Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Anyone doing a cash league for this? I usually do a Yahoo pro 20 but I'd rather have a goon league

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Spoeank posted:

Yahoo opens in 2 days

:fap:

Is it smart to do a pro league this early? I feel like a lot can happen between now and opening day.

Also I watch zero baseball but I love playing fantasy. Who are some guys that looked like they were on fire last season and should be must pickups this year? I have a feeling I want to target Machado or Pederson early.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I want to do a Yahoo Pro20 right now but I feel like it's too early, right? Shouldn't I wait til mid march?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
So I should wait then because I'm the definition of a fish when it comes to the MLB. I need the ADP rankings in order to survive, or a handy cheat sheet on who to draft.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Who are the sleepers I should be targeting this year? I literally have no idea and playing a poo poo ton of OOTP didn't help me either.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Abel Wingnut posted:

are you talking prospects or guys that are massively underrated?

Both I guess. I know Piscotty is a good person to target and I think some other guys might be good if they stay healthy, like Werth and Zimmerman.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
What round is good to target the younger Seager brother in YahooPro20 standard rotisserrie?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I have the third pick in Yahoo Standard scoring 12 team rotis. Would I be crazy to grab Machado there?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

IMB posted:

After Trout and Harper, he's as good a bet as any.

Luckily they let me get Harper so I didn't have the tough choice. Now right now I'm waiting for my fourth round pick after snapping up Harper - Betts - Springer. Springer was a tough choice over him, Marte, and J.D. Martinez but I just like saying Springer Dinger to myself.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Ok finished the draft and got this team in YahooPro20 standard settings rotis:

C - Salvador Perez
1B - Freddie Freeman
2B - Jonathan Schoop
SS - Starlin Castro
3B - Todd Frazier
OF - Bryce Harper
OF - Mookie Betts
OF - George Springer
Util - Eric Hosmer
Util - Gregory Polanco
BN - Kyle Seager
BN - Brandon Belt
BN - Khris Davis
BN - Howie Kendrick

SP - Carlos Carrasco
SP - Tyson Ross
RP - Keone Kela
RP - Corey Knebel
P - Raisel Iglesias
P - Taijuan Walker
P - Patrick Corbin
P - Kyle Hendricks
BN - Wei-Yin Chen

I'm super happy with my starting pitchers and OFers. I have insurance/trade bait with Belt and Hosmer on Freeman's wrist, and managed to pick up two decent sleeper middle infielders late with Schoop and Castro. I'm obviously punting saves but drat my starting pitching is the tits for how late I drafted it.

Also since I don't trust Kela or Knebel at all are any of these guys on the waiver better prospective pick ups to eventually get the starting closer gigs?

Doltos fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Feb 24, 2016

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

weas posted:

Loooooooooooooooooooooove this team nice work.

Thanks I drafted purely off of advice from Razzball. It let me sit a long time and take two top 10 positional guys in Castro and Schoop plus helped me sort through all the pitchers this year. Also took Grey's advice and sat on my pitching staff for a loooong time before getting two K/9 studs in Carrasco and Ross. Woulda snagged Matz too but someone took him ridiculously early when I was about to take him ridiculously early with the next pick.

Only thing I feel bad about is taking Springer when J.D. Martinez and Starling Marte were available. I think I'd rather have either of those guys over him right now.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Timby posted:

Castro is a hugely BABIP-dependent hitter and in his career he's been slaughtered by AL pitching, so I would keep your eyes open for any possible upgrade at SS.

Yeah I was already trying to make a Harper for Machado flip since I'm huge on OF and could take someone good off the Machado guy (who already traded DeGrom for Rendon, Odriozzi, and Cishek).

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

ZenVulgarity posted:

This is legitimately better than some 10 person teams

Yeah it really is all thanks to Grey at razzball.com because I don't even watch baseball. I saw a ton of guys getting taken too high and a huge run on early pitchers. I've played rotis since 2008 with goons but only finished first once, probably because I constantly take pitchers early and load up on relief. This time I just sat and took a ton of great hitters which let me build up a really solid bullpen later.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

bewbies posted:

Assess the accuracy of this statement: "In beginner or less competitive leagues, younger players tend to be overvalued because of the excitement for prospects and hopeful upsides. In more competitive leagues, older players tend to be overvalued, because experienced drafters tend to prefer proven performance over upside".

It depends on the sport. I'm inexperienced with baseball and inevitably midway through the season I'll drop a reliable boring guy for an exciting prospect. But in NFL or NBA I'll definitely pick up exciting prospects with hopeful upsides over reliable boring vets in mid rounds or off the waiver wire.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Should I drop Kendrick for Story in standard 12 team Rotis? Kendrick seems more steady but I like Story being in Colorado and everything, plus his minor numbers aren't terrible.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Well its rotis short for rotisserie but yeah I know about roto too.

Kendricks a bench bat and my starting SS is Starlin Castro

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

weas posted:

Do the "Win 6-4 every week" H2H teams actually work full-season? Always seemed to me like a recipe to having a .500 team since you can't do better than 6 wins in any week, but you can certainly do worse if some bad luck comes your way.

I've only ever done rotisserie baseball but in basketball I punt categories constantly. If I can guarantee a 5-4 in 9 cat and usually get a 6-3 or better I almost always make the playoffs. It's really easy to do too. Just don't take risks and draft consistent contributors across the board for insurance against injuries.

Winning the playoffs is a different matter.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Standard Yahoo Rotisserie someone offered me Lindor and Zobrist for Hosmer. Castros my starting SS and I have Freddie Freeman/Brandon Belt waiting in the wings. I mash accept and never look back, right?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
god bless america

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

MinibarMatchman posted:

I'd love to hear more about this team as the season goes on, even if it's just in 8-team league. I've never seen someone totally go all-in with pitching like this. In my own experience I usually don't draft pitchers too early and end up streaming lots of guys day to day but it'd be interesting to see how many wins come out of those dudes, besides the obvious K category you'll win every week.

I did it in rotisserie the second year I ever did fantasy and got last place in the league. Pitchings such a total crapshoot that even when you draft like six sure fire can't miss guys and three guaranteed closers by the end of the year your ERA is 3.85+ and your relief got hurt/replaced.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
This trade is in the process of going through in my league

Team A gives:
Dustin Pedroia
Manny Machado
Kevin Pillar
Steven Piscotty

Team B gives:
Rougned Odor
Charlie Blackmon
Yasiel Puig
Justin Turner
Jason Hammel

I think this is total trade rape but I'm not sure. Puig might bounce back but Blackmon feels like he's going to get traded and Odor seems overrated. Pillar and Piscotty seem like good assets too.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Dandy Kaiser posted:

Where should I be looking to go for my first two picks? I'm thinking that Betts or Votto at 1.9 should be a no-brainer if either are there, and then I guess Davis? He's a guy who I always try to avoid but is there really a better choice?

Just looking at your offensive categories and some stats I'd really want J.D. Martinez over Crush. According to Razzball's top 500 you'd want to go Martinez -> JUpton -> Crush.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Im doing another standard scoring yahoopro20 but it's h2h. How different is the strategy vs roto? Do I draft more pitchers earlier?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Spoeank posted:

I punt stolen bases and use a bunch of moves to churn pitchers during the season.

So just go for consistent contributors for batting and pick up decent pitchers plus have room to stream pitchers?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Did this draft just now in a yahoopro20 standard 5x5 scoring:

C - Nick Hundley
1B - Anthony Rizzo
2B - Ben Zobrist
3B - Matt Duffy
SS - Corey Seager
OF - Mookie Betts
OF - Starling Marte
OF - Gregory Polanco
Util - Eric Hosmer
Util - Brandon Belt
BN - Delino DeShields
BN - Jonathan Schoop

SP - Gerrit Cole
SP - Carlos Carrasco
RP - Shawn Tolleson
RP - Darren O'Day
P - Carlos Rodon
P - Steven Matz
P - Taijuan Walker
P - Patrick Corbin
BN - Jason Hammel
BN - Joe Ross
BN - Andrew Heaney

I went a bit more pitcher heavy so I can avoid streaming. Two dudes were probably doing razzball rankings too because they were stealing picks from me all over the place. Kinda wish my batting was better.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

DoctaFun posted:

I'd actually be interested to see a thorough analysis on spring training vs regular season. I know they aren't necessarily predictive. But do great spring stats better correlate with good season stats than poor/average spring stats? Or are they actually meaningless.

You could probably just run a correlation test in SPSS that lists all the spring averages vs regular season but the issue with that is the amount of at bats in spring versus regular season. Billy Burns led the league with 78 at bats in last year's spring training which is 12% of the Altuve's lead leaguing 638 bats over the span of last season. So in an optimal case you're only seeing 12% of total production in spring training which is the equivalent of judging a batter only based on 3/4ths of his April stats. Even if you find a significance you'd be hard pressed to definitively say that it was truly predicative. I mean that's what you're looking for, a regression model to see if you can link up spring training stats to regular season. Just ain't worth its salt.

Also there is the external validity factor of players just not trying that hard. Guys who already have major league contracts or guaranteed roster spots aren't going to throw their elbow out or care too much about plate discipline in meaningless games. Guys who have something to prove are going to go balls to the wall to land in AAA or secure a MLB roster spot.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

euphronius posted:

I love this new era of high drafting 22-23 yos with less than 1000 PAs.

Yeah I'm desperately trying to flip Seager the Younger and Rizzo for Harper and Lindor in a standard 5x5 H2H right now. I don't trust Lindor or Seager but I trust Seager less.

He might bight too because he has a glut of OFs and his 1B is Chris Carter.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I have Hosmer in both of my leagues and got an awesome offer for him in both of them. I think it's because yahoo released this draft blurb about how he has the same stat production as Abreu.

Twin Cinema posted:

I spent the entire draft waiting on drafting Schoop, because I was the last person who needed 2B, and I figured I could take him with one of my last picks.

My 2B is now Scooter Gennett.

Just try to swing a random trade for Schoop. I have him in both my leagues and it feels like no one cares about him or knows who he is.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
In a keeper league that deep I'd think logic dictates taking the young dude who will hit for average, get steals, and a handful of dingers over the old dude.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
That's not too bad of a draft either

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Vernacular posted:

Had my draft tonight. H2H weekly, 6 x 6 (with OPS and K/BB, as well as S+H instead of S). What do you guys think?

C Mesoraco
1B Rizzo (K)
2B Odor
3B Bryant (K)
SS Correa (K)
CI Votto (K)
MI Lindor
OF Stanton (K)
OF Belt
OF B. Hamilton
OF Deshields
OF Kh. Davis
UT Ozuna
BN Olivera
NA N. Williams

SP Wainwright
SP Matz
SP Rodon
SP Odorizzi
SP Smyly
SP Severino
RP Perkins
RP Storen
RP Gregerson
DL Darvish

OF and SP might end up being a bit of an adventure, but I'm generally pretty happy with how it went.

Holy poo poo your team is insane how many people do you have in your league? You have like 5 legit first rounder keepers and all your ancillary batters are huge one cat guys, which isn't great, but is still beyond solid. Your pitching staff is full of great sleeper picks according to Razzball too.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Someone dropped Rasiel Iglesias and somehow this guy who made 3 moves already was higher on the waiver wire than me and snagged him.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

DoctaFun posted:

It should be worth noting that I picked up Correa a few weeks before he got called up, but my team started like 0-5 last year and I was desperate to win games so I dropped him. Ended up dropping him like a week before his call-up.

I too missed out on the Correa train by picking him up then cutting him a day later because I've been burned by Astros prospects in the past.

I swear I'm a pitching whisperer when it comes to the free agent wire considering I picked up Jose Fernandez and Arrieta before they were 'names' but when it comes to batters I usually chase hot streak guys and end up last placing every category. Although one year I did grab Lance Berkman when he had that crazy rear end renaissance.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Someone in my yahoo public league posted this about me:

my teams name is mollywhollop :/

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

IcePhoenix posted:

To be fair that's a pretty awful trade offer

I send out feeler trades and expect a counter offer. People that just reject without a message or don't counter offer are the plague upon fantasy leagues.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

IcePhoenix posted:

OTOH I feel like there is a difference between a feeler and an insult and you need to not cross that line.

Dude has literally no catcher on his team and a glut of closers in a rotisserie league.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
He didn't say no he just rejected the offer. Like I said, there's a message below the accept/reject/counter for a reason.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Some people just don't want to trade. That doesn't make them dicks.

Did you read the second part of that sentence where I said reject without a message? How am I supposed to know the person doesn't want to trade more if they just hit reject?

I stand by my statement. If I don't want to trade I send a message saying that or I send a counter offer. Very simple etiquette especially in yahoo leagues where I don't know any of these people personally.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
To each their own. I'd never want to play in a league where people just straight reject without even trying to communicate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

IcePhoenix posted:

Doltos did you consider that if he never told you in a message that he wasn't interested that you should call him out in his whinepost in the league instead of just complaining about it here

Pssht I called him out in the league before I posted it here. I just have the viewpoint that people who don't counter offer or send a message in the rejection are practicing poor etiquette but apparently sending a message like "no ty not interested" is asking the world according to some goons here.

• Locked thread