Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

wanted to try something a little different

pretty good. a little spicy and a nice change of flavor pace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I'm making a sardine pizza.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

PinkoBastard posted:

I'd like to peep a pic of this, if you can

Sure, I was trying to emulate the sardine spaghetti, but a pizza instead.

Crust: regular pizza dough, fermented in the fridge for a couple of days

Sauce: extra virgin olive oil, a few cloves of minced garlic, fresh basil, oregeno, red pepper flakes, and dill all stirred together

cheese: equal amounts parmesan and colby jack

toppings: diced onion, can of sardines (drained), a bunch of capers. you could probably use the oil from the can in place of the oil in the sauce if you want.

It's really good and I'll probably make one again in the future.

Ceciltron posted:

From experience: they're going to drip a lot of oil. You're gonna have to adjust the crust density and cooking time/temp to make up for it. If you don't, you're gonna have it dripping right through the pizza which will make a hole when you lift it.

It was a little more oily than usual but I didn't have to change anything from my regular pizza recipe. did drip a little oil on the floor of the oven though. crust integrity was fine

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Pizza dough is really easy to make. I make mine in a stand mixer but a food processor does a good job too if you don't want to do it by hand.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Ceciltron posted:

If it's not too much, sharing your recipe would be great. After all, dough is "I mixed basic items then added LIVING CREATURES WHICH I THEN COOKED ALIVE AND ATE", so it's pretty dad-qualifying.

I don't use a recipe really, I just eyeball it. Put a spoon (just a spoon i eat with) full of yeast in a bowl or mixer, add a like half a spoon of sugar or honey, add some salt shakes, add roughly a cup of warm water and add a few glugs of olive oil. Add ~1.5 cups of flour and start stirring/mixing. Then I incorporate more flour as I go until it feels like a nice dough. Rub or brush some olive oil on it and let rise in a loosely covered bowl for an hour or two in a warm place. I put mine inside my microwave because it's always a little warm inside it. At this point you could stretch the dough and make a pizza, but I punch it down and stick in the fridge overnight. If you leave it for a few days in the fridge, it tastes better.

To cook it I put a cast iron pan upside down in my oven to use as a pizza stone. Preheat to 500. Lightly flour a piece of parchment paper and stretch the dough on it. Then I assemble the pizza and bake it right on the parchment. Just hold the sides of the paper and set the pizza gently on the upside down pan. The paper gets pretty brown in the oven but it makes it easy to move the pizza around. Bake it for 8 - 10 minutes and use the parchment to slide it onto a cooling rack. Done. Baking weakens the parchment in my experience so be careful using it to move the pizza too much after it cooks.

This recipe is fine if you absolutely need to measure it though.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/pizza-dough-237338

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

King of Bees posted:

Found a real score today. Fresh dines at the seafood shop. Going to grill them tomorrow. I was thinking skewers, brush with olive oil and salt and pepper. But I'm open to other techniques. Making some steamed clams with garlic butter on side.

Grill them like you want but marinate them for like 30 mins in this: olive oil, salt, pepper, crushed garlic, lemon juice (and some lemon zest if you're feeling frisky). Some finely chopped fresh rosemary thrown there in might be good too.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

King of Bees posted:

I read somewhere to throw the rosemary right on the coals as soon as you start grillin. New technique I think I'll try.

That sounds really good, report back how it works. Chili flakes would be a fine addition too, or maybe a little cayenne.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Nice

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

looks good. i made an anchovy and caper pizza for lunch.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Lathespin.gif posted:

Ya mean these guys?

Haven't tried them yet, but they looked good on the shelf? Prolly crack the first tin of 'em next week sometime, will report back.

These are good

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Eggplant has some nice flavor imo. I made an eggplant pizza for lunch and it was pretty good.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I wish my local store carried Mediterranean KOs, but I haven't seen them around.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I like to just dip regular oil packed sardines in various mustards. I've got probably 5 or 6 different kinds.

This one is best.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

im gonna try to hunt down some whole sardines to grill today. if not, i'll find some other fish

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

King of Bees posted:

They so good.

Couldn't find suitable sardines so I got some sort of Japanese smelt.

They're like all roe inside and pretty fishy, but not bad. They seemed like they would be pretty good deep fried.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

King of Bees posted:

Looks great! Did you gut them or just go at them whole? We used to do smelt runs in Northern Michigan and do a quick gutting, and deep fry. They were basically fish french fries.

I grilled and ate them whole. No problems from not gutting them.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I have to say that for the really cheap dines that Bumblebee is much better than Chicken of the Sea. I'll only get Chicken of the Sea if they are all the store carries.

I have the exact opposite experience. I got a bumblebee can once that smelled bad enough to make me gag but have enjoyed all the chicken of the sea cans I've bought.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i've got about 5 or 6 beavs in my fridge

this best is dijon garlic but they're all pretty good.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

It's trout grilling day. Fresh rosemary and garlic inside em.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Oyster stuffing is excellent. I've had it made with jarred refregerated raw oysters and canned smoked ones and both were good.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I ate a bunch of those in a stir fry recently and it was really good. The heads and guts were intact.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

withak posted:

Teriyaki in general can just go away.

Wrong as hell

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I ate 50 raw oysters over a few days last week, and I'd happily do it again.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Look Sir Droids posted:

I would eat 50 raw oysters in one day.

Limit of 24 per person on happy hour :(

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I sent my dad a 4 pack of KO for father's day.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I live on the puget sound, how to I catch squids

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Roki B posted:

How is mackerel, I see cans of it next to the sardines and herring and I'm curious.

It's good. Fishy and oily and flavorful.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

LingcodKilla posted:

Catch your own fishy stuff.

i bought some squid at the grocery store because of this and your post in the fishing thread about them. whats the best way to cook them

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

No, I had to clean them. Split them in to tentacles and top tubes

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

LingcodKilla posted:

Well how did it go?

Pretty good. The tentacles and beak are pretty easy to remove. I slide a knife up the mantle and split it open, then scraped out the guts. The cartilage thing in there comes out pretty easy too. I didn't remove the skin. Should I? I saw that it's edible but some people remove it. I'm gonna marinate the pieces in some soy sauce and fry and or grill some tomorrow.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

PokeJoe posted:

Pretty good. The tentacles and beak are pretty easy to remove. I slide a knife up the mantle and split it open, then scraped out the guts. The cartilage thing in there comes out pretty easy too. I didn't remove the skin. Should I? I saw that it's edible but some people remove it. I'm gonna marinate the pieces in some soy sauce and fry and or grill some tomorrow.

Update: Pretty good, didn't grill any because it was dark out so I fried all the pieces. The tentacles are best because you get a gradient of fried crispiness down the length of the tentacle.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i got some tiny tots recently to add to my ample fish collection

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

best of the bunch: all of em. the riga gold ones are great to leave a jar of in the fridge for individual fish cravings

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Making bread yourself is pretty easy, especially if you have a stand mixer and dough hook to knead it.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Just dive in my friend. Buy a nice can and eat them

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Maybe get a smoked variety if you want less intense fish flavor. The smoke overpowers it in some cases and still can taste pretty good.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i let some KO coupons expire :smith:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I used a grinding wheel once to flatten out the inside of a very rough sand cast iron pan and it turned out fine. You can't really gently caress it up in a way that is unrepairable unless you make a hole in it or something

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 9, 2019

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i think they're worse than all the other kinds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I'm glad my sardine appreciation has already pre-prepared me for the end times. I counted and there's 20 cans of fish in my pantry :cool: