Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Went to Rainier back in 2014, made it up to the start of the Muir snowfield before heading back (would have gone on a little further, but we didn't have trekking poles and my wife had her low-cut hiking shoes rather than her boots on). That was probably our favorite hike there, but the hike out to Fremont Lookout from Sunrise was really cool, too.

Picnic Princess posted:

Altitude sickness loving sucks, I got a minor but obvious case once on a fairly low peak that I ascended too quickly and as a result wasn't acclimated even at only 9000'. We drove from 3000' to 7500' in an hour and a half then blitzed up the mountain fast as we could. It wasn't anything physiologically damaging or imminently life-threatening, but enough lack of oxygen to the brain that at one point I was too confused to go any farther and started freaking out and shaking. Glad I wasn't alone that day, could have been difficult to get back down :toot:

So yeah, don't make any common mistakes and get that, or worse than that. Not worth it.

The worst I've gotten from altitude sickness was a splitting headache and some pretty bad nausea, but that poo poo sucks. Similar situations both times it happened to me, just pushed myself too hard too fast on the trail after a decent elevation change from driving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread