Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
This was a fun little episode, although they need to bring the funk to make it as interesting as season one. If I'm taking things at face value, though... Bowe's plan is dumb as gently caress and he got his head too far up his rear end about how much of a superman he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tucked-In T-Shirt posted:

Another cool episode. It's incredibly hard to empathize with an escape situation because it all seems so surreal. Really compelling episode though.

I'm actually feeling the opposite, where the only thing keeping my interest anymore is empathising with Bowe. He's a dumb rear end, but this is a really Herculean task he went through and would make a good movie like that one about the guy who cut his arm off after being trapped under a rock. Dude had some true grit to make it through this.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

GutBomb posted:

The only problem I have with the show is the swearing. It doesn't bother me, and if you're quoting someone, sure, don't change what they say, but as the host Sarah swearing is keeping me from being able to recommend the show to family members who would be less accepting of that sort of thing.

I disagree that it isn't the same kind of show though. It's doing exactly what it claims to. Tell a story week by week.

The argument there is that the genre of story has changed so drastically, it's putting people off. Going from a mystery whodunit to a military test of character story is a far enough leap that it could easily alienate a big portion of the audience.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hat Thoughts posted:

Can we all agree, at this point, that Adnan definitely did it?

Maybe, but Adnan wasn't proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, his trial was unconstitutional and he deserves to be fairly tried with proper legal representation.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jurgan posted:

Fair enough. Someone asked a question, and I answered. Now let's move on.

Episode 2 really brought out why people were so hard on him. When I first heard about Bowe, I thought "desertion? Is that really such a big deal?" Knowing how much poo poo people went through trying to save him, it's understandable why they take it seriously. Episode 3 didn't add much, though. I guess it showed how painful his imprisonment was, and I liked the bits about him putting obvious lies into his propaganda videos to clue in his side that the videos were false. But a lot of it was just a detailed blow-by-blow of how he escaped, and I didn't care as much.

You get that this is exactly what Koenig is trying to do, right?

She wants you to sympathize with Bowe, just like she had a whole episode devoted to making you sympathize with Adnan and showing him as a teenager like we all were at one point.

She's got to make the listener give a gently caress about SOMETHING in this story, so she's trying to make you think he's really brave for not cracking, and then later she's probably going to try make you question your sympathies. Whether it's working or not, that's what is intended here.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

GutBomb posted:

Maybe she's making you feel like that but I don't detect any manipulation. And I certainly don't sympathise with him. He's an idiot and his explanations all sound like excuses he came up with after the fact.

Serial is a piece of entertainment. She's trying to make her audience care about the story. I never said "manipulate". She's using basic entertainment principles to try to make a compelling narrative for her story. But seeing as you're biased against the whole thing from the start, you're never gonna let the storyteller do as she's intending to, so whatever, keep on hatin', dude. The basic story arc so far has been really, really obvious. She set up the backround, she did the capture, now she's done the first year of his captivity and his trauma/torture/neglect. She's probably gonna do another episode or three on the rest of his time since he was captured, then she'll do the immediate aftermath of the rescue, and probably an episode on the backlash against him.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

GutBomb posted:

I'm not biased against anything. I didn't even know much about this story before the show started airing other than John McCain being a dickhead about it. I understand it's entertainment but I'll deny that she's trying to get the listener to lean any specific way. She's presenting stories and facts and the opinion of the listener seems generally left to the listener to decide.

Everything has a bias, all news is framed to make you feel a certain way, sorry to break it to you, buddy.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

GutBomb posted:

I guess I'm just less susceptible to being influenced by media bias than you then, buddy.

You should probably get informed about media framing, narratives, and how information actually works, because you're not less susceptible, you just apparently can't see it when it happens. Just because you don't believe a legitimate thing is a thing, doesn't mean it's not there.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Adnan did it.

Nope. I did it. I framed adnan.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Today's episode makes it clear that Bowe is the best argument against homeschooling your kids ever.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
If there is nothing else that explains why Bowe walked away from his outpost, it's the hiding weapons thing, homeschooling, and the fact that her loves Ayn Rand.

Welp, there we go. Got it. That's why he walked off. Those three things explain his brain.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

VagueRant posted:

I'm just fascinated by how he apparently did very well in basic training (then went on in the goddamn infantry)...Yet he was, what? Three weeks into coastguard training when he had a psychotic break?

in the coast guard, he couldn't soothe his spergy ego by saying he was going to be Chuck Norris Delta Force Super Ninja Samurai Kung Fu Badass. That's how he got through basic in the army, promising himself he was gonna be a kung fu soldier warrior badass and use flails and nunchucks and kill all the terrorists who would be easy to tell apart from the civilians by their evil stares.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pron on VHS posted:

It seems Aspergers shields your brain from the suffering of imprisonment and torture, kinda like how having sickle-cell anemia prevents you from getting malaria

He probably had all the solitude and silence he needed to figure out exactly which one of the trains on Thomas the Tank Engine is his favorite.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sleeveless posted:

This episode all I could think of is how during the Bush administration Republicans were mute about him committing war crimes on the reg and handing out high-profile positions in Iraq to his supporters despite their complete lack of qualifications but Obama rubberstamping a top secret rescue mission without letting them in on it makes them pitch such a hissyfit that they're going out of their way to block legislation that even Dubya supported.

But you don't understand.

Obama baaaaaaad.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hey, if any of you guys want more investigative journalism, the podcast Reveal is really, really good.

Serial s2 was interesting, but not as impactful, and had a flat ending because there's no ending to be had for this story.

I hope the next season doesn't take a whole year to show up and is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

African AIDS cum posted:

What a shrewd plan to make season 2 bad and pointless on purpose.

I think that's NPR'S standard operating procedure.

• Locked thread