Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Hanging up on the Council is the best part of a Renegade run. They even start to point out you're just calling them to hang up mid-call.

Joker can comment on your asshattery in later games too. Warnings for ME3 videos if you care:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SOshFIUeos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YAQ5XH7kcg

It's been a few years since I've played ME so my memory may not be 100% but I'm pretty sure those conversations don't just happen automatically. I think they're variables saved all the way from ME1 and used by Bioware 5 years later in ME3 because I don't recall it happening in my Paragon trilogy run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIfx32iAjzU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

monster on a stick posted:

You get that with Kaidan too. Plus Lift.

Tali isn't literally made of cardboard though. And also not doomed to always get left behind in a nuclear blast. :fry:

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

IIRC originally guns in ME2 were going to cool down over time like ME1 but you'd also have the reload option to lose the clip in exchange for more dakka right now if you really needed it ASAP. That would've been a great idea and I'm sad they dropped it.

Of course the reloads only being needed as heat sinks raises the question of where the gun gets its reactant energy from to accelerate thousands of shots off a block of metal. You're totalling millions of joules of delivered kinetic energy without any replacement. If the eezo cores powering the guns are that compact and energy-dense why wouldn't you just shave off bits of that to fire at your enemy and make every machine gun a machine grenade launcher? :black101: But without completely breaking game balance, Bioware did an above-average job of rationalizing something that wasn't boring old firearms (caseless or not) or boring old lasers/phasers/blasters in their fictional universe.

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 11, 2016

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

I always felt like the varren were the not-orcs.

Kurieg posted:

Eezo doesn't generate electricity, what Eezo does is manipulate mass.

Argh, I complete forgot. :eng99: Haven't played in a few years.

Kurieg posted:

According to the codex you basically just shove a hunk of metal in the grip before the mission, and that's enough to last you because you're really just hurling slivers of material at a small enough fraction of C that you aren't causing a nuclear explosion hitting the atoms in the air, or driving your stock through your shoulder with every trigger pull.

Not even before a mission, it's more like you change the ammo block every once in a while as a part of maintenance. Feels like it's treated more like replacing a worn part instead of just reloading. Wrex once fought a battle over a few days until he finally does deplete his gun. He had to pick up an enemy weapon since apparently switching ammo is more involved than changing a heat sink.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Krogan are obviously Klingons, right down to the occasional cunning warrior-philosophers like Wrex et al. They'd wedgie you D&D nerds on the spot. :colbert:

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Psion posted:

And then it doesn't mean anything because the Reapers devastate the Batarians immediately anyway.

If a subway train is about to hit five men and you divert it to hit only one man on another track, is it really murder if that man was about to die in a cave-in anyway? :smug::boom:

Also I've never played the Leviathan DLC but it sounds like it has lots of interesting lore. Is it worth trying when I replay the trilogy someday (never)?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Wait, so did you peace out from Noveria before Peak 15 for Bring Down the Sky and the sidequests? My RPG-specific OCD compelled me to finish a planet once I landed on it.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Maybe we'll see a Batarian squadmate in Andromeda finally. We had to go to another galaxy to give them a shot. :smug:

Almost completely unrelatedly, hearing that ME4 will take place "a long time" after the O.G. trilogy makes me hope it's 500+ years afterwards so we can meet older versions of Liara or other asari who might vaguely reference past events. The ME4 PC might not be in on their references but I'd appreciate it just as some continuity that it's happening in the same universe, ultimately. Of course a main character like Liara just appearing might not track well if she died in someone's campaign and having people import saves from another console generation is unrealistic even if Bioware can pull it off on the technical side. Plenty of ME players probably have put their 360's and PS3's in the trash already.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Hm, now that you've got me thinking of the endings and how they can drastically change things about the Reapers. The inclusion/exclusion of those details would still be notable either way even millenia afterwards. I wonder how they'll work out any potential reverse-engineering of Reaper tech (or hell, how our choices affected the mass relays themselves and the Milky Way societies that depend on it) without transferred save data. The Reaper tech idea is making me wonder what our hero ship for ME4 will look like or how it'll work. And speaking of getting to Andromeda in the first place, there's only one kind of ship in ME that's confirmed to fly in intergalactic space. Especially interesting in terms of getting around since there may not be any relays in Andromeda.

Trying to be vague here since I know a poster said they were mostly unspoiled and wanted to follow the LP.

Of course they may just try their damnedest to gloss over the ME3 endings and associated poo poo storm. :v:

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jan 24, 2016

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

We definitely need an MLG sniper montage after OP finishes ME1.

Poil posted:

And in Andromeda there will be these ancient machines known as the Harvesters that... :v:

whowhatwhere posted:

It ends with "There's always a ship, there's always a Commander, there's always a galaxy..."

All of this has happened before and all of it will happen again. :awesomelon:

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

whowhatwhere posted:

Also hopefully we won't have another Shepard and they'll go the Dragon Age route with new player characters each game.

We probably will. It's good for ME to have a recurring main character for a few games IMHO, let DA do it's own thing, it's a different series.

hard counter posted:

I think that was a flavor shot for direction. One of the complaints against ME2 was that, in terms of contribution to plot, the game was a wet fart when it came to addressing the overarching reaper threat. You could go ME1 to ME3 and barely miss anything since the ME2 conflict was limited to the collectors (as pawns of the reapers) and was resolved flat. A shot of Shepard looking at a reaper dataslate and then a shot of a reaper hoard on the fringes of the galaxy sets the direction for the next game that, yes, this one will be about actual reapers.

Maybe ME2 didn't work in the Reaper story but it was a very character-driven game story and that I loved. Like, there's no reason for most of the game you couldn't go straight to the end dungeon and technically win and accomplish all your objectives but you held off because the individual stories and missions were so interesting and you wanted to help these people. And that was totally intentional on Bioware's part. So I'm hoping ME4 (through 6?) sticks with "we're exploring and colonizing a new galaxy" and gives you interesting stories and maybe a specific overarching objective each game but keeps it pretty episodic past the general "we're colonists" mission.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

God drat Marina Sirtis phoned this poo poo in. "I will not betray him." :geno:

So, fun fact: Sirtis probably built up a nice nest egg for herself doing SF acting over the years and I'm sure she's happy for that. But for Sirtis sci-fi stuff isn't automatically anything more than a job (nothing wrong with that, everyone has different tastes) and like any reasonable person she generally finds nerds intolerable.

A friend of mine helps run a medium-sized con on the east coast and they deliberated about an opportunity to bring Sirtis in one year but eventually decided against it. Reason being, she requires personal security at con's expense at all times because she has a list of movies she's done that she doesn't like, and if an attendee asks her about any of them, she walks but still gets her entire fee. :v:

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Only the higher-ups at the con saw the list but I was told Death Wish 3 was on there because she got her boobs out during a rape scene. This was when she was a struggling actress before TNG so she took whatever jobs. Apparently the balding ponytail types asked her to sign their DVD cases of DW3 with unusual regularity. :stonk:

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

monster on a stick posted:

Kaidan and Liara, most kills gets to be your waifu.

This but you should lead them both on and tell them why not both when they ask you to choose because Ash gets super salty :v:

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Every video I am still blown away by how much vendor trash I tolerated. I know some people hated the combat revamp in the sequels but it was better than this.

Anyway, since Kaidan is totally fine staring at geth while Liara steals all his kills I was reminded that this abomination still exists in the SA databanks! :liara:

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Uhhh hey guys? I get the feeling that something's not quite right with these colonists.

Anyway enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye6yNLsdUCE

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

My Q-Face posted:

Ah, I must have missed him then. Can you talk to him afterwards?

You should know that I instinctively read all of your posts in John DeLancie's voice. And I can't decide if I hate it or love it.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

DukeofCA posted:

I got the impression the Thorian would've been insulted at the idea of "flesh" taking care of it. It had a major god complex. Thing was basically an organic Reaper, long before anyone had ever heard of Leviathan.

"A thousand feelers appraise you as meat, good only to dig or decompose."

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Aces High posted:

Yet we cure indoctrination almost every chance we get in the trilogy :rolleyes:

I mean, if we are counting forcing your enemy to commit suicide because they see the error of their ways

What if they just kinda opt into suicide because ehhhh whatever? Fai Dan could've been indoctrinated by the Reapers the whole time!

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

I vote for a fast forward music video of lunar combat with a side of normal speed cutscenes and dialogue.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Prothean communications tech seems remarkably lovely, all things considered. We had a run-in with a beacon that forced the user to re-live the first-person experience of a Prothean being torn apart and stitched back together into a Collector. I'm not sure whether that's more or less jarring than being forced to re-live the first-person experience of being a caveman for several loving months, however.

Is there even any way for the user accessing one of those "recordings" to pause partway through? Doesn't sound like it. God.

The fact that it works at all after a galaxy-wide war that wasn't exactly light on collateral damage plus 50,000 years of entropy is impressive.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

uh, at the rate (of hilarity) that things are going, take Kaidan always :v:

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Yep, it's gonna be a soft reboot of the series because that's too many variables to account for. The ships were probably sent out before the end as a backup plan in case the Reapers won. And who wants to be reminded of/anywhere near the ME3 ending controversy?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

It always bothered me that Wrex wasn't immediately tackled by everybody for randomly plinking away... at a base that they were trying to keep secret. Not like the sound of gunshots travel or anything.

whowhatwhere posted:

You get a Green ending where you die but Organic life and AIs merge together somehow and you can totally half-robot bone in the half-robot meadows overlooked by half-robot birds! This totally resolves every problem between organic and synthetic life!

e: and also was unable to be thought up by godlike beings over possibly millions of years, requiring a human to come up with because only we have the flexibility to see things in a new way!

An ending so far out there it qualifies as pure magic by the standards of a loving space opera. I'm kinda sad that Bioware didn't go with a gently caress YOU, YOU'RE INDOCTRINATED twist to offset the lack of endgame choice. The carebear/shipper tears would've been so delicious too!

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Agreed, they kinda neglected Tali storywise in the first game. It got better later on with the personal quests in 2 and the huge story element that the Quarian-Geth war was in 3.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

Sovereign has fingers and the whole final battle could have been avoided if it just flew overhead, reached down and went squish on Shepard.

Orbital bombardment is the bane of space opera. The Dominion War would've been over in one episode of Deep Space 9 after the Founders had Jem'Hadar cruisers kamikaze every major Federation world at Warp 9.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Uh, we all know the Asari started doing that centuries ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

The whole series goes out of the way to make the point that human-Asari relationships are awkward. We're all tweenage schoolchildren compared to a matriarch like Benezia and any Asari falling in love with a human has to accept that they're going to be without them for most of their life.

MA-Horus posted:

Oooh I hope the Goon-made Mass Effect colouring book is part of the next LP!

I gave some of the sheets to my students when I was teaching ESL and got some loving hilarious "Make your own Hero!" sheets. Wish I had kept them.

http://www.masseffectsaves.com/MESS/ME2ColoringBook.pdf

Looking forward to 2Mass2Effect!

• Locked thread