Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many states will legalize Cannabis in the 2016 election?
5+
View Results

• Locked thread
glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
This thread is to discuss Cannabis legalization in the United States as it applies to elections. There is already a 250+ page thread in the main D&D forum, but I think that since we have an election forum, we might as well discuss the prospects for legalization as it specifically refers to the 2016 elections. Further questions about states that might legalize in the legislature, what the response of the federal government will be, or anything else, probably belong in the main thread.

This thread also has a poll attached. Try to guess how many states will pass legalization initiatives in 2016! If you really want to, toxxing is allowed (but not encouraged). You can specify which states you think will legalize in your post. This thread is also for legalization, as opposed to decriminalization or medical usage.

Marijuana legalization seems to depend on two things: whether the state is culturally friendly to Cannabis, and whether it has a strong program of direct initiative elections. The Western United States, which has a strong history of both, has been at the forefront of the legalization effort.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Initiatives_and_referendums_in_the_United_States#Types_of_initiatives_and_referendums
Describes the states where directly changing the laws is possible, while

https://ballotpedia.org/Marijuana_on_the_ballot#tab=By_year
Gives a history of legalization measures and a list of 2016's measures (which might be added to)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
My own vote is for three states.

I think one of those states, and of course the most important for the country at large, will be California. I also think Montana will, and then one of Maine, Massachusetts, Nevada or New Mexico. I think that all four of those states have less than a 50% chance of passing a legalization law individually, but that taken as a whole, one of them will pass. Montana I think has a little bit over 50% chance of passing, and California has a very good chance of passing...at least 75%. But a lot of it depends on how the laws are written, how the campaigns are run, and what demographic shows up to vote in this election.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
weed becomes ultra-prohibited, all citizens must report for mandatory drug testing 5 days after the election and any with traces of thc in their system are imprisoned just long enough to load enough guns for the mass firing squad.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

shiksa posted:

weed becomes ultra-prohibited, all citizens must report for mandatory drug testing 5 days after the election and any with traces of thc in their system are imprisoned just long enough to load enough guns for the mass firing squad.

Sorry I forgot to put negative numbers in my poll.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I had no idea legalization is on the ballot in thirteen states next year, that's incredible. The only obvious "no" votes I see coming are Mississippi and Arkansas, all the rest are either shoe-ins like California or on the fence like Montana, Arizona and Missouri. Dunno how the initiatives in the Northeast will shake out.

Anyone think the Democrats will adopt legalization into their platform at the convention?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Aliquid posted:

Anyone think the Democrats will adopt legalization into their platform at the convention?

No.

Also I'd be surprised if any states, let alone California is a "shoe-in". The Medical Marijuana industry has a vested interest in keeping recreational marijuana illegal. It's big business and monopolies are good for them.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Aliquid posted:

I had no idea legalization is on the ballot in thirteen states next year, that's incredible. The only obvious "no" votes I see coming are Mississippi and Arkansas, all the rest are either shoe-ins like California or on the fence like Montana, Arizona and Missouri. Dunno how the initiatives in the Northeast will shake out.

Well, I don't know how it works in each state, but they might not actually make it to the ballot. In some states, I think that ballot measures can be dismissed if they aren't written in proper legal language or whatever.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

glowing-fish posted:

My own vote is for three states.

I think one of those states, and of course the most important for the country at large, will be California. I also think Montana will, and then one of Maine, Massachusetts, Nevada or New Mexico. I think that all four of those states have less than a 50% chance of passing a legalization law individually, but that taken as a whole, one of them will pass. Montana I think has a little bit over 50% chance of passing, and California has a very good chance of passing...at least 75%. But a lot of it depends on how the laws are written, how the campaigns are run, and what demographic shows up to vote in this election.

Yeah, there's a very very remote chance MA doesn't at this point. Their proposed bill is a bit like they do it in CO with a commission to determine taxes like they would for liquor, and there's a broad base of support.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Aliquid posted:

There is zero chance of legalization being on the ballot in Missouri in 2016. Show Me Cannabis's polling found that the votes simply weren't there, so they abandoned full legalization in favor of medical for 2016. It's still up in the air whether we'll be a medical state or a "medical" state.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Gobbeldygook posted:

There is zero chance of legalization being on the ballot in Missouri in 2016. Show Me Cannabis's polling found that the votes simply weren't there, so they abandoned full legalization in favor of medical for 2016. It's still up in the air whether we'll be a medical state or a "medical" state.

Haha dang, I was involved with them when they absorbed some of the organization from Kansas when they realized Kansas wouldn't happen.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

WugLyfe posted:

Yeah, there's a very very remote chance MA doesn't at this point. Their proposed bill is a bit like they do it in CO with a commission to determine taxes like they would for liquor, and there's a broad base of support.

I don't know enough about MA, or any of the East Coast. From what I understand, even though New England is politically liberal, it has a more conservative attitude about Cannabis than places on the West Coast. Also, medical only was legalized in MA in 2012, and there has usually been a long gap between medical legalization and total legalization. Even in states where that is true, cannabis legalization hasn't passed easily. So my own background makes me think MA doesn't have an overwhelming chance of legalizing. But I guess we will see!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
New England isn't politically liberal, they just vote Democrat.

A Time To Chill
Feb 26, 2007

Powercrazy posted:

No.

Also I'd be surprised if any states, let alone California is a "shoe-in". The Medical Marijuana industry has a vested interest in keeping recreational marijuana illegal. It's big business and monopolies are good for them.

Yeah but We Teh People are pretty butthurt about a bunch of podunk states getting to go first so medical is gonna have to get on board or get out of the way this time.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
Maine is pretty libertarian when it comes to pot, but the legalization campaign here is also pretty incompetent.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

It's really, really good in MA.

It'll pass and I'm pretty willing to bet the bank in that. Lots of city governments have blocked dispensaries and the taxation thereof, so the Boston metro area is pretty partisan pro-weed.

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
There's been talk of Vermont legalizing it through their legislature. Anyone know the status of that?

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

WugLyfe posted:

It'll pass and I'm pretty willing to bet the bank in that. Lots of city governments have blocked dispensaries and the taxation thereof, so the Boston metro area is pretty partisan pro-weed.

So far, the most support a legalization measure has gotten was 56% of the vote. Colorado, Washington, Alaska and Oregon all passed legalization with 53-56% of the vote. And that was after having medical Cannabis legal for over ten years. Massachusetts did pass medical marijuana by a pretty large margin, but it has only been four years. I don't think any state is a shoe-in.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

starry skies above posted:

There's been talk of Vermont legalizing it through their legislature. Anyone know the status of that?

Next month!

http://timesargus.com/article/20151215/NEWS03/151219761

quote:

MONTPELIER — Legislation to be introduced next month when lawmakers return to the State House would allow those 21 and older to grow and possess marijuana for recreational use as early as July.

The legislation, sponsored by Sens. Jeanette White, D-Windham, and Joe Benning, R-Caledonia, would allow for lounges, where customers could purchase and use marijuana, and retail outlets in 2017. Edible products would not be allowed.

Weird that edibles won't be allowed, but I won't shed a tear because gently caress edibles. The most noteworthy part of the plan is that it lets you set up actual places to smoke, which is absent from all existing legal/medical states iirc

Do any ballot measures next year allow for public smoking?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

glowing-fish posted:

So far, the most support a legalization measure has gotten was 56% of the vote. Colorado, Washington, Alaska and Oregon all passed legalization with 53-56% of the vote. And that was after having medical Cannabis legal for over ten years. Massachusetts did pass medical marijuana by a pretty large margin, but it has only been four years. I don't think any state is a shoe-in.

The state hosed up the mmj thing pretty bad by allowing towns to block dispensaries without a vote, and there's a lot of anger surrounding it. Boston doesn't even have a dispensary. I will be absolutely shocked if MA fails to pass their initiative.

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
Nah, eating weed is the most efficient way to consume it, albeit not the most sociable. I can see a lot of people preferring to get high off of THC infused food items than smoking. It's weird that they'd ban edibles but we can thank the Kevin Sabet's of this world traveling the country with pictures of edibles from Colorado and saying "these are aimed at children, this is the face of Big Marijuana." This is a non-issue though since people can just make edible weed from their own supply.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I think the issue is it's tough to titrate edibles and also that the FDA can't do poo poo to ensure their safety.

Tincture? Sure. But edibles are super tough.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

WugLyfe posted:

I think the issue is it's tough to titrate edibles and also that the FDA can't do poo poo to ensure their safety.

Tincture? Sure. But edibles are super tough.

That's the real reason, but I like to think a couple Vermont legislators had a bad time on one too many cookies.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

That is a better mental image haha

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

yeah it's a lot easier for people with no tolerance to gently caress themselves up on edibles than on smoking

i think it's interesting that the laws for alcohol and tobacco basically assume that you have a built-up tolerance but the marijuana laws don't. it tells us what we already know, that our legislators are mostly ignorant of this particular substance

i think everybody should be sent a government-issued dab rig and butane torch and be forced to smoke a gram of shatter a day from the age of 3

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Assuming they get it on the ballot in Maine it will almost certainly pass. Support is polling very highly there and many cities have already passed local legalization measures, albeit non binding ones. The good news is the two competing legalization initiatives have merged and are working together now.

Nevada is hard to tell. Very red state, but it's pretty libertarian and has a long history of legalizing and taxing sin industries which allows its citizens to enjoy one of the lowest tax burdens in the nation. We already saw libertarian red state Alaska legalize last year, and I doubt their chances of passing were any better than they are currently are in Nevada.

I don't know much about the politics on the ground in Massachusetts but the state has seen real movement over the last few years in regards to pot reform, as has most of New England. Only New Hampshire has not decriminalized yet.

California, that is the real poo poo show. There are over a half dozen competing legalization initiatives, each with its own set of (sometimes crazy) regulations and its passage will likely come down to whether or not the bill favors established medical industry players in the transition to recreational shops. If they do it Colorado style and give the medical dispensaries an easy way to transition or expand to retail operations it will likely find broad support with the established gray market. If it's a free for all, who the hell knows. Also expect heavy opposition from the private prison industry in the state.

Those are the major four contenders at the voting box for 2016, but a few others may find it on their ballot as well.

New Hampshire and Vermont are both good prospects for legalization via legislature before the election.

fat bossy gerbil has issued a correction as of 08:56 on Dec 18, 2015

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
As long as pharmaceutical and prison companies make money with weed illegal, it will continue to be illegal on a national level. The best hope is that every state without significant pharmaceutical and prison constituents legalizes, and national prohibition no longer becomes sustainable.

Neither major party will make legalization part of their platform or promise until there's money in it.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
Another question specifically about legalization measures is how they will effect other races, and whether people backing either party will want them on the ballot because they will attract Democratic or Republican voters. So a Republican SOS might want such a measure, because it will attract older, conservative voters to vote against it, and also to vote for conservative candidate. A Democratic SOS would want the opposite effect. In either case, they might publicly speak out against the measure but still want it on the ballot.

I personally think this will have a negligible effect. Most states aren't swing states, and it won't really matter to Clinton's electoral hopes in California whether a 100,000 extra young people show up to vote for weed and also vote for her. In swing states, there is a good chance that the measure will balance out both the type of voters it attracts, and who they go on to vote for. And there aren't that many swing states that will probably be voting on such measures this year: Nevada is the only one where I would say it might make a difference.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Weed the people :gerty:

But seriously, zero states unfortunately. the electorate is becoming more conservative on drugs, because musicians & hollywood flaunt it.

*lights up in the Senate chamber*

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Nonsense posted:

But seriously, zero states unfortunately. the electorate is becoming more conservative on drugs, because musicians & hollywood flaunt it.

*lights up in the Senate chamber*

what

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

where are the medical referenda likely to be held? i think there's supposed to be one (or two) in michigan, which is vaguely on the edge of presidential competitiveness. montana could in theory go democratic in a wave year, and perhaps in that scenario a marijuana referendum could help

and then of course there are all the house races and various senate races to consider the effects of turnout on. perhaps some house seats will flip based on california's weed turnout - or maybe conservative districts will produce extra anti-weed voters, and liberal districts vice versa, and little will change on aggregate. even state-level legislative races, maybe. it'll be interesting to consider in nine or ten months when things start to come together

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

oystertoadfish posted:

where are the medical referenda likely to be held? i think there's supposed to be one (or two) in michigan, which is vaguely on the edge of presidential competitiveness. montana could in theory go democratic in a wave year, and perhaps in that scenario a marijuana referendum could help

and then of course there are all the house races and various senate races to consider the effects of turnout on. perhaps some house seats will flip based on california's weed turnout - or maybe conservative districts will produce extra anti-weed voters, and liberal districts vice versa, and little will change on aggregate. even state-level legislative races, maybe. it'll be interesting to consider in nine or ten months when things start to come together

Michigan and Montana already have medical marijuana unless I misinterpreted your post.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Dmitri-9 posted:

Michigan and Montana already have medical marijuana unless I misinterpreted your post.

no, i confused things. the campaigns i'm thinking of in those states, as the link from the first post makes clear, are the legalization campaigns. thanks

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

WugLyfe posted:

MA will absolutely pass I think, I'm more concerned about the state enforcing a de facto ban on selling weed by instituting standards that are impossible to meet. They basically did that to block dispensaries for medicinal marijuana. Until very recently you would need to get a provisional license for medical cannibis in Maine and drive all the way to Portland if you want to get to a dispensary (and believe me, there are a lot of steps to this whole process). Don't get me wrong, Portland is a pretty nice place to visit but having to take a two hour drive both ways every time I need to hit up a dispensary can be a real pain.

I'm out of the loop on the new laws being proposed, though. Am I just being paranoid here?

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

It's going nowhere in Arkansas. It came pretty close in 2012 (51/49) but since then the entire state government has flipped over to hardcore Republican wackjobs and the attorney general won't even let it back on the ballot because "the title is too ambiguous".

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
Can someone give more details on the California props?

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I've noticed that the distribution of votes in the poll is not a Bell Curve. There is one cluster around 2 and 3, and then a lot of votes for 5+.

I don't know, but I am guessing that legalization advocates might be more optimistic than people who follow US elections. One thing that I've noticed about elections is that the "underlying beliefs" of the electorate are don't always reflect what will happen. I think that in many of the states, there is underlying support, but I don't think that will transform into an electoral victory in every state.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

glowing-fish posted:

I've noticed that the distribution of votes in the poll is not a Bell Curve. There is one cluster around 2 and 3, and then a lot of votes for 5+.

I don't know, but I am guessing that legalization advocates might be more optimistic than people who follow US elections. One thing that I've noticed about elections is that the "underlying beliefs" of the electorate are don't always reflect what will happen. I think that in many of the states, there is underlying support, but I don't think that will transform into an electoral victory in every state.

You wouldn't really expect a bell curve here, the 5+ option includes everything from 5 to 20 states or however many are actually having initiatives so it would include the summed values of the entire right tail.

But yeah its probably just people being optimistic.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
It's way too early to predict, because we don't have the final list of states with referenda. Even if you start out with Vermont as a gimme, 5 would be Maine, Massachusetts, California, and (most likely) Nevada. What would 6 be, Arizona?

4 is optimistic but hardly out of reality. 5 is difficult, but possible (Nevada, of all places, wouldn't want to be one of the few states in the West that DIDN'T have legal pot). 6 is pushing it.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
the whole country will legalize under the victorious banner of Snoop Lion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Patter Song posted:

It's way too early to predict, because we don't have the final list of states with referenda. Even if you start out with Vermont as a gimme, 5 would be Maine, Massachusetts, California, and (most likely) Nevada. What would 6 be, Arizona?

4 is optimistic but hardly out of reality. 5 is difficult, but possible (Nevada, of all places, wouldn't want to be one of the few states in the West that DIDN'T have legal pot). 6 is pushing it.

Florida, Michigan, Montana, New Mexico. 2016 could end up being a favorable electorate and in a landslide D year I give all four good chances. Florida's the toughest because of the 60% threshold. In fact, I think all four of these states are more likely than Arizona.

• Locked thread