hear some love to Comedy Central, putting in a strong showing thanks to a collection of niche comedies with cult followings. However, the other major story here is the death of the Big 4 networks. Outclassed by the CW and each relying on one or two main players to score their points, it seems like they're behind the times and behind in favour. Fox didn't even make the top 10!

And now for two of our most loved awards. The first trophy going out is the Hippest Goon on All The Web Award.rewarded to the goon with their finger most on the TV IV pulse as shown by including more Top 10 shows in their list than any other. And the award goes to... Zythrst!

But for every winner there must be a loser and so we present the Old Fogey Wooden Spoon to the goon most out of touch with the modern voter. Would you believe this goon didn't even list one single show from the Top 12? And that unfortunate soul is... Shneak!

But enough preamble. I know why you're really here. This is the moment you've been waiting for. This is your Number One Show of 2015!

Zythrst posted:

Just an impeccably crafted show.

centaurtainment posted:

Boatloads of style.

Yer Burnt posted:

So crazy good.

Jerusalem posted:

It's absolutely, unbelievably amazing.

Escobarbarian posted:

So perfect as to be almost clinical.

MrBuddyLee posted:

If a friend asked me for one don't miss show this season, this'd have to be it.

hcreight posted:

Still the best show on TV.

Spatula City posted:

It gives us what we need rather than what we want.

Junkenstein posted:

The most cinematic experience to appear on TV.

White Rabbit posted:

This really blurs the distinction between TV shows and movies, confirming the former into the singular art form it has become.

buddhanc posted:

Just about perfect in every way.

Regy Rusty posted:

There’s nothing begrudging about its inclusion this year.

HorseRenoir posted:

Some of the boldest television I've ever seen.

Cart posted:

Flawless.

DivisionPost posted:

It all fits together as pieces of a whole instead of a mishmash of tones and ideas.

MrAristocrates posted:

Effortlessly pulls off poo poo I would never accept in any other show.

It's as funny as the comedies on my list, as exciting and moving as the dramas.

Zaggitz posted:

Perfect.

Shageletic posted:

Better cinematography and directing than you would see in most movies today with characters that leap out of the page and heroes wrangling with the worst of people.

xcore posted:

Every minute of these show is amazing and I never want the episodes to end.

Illinois Smith posted:

HOOOOOLY gently caress.

...Juuuuust kidding. It is, of course...

1. FARGO (FX)
251 points, listed 30 times, #1 spot 11 times

:toot: BEST ON FX :toot:
:toot: MOST #1 PICKS :toot:
:pcgaming: BEST SHOW
:pcgaming:

So there we have it, Fargo is #1. Could it ever be any other way? And with that, our journey has come to a close. Let the arguments and gloating about positions begin. And someone fetch me a stiff drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
OH MY GOD I CAN STOP LOOKING AT SPREADSHEETS

• Locked thread