Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Saw the movie in 70mm last night. Really liked it, the characters were all great, and my whole theater laughed a lot (we're not psychos, it was clearly intended to have a lot of funny moments because of the sheer ridiculousness of it). The standout performances were Daisy and the guy from Justified that played the supposed sheriff.

One major criticism though; does anyone else feel like the 70mm format was wasted by this film? The vast majority of the movie was close up dialogue shots in either the carriage or haberdashery. I wanted to see more sweeping landscapes, more exteriors shots like the woods with the snow falling. Some of the interior shots did look fantastic, with the bright light pouring in from above (which didn't make sense in a blizzard...), but 95% of the film was just face shots and long dialogue. It was really cool to see it in 70mm, but I still feel like any number of movies would have made better use of this format than The Hateful Eight did.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It was completely over the top ridiculous and Sam Jackson's delivery of it made it hilarious. Though for my money, Walton Goggins lines gave me the hardest laughs throughout. "I FUCKIN' KNEW IT! OOOOOOOH YOU GON DIE NOW YOU MURDERIN BASTARD."

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 27, 2015

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

"YOU PEOPLE ARE SOCIOPATHS FOR LAUGHING AT A FUNNY MOVIE"

"YOU'RE OFFENDING ME BY LAUGHING AT SOMETHING"

Give me a loving break guys. You can be offended by things all you want, and I'm going to laugh at how petty and ridiculous you are. As others have said, you are knowingly watching Tarantino, you know what you're getting yourself into, if you don't like it, you should probably stop watching his films.

I think this movie actually handled race in a much more interesting way than Django, which seemed to make the singular point of "white people are racists, and it's funny when the black man shoots them". The most interesting dynamic between the characters was when you found out how racist Minnie was towards Mexicans. It made it a much more dynamic issue than the one note topic Django presented race as.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 27, 2015

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

TrixRabbi posted:

Yeah, this is the second film of his in a row where his insistence on giving himself a role absolutely destroys the tone and mood he had worked so hard to establish. I had the exact same problem with Django where he did an amazing job creating this world, writing these characters, and sucking me in. Then in one fell swoop he ruins it all with a tremendously bad decision.

In Django it ruined the film for me, here I was able to get past it. But after a half hour into the second half, and the "reveal" is made, it seemed like he had no idea how to end it. He had written his way into a corner and he wasn't clever enough to do anything but let it all burn down.

I don't even remember his role in Django. He's pretty forgettable in everything actually.

Hollismason posted:

Movie was poo poo entire film was one long lead up to the next joke that featured XXX blank N- Word !!! which Quentin used multiple loving times for laughsthrough out the entire film. . It was a terrible waste of loving 70mm to shoot everything indoors. The acting was excellent but that was about it.

You probably should not pay to see another Tarantino movie, obviously not your thing.

pwn posted:

Unfortunately one of my mates cackled at every misfortune visited upon Daisy. He's kind of a raging misogynist/overall misanthrope, whatever.

Mr. High Horse let me introduce you to schadenfreude. I would love your analysis of why it's wrong to laugh at those parts (not really because that's a really stupid position).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Izzhov posted:

That's the whole point though. He always gives himself extremely minor, forgettable roles in all his films. It's his trademark, like how Hitchcock hides himself in some brief shot in each of his films.

Yes, I know. I was pointing that out in response to the guy that said the cameo ruined the entire Django film, which is crazy.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Armyman25 posted:

This was my biggest problem with the movie they go to all the expensive 70 millimeter and then shoot it all on the inside of a cabin.

Agreed.

The Walrus posted:

Yeah but dude those cabin shots. My favourite one is the one with the door in the centre, the two chairs facing each other in the foreground, and you can see the whole of the action of the entire cabin - the bar on the left and the stove on the right. There is one point in the movie where there are four separate points of focus in one shot. That is nuts.

Like just the fact that I can picture exactly the layout of the cabin is a credit to the format. As many others have said it feels like a stage, a real physical location, and much of that is due to the widescreen.

Yeah, but the one snowy woods shot was better eye candy than all of the carriage and cabin shots combined.

Krispy Kareem posted:

I'm curious to see how they filmed this. It couldn't have been easy working in what was probably a low-light environment (real cabin in the middle of no-where) on film that doesn't have insanely high ISO's like digital sensors.

Does anyone remember if the film took place entirely during daylight? There were enough gaps and holes in the walls to maybe position lighting outside. It's not like they were supposed to have electricity, so they had to make things look realistic with lanterns and candles.

I figured it was to give the film an almost theatrical play feeling. Everything is on the stage at one time (not exactly, but more so than 35mm).

They used plenty of light in the cabin though, remember the crazy sunbeams coming from the roof, etc. It definitely had an artificial feel though, as any daylight coming through would have been very soft and diffused in a blizzard, not the bright warm beams we saw throughout.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

bitey posted:

Late to the party here, but has anybody noticed how far the movie goes out of its way to pass the Bechdel test?

(not a bad thing)

Uh, when do two female characters ever speak alone?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

What kind of stupid metric is that if the rest of the film treats the main female character as a punching bag for the men and subhuman? If you care about something as arbitrary as the Bechdel test, wouldn't the rest of the movie infuriate you? "Oh two minor females had a 5 second conversation this film is a great representation of real females in the real world."

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

So much so that my wife and I both had the same criticism that it felt the actor was portraying Waltz instead of the character.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

After watching it a second time it's solid middle of the pack QT for me. I really like how paired down and simple it is, relying purely on the actors to basically carry it. In some ways, I like it more than Django and Inglorious Basterds because it feels more like QT, whereas both of those (which I also really like) feel more like QT does a more normal style film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

He's also just mad that the lyric she just sang was "while you die behind me John" :lol:

• Locked thread