Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Pretty sure it's safe to call any of the Royal Guards "it" but the real question is whether Kite is a girl or a boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
You can always watch the Chimera Ant arc because the Madhouse adaptation really brings to life how scary these giant man-eating ants are. Then they learn Nen.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Alder posted:

I'm ready now that I have the 2011 on my PC. Here's to the rest of the winter :angel:

Is this one the shounen where they have capable adults? Now that im old I feel like I can relate to them more than the kids.

This is the one shounen where Old Age and Treachery beats Youth and Skill almost every time.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Gon needs some power back at some point if only because it screws with Hisoka's arc that he's powerless.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Alluka is biologically male but identifies as a girl and all her family refusing to refer to her as a girl is just to underline how poo poo they are to her and how Killua is like the coolest brother ever. I think that's the take you're supposed to get out of it anyway.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

RatHat posted:

Weren't nen users that were eaten by the queen reincarnated as ants? Of course not all of them remembered their former lives.

I want to say this only happened if their brains were intact on death but I might be making that up. Considering Kite was the last Hunter turned into an Ant by the Queen though, Pokkle ain't coming back.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Oh hey you're right, for some reason I remembered the order of events backwards. Okay so there might be a Pokkle ant somewhere out there.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

YggiDee posted:

Speaking of Meleoron, God's Alibi and God's Accomplice are amazing superpower names. I love all the bizarre nen powers everyone comes up with (Knuckle: defeating his foes with the power of compound interest), or using fairly straightforward ones in clever ways. Like, how much mileage does Hisoka get out of friggin' Bungee Gum?

Hisoka is a little different because he's the one who monologues about trying to learn too many powers capping your growth so of course he has like one combat ability and he just really runs with it. Then again if you're Ging you're talented enough to do everything so who knows.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I've always thought of Ging as a free spirited type who is really bad at dealing with responsibility in the sense that he doesn't want to stick around to see something through once his flight of fancy is over and his attention is focused on a new thing. And Gon is a darker take on Kintaro with him being more emotional animal than boy.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Relin posted:

Yeah but much of the time you're worried something is going to prolapse your intestines. Even the cooking ones probably face death on occasion

Coating your gut with Nen is probably good enough to save you from pretty much anything short of Toriko-level foods.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Wild Horses posted:

Yup, it's good for straight up battle, good for cheap shots, traps, tricking people. And even if you know how it works he can still apply it in numerous ways, none of which can be stopped.
Basically you need some sort of conditional nen hax to stop him, because if you try to stand and bang with him you'll take a huge risk.

Conditional Nen hax like 100-Type Guanyin Bodhisattva where the condition is "throw 10,000 punches without stopping"

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Roland Jones posted:

Alright; I just went to Wikipedia, and their definition of bodhisattva was someone who reached enlightenment out of a desire to help others or something, while a buddha was anyone who reached enlightenment period, from what I gathered. Given Netero's... Well, given Netero, the former didn't seem right based on those definitions.

Netero attains enlightenment through gratitude (to martial arts) and then promptly goes to found his own school in order to teach everyone gratitude. Guanyin being a bodhisattva of mercy and compassion kinda represents this too. Hell, he was doing his best not to think too much about Mereum's situation because he knew he would start empathizing with him. That's how compassionate he is!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
This whole "extremely specialized Nen-user" discussion is analgous with the human immune system and that only works because it can poo poo out millions of incredibly specific antibodies at the drop of a hat. Then again, it's entirely possible for the Chimera Ants to do exactly that since they were harvesting the population for potential Nen users. Just keep em in an egg and pop them out when you need them.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I'm not sure if it was part of the plan but Pitou's version is way scarier than that dumb nerd's super saiyan gimmick

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Serious Frolicking posted:

Alluka could do it, but they spent all of greed island finding a nen remover so why go through the extra trouble? There has been no indication that what's-his-face isn't up to the job, just that it hasn't happened yet. It took him months to get rid of the bomb on himself, and I'm sure it would take even longer for something crazy like Kurapika's chains.

Poor guy probably has a Nen beast the size of a house following him around for the rest of Kurapika's life.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Ytlaya posted:

On a side note, I was thinking about Shizuku's nen ability and it is actually more powerful for single combat that it might seem at a glance. If she manages to break your skin even once without you instantly covering it/bandaging it up, she can just suck out all your blood like in her fight with Pike. Also, for a comedy option couldn't she suck off all your clothes?

My favourite thing so far is that HxH has avoided the trap where you have these essentially instant-kill abilities that can be avoided by just being Nennier than your opponent.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Ytlaya posted:

Regarding the Hanzo thing, I'm a little mixed about Hunter x Hunter's approach to supporting characters. It seems like there are two reasonable ways a long shounen story like this can work; either a relatively small group of protagonists and supporting characters are followed throughout the various story arcs (think DBZ), or every story arc introduces a brand new set of supporting characters, with only the core protagonists remaining prominent (if you do both of these things you end up with something unpleasant like Bleach). Hunter x Hunter obviously chooses the latter; virtually zero supporting characters have had a significant role in more than one arc, other than maybe Hisoka. One of the downsides to this is that it means supporting characters that fans are interested in do not receive much of a spotlight or progression. The Phantom Troupe post-Yorknew is one example of this. Another problem is that it can result in later arcs seeming unplanned, particularly when the supporting characters they introduce are big players; the obvious example of this is the Zodiacs, who I believe are never even mentioned before the election arc (which is kind of awkward when you consider that the Chimera Ant stuff was considered a serious enough threat to warrant Netero himself getting involved and even dying).

All this being said, I think the positives of this method of story-telling outweigh the negatives. While some interesting characters might not receive the focus I'd like, all of the new characters each arc introduces are great, and it allows for a lot more variety in plot-lines and very little redundancy. Rather than focusing too much on a grand, series-spanning narrative, Hunter x Hunter instead opts for far more intricately plotted individual arcs. So as much as I would like to see more of characters like Hanzo or progress Kurapika's story arc, it's probably better that it's done this way.

Doesn't she have multiple abilities? She also has that one where the doll grabs all her limbs and makes her fight beyond her limits.

We'll never see Ikalgo again but I'll be damned if he isn't the coolest side character ever

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah but Koala is bound to show up again if Kite shows up again, which seems exceedingly likely (ignoring release schedule)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I wonder at what point when he was developing his Hatsu that he figured that it is totally a good idea to empower his ability by requiring people to touch his book before he can steal their Nen.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Ytlaya posted:

One thing I don't understand about nen is how people form their abilities. Like, can you calibrate your nen ability? For example "I can emit a nen blast, but can only do it every 10 seconds to make it stronger!" "Hm, that wasn't strong enough, let's try 20 seconds." Because how in the world is someone supposed to know exactly what effect the limitations they put in place will have? It seems like a total crapshoot. But at the same time, it seems like you can't do that, because if you could then nen users would simply alter their abilities depending upon the fight.

I guess we're supposed to just assume that nen users are suddenly struck with an inspiration to create a certain ability. Except some are struck with an inspiration that doesn't end up working that well, like Kastro or Pokkle.

It is a total crapshoot. Remember that Kurapika had no idea how strong his abilities would be despite using an incredibly narrow restriction on their use so he tested it out against the physically strongest member of the Troupe first.

I do find it neat that Nen isn't even the end all when it comes to shounen fighting though. Many of the most powerful characters in the series don't have combat specialized abilities which makes most encounters go beyond arbitrary "well my shounen power is more powerful/counters yours so I win unless you do some mid-fight power up".

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Killua instantly decapitates at least 3 Ants in that arc but it only happens after he removes the needle in his head, though. The best part is that he does it with (presumably) just regular Nen reinforcement though and not his Hatsu.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
He's just going to murder people with his barehands like Illumi probably does.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

ImpAtom posted:

I assume there are at least some people out there who are absurdly strong but have no idea of Nen, they just have subconsciously set a bunch of rules and limits for themselves. Like Komugi but without the board games.

You can probably make the case that Netero became obscenely good at martial arts/founded Shingen-Ryu before he knew of Nen. Then again Shingen-Ryu invented all the terms for describing Nen so maybe not.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I was really sad when Kite died because Shuichi Ikeda is an institution.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Ytlaya posted:

Then it seems like a person deeply committed to a decent weapon would gently caress up someone deeply committed to fighting with their fists. It's the "all parts equal" part that's important, here; obviously a weaponless nen user who is far more skilled could punk a less skilled person using a weapon.

One explanation that could work (but I don't think has been explicitly stated) is if your aura becomes weaker the further it is from your body when enhancing something. So even if you can put aura into a sword, you can't put as much as you could put into your fist, so you end up with a trade-off between range and power.

Vaguely related to this, that ant Feitan fought (Zazan I think) was actually ridiculously strong and only lost because Feitan's nen ability is retarded and overpowered*. She was completely unharmed by a full-forced strike from one of the stronger members of the Ryodan.

*Though not as dumb as the dancer guy who can summon a Jupiter that apparently chases and crushes you and doesn't even require you to get hurt first

Hisoka uses literal cardboard playing cards as his main weapon. The underlying theme of Shounen Fighting in HxH is that it's the application of your ability that matters.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Wild Horses posted:

It was probably a bunch of different nen types but the whole statue action was triggered by the faster-than-sound praying of his body.

I love this because of how dumb it sounds but it works

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Mapping your fake money 1:1 with real life money is too convenient for world building so it feels really contrived. Having a simple ratio (10% weaker than the Yen) makes it easier to grasp than if it was like "100 yen is 83.92 jenny at the current date of publication" so you don't completely lose the idea of the value of things that Togashi is trying to convey.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Be careful what you wish for, you can probably count the number of people in the manga industry with Togashi's talent and genre savviness with one hand

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Knuckle's whole story kinda points out that numerical power level doesn't matter, because you can fight someone whose power level is so insanely high (Youpi) that he'll never go bankrupt in a reasonable amount of time and still win, mainly because your victory condition is not tied specifically to "defeat him in combat". Similarly, Kurapika killed Uvogin pretty easily despite the fact that he was most likely one of the strongest Spiders in direct combat and there's no way a kid who learned Nen a couple months ago is going to be able to beat a Spider under normal circumstances. Killua couldn't even get away from Machi, who hasn't been shown to be one of the more combat oriented Spiders, and he was (and is still) the strongest fighter of the group.

Also it should be pointed out that Netero invented the Shingen-Ryu school of martial arts and he literally codified the language on how to define Nen and its possibilities. I wouldn't be surprised if those "restrictions" are either just a general guideline (I mean, Kurapika already circumvents them) and/or can be surpassed through mastery of the art.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Davinci posted:

I've always been fond of the idea of Gon's nen manifesting in a different category as he regains it post-recovery. It would both reflect the irreversible change his transformation put him through, as well as probably give him a more interesting signature move than stand-around-charging-a-single-punch.

Gon's new nen category is Transmuter, where he learns how to turn his aura into teflon in order to battle his greatest nemesis, Hisoka

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Serious Frolicking posted:

But that makes it sound like conjuration is emission's ugly sister. What can conjuration do that emission cannot? Making things visible to normal people seems profoundly worthless.

Kortopi, for one, is probably the most important Spider in terms of getting poo poo done.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Kingtheninja posted:

Holy gently caress killua what the God drat poo poo.

Oh yeah, Togashi ain't afraid to kill off characters.

E: in gruesome ways

Eej fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 27, 2016

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Just another traditional example of the wisdom earned with age

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Theoretically, if he could open his portal and close it to instantly slice anything, then it could be a dangerous killing skill and the Melon + Knov combo could be devastating.

More realistically, Knov probably can't close the portal on something vastly stronger than him. You try slamming a door into Mereum's face and see how much damage you do to him.

I don't think there's ever a time where someone can just flex their bigger Nen to break the abilities of someone else.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

HerraS posted:

Apparently only Dragon Dive uses Emission? I guess it's because the one he used to fight Chrollo was connected to him the entire time.

Then again I can see Zeno just going 'hmmm, I'll transmute my aura to have the properties of a loving dragon' and call it a day :v:

Dragon Dive is an off-type technique that isn't a perfect match for his specialization. It's just that he's so strong it doesn't matter unless he's fighting opponents as powerful as he is.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Silva's kind of a stick in the mud if the concept that most appealed to him was "I want to make a big orb of die"

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Silver2195 posted:

It's probably because this thread has had big arguments about the relative merits of the different Nen types.

Personally, I'd say Specialization>Enhancement>Transmutation>Manipulation>Conjuration>Emission

have we learned nothing about trying to compare power levels in HxH

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Pewdiepie posted:

If you were Goreinu, could you carry around Black Goreinu in a box then use him to swap a different person into the box?

I don't see why not. I think he could handle anyone who would be beaten by that without it though.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Clarste posted:

Pakunoda uses Specialization though, where Specialization is defined as "breaks the rules."

But yeah, we even see Biscuit go out of her way to train Gon in three different adjacent categories to make him more balanced.

It's also implied and shown that the strongest Nen users work their "lesser" categories into their own style, not in the sense of Gon's Jajanken but like how Zeno's Dragon Dive is a combo skill, Netero's... everything is a combination of Emission and Manipulation, Biscuit's masseuse's are a triple type combo etc. which loops back to "sticking with one type limits your potential".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Zeno's first dragon skill is just straight Transmutation because he's changing his aura into the form of a Dragon that deals damage through contact. Netero's Buddha is considered Emission because it's an object made of aura that isn't directly attached to his body's aura and he isn't changing his aura to have the properties of "A Buddha" and he uses Manipulation to actually move the construct.

Dragon Dive is Transmutation (turn aura into a Dragon) + Emission (allow aura to function when detached from body).