Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Serious Frolicking posted:

the spiders and hisoka were absolutely not equipped to capture genthru alive while he was on greed island. anywhere else, sure. but on greed island he was a master.

yeah he was sufficiently good as a hunter to mean he'd be able to escape using cards unlike most of the other people on greed island

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i like how unconcerned hisoka is that he lost a foot and a hand

also i realise that while most hunters don't have a huge amount of nen abilities and Hisoka is closer to enhancement than materialisation it doesn't really feel like its come out of nowhere if he uses a different skill. this is the first time we've seen him fight anybody who would require anything more

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i think you're reading the wrong manga. the hiatus starts when this fight ends and then we never get any more

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

once the protagonist dies the manga is over

hisoka is going to win

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

there are fights with gon/killua in the future to never see while chrollo dying doesn't really mean poo poo

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

hisoka is going to show more than 2 nen abilities

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i think its that conjuration to make the steel pillars which are just basic steel pillars and then putting his nen in them and making that magnetic

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

his power is really not that complicated jet fuel can't melt steel beams

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Asuron posted:

Who told you this? Gon wasn't using nen against the solider ants except to block, at one point he literally crushes an armadillo ant with his bare hands.

i thought simply using ten increased your strength

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I always thought the arm wrestling results from the Troupe were meant to demonstrate how strong the Troupe was without using nen. I mean, Gon never suspected anything from Shizuku when arm wrestling and vice versa even though aura use would be both visible and you'd probably feel it if you held hands.

I got the impression it was explicitly with nen which is why gon who barely knows any beat shizuku and the list starts with enhancers and then hisoka

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

where are the raws?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol. not sure which bit of the chapter was more ridiculous

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I can't remember does Chrollo lose an ability he's stolen if the previous owner dies? I thought Shalnark's power could be used with any phone but it doesn't come across that way

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Hisoka is using texture surprise to hide himself but he's effectively a walking zombie held together by Nen now which is a hell of a weakness. He's got fake limbs and his body is literally held together by his Nen functioning. He's a zombie and the second he gets put in a situation where he can't depend on Nen he's dead.

he'll heal eventually so that he doesn't die the moment he can't use nen but will still obviously be hosed from losing a hand/foot.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Machi could presumably provide more permanent and better healing for hisoka in all the places that can be stitched up but she would be able to make it go away when he attacked people so fixing himself makes more sense

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Its going to be so devastating when this batch of chapters ends without this arc finished. gently caress the boat

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

his plan backfired though by giving hisoka a knowing chance of being dead so trying out nen that might revive him

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Bisse posted:

True, his plan failed to take into the account the properties of rubber and gum.

lol but essentially everyone we've seen die due to nen has had it happen fairly suddenly while hisoka knew it was happening and also knew nen could work after death so went for it.

him not being brain dead is a bit dumb but otherwise what he did is entirely consistent with the in universe explanation

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the newest anime covers almost all of it and is on netlfix afaik

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

tbp posted:

I can't get over how good I think that fight was, some of the imagery was so evocative. The piles of bodies climbing on one another to tear down and break a murderous clown flying through the air while others explode around him is just so outrageous

it was really good and i was completely wrong but i'm glad of the results anyway

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

Rather than saying he resurrected himself resuscitated would be more accurate. There is a clear distinction. It only worked because his body was more or less intact and he died from suffocation. All of his wounds are still there and were still bleeding until he used aura as bandages.

you mean ignoring the fact he was brain dead

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i can't wait to see hisoka murder everyone else

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

While they're part of the greed island arc its a fairly natural progression for them being there as part of the wider story. the only bit thats too convenient is the person they're after being on greed island. phinks/feitan ending up there made fairly good sense that they decided to play a game they stole.

they were then involved in a very short side arc providing info about their powers/the city

the fact that they might be involved in the current arc assuming hisoka doesn't kill them all still fits their MO of stealing anything worth stealing

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Checking dates it seems like the chapter appeared online on June 9th but only on June 13th on Viz. I thought they were supposed to be same day as Japan or whatever.

they get leaked onto the internet a week early

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

was nobunaga supposed to be enhancement?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

He is listed as an Enhancer but he is the only Troupe member we've met that has not displayed their ability. Keep in mind Enhancers can also just make objects more powerful as opposed to just being heavy hitters à la Uvogin and Phinks.

especially when they hold particular attachment to said item

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

God it'd be amazing if Hisoka tracks down Nobunaga and is prepping to keep out of range of his sword and Nobunaga just pulls out a nen pistol and gut shots him. Deception is the sharpest blade, Hisoka :smuggo:

this would be some huge fail because nobunaga thinks the power of gum and rubber is easy to deal with

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Roland Jones posted:

I liked Kortopi and his design a fair bit, too. I wish we had gotten to see at least a little more of him before his unceremonious murder. Decapitation while using the restroom is pretty bad. Also Hisoka did something to cut off his head without cutting his hair, so it wasn't just a clean kill from behind or something.

texture surprise + bungee gum

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

hisoka was very specifically shown having a blood lust so extreme he didn't need end beacuse of his murder boner

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

was it ever made clear if the thing melody listened to came from the dark continent?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

benjamin is going to win

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Latest 3 togashi notes

is it that his back is hosed up?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

e X posted:

I don't really share Kurapika's assessment that Pariston doesn't know about the succession war, just because the temp hunters didn't know. Pariston is exactly the kind of person who would withhold vital information from people to create a more "fun" experience. Also, isn't the fact that the journey will determine the next ruler public knowledge. How does the public thing this contest will be settled?

considering a lot of princes are using the succession as leverage against the one they want to win because he is a reformer it seems unlikely that its public knowledge

do they even have the nen beasts at this point? i can't remember and thought they were going to get them later

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Ah my goodness I am so dumb, I missed the final issue of the catch-up bundle somehow. I thought it weird we'd never seen it but assumed it'd happen in flashbacks as each beast appeared.

which chapter is this because i either missed it or don't remember it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i wish reading previous chapters on the shonen jump website wasn't such a pain

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

turns out togashi is fantastically dumb about how he draws manga and hosed his back up and never considered sitting in a chair might help or his wife is drawing it/there is one coming

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

can't killa just make alluka vanish all the danger though

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

Not without 1.) severe repercusions and 2.) derailing his character arc he can't.

its been a while since i read it but i thought the whole point was he could use her power without repercussions

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

The twist to Alluka's wish granting ability is that selfless wishes cost nothing, or next to nothing, or at the very least if they do end up costing something that something isn't the usual terrible price. Killua gets "Free" wishes because he understands that, and makes his wishes accordingly.

Additionally, the conclusion to Killua's character arc during the chairman election was his realization that Nanika was also a part of Alluka, and that he was wrong to see it as a "Curse" or a "Thing" separate from his sibling. Now knowing this, I don't think he'd be too keen on abusing Alluka as a magical "Get out of jail free" card dispenser.

for some reason i thought it was that he gave orders rather than asked for wishes which is why he could do it whenever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

are hisokas cards conjured or real? :can: