Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

y'all know what the gently caress goin on here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

isaboo posted:

Today I dumped a tin of Season skinless dines into my shakshuka and it was glorious

:hf: "Sardines in Shakshuka" crew.

Toasted cumin & caraway seeds before grinding them. Shallots & garlic sautéed in the Tiny Tots oil, oyster & shiitake mushrooms, can of Rotel chili & tomatoes, said Tiny Tots sardines, feta cheese, duck eggs, smoked paprika, toasted homemade bread drizzled with olive oil.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

isaboo posted:

Today I dumped a tin of Season skinless dines into my shakshuka and it was glorious

What kind of harissa do you use?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

there's something I can use harissa for other than merguez?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Android Apocalypse posted:

I was watching a video on YouTube about shakshuka and reading this thread talking about fisherman's eggs.

What if....

We combine the two?

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Tried out some of these today on some triscuits. 3 pretty big dines, but lacked much flavor. Took some hot saucin'. I imagine they'd be good in a recipe.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Myron Baloney posted:

I often put a can of smoked oysters or sardines in the fridge for a few hours before opening, especially in hot weather.

funnily enough I actually don't like them cold, I let them warm back up a lil before eating. half a can of RIGAs is a great light snack and leaves the tummy smiling

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Brolander posted:

funnily enough I actually don't like them cold, I let them warm back up a lil before eating. half a can of RIGAs is a great light snack and leaves the tummy smiling

Yeah I’d think having them chilled would kill a lot of the flavor

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Despite the threat of being excommunicated from the thread, I will admit that the shakshuka I put my dines in was the Trader Joe's frozen variety. DON'T JUDGE ME! My billion kids routinely eat everything in sight but never really look in the freezer so that's all I had.
I ate it in quiet desperation in my secret hiding place fearing I would be found and interrupted.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

isaboo posted:

Despite the threat of being excommunicated from the thread, I will admit that the shakshuka I put my dines in was the Trader Joe's frozen variety. DON'T JUDGE ME! My billion kids routinely eat everything in sight but never really look in the freezer so that's all I had.
I ate it in quiet desperation in my secret hiding place fearing I would be found and interrupted.

This isn't the fancy eating thread, it's the dine thread and you dined goood.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
canned squids? yes please

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

The Voice of Labor posted:

there's something I can use harissa for other than merguez?

I mean, it's a spice blend, so try it as a seasoning base for a variety of things. Maybe roast some veggies coated in the harissa?

isaboo posted:

Wait, there's prepackaged shakshuka?!?

Upon further thought, the only thing you'd need to add to that would be the eggs.

And in this case, sardines.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I'll use harissa for pretty much anything I might use sambal for. A small spoonful spices up rice really nice.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

i caved
wtf is the pickle gonna be like coach?

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
eat so many 'dines i look like the fucker on the porthos cover

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

The Saucer Hovers posted:

wtf is the pickle gonna be like coach?

if they managed to keep the pickles a little crunchy, that would be amazing. dines and pickles are one of my fave combos because the little vinegar and crunch along with the fish is so good.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i bought a tin of riga gold pate and it is not good. it's almost like the texture of whipped yogurt

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Keith Atherton posted:

Yeah I’d think having them chilled would kill a lot of the flavor

eh, maybe a little, but I love the change in texture when it's cold. Pretty much anytime I cook fish or shellfish any way I make extra to eat cold.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Weltlich posted:

if they managed to keep the pickles a little crunchy, that would be amazing. dines and pickles are one of my fave combos because the little vinegar and crunch along with the fish is so good.

i ate the regular mackerel and fell in love and immediately opened the pickle one after

its fantastic- the carrot and cucumber and pimento are not crunchy but they lend the fish very light, delicate flavor that was unlike anything i ever ate out of a can

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

if they still have the flower brand moroccan sardines at fubonn you might want to try them just to marvel at the embalmed carrot slice in the can

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

The Voice of Labor posted:

if they still have the flower brand moroccan sardines at fubonn you might want to try them just to marvel at the embalmed carrot slice in the can

Flower brand, you say?

I'll see if I can find them on my day off & report back.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I just noticed that Amazon currently has 12 packs of various flavors of El Manar sardines with prime shipping for a little over 2 bucks a tin. I picked up a pack of 12 in harissa, and resisted the urge to get a pack of tomato and olive as well, but maybe next time.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 11, 2020

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Flower brand, you say?

I'll see if I can find them on my day off & report back.

if they do, they're in the weird tiny middle eastern/indian section that always gets moved around

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

The Saucer Hovers posted:

i ate the regular mackerel and fell in love and immediately opened the pickle one after

its fantastic- the carrot and cucumber and pimento are not crunchy but they lend the fish very light, delicate flavor that was unlike anything i ever ate out of a can

That's why I like the KO Spanish variety with chile, carrot and cucumber so much, sure they're boneless and rather tuna-ish but they taste so good. Of course I can't find them anywhere now. The Asian markets I usually buy at have next to nothing in stock for canned fish.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
just had the canned codfish on a sandwich with well-buttered homemade bread, raw onions and parsley tossed with lemon juice and a bit of champagne vinegar. truly delicious!

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
I just recently started making shakshuka.

And now I will make it a lot more and i'm not gonna tell my other half theres little fishy boys in there until afterwords

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Slammed down a tin of store brand smoked oysters cuz it's 2029 baby WOOO

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Not my day off per se but I got off work early so I stopped by Fubonn & got some of those Flower brand sardines in tomato sauce.

Also got some Roland brand mackerel fillets & some regular sardines (packed in water & olive oil).

My shakshouka game gonna be 🔥.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

The world is full of excellent art on tins. That Roland label is looking pretty weak.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Not my day off per se but I got off work early so I stopped by Fubonn & got some of those Flower brand sardines in tomato sauce.

Also got some Roland brand mackerel fillets & some regular sardines (packed in water & olive oil).

My shakshouka game gonna be 🔥.

Roland makes some really good anchovie-stuffed olives I like to snack on but they have become hard to find around here.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Fisherman's shakshouka

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

poverty goat posted:

Fisherman's shakshouka

:wow:

I'm gonna make that tomorrow, but I know it won't look as pretty as that. :)

Then I have to head to work. :(

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

poverty goat posted:

Fisherman's shakshouka

E: I snuck a little fermented shrimp sauce in there too :twisted:

Ee: quote is not edit but I also wanted to add to add that the el manar dines from amazon are extremely legit. Tins absolutely packed with big, tasty dines

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Aug 14, 2020

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

poverty goat posted:

E: I snuck a little fermented shrimp sauce in there too :twisted:

What brand? There's a Filipino shrimp paste called bagoong that is loving potent. I should really get one small jar since that would last me the rest of my life.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
idea: intensively misusing the word sardonic in this thread

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Trip report

Pretty ok.
I had little idea what to expect. Previously I've found smoked, tinned oysters to be relatively overpowering in their liquid smokeyness AND general mashed, tinned oyster consistency. A kind of heavily oiled, weirdly smoked chicken liver of sorts.

This had the same texture, though I should note this particular tin the oysters seemed to separate pretty well. But, this seems to be tin by tin. I've had other tins do the same, and yet others all mash together sorta, when you try to remove them. So, could just be a one off. Regardless, these came out in nice little smoked oyster turds (let's face it).

Much less offensive smoke flavor. This was great. It was a much more neutral oil flavor with a light smoke, rather than a straight up "oh nelly that's smoked somethin' in a tin alright". Good stuff here. Heat/chili wise? Almost nada. I do like the spice in many things I eat, and my tolerance is pretty decent. Even still, this was VERY mild. There was some almost vegetal chili pepper flavor and SOME peppery notes but pretty drat mild. Not too many points there.

Overall, would be good on crackers with cream cheese or even a good slice of something like a sharp cheddar under them. Would be good tossed in pasta with a very light sauce or perhaps just on their own, some fresh basil, a squirt of fresh lemon, and shredded asiago to top off? Something maybe along those lines.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Thanks for the review. I figured those smoked oysters would be great as an ingredient. I think I'll try them with some zucchini noodles.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I just eat smoked oysters out of the can with a toothpick.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I think I'll try them with some zucchini noodles.

Oh brother.
That's actually not a bad idea. We got one tonight as long as my arm from elbow to knuckles if I made a fist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Tried Porthos in hot tomato sauce today over rice. Fish were bigger and dryer than I'd like but still pretty good.

KO Mediterranean and Tiny Tots have kind of spoiled me at this point.