Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Late comer to the thread and I can't ever tell if people are joking about wanting Leorio attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
What's that fourth image?

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
My wildly speculative reading of it is that Ging is basically serving the role of "Gon after a time skip" at this point. Gon's story is over but Togashi wanted to show what Gon at the prime of his hunter career would be like and the kind of stuff he would get himself into and that's basically what Ging's DC adventure will be. It was a clever way for Togashi to have his cake and eat it too by getting to see future Gon (via Ging) doing peak hunter stuff but not having to undo the consequences of CA arc on Gon.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Post the spoilies dad gummit

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
I heard somewhere that his nen has the properties of both rubber and gum, so he can probably become a hairball pretty easily.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
If Togashi just did DC as well as he did CA and retired I'd be happier with that as an end to HxH than it continuing after his death under a less amazing writer wrapping up all the loose threads. He's only 51, he can at least get through that.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Mine was Shalnark.

whelp

Rest in peace my evil honors student

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Mulderman posted:

I never really understood why people consider Gon likable.
Mainly because I don't think that's what Togashi is going for.

Gon is incredibly selfish and only cares about people if they can either give him something, 0r because he's attached to someone.
He doesn't bat an eye when other hunters die right in front of him. But doesn't want to kill a serial killer because he can be used for training.

He's hypocritical. He calls out the spiders on killing people, but threatens to kill Komugi because she's in the way of his revenge.
He never knew his father so his main goal is to find Ging to the point of obsession, but when he gets the chance to learn about his real mother he literally doesn't give a gently caress because he grew up knowing Mito

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Gon is a bad character. These elements are what makes him interesting and one of the more "realistic" shonen protagonists. I just don't think likable is a term I'd use to describe Gon.

Agreed, among all the main characters he has always seemed to me the most explicitly more of a prop for deconstructing typical shonen protagonists than a real, fleshed out character. You could certainly read him as a typical shonen protagonist "played straight," but for the reasons you listed and basically everything he did in the CA arc I think Togashi pretty strongly drew him as showing how that type of character is problematic when the world doesn't contort itself to make their mary sue decisions consequence-free.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
That'd really put a bummer on my headcanon this is a hisoka-zoldyck plot to kill the spiders which then gets hisoka promoted to the new monkey zodiac so he can join pariston and ging's clubhouse

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

NecroMonster posted:

he's probably some variety of kos to other hunters, assuming that they are willing to try, and don't just have a ton of other stupid bullshit to deal with right now gently caress first this secession poo poo and now the loving spiders show up what did i do to deserve this

I just saw this post and thought I was in the Bloodborne thread and someone was talking some deep lore going over my head

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Just wait till you see what he does in the current arc

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Boat sinks. Manga over.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

CharlestonJew posted:

Turns out Ikalgo was attached to the bottom of the ship and has finally made his way up to the top

8 chapters of squiderrific subplot, 1 chapter of no context turkeys, then hiatus. As it should be.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
I can only read through page 11 on MS; anyone else getting that error?

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
The rookie crusher, head of the secret fourth crime family, makes his presence known along with his 5 tiers of underbosses, all of whom are named and have nen powers based on talking a lot.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Blood guy is disguised Hisoka using texture surprise on bungee gum to make it look like blood. The IV is filled with shalnark's blood becaused hosed up yo. The mere presence of clone powers makes HxH strictly worse than Naruto and no amount of qualification can ever ever change that.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Knuckle is basically Yusuke and Kuwabara fused together.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Togashi's been dead since the end of chimera ant and the hiatus at bernie's is getting harder and harder to pull off

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
[The deep end] is a podcast about adult swim's history featuring a lot of the writers and their episode on YYH is really good. Fun mix of professional insider stuff and people just excited to talk about their personal formative media.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

dazoner posted:

5 new posts?!?!?!...goddamnit

Oh yeah and the new chapter's out. 45 new characters but every chapter will have Leorio from here on in. Also Togashi died but handed off the torch to his efficient young protege, George R. R. Martin.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
This manga could use a mha vigilantes. Or like half a dozen of them.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
On was hilarious because it just shows the writers didn't look at the source material at all. Same as using Netero as a kind wise old man type.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Rubber and gum have the same properties

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Honestly my reading is that the story following Ging now was basically a de facto Gon time skip

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Not that anyone here ever expects this to return, but we're approaching the hiatus record!

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

No Wave posted:

I think his art is pretty amazing... Not just the turkey, I don't think anyone else could have drawn Gon vs Nefelpitou or Fei Tan vs Lizard Queen like he did. I'll admit there hasn't been anything since CA that made me think he had to be the one illustrating it though.

Hisoka v Chrollo was such a wonderfully top to bottom Togashi experience

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
I mean Togashi dying is probably the only way this gets finished, not saying hoping for it but it's not like I won't read it if that's what happens

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Artelier posted:

hunter x hunter that gets stronger after death??

I have considered proposing this thread just take the narrative from here through play-by-post group storytelling

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Can't wait for the hot takes on the arc everyone else reading knows I'm talking about. Vicariously viewing again for the first time.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
That reminds me, I watched 99 last year for the first time with the understanding it went through Greed Island, but it turns out that's not entirely accurate and it actually ends abruptly like 80% through Yorknew, almost-but-not-quite-getting-to the resolution of the Spiders arc. After that there was a series of OVAs released years later carrying it the rest of the way, but honestly they were too hard to find and I gave up before even getting to Gon and Killua bumping into Feitan and Phinks at the auction.

Just bewildering that the full 99 seemed almost unfindable - I agree with the popular sentiment that 2011 almost fully eclipses 99, but it's still a series that tends to inspire rabid fan loyalty and the 99 series definitely appeals to anyone just looking for "more" HxH.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Maybe my opinions are wrong and bad but I couldn't get through Mob Psycho for even a season I was so bored

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

AlternateNu posted:

You're opinions aren't necessarily wrong or bad. It just means you have no humanity or empathy left in the shriveled husk you call a body.

I am a lawyer so

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Nuebot posted:

Much like YYH before it, I feel like the series found a perfect ending point and then just continued on even though it didn't need to. In this case, if it had stopped when Gon finally met Ging atop that big rear end tree, I would have been happy and content with this as a series.

For YYH, was that after Dark Tournament or Chapter Black?

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Somewhere in Chimera Ant shortly after the king shows up. My reaction was "I don't know when exactly I walked through the door, but I find myself in the room of some of the best poo poo ever made"

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
People say things like shonen is getting more brutal and then I think back to growing up with Vegeta committing mass genocide every other episode and Nappa killing entire armies or like most of the named cast of good guys and ehhh

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
The arc that will cause the best hot takes has begun

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
After you finish the anime you should continue with the manga. There's not thaaat much more and it covers some of the stuff that's been building up since early on, including my personal favorite shonen fight of all time. The current arc is also many people's favorite and very much has a similar energy and scope to chimera ant.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Pitou was drawn much more androgynously in the manga than the anime and so was subject to fan speculation about trans stuff. Kurapika is also very androgynous and this gets lampshaded in Yorknew.

Basically Togashi has been interested in incorporating gender stuff in his works since at least early Yu Yu Hakusho, and on average it's handled... ahead of the curve in sophistication for the time it is published but behind the curve for the time it tends to reach a critical mass of audiences actually seeing it? I'm sure beyond "the handling of that one trans character in YYH has aged like milk" this topic might get pretty divisive pretty quick.

Edit: you sniped one of my points while I was typing

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Isn't the opening just Departure the whole way through?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Is the dub good? I watched 5 min of one episode and wasn't impressed