Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
Wondering how everyone goes about including their pets in the holidays, and thought it might be interesting to hear what kind of stuff people might do. I don't have any pets atm, but I used to have a turtle as a kid, and we had a family dog, as well. I don't remember the dog all that well, but I'm guessing we made extra sure that she would have a good day, as well; a nice long walk, a few extra treats, stuff like that. As for the turtles; turtles are extremely stupid and you can't make them appreciate the holidays, which goes for all cold-blooded animals, which is why atheists and agnostics are drawn towards cold-blooded pets.

Anyway, was hoping to hear about some funny and cute things that people like to do in order to involve their pets in various holidays, celebrations and anniversaries, including the birth-, naming- or adoption day of your pet. I know that one goon had his cats be ring-bearers at his wedding, but it doesn't have to be wild stuff like that. If ANYONE has a horse and isn't adverse to putting a christmas hat on it, then I would very much like to see this. Not having had pets for a while now, the only thing I can really think of is a couple I know who gave their corgi a treat wrapped in xmax wrapping paper, which then obviously made him want to open up all the presents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Reese got a sweater as an early Xmas present. Yes, that is a 75 lb dog in a candy cane sweater

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
that's cute. Good Dog :) I like your decor, as well.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Santa Claws comes every year for our animals, and they get spoiled just like we did as kids. Its quite funny...the older our cats get, the more they realize that there are good things in the stocking, and have no qualms about jumping in to help pull goodies out.

They have their own decorated stocking that is hung up with ours, (theirs has a decorated cats paw at the bottom of the sock). We will have another one next year as well for our little birds that we are getting in the summer. When we get it out on Christmas Eve, they run to take a look at it to see what is inside, and are usually a bit sad when they see nothing is in it yet. In the morning we take it off the high hook it is on, and take it in to the bedroom and call the kitties in. They all come running and are happy to pull all the toys and catnips they can out of the sock.

In my family, we have always had Christmas Crab Feasts on Christmas Eve. I brought that tradition over when we got married, and the cats love it :) I get 2 whole crabs from the market, and some fresh shrimp, oysters, calamari, and clams. The clams are steamed with a white wine broth, while the shrimps are steamed. The calamari is sauteed, the oysters are shucked and eaten raw, while the crab is cracked and shelled and eaten with butter. The cats LOVE Christmas Eve Dinner...they all get a clam or two, a litte bite of calamari, a chopped up shrimp each (not a big one) and a little portion of fresh cracked crab as a snack while we eat our dinner. Then on Christmas Day, we usually have ham and veggies....and again, everyone gets a little bit of ham torn up and heated, a tiny bit of mashed veggies, plus a little bit of shrimp/crab from the night before saved for them, and a little bit of salad leaves. They LOVE greens in this house :) For dessert they get a tiny bit each of some real unsweetened whipped cream they I make for them.

For birthdays, everyone gets a birthday present and a special treat of their liking. For my late boys, they always got a few of the big shrimps to share with the others. ATM, Trader Joe's treats are the in thing, and that's what they have gotten this year.

Yes, they are spoiled, but they never ask for much....and between my husband and I, we tend to make sure they have a fantastic holiday. The cats don't complain! And next year we will be adding conures...so they will be spoiled as well for the holidays I am sure.

Disco Salmon fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 15, 2015

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

Hope you got my PM, Disco Salmon.

Anyway, I'm hoping to see more people sharing their pet-related Christmas traditions. I'm sure that pretty much everyone must do something, even if it is just being more inclined towards giving an extra treat, or something small like that. It can seem weird to people who have never had pets, or interacted with animals much, but pets become part of the family, and they become part of family traditions, too. Part of why sharing those traditions might be interesting and fun is, I think, because personalized family traditions, whether pets are involved or not, can be so heavily personalized or family-centric that they seem really weird & oddball to everyone else, but are still cute & fun, as well.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Disco Salmon posted:

Santa Claws comes every year for our animals, and they get spoiled just like we did as kids. Its quite funny...the older our cats get, the more they realize that there are good things in the stocking, and have no qualms about jumping in to help pull goodies out.

They have their own decorated stocking that is hung up with ours, (theirs has a decorated cats paw at the bottom of the sock). We will have another one next year as well for our little birds that we are getting in the summer. When we get it out on Christmas Eve, they run to take a look at it to see what is inside, and are usually a bit sad when they see nothing is in it yet. In the morning we take it off the high hook it is on, and take it in to the bedroom and call the kitties in. They all come running and are happy to pull all the toys and catnips they can out of the sock.

In my family, we have always had Christmas Crab Feasts on Christmas Eve. I brought that tradition over when we got married, and the cats love it :) I get 2 whole crabs from the market, and some fresh shrimp, oysters, calamari, and clams. The clams are steamed with a white wine broth, while the shrimps are steamed. The calamari is sauteed, the oysters are shucked and eaten raw, while the crab is cracked and shelled and eaten with butter. The cats LOVE Christmas Eve Dinner...they all get a clam or two, a litte bite of calamari, a chopped up shrimp each (not a big one) and a little portion of fresh cracked crab as a snack while we eat our dinner. Then on Christmas Day, we usually have ham and veggies....and again, everyone gets a little bit of ham torn up and heated, a tiny bit of mashed veggies, plus a little bit of shrimp/crab from the night before saved for them, and a little bit of salad leaves. They LOVE greens in this house :) For dessert they get a tiny bit each of some real unsweetened whipped cream they I make for them.

For birthdays, everyone gets a birthday present and a special treat of their liking. For my late boys, they always got a few of the big shrimps to share with the others. ATM, Trader Joe's treats are the in thing, and that's what they have gotten this year.

Yes, they are spoiled, but they never ask for much....and between my husband and I, we tend to make sure they have a fantastic holiday. The cats don't complain! And next year we will be adding conures...so they will be spoiled as well for the holidays I am sure.

This is all absolutely adorable :kimchi:

I am not a big Christmas/winter holidays person in general (humbug!) but I usually give my bird a few special treats he doesn't normally get (a piece of corn chip, a sip of ginger ale, stuff like that) throughout the day. I like to get him a new playgym around this time of year, too, since he's spent the last year chewing his to pieces.

As an apology for not having a better Christmas story, GoF, I am going to go eat something and post in your other thread.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
My parents' idiot cats have no idea how spoiled they are. This year they're getting a drinking fountain, a variety pack of dental treats, and two more of those heat reflector cushions. We already have two but there are three cats so obviously . . . They also have stockings with the usual super cheap mice, mylar balls, and catnip.

One of the cats is bright enough to know what's up, so she usually goes after a stocking at 4 am and wakes my mom up by knocking everything down and shredding it across the living room.

Another one is a ragdoll and I'm really trying to resist buying him a festive plaid bowtie.

e: and on Christmas Eve we have appetizers for dinner, and each cat gets a shrimp. I forgot about that but they definitely did not

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 19, 2015

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

My dog Lyra who I raised, and who now lives with my parents, always gets some toys and some kind of thing like a cow's shin bone or something. We wrap them up in wrapping paper but lightly and loosely, and she knows the drill, she uses her teeth and paws to slowly and methodically tear all of the paper off and she doesn't go for the gift till all the paper is gone. Then she holds the new item in her mouth and just parades it around the house for like half an hour, going around the whole first floor in circles visiting every person and showing it off over and over again :3:

alnilam fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Dec 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

Well I once put a red ribbon around Pongo's neck and he does not like a red ribbon. The next time I came at him with that ribbon you would have thought I was going to kick him. So no, he does not celebrate the season.

But he does get a treat on December 18 (because he was a Christmas present; really good one, too). He will take the treat. He will not take the treat if you have a red ribbon in your hand. We also celebrate his birthday, Oct. 23. But without hats.

He doesn't like a harness either. He will grudgingly put up with a bandanna.

Around this time of year we do usually have to do something special to make up for all the long walks he is not getting because it's too cold. (If he won't wear a ribbon, imagine how he feels about sweater and booties.) He does still get walks, just much shorter ones. He will also probably get a toy, but we don't do a real big Christmas, so he gets as much as anybody.

The most holiday-spoiled pet I ever knew was my uncle's cat. My uncle, who started out opposing this cat, quickly became a big fan, to the point where it became his cat. Every major feast, this cat got a whole Cornish game hen. For extra fun my uncle left it out for him on the kitchen counter so he could think he was stealing it. Or maybe, hunting it.

My cats just get some cat drugs.

• Locked thread