Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

If you're going to be a racist, you might as well be a space racist where the differences between species are real.

Humanity First

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

MA-Horus posted:

my god, it makes perfect sense.

Trump is TIM.

the last election cycle used that one

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

IIRC Meer was a bit more jekyll and hyde with his paragon/renegade divide whereas femshep sounds more even - like both line sets could easily be coming from the same woman. For that reason Meer vs Hale comes down to personal preference in roleplaying style imho since it's not a question of incompetent vs competent delivery to me.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Alexeythegreat posted:

And I'm just sitting here, having consistently good results with the ME1 character creator

You can get great results if you're just screwing around with the system and not trying to make someone specific. There's an old site made by a goon iirc, the mass effect face database, that has a bunch of great ones w/codes.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

tribbledirigible posted:

All the Javik conversations were great. It's hard to impress someone who's seen what frogs/apes/jellyfish you came from.

Javik/Protheans probably did not see the actual frogs/apes the sentient species came from since they were around as recently as 50,000 years ago. They would have probably seen all the different species at their most primitive state though - at the time humanity was anatomically modern but probably did not have a developed language (possibly implies a subtle biological change hadn't occurred yet) and essentially lived/acted no better than the other apes near as we can tell, barring uprightness and tool use.

That first impression probably makes it worse honestly, salarians were apparently so primitive protheans didn't have moral objections about consuming them as food.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Judge Tesla posted:

Then again, wouldn't humanity or one of the other races have done the same?

It's a lot easier to roll a Yoomanity First play through the second time around for sure, especially after realizing that every other species has reveled in petty selfishness at some point, why not us h. sapiens too?

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Judge Tesla posted:

The reason the Asari have the best technology is all because the Protheans hand picked them to lead the next cycle and gave them a fully functional beacon stuffed with technology that would help them prepare the Galaxy for the Reapers return, but instead they sat on the bulk of this information and used it only to better themselves, as mentioned earlier, Javik is very, very displeased when he finds this out.

The mass effect political universe is not one where nice people thrive. I was kind of alarmed when I heard the Voluses (Voli?) had been part of the galactic community for thousands of years and have been an active participant in a lot of important galactic work, like drafting universal monetary agreements, maintaining the immense network of information needed for ease of exchange across a galaxy and actually running the trade routes/posts, remembering that mass relay locations can form severe shipping bottlenecks. Voli are non-violent by nature and prefer to bargain or sanction their way out of disagreements. They have remained a client of Turians for all that time and are just an associate species. Humans show up, bloody a few noses then start stepping on some toes and they're on pace to join the council within a century.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

My Q-Face posted:

They were studying the idea, and they had a Yahg there, but they were considering the unintended consequences of uplifting the Krogan. I'm pretty sure they were against the idea, they were just watching them.

If the reaper conflict escalated into absolute war, salarians would most definitely uplift the Yahg to meet the threat. The drawback of being a short-lived, metabolically fast species is that tomorrow's consequences seem so much more distant to you :v:

e: PS there seems to an issue with the video listing at the bottom of the OP

hard counter fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 19, 2015

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

... what if we left Liara for as late as possible :getin:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Transmogrifier posted:

"If the missions on Feros, Noveria, and Virmire are completed before rescuing Liara, a romance between her and Shepard becomes impossible due to the hectic pacing of subsequent events preventing meaningful interactions with each other."

A whirlwind romance of numb delirium and fevered revelation sounds about right for akuze Shepard but I will defer to the greater good here.

We should bring Wrex out as much as possible though.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

MA-Horus posted:

The only person I wish I could not recruit out of the 3 games is Jacob

Which is why he was force recruited.

Considering ME2 had like 12 goddamn squadmates imho it's totally fine that one of them was a pure straight edge, simple and true. While I think Jacob and Miranda are fine as is, if bioware swapped up their genders I think their romances would've been more broadly appealing. Ms. Taylor being an exceptionally mellow lady who likes exercise, guns, beers and getting loud on the citadel would've been alright. Mr. Lawson having a creepy mom whose idea of a perfect son was a cross between Fabio and a Chippendale's dancer might've sold people on the inversion alone (especially if the camera still gravitated toward Mr. Lawson's manbutt and/or trouser bulge the way it did to Miranda's T&A).

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Kurieg posted:

He's kind of straight laced and boring, but his loyalty quest is one of the darker moments of the entire trilogy.

Yeah for that reason he also happens to have one of the sharper tracks on the OST since it's meant to go along with that mission.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Aces High posted:

ME3 is nice to biotics and techies alike because you can blow poo poo up with combos. What really sucked was Tech Armour got nerfed to poo poo so you couldn't stand out in front of an Atlas and be all "hahaha your rockets do NOTHING"

ME3 was really nice to biotics and techies because they could pick a gun with infinite ammo, mod it up while taking nothing else and still be a firepower beast with the lowest ability cooldowns.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

SubponticatePoster posted:

DAI maps are loving huge for the most part. Like the entire playable area of DAO will fit inside the Hinterlands.

even the deep roads? :ohdear:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

AllisonByProxy posted:

That's a problem with pretty much every RPG.

It makes sense in 1&2. 2 especially since TIM did like 99.9% of the financial footwork for you re: acquiring a ship and personnel and sends small procurement funds after successful missions on top of sending guns & equipment if you bought the dlcs Miranda requisitions it. Even major ship retrofits like thanix cannon upgrades only cost raw resources.

In 3 it does get real silly though what with the reapers actually attacking and Shepard being the last explicit hope.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Night10194 posted:

Well, yes, I just also appreciate that the story is also about 'Yes we know these are the open world tactical operatives who can be good and evil and whose profession is being PCs. Now look at what a terrible idea they are.'

Saren was just taking an early stab at the synthesis ending

Cut her some slack

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

The ME universe itself is drat good especially in terms of world building but the plotting proper across the trilogy was done off the cuff and it did not come off the better for it.

IMHO me2 was the tightest overall package with its narrow focus on Shepard's crew/companions and its slightly smaller scope narrative but even it still had issues stemming from a lack of forward planning going in and coming out.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

whowhatwhere posted:

Also you'd think that if the DA folks knew how things were gonna pan out they'd put more work into, say, DA2's plot not being a pile of bad disconnected vignettes.

DA2 was an EA mandated rushjob. This LP made me go to youtube and check out the ME3 DLCs I didn't bother with (citadel turned out to be pretty good actually) and along the way I found a bunch of links to cut DA2 content. Cassandra and Varric hashed out things like the big one year gap early in the game, why Varric knew so much about Hawke's lovelife, why there were so many bandits/blood mages in the streets, etc and other important background material (e.g. Hawke/Bethany was recently nearly outed for apostasy just prior to act 1 and were now under pressure). Whether DA2 could actually have been better is always debatable of course but it never really had a chance under the schedule they were given.

monster on a stick posted:

Zaeed is worth it just for the scenes with him and Garrus booby-trapping the apartment in Citadel.

Zaeed really shined in the citadel between that and hitting on samara/femme shepard poorly. It's weird the mass effect team spent the majority of a game building up shepard's cast (both in terms of acquisition and character development) only to essentially drop next to all of them the next one over.

whowhatwhere posted:

Even Morinth?

You get exactly what you deserve if you pick her at the end :buddy:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Don't count ME3 out entirely. It had the best set-pieces outside of LoTSB, probably had the cleanest gameplay overall and SP's rolling vanguard. The plot perhaps misses a couple beats here & there badly but the mechanics are solid.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Thane in the vents will forever remain the best miscalculation.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Elevate me

We descend into a majestic Prothean ruin and observe the pinnacle of people moving technology. In other words we go into a grubby pit and ride elevators. Inside we find Benezia's daughter, Liara and she's being hunted by Saren's goons.

In ME1 Liara is sort of the equivalent of a nerdy girl. She's naive, shy, and unlike all those other Asari she dresses sensibly. I like Liara but she's not portrayed very well in ME1. By the time 2 rolls around she's capable, confident, and pretty :black101: She also finds a sense of humor somewhere. At the beginning of ME3 she casually executes a couple of Cerberus dudes who were chasing her like it's nothing. In 1 however, the "barely more than a child" comment is sort of gross and creepy (they could have said "barely considered an adult" and sounded less :pedo: ) and they kind of go out of their way to emphasize how Liara is pure and virginal unlike those slutty Asari we've been running into. Also her idle animation is this :stare: thing where she sensually runs her hand down her chest. WTF Bioware.

Wrex is right that in combat her biotics come in handy. She's got singularity, which in 1 results in hilarious clusterfucks because the objects all have their own physics. Nothing like levitating an entire room of crates into the ceiling and then flinging them around. Give her a good pistol and decent armor with cooldown reduction; you won't be disappointed.

Liara is rather mature for her age, most asari at that point in their lives are thrill-seeking mercenaries and/or strippers. Being childish means something different to the long-lived asari I guess. At some point you realize that being an adult means more than just deciding you can live a life of wanton pleasure you can eat icecream every meal just because you make your own decisions now.

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Mass Effect 3's plot was all over the place, but made moves in the right direction a lot of the time. What really pulled me into the game was the crushing hopelessness, of watching the galaxy losing more to the Reapers day by day. You have your victories, and those victories are dramatic enough to feel like they might mean something in the war, up until the Reapers make their next move.

The game kept that rhythm right up until the ending, which shat itself by being a sudden tonal shift and a hollow attempt at resolving everything in a semi-palatable manner. I like to think that the canonical ending is the one where the Crucible is damaged, blows up when activated, and almost completely annihilates galactic civilization, setting the stage for a new war against the yahg.

The odd thing sbout ME3 is that 40-95% of it is pretty good - that's what makes it all the more frustrating. The percentage varies based on your tolerance of Kai Leng, phantom ghost boy sequences, the convenient discovery of the crucible plans the moment it was needed (right next door to earth no less), stupid sexy EDI, the changes to Cerberus and of course the ending, which might include the entire final sequence. Pretty much anything that was uniquely introduced in ME3 that's not Javik or Thessia. If you can at least tolerate those things you might see how they're thematically appropriate and contribute to the whole but that might be asking a lot of someone. The genophage, the Quarian-Geth conflict, etc did play out satisfactorily at minimum for most on the one hand but the other those were issues brought in from other games. Either way I can appreciate the inverse correlation of writing & game-play vs time in this trilogy.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Combat in 3 is a delight on any class.

I agree, mostly. Pure biotics and techies get a ton of fun abilities and ability combos to work in with gunplay while the mixed classes range from having the perfect blend of abilities & survive-ability to living fast and making enemies die harder. I do think soldiers get the raw end of the deal by 3 though since any class can use any weapon, weight affects ability cooldowns and infinite ammo guns exist. They're still fun but they didn't quite keep pace with the other classes in the way those uniquely branched out and received improvements. Maybe soldiers should have had exclusive access to non-plot heavy weapon load-outs? Alternatively if you're picking the straight fps class you're probably doing that because you love that poo poo so maybe I shouldn't be so hard on them.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Judge Tesla posted:

Tali doesn't really have anything amazing to say, she's pretty much a walking Encyclopedia for Quarian culture in ME 1, expect to hear the word "Pilgrimage" a lot if you do chat to her.

Too bad Sten was qunari and not quarian.

"So, tell us about your pilgrimage."
"no."

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Kurieg posted:

That would mean there's also an Iron Bull quarian. And that would be amazing.

The hedonistic pansexual Iron Bosh would just be sick all the time :ohdear:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

My Q-Face posted:

The worst part of that was that snipers could kill the Mako.

in one shot? :stare:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

I never really got how batarians were written in the Mass Effect games until I realized that they were space orcs. They have all the elements of being the chaff race that you're not supposed to feel bad about massacring in droves, which is important because oh boy some of the DLC of Mass Effect 2.

Krogans could also be considered space orks in a sense, especially if it wasn't for dudes like wrex, grunt or eve/bakara.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

My Q-Face posted:

I didn't have arrival for my first full playthrough, so there was that reference at the beginning of three to "someone" killing off millions of Batarians by hurling an asteroid into a relay for reasons. Then on my replay, after doing arrival I was a little disturbed to find out that "someone" was me.

If you don't do arrival it says an elite alliance team did it or some such and you get negative war assets due to their noble sacrifice.

Never forget those dudes who made the galaxy a better place. :911:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Ashley raises a number of excellent points

10/10 would not virmire again

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

well this is a line between acknowledging the galaxy is run by selfish assholes so being one is just par of the course

and believing things like thresher maw acid + human blood = science

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Thessia must've had really forgiving predators if someone could spend a whole century being a useless baby

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

I bet there are asari that have spent whole centuries vegetating infront of a screen leveling their WoW Galaxy of Fantasy characters.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Aces High posted:

aren't the krogan a long lived species as well? At least that's the impression that bartender gives in ME2

Theoretically yes but considering Wrex's commentary last video, not in practice.

You can think of them like those theoretically extremely long-lived jellyfish that have robust body/DNA repair mechanisms so they barely age, if at all. Scientists like to imagine there's the one out there that's millennias and millennias old even though typical members of the species die before ten since nature has absolutely no chill and is always looking to kill a motherfucker. Tuchanka likewise has no chill and due its radioactivity and extreme predators krogans became tanks. Asari more closely follow the paradigm that longer lived = longer maturation especially since centenarians are still babbies over there.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Alright it's worth pointing out that was actually some fine combat especially the sniper rifling.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Once I get enough points in to stop the sway I'll treat you to some 300yd headshots :zaeed:

those MP hours are showing, this could even be a ~*~skilled~*~ playthrough

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Ze Pollack posted:

The problem is that Bioware set themselves up to fail: you need to find a way to reconcile something the size of Kansas City saying "you exist because we allow it; you will end because we command it" with the narrative necessity that eventually you're gonna shoot one of them in the face. And there's really no elegant way to do that.

See I was thinking about that the other week. If Bioware actually planned ahead, the collector base at the tail end of ME2 would have been a great opportunity to snag plans for a crucible-like weapon in a much more elegant manner. One of the secondary Collector objectives could have been scouring the galaxy for prothean artifacts, beacons and the like and inside the base you could have found a whole stockpile of them, a thorough scan of which could have revealed tangible, if still theoretical, plans for anti-reaper weaponry that the protheans developed when it was too late that the Collectors were trying to destroy evidence of. Or just war analysis data wherein protheans discovered a potential Achilles heel to smite these supposedly neigh-invincible cuttlefish. Or some other macguffin ultimately found where the reapers didn't expect penetration. Something like that would have been far more elegant than pushing all that onto a discovery on mars found moments after the beginning the reaper invasion-proper at the start of ME3.

It also would have given far more credibility to the question do we keep the collector base? other than TIM noticing humans + liquidation =:pcgaming: dark science :pcgaming:

hard counter fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 25, 2016

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

I think that was a flavor shot for direction. One of the complaints against ME2 was that, in terms of contribution to plot, the game was a wet fart when it came to addressing the overarching reaper threat. You could go ME1 to ME3 and barely miss anything since the ME2 conflict was limited to the collectors (as pawns of the reapers) and was resolved flat. A shot of Shepard looking at a reaper dataslate and then a shot of a reaper hoard on the fringes of the galaxy sets the direction for the next game that, yes, this one will be about actual reapers.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

DeusExMachinima posted:

Maybe ME2 didn't work in the Reaper story but it was a very character-driven game story and that I loved.

I agree with you 100% and I think ME2 was the series sweet spot. If someone wants to make a critique of it though, I could understand addressing its main plot as it (barely, if at all) contributes to the series as a whole. Even most its the characters went underused in ME3 with cheap knock-offs filling in just as well.

e: that headshot distance :stare:

hard counter fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jan 25, 2016

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Thane does end up being the most extraneous cast member of ME2.

Everyone potentially has something to do (Garrus specifically is good at many things) during the suicide section except Thane and Moridin. Moridin does, however, develop the countermeasures for the horizon mission.

Regalingualius posted:

What happens if you bring him on his own recruitment mission?

okay maybe he doesn't have that much dialogue

hard counter fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 26, 2016

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

iirc the rachni in 3 are some kind of genetically re-engineered specimen if you went with genocide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

DeusExMachinima posted:

But for Sirtis sci-fi stuff isn't automatically anything more than a job (nothing wrong with that, everyone has different tastes) and like any reasonable person she generally finds nerds intolerable.

That's ultimately true of most actors since, unlike maybe the director/writer/etc, whatever project they're currently signed on to is unlikely to be a major work of passion for them - even if that project pans out and becomes unusually successful. The busier sort of actor that chains project after project might even forget everything the day after filming is done, not unlike a student that crammed overnight for a test and managed to not forget during the test.

• Locked thread