Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Maduo posted:

It's definitely interesting to get a deep dive on Bergdahl's story, even if the eventual conclusion is "Wow, this guy is a loving moron."

This is essentially how I feel about the season thus far, too. I'm really enjoying it, it's entertaining and intriguing, etc., but holy poo poo was that an awful plan. I'm not sure what I feel would be stupider--his account of things being the absolute truth or a narrative he came up with to cover his rear end.

I agree entirely that it's depressing how (provided his stated motives are sincere) he chose to go about bringing attention to such a serious issue. I've never served, but I don't think that's necessary experience for a person to be able to understand the potential danger, there.

Lastly, regardless of how much I enjoy the podcast, one thing both I'm uneasy about and highly amused by is how nuts Sarah's methods can be. I mean, I absolutely understand why a journalist covering this story would want or even need to talk to the Taliban, especially in lieu of not having direct contact with Bergdahl. The way she presented her call seemed inappropriately gleeful, but that's not the issue so much as it is my misgivings about trusting her. Last season I got the strong impression--and I even think she admitted to it in an episode--that she was sort of charmed by Adnan. Still, I can get past that by reminding myself that she usually caught herself when she did that, this season (and future seasons, I assume) will have a larger team doing the research and writing, and she doesn't have contact with Bergdahl (though the counterpoint here is that she does have contact with other sources you know we can't trust, such as the Taliban).

Thing is, I feel like my apprehensiveness actually adds some to the experience, enhancing the mystery. It may be questionable in terms of journalistic integrity/ethics, but I personally feel it makes for riveting listening.

e: tl;dr version: Bowe's plan paints him as being dumb as a rock and Sarah's methods can be questionable sometimes, but I kinda love that and can't wait for more.

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I also love how he evoked the names of characters like Bond and Bourne when talking about his plan to prove himself a heroic action hero-type super soldier by trekking almost 20 miles through a war zone riddled with dangers while not even armed with the ability to speak the local tongue. Whichever alternate reality gets to enjoy the books/films where those characters are stupid enough to make that a decent comparison is lucky. That'd be hilarious.

I laughed when he explained the moment reality hit him again and he realized he wasn't going to be able to outrun motorcycles or take on more than half a dozen gun toting Taliban with just a knife. Bond and Bourne could have taken care of that situation in no time and come out of it with some guns and a bike to show up at the FOB on.

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 11, 2015

• Locked thread