Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
So I invented a Sardine recipe today. Today was a "gently caress this, I'm not going shopping I'll make some poo poo outta what I got" day. Here's what I did.

--Preheated the oven to 425
--Cut a perfectly ripe avocado in half and took out the pit
--Spooned out a bit of each pit hole to make it more or less parabolic across the length and width. I put the stuff I scooped out into a bowl.
--Into that same bowl I put some goat cheese, some roughly chopped up sardines, some Chow-chow, salt and pepper, a little olive oil, and a small squeeze of lemon juice.
--Loosely mixed up the contents of the bowl and put equal parts into the avocado halves, topping with a bit more goat cheese.
--Put the avocado halves into a small oven-safe dish and put in the oven for 10 minutes.
--Served on a plate with some toast and spooned out the avocados and their stuffing onto the toast.

It was really good. 10 minutes in the oven was enough to get the avocado just a bit warm, but not hot or bitter and I saw no browning. The warmth made the avocado flesh nice and silky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

My town got a Lucky's Market recently and browsing through there just last night I saw a few flavors of the Bela brand that a lot of you seem to like. I bought and used some of the tomato sauce ones and holy poo poo these are great. KO isn't bad, but its owned by Bumble Bee so I question their provenance. The Belas are bigger, fuller, and seemingly firmer while still being very tender. The flavor is rich while still being fresh-tasting. These are the best Sardines I've ever eaten!

I have noticed I can buy 12-packs of these off Amazon for much cheaper and that's what I'll probably do. But it's nice to know they are within arm's reach if I have a Sardine emergency.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

VendaGoat posted:

In international news today, sardine cartel members were detained at the border when they tried to smuggle in over a thousand dollars worth of fish, without paying import fees. The two men are being held until such time as they either forfeit there ill gotten catch or pay for the tax.

They were quoted as saying, "It's still cheaper than having Amazon deliver them."

A customs official who inspected their car said, "These animals couldn't even wait to get over the border before cranking open those Dines. We knew right away that we were dealing with Dineheads. The whole car reeked!"

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

numberoneposter posted:

Went for a 2 hour bike ride and then ate sardines, a cliff bar, and an apple for my post ride. I've gotten festively plump over the holidays, no complaints, but it's time to do something about it!

One of the reasons I love oily fish is that they sort of feel rich in your stomach, but are effectively so much less rich than anything else that feels the same way.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

I love it when goons pretend to know about nutrition/exercise then lord their ignorance over other goons.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

There are, of course, certain times when this wouldn't be appropriate, but I don't know why you just don't use it in cooking.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Don't fight the outrageous ignorance of the infantile. The slow aching realizations of their own stupidity as they mature is punishment enough.

More to the point: Why toss out all that flavor? :confused:

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Tampoon: When you use your gf's tampons as pontoon boats for your Star Wars Action Figures while playing with them in the tub.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Sizone posted:

you've never actually seen what happens to a tampon when it gets wet, have you?

No, because I've only ever had sex with post-menopausal women. So much cleaner that way.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

We've all heard of picklebacks, why not 'Dinebacks?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

So today I went to my local hole in the wall Moroccan deli and grocery for lunch and saw these on the counter:

Anyone have any experience with these? I would have bought them but I had already paid when I noticed them. Might grab a tin or two when I go back there.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Dried anchovies.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Sweet, thanks! I'm definitely buying these next time I'm in there. Will post a trip report.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

I just read a recipe for anchovy butter. It's basically just grind up the 'chovys in a mortar and pestle, combine with softened (but not melted) butter, push the whole thing through a sieve, store in small air0tight containers, re-refrigerate to set. I gotta try this.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Sifting through that blog I have discovered that eating vintage sardines is a thing.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

He reviews the '99 KOs and gives them 5/5. I gotta think the heavy metallic taste is due to, well, heavy metals. This tin did originate from Yugoslavia in 1968, after all.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Also, I would like to point out, for the official record, that ladies technically only have one solitary pisshole.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Sheep-Goats posted:

U don't know how to whip

I'm not entirely convinced you know how to either, and you're just covering up with bluster. Do it. Show me a The Youtubes video of you doing it. :colbert:

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Mods?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Hmmm, has anyone tried a sardine terrine? I think I'm going to wing it this weekend.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Mackerel is an awesome fish and totally underrated. I live on the Atlantic in the SE of the US and I know a few salty old fisherdudes that run sports fishing charters. They catch ample and huge mackerels (sometimes even weighing up to 15-20 pounds) casually and the people on the charter never want to take the mackerel home. I have been the benefactor of nice clean and fresh mackerel filets on many different occasions. It's become one of my favorite fish. It's robust enough that it can stand up to lots of different cooking preparations, yet when fresh it still has a nice delicacy to it. It's a great sushi fish, as well.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

PuppiesAndKitties posted:

Can you eat sardines if you are not a dad

asking for a friend

To crib a music review I read once:

Sardines are dadfood for people too broken to have kids.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

The Snoo posted:

What is kimchi like??? I've wanted to try it. I trust your judgement

It's hot and tangy and funky. I really like it, but it's best as a condiment/accompaniment to other similar foods.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Bought some Alshark Moroccan Sardines in Spicy Oil. Will post a trip report in a day or two.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Just so you guys know, Alshark Moroccan Sardines in Spicy Oil are totally legit, and probably my new favorites. There were 4 fish in the can and they were the plumpest and firmest I've ever had. The smell as I opened the tin was sublime, a nice super-fresh fish smell, and a hint of smoke and spice. That fresh-fish smell persisted on the palate as well as the light smoke. The spice was almost unnoticeable upon first bite, but after a few more bites it was a pleasant, flavorful tingle on my tongue. What I like about the spiciness is that it's definitely there and will scratch that itch for sardines and Tobasco. However, if you wanted to ramp up the spice you could add more heat and the robust nature of the fish would stand up, no problem. I can't tell you which was more remarkable, the amazing freshness of the smell and taste or the amazing firmness of the fish.

These things don't seem to be easy to come by. Luckily, there's a little Moroccan Deli in my town run by a very nice Moroccan couple. They cost me $3 a tin, which at that quality level I'm going to go ahead and say they are a stellar value.

You can find them online pretty cheap (make sure to check shipping charges, though). I'm going to keep buying them at the deli because I like supporting those people, but if you can't find them locally, buy them online for next to nothing!

Overwined fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 26, 2016

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Male Tears posted:

Not exactly cheap given that the shipping for 2 tins is $11.32.

Holy poo poo, thanks for catching that. The store is in Connecticut so I thought shipping to the US would be cheap, but I just checked and shipping to GA where I live is $12.81 for two tins by the cheapest method. That's loving absurd! I'm going to edit that link out since that site seems to be scammy.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Hmm, I wonder what Anchovy Pesto tastes like...

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Something about downing a tin of Sardines that makes me want to conquer Northumbria and sack their churches.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

There was a Dirty Jobs episode where Mike Roe went to a Salmon Farm. He helped empty a dirty run of the Salmon, then rather than clean the lovely water, they just dumped a bunch of Tilapia in there to eat up all the Salmon poo poo.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

my god is that a Critic reference? how old are you?

We don't truck ta any age shaming tomfoolery in this here dadthread, sonny.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

ChrisHansen posted:

That article talks about maine and california dine canning industry, but i thought the last us cannery shut down. What gives?

Uhhh, I think the question is why in god's name did you come to the conclusion that there were no more US canneries?

I have a serious question relating to 'dines. What sort of cracker? I've tried a few brands from my local grocery store, but they either taste like sawdust or are basically sawdust. I need a cracker with some structural integrity! Any suggestions.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

See, I understand that crackers are supposed to only lend a little flavor to things. It's the structural integrity I have a problem with. It's like particulate furniture vs wood plank furniture. Bad crackers are all mealy and crumbly and they can't absorb poo poo because they're kind of like compressed sand. I need something that will stand up for itself!

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

ChrisHansen posted:

There's many items on the top shelf of dadliness. Everything from beef liver to borscht.

Sweetbreads.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Sardine-salad sandwiches are indeed much, much superior to tunafish and there's more fun poo poo you can do to keep it fresh. I did a kimchi and dine sandwich on a baguette not long ago and it owned.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

They seem like a straight rebranding of KOs to me. Though lord knows why. Maybe the Canadians are still mad about that one Viking fishing village that was abandoned long before Canada was even thought of as a thing. :shrug:

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

So a thought occurred to me. Since I can get Alshark Moroccan Sardines in Spicy Oil and they seem not too easy to find on the internet and since sardines and gourmet canned foods in general seem oddly regionally distributed, I thought about maybe making a Google Sheet that we could fill out with what we want and what's available to us. That way if you want to make an exchange with another dadgoon, you can. Any interest in this? As I said, I have no problem setting up the sheet. The exchanges themselves would have to be organized goon to goon, though.

EDIT: Personally I would like to see exchanges that are considered equal by both parties and no money changes hands. You guys can do whatever you want, I guess. But it would seem better off in SA-Mart if that's what you want to do. Again, I'd rather just steer clear of it.

Overwined fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 3, 2016

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Sheep-Goats posted:

I think it would be good if the way you requested dines from someone is you mailed them dines without asking and then they went "oh man gotta mail back some deens" but that would involve publicly sharing addresses so I think keeping it to "I have this, pm me, we can exchange fish" is fine

I agree insofar as the nature of the exchange should just be ad hoc. If you want to give away dines, go ahead. If you want to exchange dines, do it. If you want to buy or sell dines, that's okay just remember that buyer beware. The sheet is just a way to find people with dines and people in need of dines and to be able to contact them. The rest is up to you.

Anyway, :siren: here is the link :siren: to the sheet. I'm going to continue working on it, but it's pretty self-explanatory for now. I put in just the brands I've seen around my area, so feel free to add your own brands to the far right. If you can't be bothered with formatting, that's fine, I'll try to clean it up as people add brands and types. Also, and I think this is important, try to think about whether or not anyone would want that brand of dines. Consider how widely available they are and if they are even any good. For reference, you may want to use the Mouth Full of Sardines blog.

EDIT: It's conditionally formatted to make it easier to browse, so use the key.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Sheep-Goats posted:

Add a country located in box please.

Ah, yes. Good idea. Adding now.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Sheep-Goats posted:

E: I put it in the OP, if people start taking regular advantage of it I'll feature it more strongly go get going goons

Likewise if people use it, I'll add tabs for like smoked oyster and clams and other canned seafoods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Speaking of smoked oysters/mussels/clams, any recommendations on brand? I definitely want to delve in and take my dad level to 11.