Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BurgerKingBathroom
Feb 1, 2015
This is a serious issue.

I've had my cat for a year and a half and he's the coolest cat ever-loves to cuddle, loves to play, all good cat things.

I've lived with my roommate for six months now, and she babies the crap out of my cat...As in my cat gets to have "outside time" every drat day on our patio and gets a treat when it's time to come inside. Just a small example, but trust-there are many more. It's getting to the point where if she leaves her bedroom door cracked open at night, my cat will choose to sleep in her bed instead of mine. So rude, right? Am I honestly losing my mind?

I just want my nighttime cat cuddles back :(

I should also mention that she likes to give me cat updates when I come back from being gone. Example: "Hey how's it goin? Manny didn't do much this afternoon...he took a three hour nap on this side of the couch and then moved to the other side and slept for another hour. Looks like he may have drank some of his water too. He's so good!"

My roommate is great and does such a good job taking care of him while I'm gone, but how do I get my cat to love his master again?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mathematics
Jun 22, 2011
Hmm, there's really no solution because it sounds like she has a shitton of free time to devote to the cat and you don't. You could ask her not to do that stuff but that would really be a dick move since it seems like she's a nice person.

The only thing I can think of is asking her to close her door at night since you miss your cat and you don't get as much time to see him. I'm sure she'll understand.

Sekhmet
Nov 16, 2001

If you are serious about this, if you have a few minutes to devote every day to building your own relationship with your cat that would be the best way to make him interested in you. Who does the feeding? Don't free feed him, meal feed him, and make sure you are the one to do it. Teach him some tricks if he's food motivated, use the treats and even just toss them down the hall so he runs after them and has to find them. Make time with you fun and don't annoy him. If he's not into socializing at whatever time don't press the issue. Do things cats like, in short, and cats will like you.

Also be happy that you have a roommate who cares about your cat's well being. I have had roommates who were lovely about that before (leaving doors open, letting them outdoors unsupervised when they were indoor only cats, etc), and I much prefer having someone who actually takes care of them to be here all day long.

edit: I work like 14 hours a day and my SO is home with my animals all day long. When I come home I kind of make a conscious effort to remind them of my existence. v:shobon:v

Sekhmet fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Dec 24, 2015

BurgerKingBathroom
Feb 1, 2015

Sekhmet posted:

If you are serious about this, if you have a few minutes to devote every day to building your own relationship with your cat that would be the best way to make him interested in you. Who does the feeding? Don't free feed him, meal feed him, and make sure you are the one to do it. Teach him some tricks if he's food motivated, use the treats and even just toss them down the hall so he runs after them and has to find them. Make time with you fun and don't annoy him. If he's not into socializing at whatever time don't press the issue. Do things cats like, in short, and cats will like you.

Also be happy that you have a roommate who cares about your cat's well being. I have had roommates who were lovely about that before (leaving doors open, letting them outdoors unsupervised when they were indoor only cats, etc), and I much prefer having someone who actually takes care of them to be here all day long.

edit: I work like 14 hours a day and my SO is home with my animals all day long. When I come home I kind of make a conscious effort to remind them of my existence. v:shobon:v

Thanks for all this. I make a conscious effort to be the one to feed him right away in the mornings, but I know when I'm gone she will feed him whenever he starts to meow or when his food bowl is looking a little low.

I do like to use treats and my cat loves them. But I run out SO quickly because the moment I buy a new pack of treats my roommate practically gives him the whole package. "Oh you look so cute, here's a treat! Oh you just rubbed up against my leg, here's another one!"
-_-

You are right, I should be glad she helps me out. I'm probably just jealous that she gets the "fun" out of the cat while I'm still the one that clips his nails and cleans the litter box.

pandaid
Feb 9, 2004

RAWR

BurgerKingBathroom posted:

Thanks for all this. I make a conscious effort to be the one to feed him right away in the mornings, but I know when I'm gone she will feed him whenever he starts to meow or when his food bowl is looking a little low.

I do like to use treats and my cat loves them. But I run out SO quickly because the moment I buy a new pack of treats my roommate practically gives him the whole package. "Oh you look so cute, here's a treat! Oh you just rubbed up against my leg, here's another one!"
-_-

You are right, I should be glad she helps me out. I'm probably just jealous that she gets the "fun" out of the cat while I'm still the one that clips his nails and cleans the litter box.

Well one line to draw is for the roommate to stop feeding him without asking you first. Kitty might do ok with the extra food while he's young, but it's not a good thing to get him used to - he will get fat and be a whiney cat about it. 'Hey roommate, I need you to not give the cat any food, including treats. It's for his own good health. '

I bet that will solve 90% of the issue.

• Locked thread