Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead
I like to think his 2nd best was Demolition Man. I won't inflict operation dumbo drop on myself, even though I love Danny Glover.
Anyways The Ref, an example of perfect casting. Mostly. The focus is Dennis Leary being himself while Judy Davis and Kevin Spacey play a dysfunctional rich married couple pretty well.
I'm not sure if this is a christmas movie or a sly anti christmas movie. Director Ted Demme's other notable works are Blow, Homicide: Life on the streets and Yo! MTV Raps.
JK Simmons pops up to do nothing much. Just says hi.

If you grew up in the 90s and hated your family it's mildly comforting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3370263

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
:agreed:, The Ref is great and definitely Dennis Leary's best.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
This is also a good time to be posting about it because it's a fantastic Christmas film for people who hate their families. It's also very funny.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Dennis Learys best is and will always be Judgment Night

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

citing this movie as Denis Leary's best is selling it short since Denis Leary sucks but this movie is really good.

my preferred way of selling it is "like American Beauty, but good."

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead
I think Leary works as an angry anti-authority rogue or angry blue collar guy or angry, loudly Boston Irish firefighter. I can't buy him as a cop or assassin or soldier. Just doesn't fit him. For me, his late 80s early 90s stand up appearances are deffinitive Leary. He can't stretch his acting ability beyond that.
I want to check out Judgement Night now. There's a mild fear it will be like suicide kings, but that rear end in a top hat from big bang theory won't be around making GBS threads things up with a bad jerry lewis impression.

Is Dumbo Drop as painful as i think it is?

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
I thought it was funny that Leary's role in Demolition Man was to grunt out five minutes of the two-year old standup comedy routine he ripped off from Bill Hicks in the first place

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tujague posted:

I thought it was funny that Leary's role in Demolition Man was to grunt out five minutes of the two-year old standup comedy routine he ripped off from Bill Hicks in the first place

people were just casting him to do that for a while, it was weird. there's a deleted scene from Natural Born Killers that's the same thing.

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead
The Beauty of the Ref is that Leary gets just enough time to do his thing and there's a good cast to bounce it off. Not just Spacey and Davis but also a house full of soft brained rich suburbanites.
The point of the thread is that Leary is a limited actor, but in the right place and time he can shine. I'm nostalgic for the 80s and 90s and the people who caught my attention then, so there's my focus.
Think of Andrew Dice Clay, or Jean Cleaude Van Damme, or a whole host of comedians or martial artists turned actors. Hollywood tries to make headliners out of them, like with everyone, but it's a lost cause. We can still enjoy what talent they had (arguable in some cases i know) rather than be bitter about who may have copied what from whom.
Stand up has it's waves and styles and cliques like any other art form. So there isn't just bill hicks in Leary's performances. There's Sam Kinison an Dice-Clay and Bill Hicks and probably a legion of lesser known comics active in the late 80s New York scene.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
This movie, Rare Exports and Bad Santa make up my must-watch Christmas movies.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
As good as Denis Leary's is in The Ref, Kevin Spacey loving kills it.

quote:

You know what I'm going to get you next Christmas, Mom? A big wooden cross, so that every time you feel unappreciated for your sacrifices, you can climb on up and nail yourself to it.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I just watched this on Monday and it really is the prefect hate your family Christmas movie.

Kevin Spacey basically plays Michel Douglas's character in Falling Down without the murder spree.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

rejutka posted:

This movie, Rare Exports and Bad Santa make up my must-watch Christmas movies.

Never heard of Rare Exports before, but read up on it and sounds great! The dvd includes the precursor shorts. Is there a recommended viewing order? Should I watch them before watching the movie or will they spoil it? Should I even watch them at all?

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Sir Nose posted:

Never heard of Rare Exports before, but read up on it and sounds great! The dvd includes the precursor shorts. Is there a recommended viewing order? Should I watch them before watching the movie or will they spoil it? Should I even watch them at all?

It's three movies over Christmas. Sort yourself out.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

I don't think you understood my question. I'm asking about the three Rare Export movies-- the full length one and the two shorts. How do they relate to each other?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Millions of Crows posted:

Is Dumbo Drop as painful as i think it is?
Probably though I remember watching it all the time as a kid and loving it

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Millions of Crows posted:

For me, his late 80s early 90s stand up appearances are deffinitive Leary.

Too bad Bill Hicks did it first.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Timby posted:

Too bad Bill Hicks did it first.

Too bad Bill Hicks sucks.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Armyman25 posted:

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
i always thought hicks had a broader scope and talked about the world more than himself, while dennis leary bitched about people not wanting him to be a selfish machine with unhealthy habits. Similiar act but one was about calling out other people and hypocrisy and the other was about burning yourself down and hating everyone trying to put you out.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Armyman25 posted:

Hey, that's not fair.

Watching him become a petulant manbaby and break down on stage when he got heckled that once was really funny.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Armyman25 posted:

I'm glad we as humanity got to keep Leary instead of Hicks

glad glad glad glad glad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Adlai Stevenson posted: