Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

Fo3 posted:

E: Browsing their site I found something. What is this?!

It's a dried fish they break apart and chew on while drinking beer. It's a better past time than giving all your country's money to some rear end in a top hat then spending your life defending him online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Sardines and salmon go great together actually

Sardine adjacent, but this Salmon with anchovy sauce recipe from a 100 pages ago is incredible.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017329-salmon-with-anchovy-garlic-butter

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
Any experience with the 'Polar' brand? Grocery Outlet has some really cheap bristlings in Olive oil. The tin has this see thru plastic cap I've never seen before. l.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
I've found sardines are a good way to actually use this big lemon balm plant I've got. Mixing it into cream cheese and using eating it with sardines and crackers is really good. I guess pestos for fish dishes is one of the main uses for it.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

Zoe posted:

Is there such a thing as a dine packed in mustard that tastes remotely like mustard? Or at least one where you don't feel like the better option is just to rinse off the watery yellow muck and eat it plain?

pahuyuth posted:

Having a tin of Coleman's mustard powder on hand is mandatory for fixing cheaper dines. And also for everything else because it is delicious.

^ dumping some mustard powder in with some Dijon always tastes good anyway.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

Keith Atherton posted:

Corner store is out of sardines. Seem to have replaced them with these weird things

‘Dine sized tins of tuna with stuff like beans, onions, red peppers, “leafy greens”

I guess dump it on rice? Strangely curious to try one out even though I try not to eat canned tuna

They're good but too pricey. I like them as a hiking or camping snack though. The nicoise one is best imo.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

Had the Matiz little mussels with a white wine and garlic sauce. They were very tasty.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

doctorfrog posted:

Those TJ sardines in olive oil are my budget go-tos. Nothing like King Oscars, they're big, chewy, fishy dudes with a big crunchy spine. Roll them vertebrae on your tongue like little dice.

Miss the ones in harrisa

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
What's the dish for?

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

Jet Jaguar posted:

[url]
Update today says that the Wildfish smoked salmon is unreal.

Just got an ad for them. Some expensive but good looking canned fish.

https://wildfishcannery.com/collections/all

I got more of the canned dorade from Trader Joe's. It's really good and I think it'll be nice in some kind of creamy pasta sauce.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
I've never noticed a bone in sufficiently small sardines. I have noted King Oscar Tiny Tots getting larger over the last few years.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
Cool bowl. I hope they've got them here.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
I'm also looking to make a modest tin can fish purchase. If I was only buying 5 different cans could anyone give me some recommendations?

Edit- I guess you can't buy singles? What's really good that isn't in US grocery stores?

Elea fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Aug 6, 2021

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
Some canned fish available in Mexico.. Haven't found the non-Tuna selection to be great. In an area famous for fishing I guess it's weird to want canned sardines so much but :c00lbert:

^ Not offensive tasting but not terribly flavorful either. Chili in the can with bad oil but no real heat or chili taste.

^ These are good. Big fishies but with nice flavor. Probably going to be my mainstay while living here.

A big piece of trout in vinegar. Was worried the vinegar flavor would dominate but it doesn't at all. Really flavorful and great in salads.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
drat congratulations.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

Soul Dentist posted:

Uh yeah don't worry about me dude

Love this stuff.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
Anchovies is a classic pizza topping they may offer on or off the menu.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
Gonna try that recipe with these giant beans

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
Could dissolve the seasonings in a little splash of vinegar first.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

What's the best way to eat tinned trout? Just got a gift set and I have plans for the salmon and tuna but not the trout yet

I've enjoyed canned trout with a little goat cheese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
Trying some new recipes to use these 240g Fried Riga Gold's in tomato sauce selling at Grocery Outlet for 1.49

Cooked down some potatoes, onions, garlic and, canned tomatoes then added harrisa, the sardines and spinach.

That made a pretty big pot worth at least 5 meals. Tried a portion with some a couple eggs poached and it's as tasty as it was cheap.