Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

wow, so a few of you think berghdahl's plan was poorly thought out? glad we have some people on that side of the fence. make sure to repeat your same three teenager-level arguments hundreds of times itt, because we sure didn't have people doing that in the thread for last season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Human posted:

What is your opinion, friend?

this is kind of controversial, but i'm excited there is a new season of this show because i enjoyed the first one. gonna listen to it. yeah, i know it's pretty out there, but that's how i feel :shobon:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Wake_N_Bake posted:

It was poorly thought out.

Source: Bowe Bergdahl.

you aren't doing it right. you need to write this as a five paragraph essay where you begin with another goon's quote and start out like you might actually address what they brought up, but then just shift to repeating the same 3 inane points you've been saying all along. make sure to do it dozens of times in the thread, even make a few posts where the quote at the top doesn't connect even tangentially to your pet issues

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

webmeister posted:

I'm interested to hear where this is going since as a non-American this story is pretty unknown to me. Obviously the guy comes off as a complete moron at first glance, but I'm keen to see how the "zoom" thing comes in, where Bergdahl becomes a small unrecognisable piece in a much much larger story.

I hope they take the story in a bunch of weird directions, because otherwise there's no point in spending that much time on it. The Berghdahl story, on the surface, is a lot of soundbite nonsense. First this missing guy was fetishized as an ARE TROOPS hero, except oh wait he kinda did a dumb thing so then the exact same people who previously had jerked off to how brave he was were saying how he's literally worse than Osama bin Laden. like some of the politicians who rail against him now still have up their crying-eagle POW tweets about him

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

TheFallenEvincar posted:

In episode 12, cell phone towers are unable to conclusively put God at the scene of the founding of the Taliban.

but God just seems so nice on the phone :swoon:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

she'll only get props from me if she stretches it out for like 5 seasons, then somehow ties the adnan smoking gun into a "the aristocrats" joke

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

my favorite tidbit was how the troops running around asking about him the day after the disappearance, might be the reason he got captured in the first place :allears:

and, of course, all hail the mail....khimp?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

for me this episode finally got into the meat of the story. i haven't followed the story beyond the basic "dude went off, was Taliban captive for five years", so this was the first i had heard about his actual captivity. just complete insanity, and this only covered the first year. as much as bowe's initial plan was lolbad, my impression so far of his captivity was that he really did make some effort in different ways to be unhelpful to the captors. my favorite part was where he made friends with that dog and it started sleeping next to him lol

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

go poo poo up the season 1 thread with your adnan :jerkbag: theories seriously we have a new goofball to sperg about

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

GaussianCopula posted:

Let's talk to a person who clearly has delusions of grandeur about their time in captivity. But because he doesn't want to talk to us, let's use the tapes in which he talked to a screenwriter about his story and let's just use that as facts.

And I thought season 1 was shoddy journalism with a personal agenda.

you may want to stick to basic cable, if the assumption of available critical thinking faculties on the listener's part is too difficult a concept for you to grasp

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i thought episode 4 was ok. to me it felt like they were branching outward instead of maintaining the narrower narrative focus that they maintained for the first three episode. I didn't like this branching out as much, but I still thought it was OK. One of the downsides I think this season will have compared to last is that Koenig really can't get as close to the story. Last season she talked directly with almost everyone involved in the case, but this time she isn't even talking to the main person, and a lot of the other stakeholders in Bowe's narrative aren't going to be giving her a straight story. It was certainly like that last season too, but the scale this time is much bigger. Instead of a bunch of kids and family members who knew each other in high school, and the (probably) tightly-knit legal community of Baltimore, you're dealing with the massive bureaucracy of the United States military, and a literal cult of apocalyptic religious fundamentalists who are paranoid about even being in the same room as a "Westerner" much less talking openly about substantial topics.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

I think I finally realized why this season is not engaging to me. With Adnan's case, There were so many things that were not agreed upon by multiple parties. People did not agree on the facts.

i have listened to This American Life and other NPR shows like that for a long time (my parents had it on when i was little) so it's understandable that a lot of people had much different expectations than I did, going in to season 2. it makes the steady trickle of :shrek: posters arriving itt slightly less insufferable, but only so

quote:

The conversation with Bowe is always the same. "Wow what an idiot, sure does suck how he was treated though". It sucks.

i dunno, i feel like they spent a lot of episode 1 and 2 going over many of the questions you brought up, like why he did it and what other people thought about it. maybe they didn't do it in a way that you like, but i feel like this kind of criticism is a bit goony to make when the show's literal tagline is "one story told week by week" and we're only on episode 4 of however many they plan to do this time around

although maybe they should change that slogan to "one story, told whenever the hell we feel like it" :v:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i don't mean "goony" as an insult. it's just an observation about how you seem to have a romantic view of s1 and you will not reconsider any of your premises on this fact whatsoever. and how you state everything with 110% certainty, presenting your opinion like it's a scientific proof about the universe. and how you did some quality fishmeching when i pointed out a factual error in something you wrote. all of that stuff is pretty goony imo

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 17, 2016

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Tucked-In T-Shirt posted:

if everyone was trying to internet-sleuth the case, that sounds like the most insufferable thing in the world to me.

a bunch of dipshit internet detectives went wild and even started harassing people irl about it who were connected to the case. i don't think goons got quite that bad, but i remember being linked to a whole section on reddit that had reams of information people had dug up, and that they were using to connect the dots on all kinds of insane theories. i think the only thing internet nerds produced that was of any value was the blueprint to that best buy with schrödinger's payphone

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Maduo posted:

That's maybe the one benefit to doing such a high profile case this season; Bergdahl's situation was already an insane shitshow before Sarah Koenig got there.

i guess that's one way to reddit-proof the subjects of your show. just have them be the US military, the Taliban, and some guy who is getting so much hate mail and death threats that he won't even notice a few nerdlords from the internet trying to be weird to him

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i liked this episode. i haven't followed the bergdahl story much so i am finally understanding how some of the pieces fit together. it's pretty sad how all of the federal bureaucracies were totally not prepared for a hostage situation like his, and how that was compounded by people all up and down the DoD chain of command who didn't give a poo poo about him. i think the people I've had the most respect for so far on the rescue side are bowe's dad and friend.

p.s. if any true crime nerds are still reading this thread, go watch Making a Murderer on Netflix. imo it's like the adnan case on steroids

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

there's a short adnan update episode up, and the new episode for s2

thought i'd mention that, in case anybody wants to discuss the serial podcast

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 5, 2016

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

episode 6 is amazing. oh my god. i'm closing in on the 20 minute mark and the entire thing has been bowe's fellow soldiers explaining how much of a huge goon he was

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

for me it's not that he smoked a pipe. it's more that he would watch for when dudes were smoking cigarettes, then roll up to the boys and eyyy what's up guys :c00l::pipe:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

now that we've all settled on a medical diagnosis for bowe, the real discussion can begin

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

ive always pictured it as adnan's old uncle who runs a little shop of some kind :)

and yeah this is the s2 thread but the 3 mini episodes about adnan's appeal hearing thingy were pretty interesting! asia mcclane took the stand! they're arguing about cell phone towers again!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

weapons hiding, samurai delusions, quoting john galt. welp, it's been fun, thread

---------------------------8<----------------------------

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

SporkOfTruth posted:

Koenig getting owned by the documentary producer was also loving amazing. She's such a credulous rear end, all too willing to go "OH HE'S JUST A SPECIAL INCORRUPTIBLE SNOWFLAKE" the second she found out he had a diagnosis. What an absolute embarrassment.

i wouldn't characterize her that way but i liked that he called her out. imo she comes across in that exchange as the kind of person who mentally puts people with disabilities into a kind of sanitized container, like "oh you're so precious and it must be so hard" and like c'mon, you can talk about bowe without making him into some kind of victim while at the same time not damning him completely. it's not one or the other. he's allowed to be a full person despite a personality disorder diagnosis

e:

yeah i also think the army hosed up big time in not checking him out more, or like if they could have given him a post where it would be a lot harder for him to do something like this. all the media attention seems to be focused on "omg....he walked off!!" but there seems to be less talk about holding accountable the many people who allowed him to get into that position in the first place

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 21, 2016

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Kings Of Calabria posted:

I'm sure there's some brown people moonspeak = bad going on, but those dudes clearly had no idea wtf happened and were desperate to figure it out. I can't fault them for looking back and wondering why spergdahl was trying to learn to speak the language of the people they thought he voluntarily deserted the army for.

this was literally their stated mission, to make friends with the locals. the fact that they weren't trained properly for it and a significant number of units didn't give a poo poo about this aspect of it doesn't make the whole "durr he learn terrorist language, he bad" thing any less stupid. if you're going to give them a pass on this, at least do it in a way that makes sense

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

uhh it was a mutual trade you guys. they probably set it up when they were browsing the for-trade section of abdullahslist

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i feel like both Adnan and Bowe were both terminally goony

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Jurgan posted:

Thank you! No, I didn't know that, which is why I asked the question in the first place. But apparently no one else could give a direct answer, instead saying variations of "because you're a stupid loving goon who smells bad." Which may be true, but not relevant.

the problem was that your question was moronic on a level where i couldn't tell if you were really that stupid or if you had decided to start trolling the thread. i didn't understand how someone could think about the idea of recovering a hostage from the taliban for more than two seconds and realize it might involve going out into bumfuck nowhere, afghanistan. and when you get out to the nowhere location, that you might be heading into what very might well be some kind of trap. and if it isn't a trap, who knows (e.g.) whether the taliban side of the operation might have tapped some illiterate yokels who only know how to point & shoot a kalashnikov to oversee this trade, and if one of these guys might take a neutral hand-sign by a special forces guy to mean the SF guy is trying to summon an evil christian djinn, at which point our yokel starts poking everyone full of holes

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 3, 2016

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i still can't tell if jurgan is trolling or just clueless. i'm guessing a little of both

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Are we getting another season of this story? I don't remember if that was announced, or if I'm confusing it with the announcement that they were only going to release episodes every two weeks.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

s2 had a lot more "big issues" in some ways but there was something EXCITING about Koenig and Chivvis trying to drive their lovely rental car to a best buy, and arguing about how unlucky adnan was

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Jurgan posted:

I think a lot of that is that s1 was more primary reporting. They actually went to the witnesses and interviewed them, and tested the stories for themselves. S2 had some original reporting, but a lot of it was just collecting and presenting previously known facts. Similarly, there were fewer unknowns. The details of Adnan's case contained questions that they were exploring for the first time, whereas most of the questions about Bowe had already been investigated at least somewhat. Basically, this season felt more like a collection of old reports than the direct investigation from S1.

yeah this is pretty much my opinion, also. like, in the grand scheme of things, who cares about tracking down some guy in Baltimore who went to prom with some girl. but i liked those little anecdotes and personal interest aspects a lot more than hearing bowe over a phone line talking to mark boal for the fifth hour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

in real terms s2 was way more insane. they did a bad job of selling it though

im curious about the exact circumstances surrounding the production of this season. we know it was a deal where they were kinda just offered the interview tapes, but it's not clear if they were just kind of padding out the episodes with a minimum of effort, or if they had to agree to a bunch of conditions to get the tapes, or what. this is like venturing into public radio conspiracy theory land though, so I'll stop

• Locked thread