Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
White Rabbit
Sep 8, 2004

We Do Not Sow.
1. Mr. Robot
From the start you know this is something special. Originally planned as a movie, this is the kind of creation that conjures an evolution for the TV show medium as a whole. Bold in it's depiction of realistic hacking, it's especially fascinating because of the strategic pacing throughout the season. I usually think voice-overs are lazy screenwriting but here even if it will sometimes explain what is going on it is mostly used brillantly to give depth to its protagonist. The photography, lightning, scenery and the performances... everything you see is heavily inspired by Stanley Kubrick and all of it works perfectly to draw you into this parallel but oh-so-close universe, just around the corner of Orwellian dystopia and what could be our own future in a few years time.

2. Fargo
Another one with movie-quality lighting/photography and very strategic pacing, Fargo continues following in the path of the original Coen movie, actually improving on it. Dark humor, unique characters, one of a kind setting - like Mr Robot this really blurs the distinction between TV shows and movies, confirming the former into the singular art form it has become. Must watch.

3. Rick and Morty
Hard to beat season one of the best cartoon + scifi show of last year, season two is a bit uneven but still introduces the best episodes of the series so far. Completely deserves it cult status. Thousand years, rickandmorty.com forever and ever.

4. Broad City
Best live comedy show around this year, the writing and the performances are incredible, it'll consistantly make me laugh out loud.

5. Daredevil
If you have to watch one superhero TV show this is the one. Dark and gritty, violent, inspired by comics as much as movies - terrific blend of influences and incredible cinematography / photography / fight choreography. Each episode moves the story forward so much! Character development as well as storytelling momentum is relentless (unlike Jessica Jones which I havent finished yet but seems a little slow compared to DD), after a few episodes you won't think of watching anything else.

6. Nathan for You
Nathan already has really good grades from a Canadian business school but he deserves a spot here for the Man-zone & Hotel gangbang segments alone. Holy poo poo.

7. Last Week Tonight
Thought provoking, eye opening segments on (mostly American) society. Can be very funny, albeit already formulaic after a couple dozen episodes.

8. Wet Hot American Summer
Never saw the movie this was inspired by so it took me a couple episodes to get into it but this is relentlessly funny and smart, it gets crazier than one could imagine. Brilliant cast.

9. American Crime
Probably the best surprise this year, came out of nowhere and definitely left a mark. Insightful storytelling, reminiscent of The Wire.

10. Louie
Short season but quite decent return to form after a lame season 4.

White Rabbit fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Rabbit
Sep 8, 2004

We Do Not Sow.
By the way I'm still not sure if giving 10 -> 1 points for entries 1 to 10 is quite fair. I'm sure this has been discussed to death but if a show makes it on the 10th spot on ten different lists surely that makes it better than an oddball show with a single n°1 entry, no?

Here's a suggestion on how to score lists to give a bit more weight to the last spots. Just a thought.

1. 5 pts
2. 4.5 pts
3. 4 pts
4. 3.5 pts
5. 3 pts
6. 2.7 pts
7. 2.5 pts
8. 2.3 pts
9. 2 pts
10. 1.5 pts

White Rabbit
Sep 8, 2004

We Do Not Sow.

Rarity posted:

Yeah that's overly complicated and dumb and arbitrarily deciding that one person loving a really niche show makes their opinion less valid so I'm not doing that.

overly complicated because of decimals? I mean this looks like a ton of effort already, I didnt expect my suggestion to pass as both dumb and overly complicated just for changing simple values.

The point of rounding up the edges in everyone's lists is to better credit all of their choices and not just the top few - basically acknowledging that TVIV watches a lot of different shows and not just Parks & Rec and Game of Thrones. Everyone being given just 10 choices in such a brillant year for TV shows will make people think hard even on the last few spots. I personally dont think my 10th spot is worth 10 times less than my first, but that's how the current systam works. You do see that right?

Still the effort is appreciated and as Toxxupation said I'm one of those who will actually use this for recommendations and discovering new stuff to watch. So yay, and thanks for the efforts.

• Locked thread