Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Stoves are important :11tea:. Post your stoves and why they fill that otherwise black space in your heart.

Whisperlite international, get the gently caress out of here with that universal stuff. I want to burn any liquid at any temperature. Diesel, kero, avgas, high proof illegal Soviet brandy. Primus has been garbage for years and I've fixed so many of their stupid pumps it's not even funny. Plus it's quiet and you can do anything you want on it, from fast water boiling to baking. Also a fantastic heater/dryer.

XGK for when I am strictly boiling water in cold conditions at altitude. These days I mostly use the whisperlite, easier on my ears for when I'm tent cooking.

Reactor, when the weather's warm and I'm cooking simply and want a minimum of waiting and fuss. Has a nice hanging kit, great auxiliary stove for hot water boils if you have a large group. I've used it for filling warm Nalgene bottles in -20 C, worked surprisingly well. You can even simmer with it if you're willing to babysit.

Woodgas stoves. I have two, one homemade and one store bought, and don't use them all that often. Around here there's enough access to large firewood that it's usually more time consuming to reduce the fuel to proper size than just burn it directly. I can see the attraction for particular circumstances.

Alcohol stove. I made a supercat, it's fun, but I almost never use it. The light weight is generally offset by the decreased fuel efficiency. It's nice to throw in on ski trips, in that you can prime your liquid-fuel stove with the alcohol when poo poo gets real chilly.

:spergin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I have a jetboil op.
It's pretty cool I guess.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Lawman 0 posted:

I have a jetboil op.
It's pretty cool I guess.

I'm literally shaking.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I use a ten year old optimus stove. It is pretty great until you get above 11,500'. The lack of oxygen starts to cause havoc on the burn and you get sputtering yellow flame bursts. All in all a great stove. I have had no issues with the o rings or the pump.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten
Trangia + methanol.

I know it kind of sucks, but I love it and have a soft spot for this kind of ancient technology :). The reliability and the fact that it'll work pretty much anywhere is worth something.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Lightweight canister stove works fine for me and I don't really wanna screw with alcohol stoves and all for small weight saving. Plus the smell of burning isobutane is awesome

We used to have an old stove where you opened up the valve and a bunch of liquid fuel would fill a shallow dish which you'd then light in a big fireball which was fun.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I'm all about the fireball stoves.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Go ultralight and eat your food cold like God intended

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I have a whisper lite international for long trips especially at high elevation and a pocket rocket for quicker short trips.

At this point I actually prefer the pocket rocket for its small size and convenience.

FreakerByTheSpeaker
Dec 3, 2006

You got your good things
And I've got mine

Verman posted:

At this point I actually prefer the pocket rocket for its small size and convenience.

It works, and it's tiny.

I don't know why I need a different stove.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Diff'rent stoves for diff'rent foves.

Piso Mojado
Aug 6, 2013

hey maybe one of you could help me out with a stove question I've been struggling with. I bike tour a lot and I am looking for a quick and simple way to make a cup of hot coffee in the morning. if that's the only thing I need to heat, what's the best option out there? cheaper is nice of course, but i like functionality > price point.

Piso Mojado fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 22, 2015

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
What temperatures and wind conditions do you usually tour in?

Piso Mojado
Aug 6, 2013

Free Market Mambo posted:

What temperatures and wind conditions do you usually tour in?

I mostly tour in the midwest in 75-95F and generally have good cover from wind while camping.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
You'd do best with a canister stove. Something like the pocket rocket would probably serve you nicely. Pricewise it's not bad, and gives you decent flexibility for if you decide to do more than make coffee.

Snow Peak has some neat little canister stoves, I don't have much experience with them, but have heard good things.

If that sounds too rich for your blood, a super cat stove costs like 25 cents to make, and just runs on alcohol. It would do nicely for boiling coffee, but is a bit slow/inefficient and is fairly wind/thermal fuckery sensitive.

Piso Mojado
Aug 6, 2013

thanks i will check some canister stoves out! simple/fast is better for me since in even the best circumstances, I feel like i need coffee to make coffee.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
There's no shame in instant, but price makes a huge difference. I've been known to prep a morning poor man's mocha in a little nalgene, so I can just add hot thermos water and have my morning coffee while still in my sleeping bag.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Coffee tips:

If coffee and maybe oats is all you need, get ab enamel metal cup and just boil in that instead of bringing a pot

Grind the coffee coarse and strain it out with your teeth; the grounds will sink once fully steeped which will make it easier to drink
Or
Put the coffee in filters and staple them into little pouches, steep it like teabags

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Just buy some Starbucks Vias and add hot water

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
If you drop in a bit of cold water when your coarse ground coffee is done steeping, then rap the side of your pot/mug, it will both stop the convection currents in your mug and precipitate out the coffee grounds to the bottom.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Levitate posted:

Yeah maybe if i wanted to drink PISS

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

If we're at the point of advocating straining coffe grounds through your teeth then I don't think we're being picky anymore

Piso Mojado
Aug 6, 2013

I have a mini camping french press that works really well for straining if hot water is availible

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Levitate posted:

This works and there are lots of instant brands. Some a pretty good and makes it easier not having to carry out the trash

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

spwrozek posted:

This works and there are lots of instant brands. Some a pretty good and makes it easier not having to carry out the trash

Just do caffiene pills, uber ultralight :awesome:

Pass the cowboy coffee, frog man.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm not much of a coffee slob normally anyway but when I'm camping I'll drink anything hot. But those little Nestle tins of cappuccino powder can be good, or maybe some regular instant coffee packets.

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

I enjoy using a hand-cranked oven to cook my prepackaged dried caramel macciattos :hipster:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

whisperlite. i bought the intl but i've never actually had to use anything but white gas in it. I mostly use it to make coffee and boil rice

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I'm obsessed with building little alcohol stoves but have still not stumbled on the prefect set up. Probably going to get lazy and buy a caldera cone.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
My whisper lite leaks fuel and my jetboil performed so badly in Yellowstone it almost got me killed

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Maybe stoves are too complicated for you?

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Larry Parrish posted:

I'm not much of a coffee slob normally anyway but when I'm camping I'll drink anything hot.

Dishwater tea ftw

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

meselfs posted:

Trangia + methanol.

I know it kind of sucks, but I love it and have a soft spot for this kind of ancient technology :). The reliability and the fact that it'll work pretty much anywhere is worth something.

I have this and I like to use a small vodka bottle with a skull and crossbones drawn on it to put my fuel in. Added bonus is if anyone tries to steal my fuel thinking its actual booze, they'll get poisoned

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Build a fire and hang a billy like a man, you pussies.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Generally just use one of the $4 dealextreme/ebay/amazon canister stoves, it works well and only cost.. $4 or so. Looks pretty much the same as name brand, possibly made by the same child laborers but without the markup. About the size of a pack of smokes (universal measurement) when stowed, excluding canister of course

FreakerByTheSpeaker
Dec 3, 2006

You got your good things
And I've got mine

Free Market Mambo posted:

You'd do best with a canister stove. Something like the pocket rocket would probably serve you nicely. Pricewise it's not bad, and gives you decent flexibility for if you decide to do more than make coffee.

Snow Peak has some neat little canister stoves, I don't have much experience with them, but have heard good things.

If that sounds too rich for your blood, a super cat stove costs like 25 cents to make, and just runs on alcohol. It would do nicely for boiling coffee, but is a bit slow/inefficient and is fairly wind/thermal fuckery sensitive.

Took the pocket rocket on a 16 day tour and it worked great. Coffee and breakfast for 3 dudes with a canister and a half of fuel.

Yarville
Jun 14, 2013
Esbit pocket stove, the fold out kind. About the size of a deck of cards and suits my needs perfectly.

FreakerByTheSpeaker
Dec 3, 2006

You got your good things
And I've got mine
Wait, what's bigger? a deck of cards, or a pack of smokes?

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten

Butch Cassidy posted:

Build a fire and hang a billy like a man, you pussies.

Out of snow on a barren mountain?

Stove-related: though I won't go far from home without a Zippo (especially after forgetting it on Mt Adams and begging neighbors for any firestarter to melt snow with), I think this thing is super cool:

You press the button and a tiny hot spark comes out the other end. I haven't used it much yet, but it seems to light alcohol in pretty much any condition (intended for gas though).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes
I like my pocket rocket. Thinking about getting an esbit though for funsies.

• Locked thread