Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
leftovers for 1 leftovers for 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's weird how both the "yeah I'm the cartoon guy lol!" posts have had Star Wars Rebels rather than actual good cartoons

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man, there were too many great shows this year. Review s2 was loving awesome in every way but it wouldn't even make my top 20.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
drat since the You're the Worst finale aired two people have posted lists with it at 1

Can't wait to see that poo poo

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
e: hm maybe not

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why make a list you know won't be accepted

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Here's 11-20 before I get into this properly:

20. Show Me a Hero
19. The Returned
18. Justified
17. BoJack Horseman
16. Parks and Recreation
15. Steven Universe
14. Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp
13. Rectify
12. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
11. Mr. Robot

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
10. You’re the Worst
Didn’t quite live up to an impeccable first season for me humour-wise, with its sharp edges mildly dulled, but made up for it with an excellent examination of depression.

09. Rick and Morty
Spent a lot of time getting into its lead characters head while also doubling down on the conceptual episodes and fleshing out the side characters and i’m not really in a writing stuff headspace but it was funny and good

08. Transparent
The Pfeffermans are still the best dysfunctional family on TV. More of a rounded ensemble comedy this year but every cast member got some excellent moments.

07. Better Call Saul
A lot more downbeat and thoughtful than I was expecting but still gorgeous and fun and very confident storytelling. Can’t wait to see where they take this one next year.

06. Master of None
It’s easy to forgive some of the more lo-fi elements and somewhat preachy dialogue when a show feels so on your wavelength. The best version of Ansari’s modern romance shtick.

05. Adventure Time
The final half of the show’s sixth season went from strength to strength, delving further into philosophical, experimental, fluid, aesthetically stunning shorts. Later episodes are a little weaker but still drat funny.

04. Hannibal
The most visually gorgeous show on TV for the third and unfortunately final year in a row, with some of the most atmospheric, effective scenes of the decade. I’ll miss it stupidly badly.

03. Mad Men
One of the greatest shows of all time closes out with a run much like every other - somewhat frustrating and opaque to begin with before opening up to reveal the true hurt at its center. ‘Lost Horizon’ is probably my favourite TV episode of the year.

02. Fargo
So perfect as to be almost clinical, and (mostly) keeping a tight lid on an impressively sprawling story, while also being a tour de force in acting and cinematography. Only some minor plotholes and a bizarre, uneven finale stop it from being one of the all-time great seasons of television.

01. The Leftovers
One of the all-time great seasons of television, and also one of the messiest, sprawling out in every which direction to examine a bunch of ideas and concepts and nailing them all. Lindelof shook off all his classic mistakes and made his true masterpiece. Sits comfortably alongside the HBO pantheon and deserves to go down in history with the best of them.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Which way is thinking Archer could possibly deserve a place in the list this year

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I know this goes against the rules of the thread but can someone who spent years freaking out about goddamn Orphan Black and still puts AoS in their top 5 really do the whole "you should all be ashamed of yourself for not watching this blah blah" thing? Can they really be allowed?

(to be more serious I quite like the list, it's nice to see detailed reasons as to why JJ can be truly meaningful to someone even though I personally can't get over the [many] flaws)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Almost everyone who has seen The Leftovers s2 loves it but a lot of people struggled heavily with s1 (including myself) so it doesn't surprise me that a lot of people have missed it. It's a shame though cause it's one of the biggest improvements in TV history

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Steven Universe is brilliant, fwiw

(drat, that was a read. I had no idea you loved Rick and Morty so much. I still disagree with you that the plotholes in Fargo kill it or that Mad Men suddenly improved massively in the final half-season but I can't fault the way you present your arguments)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's a hell of a list, although I have to admit the logic behind DW's placement - "only one episode is really actually especially good but the running thread throughout the season that may or may not have been intentional might make them better in retrospect, maybe" - made me laugh out loud a bunch.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sense8 is pretty drat cool and I can absolutely see it being your sort of show, Jerusalem. To be honest I'm actually surprised it isn't massively popular. If it had aired on a network it would have been one of the biggest TV events of the year and been way more up to the task than Wayward Pines. As it is it's just "another original Netflix show".

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What's your logic behind that? It's an idea that lends itself well to populist trappings and comes from two well-known creators. It definitely wouldn't have been as good or as hella gay on a network but I absolutely think it would have been popular.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I agree that Rarity is killin it. How the gently caress is Transparent so far down though. I don't really foresee myself having strong opinions on the results but that poo poo is egregious

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man I didn't expect Leftovers to make the top 10. This is mad exciting! I thought I was going to go insane once it switched to 5 shows a post but the 'tension' is actually effective

Plz finish in the next couple hours though cause I have to go to sleep really early :(

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So loving glad SHIELD is below Leftovers. And drat what a showing for Sense8! I like it a lot even though it wouldn't even make my top 30 and it's nice to see its well-liked in at least one place.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My #7 was #7. Validation!

omg if Leftovers makes the top 5

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Still so stoked to see this show so high. It truly deserves it. Not a bad show in the top 5, either.

edit yeah Fargo definitely for 1

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Y'all are some sick fucks.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Dat hallway fight doe

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

but dat hallway fight doe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A predominantly male message board still picked Jessica Jones as their second favourite show of the year. Does that make us dirty SJWs?

• Locked thread