Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Toxxupation posted:

I dunno if I can listen to this season, being former army

if you've been deployed you are intimately aware how stunningly, AMAZINGLY retarded on every conceivable level Bergdahl's plan is and how none of it makes any real sense. it sucks too because his stated reason is totally loving justified - leadership in combat zones can be and often is lethally poor, and there's very little recourse for actual grunts to point this out or whistleblow. its just he chose the single worst possible way to do it

also the IED "gift" thing might be the single dumbest loving thing i've ever heard. oh, you ghosted out and had us scramble at least four separate militaries and two separate governmental organizations, with enough O-grades to court martial you ten times over, to look for you, wasting hundreds (possibly thousands) of man-hours and millions of dollars. But you found an IED, things that are loving EVERYWHERE in a combat deployment, so you know. All good

To his credit, it seemed to me like Bowe was totally up front about this. Like he straight up said "I was a dumb kid who thought he was awesome and didn't know what the gently caress I was doing."

OldTennisCourt posted:

I actually saw a few people honestly complain that there wasn't 'a concrete ending'. It's really weird seeing people treat a real life murder like it's a case on CSI and then complain when real life isn't as cut and dry as TV.

What cracks me up is the amateur sleuths being all let down. Oh no you can't pull out your super secret fan maps and theories!

I do suspect Koenig thought she'd have a concrete ending when she started. At one point she says "once I found Asia McLane, it seemed like just a little more investigation would exonerate Adnan for good." When they first pitched Season One, I wonder if it would have been produced if they'd known there'd be no clear ending.

It is interesting to me just how different the topic is from last time. Season One was focused on a story most people would never have heard of, while the Bowe Bergdahl story was huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

I still have reasonable doubts based on the evidence presented.

I agree. There was pretty much no evidence presented at trial. The entire thing hinged on "this drug-dealer he knows says he did it." There were a lot of coincidences pointing his way, but nothing really overwhelming that would get me to vote for a conviction. Maybe in a civil case, where the standard is "preponderance of the evidence," but I don't see "beyond a reasonable doubt." Also, maybe I'm naive, but I find it hard to believe someone sticks to his story that flawlessly for over a decade and never slips up once.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

African AIDS cum posted:

You are really misinformed here. There was plenty of very strong evidence at the trial.

Possibly. I'm not one of the internet detectives- I listened to the whole thing after it was already over, and it's entirely possible I missed something. But it sure sounded like the entire thing hinged on Jay's testimony.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Dear Sergio posted:

Yeah the something you missed is the part where he killed the girl.

Wow, you're an rear end.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

go poo poo up the season 1 thread with your adnan :jerkbag: theories seriously we have a new goofball to sperg about

Fair enough. Someone asked a question, and I answered. Now let's move on.

Episode 2 really brought out why people were so hard on him. When I first heard about Bowe, I thought "desertion? Is that really such a big deal?" Knowing how much poo poo people went through trying to save him, it's understandable why they take it seriously. Episode 3 didn't add much, though. I guess it showed how painful his imprisonment was, and I liked the bits about him putting obvious lies into his propaganda videos to clue in his side that the videos were false. But a lot of it was just a detailed blow-by-blow of how he escaped, and I didn't care as much.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Scudworth posted:

You just described the entire military campaign he removed himself from.

Except that "millions" would be drastically understating it.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

This last episode branched out a bit, explaining the clusterfuck of politics and alliances in Pakistan and Afghanistan. I enjoyed that a lot, perhaps more than the main story. Though this episode did get vivid with the torture descriptions, making me appreciate just what Bowe went through.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

outlier posted:

I'm glad they didn't revisit the true crime genre of S1. While it was fascinating, there's no need to try make lightning strike twice. And S1 was strange in that while it had the shape and form of crime-solving, it really wasn't. (I wonder if the producers were hoping that "Thin Blue Line"-style, some startling piece of evidence would just fall from the heavens.)

During the inter-season gap, Ira Glass was saying they were going to a story on a haunted house. I wonder where that went. There was also talk that they were making two seasons at once.

The Asia McLane alibi was in episode one, so I imagine they had that before production even started. Koenig outright said once that she thought that would be the key to exonerating Adnan, and it was only after the show was already in production that she realized it wasn't that simple.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Paul Zuvella posted:

He's not wrong.

Maybe not, but he is boring. Every discussion of season one is circular and repetitive at this point, and smug dismissals are even more boring.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Joe Gillian posted:

He's not exactly right either. With all the facts out there, medium notwithstanding, he must know something we don't to be so certain.

He knows that he's smarter than you, and you're a fool to think otherwise. Seriously, you're wasting your time arguing with this guy.

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Feb 1, 2016

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Adnan did it.

Nobody cares.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

The fact that there's a Season 2 of Serial suggests otherwise.

To clarify: whenever the issue of Adnan's guilt comes up on this thread, it turns into a pointless broken record of people repeating the talking points they've memorized. No one here cares to hear your thoughts on the case, because everyone's mind is made up at this point. Move on.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

I really liked this episode. For the first time, I heard some legitimate complaints about the way the Obama administration handled the situation. Saying Bowe served with "honor and distinction" is pretty tone-deaf, and misleading Congress is not a good thing. Granted, I don't trust this Congress not to gently caress it up, so maybe it was the right thing to do, but I objected when Bush lied to Congress. Bush lied to start a war, while Obama lied/deceived to get a POW back, but it's still ethically tricky at best.

Question for those who are paying attention closer than I: Several times, there was reference to a "rescue mission" to free Bowe, but I thought it was a mutual trade? Were they referring to a back-up plan, like they had a helicopter on stand-by in case the deal fell through?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

I'm just trying to figure out why they referred to Bowe's "rescue." If I remember correctly, they used that word several times in the last episode, and it seems misleading.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Paul Zuvella posted:

What the hell do you think rescue means

A military operation, usually one involving active combat? It doesn't make me think of something as dry as a diplomatic exchange.

Anyway, I would say this season started out weak but improved over time. The episodes that detailed minute by minute what Bowe did were dull, to me, but when it started looking at the wider picture I enjoyed it more. Up until now, I just figured the whole controversy was yet another case of Republicans knee-jerk opposing everything Obama does. While I still don't have any respect for guys like Mitch McConnell, I understand better why some soldiers were genuinely angry at Bowe. The picture is more complicated than I'd originally thought, and that's exactly what long-form storytelling is good at showing.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

webmeister posted:

Have you actually watched the release video? Because two Blackhawks loaded with special forces troops and a pair of Hercules (I think?) orbiting overhead sure as poo poo looks like a military operation to me - particularly when one of the helicopters lands in front of 20+ Taliban guys armed with AKs and RPGs.

Sure it's not much like Counter-Strike or whatever, but it would've been tense as gently caress for everyone involved.

Thank you! No, I didn't know that, which is why I asked the question in the first place. But apparently no one else could give a direct answer, instead saying variations of "because you're a stupid loving goon who smells bad." Which may be true, but not relevant.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think you can make a case he never should have been allowed to enlist with his medical issues.

Also he read Ayn Rand, which should qualify as a disability in and of itself.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the problem was that your question was moronic on a level where i couldn't tell if you were really that stupid or if you had decided to start trolling the thread. i didn't understand how someone could think about the idea of recovering a hostage from the taliban for more than two seconds and realize it might involve going out into bumfuck nowhere, afghanistan. and when you get out to the nowhere location, that you might be heading into what very might well be some kind of trap. and if it isn't a trap, who knows (e.g.) whether the taliban side of the operation might have tapped some illiterate yokels who only know how to point & shoot a kalashnikov to oversee this trade, and if one of these guys might take a neutral hand-sign by a special forces guy to mean the SF guy is trying to summon an evil christian djinn, at which point our yokel starts poking everyone full of holes

Perhaps the problem is that you're a jackass?

Did Serial go into detail at any point about exactly how the trade worked? I feel like it must have, but all I remember is "then the trade was made and Bowe was free." But I'm usually multi-tasking when I listen to podcasts.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes that was almost a whole episode

Maybe I was busy with something else at the time. Which ep?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Sorry, I had no idea my objecting to Koenig's word choice in one episode would be so offensive. Please return to your conversation about what a goony sperglord Bowe is- that never gets old.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i still can't tell if jurgan is trolling or just clueless. i'm guessing a little of both

No, I just apparently didn't take detailed enough notes while listening to a podcast. I didn't realize there would be a book report.

Can we please move on?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Don' come back to afghanistan

This season was good and informative about the war in general. I hope Bowe doesn't get punished too harshly by the Army.

It was nice to get some insight on what Bowe was thinking, but he was probably the least interesting part of the story. It was best when Bowe was a prism through which to see the entire clusterfuck that is the Afghanistan war.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Are we getting another season of this story? I don't remember if that was announced, or if I'm confusing it with the announcement that they were only going to release episodes every two weeks.

I think they said they'd have updates, like the mini-episodes about Adnan's appeal.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

s2 had a lot more "big issues" in some ways but there was something EXCITING about Koenig and Chivvis trying to drive their lovely rental car to a best buy, and arguing about how unlucky adnan was

I think a lot of that is that s1 was more primary reporting. They actually went to the witnesses and interviewed them, and tested the stories for themselves. S2 had some original reporting, but a lot of it was just collecting and presenting previously known facts. Similarly, there were fewer unknowns. The details of Adnan's case contained questions that they were exploring for the first time, whereas most of the questions about Bowe had already been investigated at least somewhat. Basically, this season felt more like a collection of old reports than the direct investigation from S1.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Ooh, are we going to have another pissy slap fight about whether he was guilty?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

B B posted:

Are you implying that he didn't do it?

Do we have to do this again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Based solely on what was presented in Serial, I would have voted to acquit. That could mean he's innocent, that there wasn't enough evidence, that the trial was badly executed, or that the podcast was biased. But I really don't want to devote dozens of hours of my life to reading police reports, newspapers, and traveling to Baltimore to try to solve a seventeen year old murder. I just don't care enough. That means I cannot have a well-informed opinion, so I'm not going to argue whether he really did it.

• Locked thread