Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

Hybrid defenses are pretty hard to work with since you can't leech life and ES at the same time. In softcore I usually shoot for at least 4k life or 7k ES when I start maps, and 6k+ life or 10k+ es before red maps.

That seems pretty excessive for softcore. I usually do fine with 3k life in white maps and I'm farming shaped strands and shores fine with 5k atm (granted I'm a Ranger so Life is at a premium). Similarly in softcore I'd put those ES numbers closer to 4.5k and 7k respectively myself. You'll probably be higher for red maps if you're running CI with a shield rather than LL without one, but you can still survive fine and it's only softcore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Insurrectionist posted:

That seems pretty excessive for softcore. I usually do fine with 3k life in white maps and I'm farming shaped strands and shores fine with 5k atm (granted I'm a Ranger so Life is at a premium). Similarly in softcore I'd put those ES numbers closer to 4.5k and 7k respectively myself. You'll probably be higher for red maps if you're running CI with a shield rather than LL without one, but you can still survive fine and it's only softcore.

I run a lot of melee and pbaoes, 4.5k life is a good way to lose lots of xp in red maps.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I'm getting an APRG craving and considering getting back into PoE. I played it in the beta/early launch and was p fun but I got tired of the poor netcode, and one of the things that really sucked was early-game was pretty limited using like 1-2 abils until it really opens up later. Has PoE combat "feels" and netcode been drastically improved and is the early-mid game been changed to be a lot more exciting?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Xaris posted:

I'm getting an APRG craving and considering getting back into PoE. I played it in the beta/early launch and was p fun but I got tired of the poor netcode, and one of the things that really sucked was early-game was pretty limited using like 1-2 abils until it really opens up later. Has PoE combat "feels" and netcode been drastically improved and is the early-mid game been changed to be a lot more exciting?

The netcode is worlds better and even has a proper lockstep mode. Desyncs have been a thing of the past for over a year. It's still a 1 or 2 button game most of the time, though. You can now get all gems from vendors on all characters so at least you can choose what that button is easily.

There's a huge expansion coming the weekend after next so you might want to hold off til then. We're getting acts 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10. No more repeating the game 3 times before you can map.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Thanks for the heads up. I think we'll wait then. We're going to hit up D3 with the new Necro and try it out first, probably will be ready to tackle PoE after that.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Challenge Rifts are fun as hell and I wholly recommend playing it with a friend if you enjoy a good old time attack.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

When I saw the leather belt at the end i was praying

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Kild posted:

christ thats a DnC build if I've ever seen one

It was a sight to behold in game. You keep doing you dnc.

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014
Seems like he got further with less hp than his fb totems? impressive

Rodent, would you be willing to post up your filter creation rundown here (including what you use to do it?) I've missed a generation or two of using new PoE tools so I'm slightly curious about what you did, also, I imagine it might be a good thing to reference when newer players in 3.0 start asking about it.

MannersPlease fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 23, 2017

Murder Noveau
Jul 25, 2007
Maybe death is a gift.

J posted:

August 4th is sooner than I was expecting. I've got a new OP I've been working on off and on over the past few weeks, I'll see if I can start putting the finishing touches on it so I can get it posted before the expansion launches. One thing I'd like input on is how we can provide more useful information to new players about what class/build they should play. All throughout this thread new folks would come in and understandably be overwhelmed with the game and I'd like to be able to address as many of those types of questions in the OP as I can. But staying on top of beginner friendly build recommendations is a huge pain. Ideally I'd like to have one general "go-to" build guide for basic archetypes (melee, ranged, caster, summoner, etc), but drat there are so many builds. Not really sure what to include.

Haven't played in months and this would be a godsend to have a better idea of what isn't going to be a waste of my time/dead end build. I'd be happy with a quick "Things to avoid in 3.0" list since the changes to double-dipping and probably other things I've missed are being implemented.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009
Beta trip report: The minions that summon srs are a bit lackluster as spectres since you can't scale the srs they summon with gem links or minion damage%. You can only link them with extra minion life and stuff.

Maybe if you could find them in a high level map, the srs would be higher level and then you could use them. Otherwise there's not much to them other than having 100 skull dudes on the screen at once

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

At a certain point there's very little difference between 4.5kish hp and 2.5k. Well maybe 3.6 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkwJu_4R3ss. I'm not convinced the concept doesn't work though, so many totems all with leech and 20% taunt is really good.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I'm going to play one handed earthquake, and it will be good

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i cant decide bewtween a gladiator sunder or baron srs

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Jinnigan posted:

Updated to the new version of PoETradeMacro, and I'm pretty confused on how to create a custom macro now. Can anyone walk me through the process? In the old version I would've simply added this line to additionalmacros: "^Space::SendInput {Enter}/oos{Enter}" but I'm not sure what to do in this new version.

You could just make that a standalone AHK script and run it on its own.

Just wrap it in an IfWinActive call:

code:
IfWinActive, Path of Exile ahk_class POEWindowClass
{
    ^Space::SendInput {Enter}/oos{Enter}
}

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

MannersPlease posted:

Seems like he got further with less hp than his fb totems? impressive

Rodent, would you be willing to post up your filter creation rundown here (including what you use to do it?) I've missed a generation or two of using new PoE tools so I'm slightly curious about what you did, also, I imagine it might be a good thing to reference when newer players in 3.0 start asking about it.

http://www.filterblade.xyz/

1) Pick a base strictness
2) Select slick theme to avoid the eye-cancer that is the normal colours

3) Select the 'Customize' Tab
4) Decative most of the vendor recipes, keep the ones you want
5) Set up the chancing bases you want

6) Move Apprentice sextants up one tier.
7) Change sound on tier 1.5 + tier 2 currency to sound number 1
8) Adjust fontsize of all currency to max
9) Disable whatever currency you dont want to see

10) Change tier 2 unique sound to sound nr 3 (I dont want to hear the 'oh god I'm rich' sound for that crap)
11) Hide Tier 5 divination cards
12) Move Portal/Vaal haste/vaal disc to tier 2 special gems
13) Change Tier 1 special gems sound to sound number 6

14) Disable Special Bases and Rules -> SRS Crude bow

15) (This is the main body of work) Endgame Rare Items: Configure everything about rare drops

16) Map Item Rules->Edit appearance: Change T15 and T11-14 drop sound to sound number 8

17) Misc. Rules and League items: Show/Disable Endgame Utility Flasks

18) Select the 'Loot Simulator' tab
19) gently caress around with the loot simulator to see if you're happy with your filter.

20) Select the 'Style Editor' tab
21) gently caress around with borders/backgrounds/text colours if you want

22) Select the 'Download' tab
23) Name and save your filter so you can load it up in the future, then download it.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Queen of the forest righteous fire or
Queen of forest rf/lightning warp or
Queen of the forest decay shield charge or
Queen of the forest incinerate.

Possible will not work idea, low life champ for the 200% evasion.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Magus42 posted:

You could just make that a standalone AHK script and run it on its own.

Just wrap it in an IfWinActive call:

code:
IfWinActive, Path of Exile ahk_class POEWindowClass
{
    ^Space::SendInput {Enter}/oos{Enter}
}

I took a look at the additional macros file and it sounds like you can drop this file in a folder and the macro will auto-include it when it runs? Saves you a click.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

Duck and Cover posted:

Queen of the forest righteous fire or
Queen of forest rf/lightning warp or
Queen of the forest decay shield charge or
Queen of the forest incinerate.

Possible will not work idea, low life champ for the 200% evasion.

QoTF + Dreamfeathers, elemental Charged Dash (probably added damage based, or possibly ele conversion)

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Ornedan posted:

QoTF + Dreamfeathers, elemental Charged Dash (probably added damage based, or possibly ele conversion)

Oh yeah dreamfeathers. I want to see charged dash some more before I decide to build for it. I was thinking cast on channel 100% converted ethereal knives using charged dash.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Make skeletons great again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV34pioR3UE&t=7s

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

The March Hare posted:

Where do you live? It's possible they've added servers closer to you that will help your ping. The enhancements to graphics stuff will not impact your ping.

Nah I'm in hawaii.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
thank mr skeltal

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx

Katasi fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jul 24, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

I'm a fan of them making builds that use more then 1 killing button, 1 debuff/buff button, 1 movement button, skills that work off eachother is nice.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Wither-CWC-Summonskels-DarkPact?

No, I suppose it would work better to have your skeletons on a separate link.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Or maybe kitava's thirst

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I might do an ED/Contagion character for league starter since ED is kinda buffed and Contagion has that radius increase on gem level now so it wont be as painful. is CI/occultist with wicked ward still the best for that with 3.0?

Edit: and CI is still fine on a non leeching character right?

queeb fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 24, 2017

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I haven't played in a year or so but I'm gonna come back for the expansion, I think. Can you still do nothing but spin around like some kind of giant murdertornado?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

docbeard posted:

I haven't played in a year or so but I'm gonna come back for the expansion, I think. Can you still do nothing but spin around like some kind of giant murdertornado?

They buffed this

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

docbeard posted:

Do you want to be a giant fire murdertornado?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3wWez3zBOw

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
The question then becomes "how accessible are Breach uniques going to be in 3.0"?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

theshim posted:

The question then becomes "how accessible are Breach uniques going to be in 3.0"?

I hope accessible enough because I have a strong fixation on both Choir and Pandemonius for my characters.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

queeb posted:

Edit: and CI is still fine on a non leeching character right?

Yea. People have killed shaper as ED CI on beta.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

theshim posted:

Are you speaking in general? Because that's not a Breach unique.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Yeah I get confused with Ngamahu's too since it was released for breach league and seems kinda Xophish

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

whypick1 posted:

Are you speaking in general? Because that's not a Breach unique.

The amulet is, I think thats what Mr Shim meant.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

TheRat posted:

Yea. People have killed shaper as ED CI on beta.

Have you messed with it at all? Wondering how big the contagion AOE gets with the changed to the skillgem.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

queeb posted:

Have you messed with it at all? Wondering how big the contagion AOE gets with the changed to the skillgem.

I got to level 65 or so on beta with ED/Contagion - it definitely feels a lot bigger. I only got to like skill gem level 15 though, its probably fine from 15-20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

theshim posted:

someone said 1 in 10 maps.

• Locked thread