Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Hateful Eight is Quentin Tarantino's 8th film and revolves around bounty hunters in post-Civil War Wyoming.

Since it's a Tarantino film, of course it has a loving all-star cast, including:
  • Kurt Russell
  • Samuel L. Jackson
  • Jennifer Jason Leigh
  • Walton Goggins
  • Michael Madsen
  • Channing Tatum
  • Tim Roth
  • Zoe Bell
  • Bruce Dern

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_UI1GzaWv0

:siren: The Hateful Eight will be the first widely-released theatrical film shot in Ultra Panavision 70mm format since 1966. :siren:

Since this is the way the film was shot and the first release of this kind in almost 50 years, 70mm is going to be the way you'll want to experience the film if you can. 100 theaters across the US will start showing this in 70mm on Christmas Day for a 1-week roadshow.

The following markets will have 70mm screenings:

quote:

New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Dallas, San Francisco, Boston, Atlanta, Washington DC, Houston, Detroit, Phoenix, Seattle, Tampa, Minneapolis, Denver, Miami, Cleveland, Orlando, Sacramento, St. Louis, Portland, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, Baltimore, San Diego, Nashville, Kansas City, San Antonio, West Palm Beach, Birmingham, Las Vegas, Albuquerque, Oklahoma City, Austin, New Orleans, Providence, Knoxville, Santa Barbara, Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver.
To check showtimes, go to the film's official website or a third-party ticket buying site like Fandango if your theater supports it in case showtimes aren't displayed on the film's website.

Furthermore, the 70mm roadshow version of the film is an extended cut, running at 3 hours and 6 minutes and including an intermission.

Now, if you aren't able to catch the 70mm version, don't worry! The film releases everywhere on New Year's Day (January 1st). The release date was pushed up a week from the originally planned 1/8 date. However, the "regular" version of the film uses a different cut than the 70mm version, clocking in at 2 hours and 47 minutes.

So who's excited for this? Are you going to catch the 70mm version if it's playing near you, or if it isn't, are you going to take a road trip to go see it at the nearest 70mm-equipped theater? Do you have your ticket yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is gonna be real good. Gotta round up my posse and make a big thing of seeing this in 70mm.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

This is gonna be real good. Gotta round up my posse and make a big thing of seeing this in 70mm.

same

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
I hope the rumors of an intermission are true - as badly as I want to see this in 70mm, 3 hour movies are a beatdown.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Yeah, I was planning to road trip to Houston just to see this in 70mm because that was the closest city to me where it was supposed to be playing before the official theater list got released. Then I found out it's playing here in New Orleans. There's a 6pm showing on Christmas Eve here, so now I know how I'm spending Christmas Eve!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

JoeRules posted:

I hope the rumors of an intermission are true - as badly as I want to see this in 70mm, 3 hour movies are a beatdown.

Tarantino totally gets the concept of showmanship. Not only is The Hateful Eight shot in a large format process, it's being treated precisely as any big movie would decades ago.

If you went to see 2001 back in 1968, it was on a reserved seat basis, projected in 70mm with 6-track sound, with an overture, intermission, and exit music. No drinks or popcorn actually brought into the theater. And more likely than not, the only thing on the screen from start to finish would be the movie. The best part of an intermission is that while it seems like just a brief pause on home video, they really did stop everything for 15 minutes. People can go to the bathroom, get a drink or snack, or more likely go out to the lobby to smoke. The best part of this to a film was refreshing the viewer's mind. I think a lot of the criticism from modern viewers of films like 2001, It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World, or even The Sound of Music is that no one would have actually seen the film in one sitting. I went to see the 4K restored Lawrence of Arabia a few years ago and having that 15 minute intermission was amazing. You'd be surprised how much of a difference it makes just to get up to stretch your legs and relieve your bladder.

By the time the general release came by, you wouldn't be surprised to find it was cut down by 20 minutes, without an intermission, and forget 70mm stereo. You'd be lucky to not just get 35mm with a plain mono track.

There's two theaters in Georgia showing 70mm and I'm going to try to make it to the one in Atlanta. Hopefully this is a success because it would be nice for showmanship to make a return.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Found out about the 70mm showings a little late, so the seats are kinda poo poo, but I'm still super pumped, and the Alamo Drafthouse seems like the perfect place to watch a 3 hour movie with an intermission.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Egbert Souse posted:

Tarantino totally gets the concept of showmanship. Not only is The Hateful Eight shot in a large format process, it's being treated precisely as any big movie would decades ago.

If you went to see 2001 back in 1968, it was on a reserved seat basis, projected in 70mm with 6-track sound, with an overture, intermission, and exit music. No drinks or popcorn actually brought into the theater. And more likely than not, the only thing on the screen from start to finish would be the movie. The best part of an intermission is that while it seems like just a brief pause on home video, they really did stop everything for 15 minutes. People can go to the bathroom, get a drink or snack, or more likely go out to the lobby to smoke. The best part of this to a film was refreshing the viewer's mind. I think a lot of the criticism from modern viewers of films like 2001, It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World, or even The Sound of Music is that no one would have actually seen the film in one sitting. I went to see the 4K restored Lawrence of Arabia a few years ago and having that 15 minute intermission was amazing. You'd be surprised how much of a difference it makes just to get up to stretch your legs and relieve your bladder.

By the time the general release came by, you wouldn't be surprised to find it was cut down by 20 minutes, without an intermission, and forget 70mm stereo. You'd be lucky to not just get 35mm with a plain mono track.

There's two theaters in Georgia showing 70mm and I'm going to try to make it to the one in Atlanta. Hopefully this is a success because it would be nice for showmanship to make a return.
I'm not sure how accurate this is, but I just saw NOLA.com (the big local news site) posted an article about the roadshow coming here and it included this little tidbit:

quote:

New Orleans is one of just 44 markets to land the roadshow version, which -- harking to the roadshow tradition of the 1960s -- will include a musical overture before the film, a 12-minute intermission about an hour and 45 minutes in, and the distribution of souvenir programs to attendees.
:swoon:

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Egbert Souse posted:

If you went to see 2001 back in 1968, it was on a reserved seat basis, projected in 70mm with 6-track sound, with an overture, intermission, and exit music. No drinks or popcorn actually brought into the theater.
I saw a 70mm screening of 2001 at the AFI Silver presented exactly like this, minus the ban on concessions (I had a beer each before the film and during intermission). It was absolutely glorious and probably the best theater experience I have ever had. I've never been able to appreciate and enjoy the film as much as I did then, even though the print was beginning to show some wear.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Do you think the regular version of the movie will have an intermission? 3hrs is a hard sit.

Edit: oh, that guy isn't Socrates from Bill and Ted. He died in 2001.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

How big a deal is it that the film is a lot wider? How different an experience is that? You'd think at some point film makers might want more vertical space or framing gets kinda weird.

(That said I know precisely nothing about aspect ratios and such technical stuff)

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

Do you think the regular version of the movie will have an intermission? 3hrs is a hard sit.

The wide release will not have the intermission, so it'll run like 2:45. Definitely gonna want a theater with comfortable seating.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Hibernator posted:

The wide release will not have the intermission, so it'll run like 2:45. Definitely gonna want a theater with comfortable seating.

I'll wait for a BR, then.

Box of Frogs
Feb 12, 2012
Were some theaters removed from the list? I'm not seeing the one here in town anymore.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

it's not just how wide it is, 70mm anamorphic is 4x bigger than super 35mm as a medium. It's going to look really, really good.

if you wanna see how much 1080p resolves vs 70mm, check this https://i.imgur.com/MgSGL1G.jpg

Modest Mao fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Dec 15, 2015

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

As someone who actually knows (a little bit) about the format I can't help but laugh at how the actors get that dorky infomercial tone in their voice when I've seen them try to talk up the format to the press this week.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Vegetable posted:

How big a deal is it that the film is a lot wider? How different an experience is that? You'd think at some point film makers might want more vertical space or framing gets kinda weird.

(That said I know precisely nothing about aspect ratios and such technical stuff)

The ratio itself isn't important per se, just that it's a revival of a ratio that was used by classic great movies, and something this wide hasn't been made in a while. The compositions or framing in the film will be unique to this format because of that.

Also these lenses and the negative size are going to really make for a unique look.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Jean Eric Burn posted:

As someone who actually knows (a little bit) about the format I can't help but laugh at how the actors get that dorky infomercial tone in their voice when I've seen them try to talk up the format to the press this week.

Why?

Annoying Reveler
Jul 16, 2002
http://pitchfork.com/news/62555-ennio-morricone-shares-hateful-eight-track-lultima-diligenza-di-red-rock-versione-integrale/

First track from the Morricone score.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

just going by the trailer i'm just hoping they don't waste the fact that they bagged jennifer jason leigh for a motherfucking tarantino flick. love that she's in this but it would suck if she takes a backseat for most of the movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MinibarMatchman posted:

just going by the trailer i'm just hoping they don't waste the fact that they bagged jennifer jason leigh for a motherfucking tarantino flick. love that she's in this but it would suck if she takes a backseat for most of the movie.

Strong agree.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Yo, I bought tickets for the 26 and then called the theater and they confirmed its in 70mm!

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Who's Adam Sandler in this?

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

I'm really excited to see this in GLORIOUS 70mm. I was finally able to buy tickets after checking my theater every couple days for the past two or three weeks. Looking forward to spending Christmas Eve with a new Tarantino flick.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I found the trailer underwhelming.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Bummed this won't be shown in 70mm anywhere near Buffalo. Never saw a movie in 70mm and I feel like a Tarantino movie would be a good choice.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHpza9bQAkY

Part of the score dropped a few days ago.

It's by Morricone.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I found the trailer underwhelming.

Agreed, and I quite disliked Django, but no way in hell am I missing out on ~~70 mm~~

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

I saw this movie waaaaaaay back in October I think. Advanced screening in LA where they didn't announce what the movie was but everyone sort of picked up on it. Tarantino came out and introduced the film, everyone went nuts, it was great.

Anyway, Tarantino sits within spitting distance of me. I could have spat right in his eye. At the intermission, I joked with him and said "So you made 12 Angry Men as a Western?" and we both chuckled. Now I look back on it, maybe not the best comparison. Anyway, Tarantino then says to me "Actually, it's more like I made ___________ as a Western".

I get up and go to the bathroom and suddenly think to myself; "Wait, this movie isn't like _________ at all. In fact, the only way it would be like that is if... Oh. "

Tarantino spoiled his own movie for me, albeit accidentally. I was the first Hateful Eight spoiled guy.

That's my cute Hateful Eight story, it's a great flick and everyone will love it. There's a small chance the film was edited a little from the version I saw (there were a few choppy cuts here and there), but I'm pretty sure it was the final version.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Calico Heart posted:

I saw this movie waaaaaaay back in October I think. Advanced screening in LA where they didn't announce what the movie was but everyone sort of picked up on it. Tarantino came out and introduced the film, everyone went nuts, it was great.

Anyway, Tarantino sits within spitting distance of me. I could have spat right in his eye. At the intermission, I joked with him and said "So you made 12 Angry Men as a Western?" and we both chuckled. Now I look back on it, maybe not the best comparison. Anyway, Tarantino then says to me "Actually, it's more like I made ___________ as a Western".

I get up and go to the bathroom and suddenly think to myself; "Wait, this movie isn't like _________ at all. In fact, the only way it would be like that is if... Oh. "

Tarantino spoiled his own movie for me, albeit accidentally. I was the first Hateful Eight spoiled guy.

That's my cute Hateful Eight story, it's a great flick and everyone will love it. There's a small chance the film was edited a little from the version I saw (there were a few choppy cuts here and there), but I'm pretty sure it was the final version.

The script has been leaked for some time now, maybe he just assumed "everybody" had read it

(I haven't read it either)

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

It's by Morricone.

Goddamn, I didn't even realize Morricone was still alive.

Got my 70mm Roadshow tickets, super psyched.

edit - Between Hateful 8 and The Revenant this Christmas is going to be amazing for westerns.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

zandert33 posted:

The script has been leaked for some time now, maybe he just assumed "everybody" had read it

(I haven't read it either)

I hadn't read the script, but the dude I was with had and said it had a bunch of notable differences, including the ending. That's going by what he said though so y'know. Also funny in the Q&A afterwrds loads of people asked him what shots/things in the movie meant and he would break his auteur mode and just say "I just thought it would be cool" and really quickly move on to the next question. What a lad.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

LORD OF BUTT posted:

It's by Morricone.

Good poo poo...and I continue to be surprised that he is still alive.

edit: slow pony

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Calico Heart posted:

That's a great story. What was the film he was talking about? (I don't care about being spoiled.)

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Huh, there are 70 mm showtimes open at both King of Prussia and Neshaminy. I might have to check this out.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Some reviews are beginning to trickle out, almost all of them positive. This one says the 3 hour runtime is completely justified: http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/the-hateful-eight-review/

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Is there a rape scene?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Got my tickets. A presentation like this is too awesome to pass up.

Cool Cherry Cream
Jun 15, 2013

Calico Heart posted:

I saw this on reddit when it happened and since then I've had to keep myself from wondering what movie it was so I don't also spoil myself.

Seeing this in San Diego on Christmas Day assuming the police have stopped giving a poo poo. I read that some of the preview screenings that projection issues due to the 70mm and I'm not sure if that's something I should be worried about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
I am an older goon and I remember intermissions, they were kind of fun. You'd happily hold in your pee because you knew that you could eventually use the washroom without missing anything onscreen. I specifically recall Ghandi and Amadeus had intermissions and I think A Passage to India as well (my parents took us to some pretty adult movies when I was a kid, now that I think about it).

• Locked thread