Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I don't know why I always watch this show as quickly as I can whenever it comes out, because it depresses me to no end. But I guess I still like it.

Anyway here's my ranking of the Pfeffermans from most lovely to least lovely:

1. Sarah
2. Josh
3. Allie
4. Shelley
5. Maura

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

FadingChord posted:

I think I liked this season better than the last one except I really liked the idea of Buzz being a normal, wise old man character interjected into the crazy family instead of him turning into a giant moocher.

I feel like the last episode redeemed Buzz a little bit. I mean he set them up on a nice vacation and encouraged Shelley into her show (which he produced) that turned out pretty well. I mean I guess it turned out pretty well. I suppose you're supposed to assume it was more than one song and it all went well. Buzz still sucks in the end though, but maybe not as horribly.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Season 3 is really upping the "you wanted to see what your parents/grandparents' vinegar strokes face looks like, don't you?" factor. That bathtub scene, holy poo poo.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

precision posted:

Season 3 is really upping the "you wanted to see what your parents/grandparents' vinegar strokes face looks like, don't you?" factor. That bathtub scene, holy poo poo.

Wasn't that season two?

PostNouveau posted:

I don't know why I always watch this show as quickly as I can whenever it comes out, because it depresses me to no end. But I guess I still like it.

1. Sarah
2. Josh
3. Allie
4. Shelley
5. Maura

Maura is a shittier person than Shelley, I think. When she said she didn't feel at home with the family, she was absolutely right, and Maura's abrasiveness with her only worsens it. The kids are shittier than the parents though, but the ranking on the kids literally changes episode to episode for me.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

precision posted:

Are you accidentally rewatching season 2?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Henchman of Santa posted:

Are you accidentally rewatching season 2?

Nichael posted:

Wasn't that season two?

Holy poo poo, I feel stupid. I guess I somehow managed to never watch season 2 because I was just clicking on "play next" without looking, haha.

But on the plus side, that means more episodes to catch up on!

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

PostNouveau posted:

1. Sarah
2. Josh
3. Allie
4. Shelley
5. Maura

I place Josh below Allie on my list as an adjustment for how he was molested by Rita for years. But I'm with you.

Definitely, they're revealing more of how lovely Maura is, though. When she just assumed that [3x01] those Latina transwomen were sex workers, that was pretty rough. Though I don't particularly blame her for disengaging from her family...they haven't been great to her in recent years.

Also, the flashback episode with Mort in the bomb shelter was exactly as depressing as it sounds but also a great episode.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Allie never really bothers me as much as the other two because she's mostly just oblivious. She only gets on my nerves when she's talking about her studies. But she seems to be earnestly pursuing what she wants and just doesn't understand her generally poor reasons for wanting those things. Josh half-asses everything he does and every relationship he has, and Sarah's just a loving lunatic.

That flashback episode was definitely the highlight of the season.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
They're all kind of awful in their own way. The Fishers from Six Feet Under have their poo poo together more than the Pfeffermans.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

FadingChord posted:

I think I liked this season better than the last one except I really liked the idea of Buzz being a normal, wise old man character interjected into the crazy family instead of him turning into a giant moocher.

At some point in this season, Judith Light became my favorite part of the show. Just a great season and a much better note to hypothetically end on over Season 2.

Agree on every point. I loved Buzz and wish he was the stability Shelly needed and not just a total money-suck. I also started really liking Shelly and I suspect everyone started feeling bad for her after the flashback episode. She brings it up during her performance - she's always attracted to men who want to keep a secret, even Buzz fits this category. She's also experiencing real growth, a rarity for any character except Maura, whose currently stuck in her own quagmire.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Allie never really bothers me as much as the other two because she's mostly just oblivious. She only gets on my nerves when she's talking about her studies. But she seems to be earnestly pursuing what she wants and just doesn't understand her generally poor reasons for wanting those things. Josh half-asses everything he does and every relationship he has, and Sarah's just a loving lunatic.

That flashback episode was definitely the highlight of the season.

Allie's treatment of Sydney was really lovely and goes beyond being oblivious. And not that it's a morality issue, but I find her relationship with Leslie off putting due to the age and power differential. It's kind of creepy. But then again, so was Josh's with Rita, obviously. The whole family is hosed up. I'm always amazed I make it through a season and actively enjoy the show due to how unappealing they are, but the writing and performances are always really strong.

The flashback really was good. The young Shelly actresses were both so similar to present day Shelly that it was eerie.

Nichael fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Sep 29, 2016

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

All of the Pfeffermans are terrible human beings but if we're ranking them on a scale against each other then I think Mort/Maura and Shelly both get some serious bonus points for being terrible and neglectful parents.

Also Nacho is the least lovely member of the family :colbert:

https://twitter.com/ErikMAdams/status/780069879705731072

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Nichael posted:

Allie's treatment of Sydney was really lovely and goes beyond being oblivious. And not that it's a morality issue, but I find her relationship with Leslie off putting due to the age and power differential. It's kind of creepy. But then again, so was Josh's with Rita, obviously. The whole family is hosed up. I'm always amazed I make it through a season and actively enjoy the show due to how unappealing they are, but the writing and performances are always really strong.

The flashback really was good. The young Shelly actresses were both so similar to present day Shelly that it was eerie.

All of the Pfeffermans frustrate me but Leslie is the only character whose presence actively bothers me. She just comes off as so predatory and I don't see what her charms are at all.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Leslie is the only character whose presence actively bothers me. She just comes off as so predatory and I don't see what her charms are at all.

Status. I imagine it's the queer scholarship version of dating a famous novelist or film director or something. Allie's attracted to the idea that a Big Important Person is interested in her. As a validation thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man, this season was great. Maybe JUST below the others, but that's more because it didn't quite all come together at the end like the others did. I feel like there's a lot left up in the air - like next year will be a more direct sequel to this season than before.

Was really fun to see Shelly become the breakout character. Absolutely loved the flashback episode, especially the rock throwing because it sorta showed this show's ethos of being very realistic - Maura may have a legitimate reason for it but she's sort of a vindictive rear end in a top hat and clearly always has been. I love that it doesn't try and make her perfect or saintly in any way. Ali's story was fairly slight this year (she slowly gets more annoyed at Leslie, and enjoys some nitrous trips, the end), but everyone else's stories made up for it. I like how the magic realism stuff is getting slightly more prevalent instead of just being used for "big" moments. I think maybe some of the scripts could have done with another draft, though. There were some clunky lines. Possibly as a result of this season taking less time to make?

• Locked thread