Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I love the sudden nuke. Hunter loves to build up some big fight and then resolve it in an unexpected but strangely satisfying way, and having the biggest baddie be killed by a nuclear weapon is both unexpected and immediately understandable. It's tragic and kind of hilarious. If that was the end of the arc it would have been a bit of a let down, but there was still so much to get to after that and it all took on a different tone. Really great stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

mabels big day posted:

I thought Gon turning into a giant adult man with infinitely tall hair was really weird and I didn't like it, but that's just my opinion.

IT WAS SO WEIRD AND IT WAS SO GOOD.

It would have bothered me more if it didn't have clearly terrible consequences. It also helps that the resolution to those consequences took a great power that we're only in the process of understanding, and will learn more about if we ever get more chapters of this thing.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
You can use him to pick your teeth.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Momomo posted:

I would have been alright with it if it didn't take another ten episodes for any of them to loving die. That whole thing with Pouf making the contest just made me want to pull my hair out.

They were wasting time when they were basically already dead. I thought it was great.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Silver2195 posted:

I liked the Adult Gon thing, but introducing a limitless genie character to erase most of the consequences was bullshit.

Though it wasn't as bad as it could have been, since Gon still ended up with weaker powers.

It also helps that Alluka is a great character. Also, I might be remembering this wrong but I think that her powers are supposed to be related to the Dark Continent, so there might be more follow ups on what exactly is going on there. That's if we ever get more chapters.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I WANT TO BELIEVE

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
There's still a week. I believe in Togashi.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Kurapika's just revenge could have felt really dark if Hunter did conventional good and evil stuff, but it doesn't, so it's intense and exciting.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

e X posted:

The more unsubscribed nature of the HxH world gives the story something adventurous that the other arcs lack.

This is true, and I was kinda annoyed when they decided to spend episodes describing their midichlorians. In the end, however, it was worth it.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TriffTshngo posted:

The longest break was 06/07 where there were a handful at the start of 06 and then a slightly larger handful at the end of 07. The current one is still about 9 or 10 issues short of topping that one, despite a full calendar year of no HxH, because the last batch was closer to the end of 2014.

Time is a flat circle

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Kite is a deeply boring character, a completely generic hunter with no hooks for the audience to care about. There's a good reason why his first appearance got skipped over, he's basically replaced by the ten second voiceover at the start of the show. When he does show up the only thing you can remember about him is his ridiculous power.

This isn't a bad thing, for the most part. Part of the balance of the back half of the arc is that you don't really care if Gon somehow brings Kite back. As a character he's bunk, as a tool for bringing out the terrifying side of Gon he's perfect.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TriffTshngo posted:

Wasn't the stated reason for not including Kite in the beginning that Madhouse didn't think they'd be able to make Chimera Ant due to the way darker tone and increased violence?

YEP! I'm too lazy to dig it up but I also think they said the real Hunter doesn't start until after the exam arc so I think they wanted to rush to the stuff they liked better.

They got to make the ants by changing timeslots, the Ant arc aired late at night.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
:tem: is watching hunter

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/tuyoki/status/686780614750695424

https://twitter.com/tuyoki/status/686780792018698242

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
She finished it

http://twitter.com/tuyoki/status/687857108767903744

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kytrarewn posted:

My favorite thing from the wiki:

I wonder how/why they arrived at that particular ratio rather than just jenny=yen.

hunter is real