Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Does this mean I can start wondering who to keep in my keeper leagues now :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

You might be able to still use Machado at short in Yahoo. I know five games is one of their thresholds but I don't remember if it's just to add it in season or if it's enough to also carry it over to the next year.

ESPN I believe requires 20 games, though.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ZenVulgarity posted:

12-team HTH 6x6 R/HR/RBI/SB/OBP/SLG and HR Allowed/K/ERA/WHIP/QS/NSVH

Who gets dropped from my eight and who gets kept? Some people are obvious I think. And I do think I have some tradable assets.

I'd say Goldy and Rizzo are probably better keepers than Abreu, so if you don't want to keep three 1B then that's an easy case to not keep him. Sale at 9 is great value, I think Thor at 15 is as well. Marte seems like a no brainer. Hopefully that helps you narrow it down a bit.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Senf posted:

Having 8 keepers in a 16-team league is so much fun. I purposely bombed two seasons ago and swung a bunch of trades with draft picks to end up with this for the foreseeable future:

Harper
Machado
Pollock
Bryant
Tulo
Schwarber
Lucroy
Pederson or Sonny Gray

I'll just draft All The Pitching this year and play the waivers like usual. Would you guys keep Pederson or Gray?

Both and drop or trade LuCroy

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ZenVulgarity posted:

We have two util positions so I would have room.

Why abreu over Cruz?

I guess I was sort of assuming that not keeping Abreu meant you would keep Cruz.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

My main keeper league renewed yesterday so I can finally take a closer look at the roster and not use the "past years" setup yahoo has for leagues that haven't yet.

We keep ten players, 12 teams, 6x6 with OPS and QS added. Keepers are your first ten picks, keep forever. These players on my roster were in the top 100 last year.

Mike Trout (OF)
Miguel Cabrera (1B)
Anthony Rizzo (1B)
Robinson Cano (2B)
Matt Kemp (OF)
Brian Dozier (2B)
Alex Rodriguez (Util) - lol, didn't realize he had so few games in the field
Miguel Sano (3B)*
Byron Buxton (OF)*
*technically not top 100 but I need to keep them, I think

Zack Grienke (SP)
Masahiro Tanaka (SP)
Craig Kimbrel (RP)
Wade Davis (RP)
Jeurys Familia (RP)
Mark Melancon (RP)

I've always kept one RP (Kimbrel) but I'm thinking that I can't afford to do that anymore. Not keeping one would allow me to drop the RPs and A-Rod (as much as I want to keep him we only have two util spots so I'd have to drop Dozier or Cano to do so) and keep everyone else. OTOH I really like being able to keep an awesome closer so I only have to draft one or two :shobon:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

weas posted:

Careful with Sano this year guys, 35.5% K rate last season.

He also had a 15.8% BB rate and a 5.4% dinger rate.

Welcome to the Miguel Sano experience :getin:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Yeah, that's the mashiest of mashes.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rand alPaul posted:

What leagues are you guys playing in that people are already making trade offers? I don't even know when mine will draft :psyduck:

Keeper leagues, so people are trading players around pre-draft mainly.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Moneyball posted:

Got bored and tried to figure out a H2H version of an all-suck league. Or maybe I'll make it roto.
Either way, Ian Desmond seems great.

I had to add a ton more pitching categories than hitting, because for one, there aren't enough categories for hitters that punish you the more you have, and two, without the RP categories, they are near useless. I guess your goal here is to try to get your opponent to go 10 - 0. Or if I switch it to roto, the lowest score wins. I need to think this through a lot more.

https://yho.com/mlb?l=1197&k=18acaac864c9b5d7&soc_trk=lnk&ikey=715f12136672a9f1

I joined because I'm interested, but you're putting way too much emphasis on pitchers, and you're also not truly punishing people for having good players (Kris Bryant is a very good player in this league, for example, because he strikes out a lot and has a fair amount of errors and GIDPs, which are three of the four hitting stats). Generally the best way to do it is to find a good mix of positive and negative categories and make it a points league, with the stereotypical good things giving negative points, and vice versa.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Schweinhund posted:

I like having a draft early because by the time April rolls around all the good sleepers have been hyped to death and they end up not being sleepers anymore.

And then you just pick up all the solid players that fall to you while everyone else is picking their "sleepers" at cost, essentially.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Abel Wingnut posted:

guys coming back from injury/bad luck:
samardzija

lol

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I've just never seen anything to indicate Samardzija is anything other than a mediocre pitcher that had one good year where his BABIP was lower than normal. He's 31 now so I don't think he's going to break through like people keep expecting him to.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Abel Wingnut posted:

would i be crazy to trade carrasco, pollock, and schwarber, all of whom are $10 each, for a $10 correa?

Can we put this post in the OP as an example of why you need to include league settings (including keeper rules) instead of just asking an open ended question?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Abel Wingnut posted:

obp instead of avg, slg, qs

How many teams are in your league?

How many keepers does each team get?

How long are you allowed to keep players?

How much does their cost go up each year?

What does your keeper roster look like before/after the trade?

How many licks does it take to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop?

How much is your budget?

Is it a points league?

Head to Head or Roto?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Abel Wingnut posted:

13 teams. keep 6. 6x6 roto, obp instead of avg, slg and qs added. 225 budget.

schwarber - $10
rizzo - $25
donaldson - $30
pollock - $10
conforto - $10
david ortiz - $10
carlos santana - $10

scherzer - $21
carrasco - $10
cueto - $10
stroman - $10
liriano - $10
zimmermann - $10

right now: schwarber, rizzo, donaldson, pollock, scherzer, and carrasco

keepers start at $10, go up to $25 the next year, then $5 more per year. $50 is max.

Short term you're better off not doing it, since you should be getting much more than $10 from all those players. I don't know who you'd plan on filling the two freed up spots with but Cueto and Stroman are decent options (or just keeping the extra cash for your budget). In a vacuum I generally favor offense over pitching, though.

Long term I'd rather have Correa over Pollock, but I don't know how much the difference is (I don't do much in auction). Also, if you can get pitchers like Scherzer for $21 (yes I realize he had a down year in 2014 but that still seems low) then I'm not sure you'd keep Carrasco at $25 next year, so that's also worth considering. Schwarber's value going forward probably entirely depends on if he sticks at catcher.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Does anyone have a particular favourite among the big sites (espn, yahoo, mlb.com, any other that I've overlooked) for running a League for your friends? Do any have particular advantages etc?

I use Yahoo because their mobile app works

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Doghouse posted:

Given that one of the stats that is counted is saves, should I disregard better relief pitchers who won't be closing, in favor of worse closers? Is that how that works? Seems dumb that saves is a thing.

There are four basic strategies regarding saves, and you'll have to tweak your approach depending on your other league settings

1: Draft closers as normal, trying to get enough saves to feel good about your team.

2: Only draft a couple closers and end up in the lower half of saves, but get really good ones so the rest of your ratios won't get hurt.

3: Draft no closers and just pick up the guys who get the job early-mid season because of performance/injury issues with the guys that start the season with the job.

4: Draft no closers and punt the category, draft really good setup guys instead to slot in your RP spots to help you with ratios/Ks.

I tend to combine 2 and 3, personally. I don't like the idea of punting a category unless a league is set up that I can take big advantage of it, and I don't feel like punting saves in a standard setup is one of those situations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Monday_ posted:

Looking for someone to take over a team in my keeper league. 10 teams, 6x6 H2H, categories are R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS, W, K, SV, Holds, ERA, WHIP. Keeper rules are keep up to 5 players, no 1st, 2nd or 3rd rounders, 2 rounds of inflation per year, and you can only keep a guy twice.

You can take a look at all the teams here. The team you'd be taking over is Charlie's Hustlers.

PM me or email me at monday4k@gmail.com if you're interested.

Speaking of that league, I can't decide between Brian Dozier (16) or Corey Seager (25) for my fifth keeper :v:

Already Keeping Pollock, Machado, Sano, and Schwarber. Yes I would double up on SS if I keep Seager but we also have a MI slot. Also this would be the last time I can keep Dozier, but Seager I could still keep next year.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Your Dozier fetish is showing again... ;)

Can't really go too wrong with either one, but I'd take Seager personally. 25th round and that extra year for someone that could be a top 40-50 player...

It's sort of a devil you know vs devil you don't situation. Dozier will give me 20 dingers, 90 runs, 15 steals, hit around .250, ops around .775. Seager has the potential to do that but he could also fall into a sophmore slump and not even come close. :shrug:

At the moment I have it set as Seager anyway, but I wanted more opinions.

Also it's not a Dozier fetish when I'm right about how good he is :colbert:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ZiPS is up on Fangraphs if anyone is in to that sort of thing.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I went into my first draft woefully underprepared and am super glad that my keepers own, please tell me how terrible my actual picks were!

H2H 6x6 (OPS and QS added), 12 teams, each team keeps ten players between seasons at no cost (they are every team's first ten picks, and yes you have to keep ten), no start limit but 7 weekly transaction limit.

Keepers are italicized.

C: JT Realmuto
1B: Miggy Cabs
2B: Dozier
SS: Kang
3B: Sano
OF: Trout
OF: Kemp
OF: Buxton
UT: Cano
UT: Rizzo
BN: Escobar (will be SS while Kang recovers), Hyun-Soo Kim

SP: Grienke
SP: Tanaka
RP: Davis
RP: Perkins
P: Zeigler
P: T. Walker
P: Odorizzi
BN: E. Santana, Heany, I. Kennedy, T. Duffey (just in case he makes the rotation)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I just want to say (because there is no team name thread) that I am very glad Zootopia is so good because it allowed me to continue my theme of Disney inspired team names (even though I kinda liked All-Stardew Valley).

I have Anthony Rizzo and Jake Ororizzi so I named it Rizzotopia

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 14, 2016

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

But overall, what do you think?

I still don't know why you drafted Lucas Duda

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Nothing, I just don't know when you'd play him.

I generally prefer to use my bench for either injury replacements or high upside guys and Duda isn't really either of those things, imo.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

JosefStalinator posted:

My main concern is whether Sano is a bit more risky than Syndergaard. He struck out A LOT last year, is the consensus that he'll continue to be worth it despite that?

I really wanted to keep all three but after I traded for one last round pick, the other team owners started asking for my second or third round pick for them :-/.

People love bringing up Sano's K-Rate while blissfully ignoring that his BB-Rate was 15.8%. He strikes out a lot but he doesn't expand his strike zone and swing at bad pitches.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

JosefStalinator posted:

Good to know. I may be swayed away to Sano over Syndergaard then. K's are technically a negative category in the league (dumb I know) but I usually just use it as my dump category and go heavy on HR's and OPS anyway. Like you said, he'll keep a decent walk rate and average to not screw me on those stats.

Here's a fangraphs article on his plate discipline. If he can stay on this path he's in some amazing company, but he's also only been in the league for half a year and who knows what scouting reports are going to bring.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Without knowing anything at all about the league (because you decided not to include it) I don't really have any problem with that trade.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

H2H points, no keepers.

Team 1 gets:
Odor
Donaldson
Boegarts
Alex Gordon

Team 2 gets:
Cano
CarGo
Correa
Gregory Polanco

neat

shame I have no idea what categories are being used or what their point values are

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Moneyball posted:

Not much of a difference, but Correa side is getting the better deal. Though they lose their starting 3B

That lack of a 3B really makes me wonder if it's actually a good deal for that side. Depending on who they'd be starting there after the trade I might say it's not worth it.

In a vacuum judging on talent alone and with scoring settings that aren't dumb though yeah the side getting Correa is getting the better deal, but it's not by a gigantic amount or anything.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

10 or 12 teams? I really like that team either way, just curious.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DoctaFun posted:

auction drafts :).

I was trying so hard to figure out how you drafted that team :downs:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Saw this team on reddit and I thought you all would be amused too. He had the fifth pick in a 12 team h2h snake.

He also picked up Jose Berrios after the draft.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Moneyball posted:

Is Sano supposed to pick up OF eligibility at some point?

he will be starting in right field yes

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ZenVulgarity posted:

Oh what the gently caress the auction draft happened?

WHAT THE gently caress, YAHOO

And it only lasted like three hours this time!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

What's your total budget? My initial thought is EE, Kluber, and Martinez and if you really want Stanton you can probably get him for around what you'd be keeping him at (and even if you have to pay a little more you're still saving a lot of money because of the savings on the other three)

e:

Michael Corleone posted:

260, just came back to edit that in.

Yeah, I think you can still get Stanton in the low 40s, then.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 29, 2016

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

My buddy offered me a tempting trade, but wanted some input from you guys...

Give: Tanaka
Get: Odor

thoughts?

Mash, drop Wong for a pitcher. Stash Berrios if you can because he might be up before the end of April.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 29, 2016

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

euphronius posted:

Maybe we should all post our sleeper late round / $1 / waiver wire pick ups.

Like Vincent Velasquez

I was pleasantly surprised to see him available when Tyler Duffey was sent to the minors today!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ChiTownEddie posted:

This just hit my baseball chat news: http://bigstory.ap.org/article/478442b2b00a479bbffae439604eb8eb
"Jose Reyes' domestic abuse case to be dropped"
Even if it does he will probably get suspended but this could put a damper on Story's value if Reyes is returning in early May or something.

E: vvv I'm too used to the NFL? Well either way its a big hit to Story's value.

Well I'm certainly willing to take a flier on Reyes instead of *random guy I picked at the end of the draft* so I grabbed him in the leagues he's still available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

To be fair that's a pretty awful trade offer

• Locked thread