Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Pewdiepie posted:

Yu Yu Hakusho is better than Hunter x Hunter by a lot.

It's hard to say which is better at this point, because YYH kind of fell apart at the end and HxH is never going to end at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe

Alder posted:

Does the 2011 anime remake follow the manga completely? Just curious because not sure if I want to watch the entire series then go and read 200+ chapters all over again once I'm done.

So far it's fun reminds me of why I initially liked action/adventure anime.

It skips over and abridges some of the early chapters of the manga, but once it gets through the hunter exam arc it starts taking its time and more accurately follows the manga. You can watch the anime and pick up where it finishes without missing anything important in the manga.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I want to say also, I loving love how Kurapika is just in charge of the mafia now.

He's also a member of the Zodiacs and, by the end of this arc, will probably be chief guard of the new baby king or some poo poo. The guy is going to accidentally take over the world looking for those drat eyes.

Speaking of the Zodiacs, isn't this kind of a conflict of interest for him? Like, he's getting himself directly involved in the internal politics of the country that is funding Beyond's expedition.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe
I don't entirely buy that either Chrollo or Hisoka are going to die here, they both have too much narrative baggage to be simply offed here. I could see Chrollo trying to steal Hisoka's ability, to give Hisoka and Gon a parrallel line of trying to get their powers back, but at the same time Hisoka is way too clever to fall for all the stjupid crap that's needed for Chrollo to successfully steal an ability.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe

Bad Seafood posted:

One of the things I already really like about the Dark Continent arc is how much of a departure from the norm it is. Gon and Killua are out of the picture; Gon and Killua, the main main characters! The Zodiacs, Beyond's expeditionary force, and the royal family of Kakin are all by-and-large completely new characters who've been granted the spotlight. Gon's dad is doing things! Leorio is doing things! The Dark Continent itself is a fantastical horror show beyond human belief! I wanna see how Togashi handles these elements without relying on too many of the series' old standbys.

After this fight is over, Togashi will reveal that it's all taking place 5 years after the ship left port. Next chapter is Gon and Killua meeting Kurapika and Leorio as they get off the boat, Leorio, now missing an eye and an arm, gives Gon a fruit they found on the Dark Continent that will instantly return his nen abilities. He tells Gon that Gin gave his life in an epic fight in order to retrieve it. Gon says "Wow", eats the fruit, and the last page is him with his nen aura back. The End, thanks for reading and stay tuned for Togashi's next manga series, starting the next issue of Shonen Jump!

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe

Wild Horses posted:

i just like hisoka, and hate chrollo more for each passing chapter. goddamn chessmaster dork he is

i'm joking, but i want hisoka to slug him realllllly hard at least once

I don't know how you can hate a guy when the culmination of his multi-faceted, chess master plan is just straight up chucking dudes at his opponent.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe

Serious Frolicking posted:

can rubber and gum melt steel beams? i bet they can.

I mean, not individually, obviously. But perhaps if something possessed the properties of both?

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe
The properties of rubber and gum really are spectacular.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe

Brought To You By posted:

It would be hard to shoehorn Razor into the plot at this point.

The princes all decide to forego the whole Nen-beast thing for a dodgeball tournament instead. Just as all hope seems lost for Kurapica, the true hero appears.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'm having a tough time deciding what I want to see more in the coming chapters: Kurapica's reaction to the PT being on board the ship, or the Phantom Troupe's reaction to seeing Kurapica again.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe
Thinking about it, I love that Hisoka's particular brand of insanity is so well known that Illumi can just show up in the middle of the Phantom Troupe's high-alert death watch for him and be like "Hisoka's my best friend, but also kind of wants to kill me, so he hired me to kill him and that's why I'm joining up with you lot." and no one thinks it's suspicious.

With any other two characters that would sound like an obvous set-up for a double agent, but with Hisoka and Illumi everyone in story and out just accepts it instantly as something they'd do.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

leorio's probably working normally as a doctor, completely oblivious to all of the tense and complex conflicts that are going on around him.

I hope this is the case and at the end of the arc we get a flashback chapter of him in the ER as victims of crazier and crazier injuries keep piling in.

"This guy had all his blood drained out."
"This one's flesh is melted off!"
"Got one floating in some sort of fish tank being eaten alive?"
"Anyone know how to cure a stab wound to the heart by a chain somehow fused to it?"
"We found these guys shredded by 100 shreds of paper and some needles somehow?"
"I don't know what to make of this one Leorio, such a wound could only be caused by a weapon somehow sharing the properties of both rubber and gum."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kild posted:

Maybe in 5-10 years

This feels super optimistic even as a time frame for getting off the boat, much less having enough material for followup anime.