Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many states will legalize Cannabis in the 2016 election?
5+
View Results

• Locked thread
ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I see it in say New York, but not New England. The "east coast" doesn't really include Maine colloquially. Though obviously geographically Maine is included. Also the "west coast" is pretty much talking about California, not Oregon, and not Washington, that would be the "pacific northwest" which generally has a positive connotation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
To me, the most interesting state that could legalize in the fall would be Arizona, because it would open the doors to a lot of other Republican states to go "hey, it's not just hippie lefties who like this pot stuff."

Sure, Alaska already legalized, but no one cares about them.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I mean, outside of a couple areas, ME is pretty hard R. Easily the most repub state in the Northeast

I mean look at their gov LePage :psyduck:

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Powercrazy posted:

I see it in say New York, but not New England.

I've heard this before, but as a New Yorker I'm pretty sure legalization has never been close to getting on the ballot here, despite our success with decriminalization. I could be mistaken, but I don't see it happening until 2018 at the earliest.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Weed

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

There is zero doubt in my mind that Albany will manage to keep legal pot from being a thing here in NY for years to come

also east vs west coast rivalry really means new york vs LA. lots of new yorkers respect San Francisco's similar dedication to jacking rent up to unimaginably high levels

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

So how dead is Michigan's chance to get on the ballot?

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

There is zero doubt in my mind that Albany will manage to keep legal pot from being a thing here in NY for years to come

also east vs west coast rivalry really means new york vs LA. lots of new yorkers respect San Francisco's similar dedication to jacking rent up to unimaginably high levels

Philadelphia, of course, is a much better stratified murder capital than Oakland.

treerat
Oct 4, 2005
up here so high i start to shake up here so high the sky i scrape

Powercrazy posted:

The "east coast" doesn't really include Maine colloquially. Though obviously geographically Maine is included. Also the "west coast" is pretty much talking about California, not Oregon, and not Washington, that would be the "pacific northwest" which generally has a positive connotation.

No actually you're completely wrong, unless by "colloquially" you're referring solely to the crazypants convos you have with yourself.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

treerat posted:

No actually you're completely wrong, unless by "colloquially" you're referring solely to the crazypants convos you have with yourself.

Yes for sure when I hear "east coast" I think Maine, and definitely not NYC, or Washington DC.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Those damned East Coast elite yuppies in South Carolina thinking they're better than us! :bahgawd:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I hate those West-Coast-Hippies in Juneau! :mad:

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Powercrazy posted:

I hate those West-Coast-Hippies in Juneau! :mad:

Alaska isn't on the west coast of the continental US

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I predict that nowhere east of Colorado will legalize Marijuana this year.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

maine or arizona would both have the effect of widening the map when normcore older-than-40 people think about marijuana legalization, and that would have subtle positive effects

i guess they're probably both likely to lose but maybe turnout disparities will help. that cali poll has lower pro-weed numbers for latino than white respondents, which is in line with stuff i've seen before - the difference is smaller than i would've expected, not that i know poo poo. i wonder if there's similar support across age groups, but the age of the median voter is higher among minorities than among whites? or is there just less enthusiasm amongst minorities in general. on that poll, at least, the margin of error on the latino subsample is probably pretty high (<200 respondents) so i shouldnt read too much into it

supposedly the DEA's gonna say something about weed soon http://www.fool.com/investing/2016/06/25/arguably-the-most-important-marijuana-decision-eve.aspx i dont know what to think about that, but maybe it'll have some effect on elections/policy

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

oystertoadfish posted:

maine or arizona would both have the effect of widening the map when normcore older-than-40 people think about marijuana legalization, and that would have subtle positive effects

i guess they're probably both likely to lose but maybe turnout disparities will help. that cali poll has lower pro-weed numbers for latino than white respondents, which is in line with stuff i've seen before - the difference is smaller than i would've expected, not that i know poo poo. i wonder if there's similar support across age groups, but the age of the median voter is higher among minorities than among whites? or is there just less enthusiasm amongst minorities in general. on that poll, at least, the margin of error on the latino subsample is probably pretty high (<200 respondents) so i shouldnt read too much into it

supposedly the DEA's gonna say something about weed soon http://www.fool.com/investing/2016/06/25/arguably-the-most-important-marijuana-decision-eve.aspx i dont know what to think about that, but maybe it'll have some effect on elections/policy

Dunno man, I really hope they get more lax than schedule 2 but I can't see much good coming from a resched like that. It's nowhere near the right ballpark, especially where med is concerned.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
I was hoping rescheduling would come up here. Rescheduling to 2 would be a huge game-changer, and in ways that are not necessarily ones that some people here would find positive. Among other things, medicinal marijuana would become regulated by the FDA and many current producers wouldn't meet FDA standards. It'd also push "medicinal marijuana" to mean a prescription of cannabis pills rather than a permit to smoke medicinal weed.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

That's what I'm worried about. CBD heavy stuff is scarce in MA already, and I really can't afford to go back to having 25-30 goddamn migraines a year just to satisfy some beltway swine.

Despite my medical use, pills aren't the answer just yet given how long it takes ingested THC/CBD to work and I'm not waiting the however many years it takes for phizer it whoever to make a product that doesn't.

GonadTheBallbarian has issued a correction as of 08:18 on Jul 2, 2016

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Yeah, as heavy regulation would do good to stamp out the black market, the true solution is unrestricted access to personal horticulture.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Aliquid posted:

Yeah, as heavy regulation would do good to stamp out the black market, the true solution is unrestricted access to personal horticulture.

Indoor growing is kind of an expensive hobby if you can't get a good black market price for your surplus crops. If legalization and decriminalization actually end up driving down the price significantly, people without at least a few hundred bucks to start a little 1 light op are going to be priced out, and end up just buying their weed from big growers.

Who orchestrated the whole thing :argh:

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
How many states do you think will it take before the federal gov finally just say gently caress it and legalize it federally. I can see a few states doing it this year, then having a handful in 2020 and then it being fairly likely for fed legalization.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
AUMA is now officially on the California November ballot, and polling is looking crazy good, like 60%-37% broadly in favor of legalizing. My main concern was that the cluster of competing initiatives would undermine signature gathering and none would make the ballot, but we're past that point now.

And having weed play a role in CA heightens the chances that presidential candidates will have to touch the issue, and I'd imagine they'll be at least lukewarm-favorable "laboratories of democracy" which will be good for the other smaller state votes. And the near-inevitability of CA legalization can't hurt perception in other states. Even just CA and NV would be a huge coup and lock down a whole region of the US, AZ would be icing on the cake and a genuine Red state, and at least a few states will loosen medical.

EDIT: RI and VT have no initiatives so would have to legislate in weed; didn't do it this year but 2017 could be good after a strong November in other states.

TapTheForwardAssist has issued a correction as of 16:04 on Jul 2, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ace of Baes posted:

How many states do you think will it take before the federal gov finally just say gently caress it and legalize it federally. I can see a few states doing it this year, then having a handful in 2020 and then it being fairly likely for fed legalization.

It will take a substantial nationwide effort, instead of just a regionalist effort like what's currently happening in the Western United States.

Even then, the Feds are probably just going to say "States can regulate marijuana how they please" so Joe Black Guy in Louisiana can still be arrested for it (though they'll probably legalize and then make some other law to justify arresting him).

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

computer parts posted:

Even then, the Feds are probably just going to say "States can regulate marijuana how they please" so Joe Black Guy in Louisiana can still be arrested for it (though they'll probably legalize and then make some other law to justify arresting him).

This would be fine. It's completely ok for states to have different laws. Once you lift the federal ban growers/distributors/wholesalers can start utilizing financial and shipping services and the market expands increasing access for everyone.

No it will not address the systemic problems with law-enforcement.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Powercrazy posted:

Yes for sure when I hear "east coast" I think Maine, and definitely not NYC, or Washington DC.

wtf

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

I thought the polling for Maine has been looking pretty good despite that failed last minute attempt by the state to disqualify the measure. Barring last minute fuckery by the state to keep it off the ballot Massachusetts has a decent shot as well.

Even a single New England state legalizing will put big pressure on the other states in the region to get their own system set up before they start losing potential tax money to their neighbors who are only a couple hours drive away.

Arizona probably won't pass even if it makes the ballot though, just a few years back medical passed by some insanely slim margin of like .1% and it's filled to the brim with racist old retirees of the just say no generation.

At the very least by the end of 2016 we will be looking at an entirely legalized west coast.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

The French Army! posted:

At the very least by the end of 2016 we will be looking at an entirely legalized west coast.

We need a crying Hawaii flag.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

The French Army! posted:

I thought the polling for Maine has been looking pretty good despite that failed last minute attempt by the state to disqualify the measure. Barring last minute fuckery by the state to keep it off the ballot Massachusetts has a decent shot as well.

Even a single New England state legalizing will put big pressure on the other states in the region to get their own system set up before they start losing potential tax money to their neighbors who are only a couple hours drive away.

Arizona probably won't pass even if it makes the ballot though, just a few years back medical passed by some insanely slim margin of like .1% and it's filled to the brim with racist old retirees of the just say no generation.

Yeah, there's a lot of fun baked into MA's ballot this year. <3 moving to AST from EST

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

MA supreme court shot down the legal challenges to the text of the bill. It's clear to go on the ballot for November after verifying the latest round of signatures under the new title: "Legalization, Regulation, and Taxation of Marijuana"

It also clarified the legality of edible THC-containing products.

Biiiig win for the initiative. Hopefully it doesn't get hosed up by the state, but knowing MA it'll find a way to trip over its own dick on that one.

GonadTheBallbarian has issued a correction as of 18:15 on Jul 9, 2016

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib
from today's MU poll in Wisconsin:
https://twitter.com/MULawPoll/status/753288869966151680
https://twitter.com/MULawPoll/status/753289147817857024
https://twitter.com/MULawPoll/status/753289544557002752
https://twitter.com/MULawPoll/status/753289596037951489
:eyepop: does WI have a ballot initiative this year?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Negative.

e.

MA officially on ballot, will be question 4

GonadTheBallbarian has issued a correction as of 20:21 on Jul 13, 2016

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
New Rasmussen poll shows Nevada 50-41-9 in favor of legalizing cannabis, and the most recent I know of for California is May and showed 60% in favor. Maine was 55% in May but that's an MPP poll so ymmv. Massachusetts is looking iffy with 51% against, and AZ is hurting at 39-52-8. Most recent I've seen for Michigan is March, 53%.

Missouri is going for medical (support for full legal just wasn't there) and seems to have a reasonable chance, and Florida is trying medical yet again since they have to hit a 60% bar, not just majority vote, and fell just short in 2014.

Vermont and Rhode Island, two states without a ballot process, both appear to have kicked the can down the road another year (yet again) but if multiple states legalize this year, I could see that increasing pressure on legislators in 2017. Though if Maine fails to legalize and Massachusetts probably won't, there's still an awkward lack of precedent on the East Coast for legalization (fringe case of DC aside).

Here's a sum-up article: http://www.boulderweekly.com/features/cannabis-corner/reading-the-entrails-the-latest-marijuana-polls/

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

New Rasmussen poll shows Nevada 50-41-9 in favor of legalizing cannabis, and the most recent I know of for California is May and showed 60% in favor. Maine was 55% in May but that's an MPP poll so ymmv. Massachusetts is looking iffy with 51% against, and AZ is hurting at 39-52-8. Most recent I've seen for Michigan is March, 53%.

Missouri is going for medical (support for full legal just wasn't there) and seems to have a reasonable chance, and Florida is trying medical yet again since they have to hit a 60% bar, not just majority vote, and fell just short in 2014.

Vermont and Rhode Island, two states without a ballot process, both appear to have kicked the can down the road another year (yet again) but if multiple states legalize this year, I could see that increasing pressure on legislators in 2017. Though if Maine fails to legalize and Massachusetts probably won't, there's still an awkward lack of precedent on the East Coast for legalization (fringe case of DC aside).

Here's a sum-up article: http://www.boulderweekly.com/features/cannabis-corner/reading-the-entrails-the-latest-marijuana-polls/

MA only needs a simple majority. If they outvote the "nay" votes, it'll happen.

Also, the renaming of their bill is gonna help a lot.

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib
They don't have betting markets for every state with a vote up yet, but in case anyone wants to follow betting odds, or ever wants a quick reminder of any particular state's status, here's an easy link:

https://www.predictit.org/home/browse?Search=marijuana&isSearch=true

Current "odds" for five states:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

thethreeman posted:

:eyepop: does WI have a ballot initiative this year?

That's really interesting, for some reason here in MN despite being more liberal than WI on most issues the support is dramatically lower, like the reverse of those results.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
WI doesn't allow ballot initiatives, so either their legislature would have to legalize, or if they're like RI the legislator can pass the buck and put it on the ballot.

EDIT: barring some huge weed sea-change, I can't imagine fewer than three states legalizing. Will be very interesting to see what the next targets are for 2017-2018. Unless weed gets spanked at the polls, VT (especially if ME passes) and RI look strong next year.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Let's say everything passes. What's Phase 2? Illinois, the Upper Midwest, PA and a couple random Western stragglers?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Assuming some best-case where all the above pass, Wisconsin has a good shot, and oddly enough Montana (only 24k signatures needed to get it on the ballot, almost made it this year).

I could also see a calculated decision to work decrim in holdout states, which could be cheap while still providing momentum and undermining prohibition.

The only remaining states without decrim, medical, or legal are Idaho, Utah, both Dakotas, Kansas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Indiana, and West Virginia. A lot of "medical" states have seriously weak "just CBD oil for a dozen epileptic kids in clinical trials" but it beats zero.

Texas could be a slam-dunk for decrim between urbanites and Hispanics (if cast as a racial bias enforcement issue), and TX while polling only 45% for full legal has at least had it discussed in the Legislature.

If the East Coast finally breaks into legal, Connecticut and Maryland are good next prospects, and both border legal areas and are reasonably small states to fund campaigns in. DC's successful campaign was run out of one dude's house and financed by individual donors and Dr Bronner's soap, so there's some precedent for small jurisdictions doing a lot on a shoestring budget since the bar for success is low. Montana only needs 24k signatures to get on the ballot, for example.

Hawaii would be an interesting case: high polls, high usage, and heavily tourist-focused economy.

Barring a complete and total shellacking in November, I'm feeling pretty good for the coming years. CA alone would be a enormous coup, NV is strong and just builds the Western base, but it would be lovely to see an East Coast and a mid-country toehold.

EDIT: calling Oklahoma and Kansas as last states to allow anything, maybe even staying illegal or not allowing a commercial system even following federal legalization. By contrast, Nebraska decriminalized in the 1970s, so we can just all agree the other two states suck.

TapTheForwardAssist has issued a correction as of 04:02 on Jul 29, 2016

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Those MA numbers reek of a SuperPAC push poll. There were multiple polls in 2016 with pro-legalization majorities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
That would we delightful; AZ seems proper hosed though. Partially because they had two competing legalization drives and the failed one is actively campaigning against the successful one.

By the time this year is done, AZ and OH may be the standing examples of how to gently caress up a campaign, though the prior CA one was sketch too.

• Locked thread