Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linnear
Nov 3, 2010
I've probably forgotten or overlooked something, but... why does the Reaver turn on Raziel once it unites with the physical Reaver?

And if the Reaver Kain used on Raziel was basically the same thing, shouldn't it have just exploded again?

It's two parts as far as I can tell:
1. The physical blood sucking blade
2. The soul sucking wraith blade which is actually Raziel's soul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Sometimes it's best not to think of it. You have to realize that the reason for all of this is due to paradoxes that should never have happened.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Linnear posted:

I've probably forgotten or overlooked something, but... why does the Reaver turn on Raziel once it unites with the physical Reaver?

And if the Reaver Kain used on Raziel was basically the same thing, shouldn't it have just exploded again?

It's two parts as far as I can tell:
1. The physical blood sucking blade
2. The soul sucking wraith blade which is actually Raziel's soul

This was the first moment since the blade sundered in Soul Reaver 1 that the Wraith Blade was able to leave Raziel and reenter the Reaver. When he encountered the blade before, either Raziel refused to touch it or else it already contained his soul, thus preventing the Wraith Blade from occupying it. It turned on Raziel because for the very first time it could do so, because the two were no longer the same entity, and by absorbing him the two would have become united within the blade, much like how they were united in Raziel's body. However, in the moment when Raziel and the Reaver Soul were occupying two hosts, Cain jumped in and severed the connection.

K-ParAdoX
Jul 12, 2004
...but.this.phone.is. always.off.it's.hook...
Excellent LP. Looking forward to more of this when BO2 starts, though the comments in this thread lead me to believe this isn't going to be as entertaining. I'm pretty confused by some of what's going on, but I dig it anyway. I don't want to question anything until the series is over.

Also, I had no idea until a moment ago that Skylar from Breaking Bad (Anna Gunn) plays Ariel. Interesting.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Rigged Death Trap posted:

So let me get this straight: Raziel is the Soul Reaver.
That much is known.
And its power comes from it being infused with wraith Raziels soul hunger as well as its original vampire magic powers.
Right?

Yes, and yes.
Without Raziel the sword is just the Reaver, because it still reaves, but it reaves blood.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Or the Blood Reaver, as is the fan nickname for it. We saw a little of that against the Sarafan, but we'll be seeing a whole lot more of it in Defiance since Kain spends 95% of the game with the thing, having 'borrowed' it from the Sarafan subsequent to Raziel's disappearance.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Alexeythegreat posted:

You, sir, just created the thread title for BO2. Assuming that it fits.

"My god, Blood Omen 2! We walked right into its trap!"

Also, Raziel has lines for if you try to put the Reaver down or shift to Spectral during that final sequence. Can't remember them, it's been a long while, but it's mostly just how the blade is both tethered to him and anchoring him in the Material Realm.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:
Does every game in this series end on a huge cliffhanger? The plot is surprisingly engaging.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Yes.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yes and Defiance ends with the most annoying cliffhanger of all since the story never got continued.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Yes and Defiance ends with the most annoying cliffhanger of all since the story never got continued.

eeeeh, it's an open ending but there is enough significance to the Defiance ending that I'm satisfied. I'd love to get all the loose ends tied up but that's never going to happen and it's far less of an annoying never-resolved cliffhanger than others I can think of (Anachronox, I'm looking at you)

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I'm fairly certain BO2 doesn't end in a cliffhanger

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 20, 2016

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

double nine posted:

eeeeh, it's an open ending but there is enough significance to the Defiance ending that I'm satisfied. I'd love to get all the loose ends tied up but that's never going to happen and it's far less of an annoying never-resolved cliffhanger than others I can think of (Anachronox, I'm looking at you)

Defiance didn't really 'end' the story, but it was an ending in its own way, and was a satisfying place to end a game since it wasn't really a cliffhanger, so I was pretty thankful it at least had that.

Edit: I was pretty much holding my breath after Soul Reaver and Soul Reaver 2 because I was expecting something to happen to cause the series to be cancelled. My first thought at finishing Defiance was 'I'd be satisfied enough if it ended here.' And then it did. Which is unfortunate, but it least it had what it had.

Ironslave fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 20, 2016

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Alexeythegreat posted:

I'm fairly certain BO2 doesn't end in a cliffhanger

Yeah, but who even played BO2? :p

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Well, maybe Defiance doesn't end in a cliffhanger exactly but it felt to me it was setting up one final game to finish the series for good, which never happened. But I'll wait until the Defiance LP is finished before elaborating.

Molly Millions
Jan 27, 2011

It's not like bullshit, more like poetry.
I beat Soul Reaver 2 back in the day and was at once really into the grim ending and kind of annoyed by it. I skipped Blood Omen 2 because it looked bad and Defiance came out when I no longer had my PS2. I'm excited to see where it all goes from here!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Defiance is a really good game... once you get through the boring and repetitive first half.

Opinions and all that.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Wow, this is really crazy... So there's Sarafan Raziel, Vampire Raziel, Wraith Raziel, Soul Reaver Raziel, and Spectral Reaver Raziel? Raziels everywhere!
Which does raise the question: what is the collective noun for Raziels? A coven of Raziels? A cauldron?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Maybe a host of Raziels.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
The Raziel

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Defiance is a really good game... once you get through the boring and repetitive first half.

Opinions and all that.

Chucking people into wallspikes and over walls is the peak of Defiance gameplay. :colbert:

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Xoidanor posted:

Chucking people into wallspikes and over walls is the peak of Defiance gameplay. :colbert:

I'd say that it is the peak of Legacy of Kain gameplay, actually

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Xoidanor posted:

Remember fighting the weird vampires in SR1 and having to do all that crazy stuff to kill them for realz? I liked that.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I mostly liked running past everything in my way

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

This game will render you hideous: Lets play Blood Omen 2
Or
You are still sane of mind, That will go first: Lets Play Blood Omen 2.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I think I'll put it to a public vote here in the thread once I'm done with Jotun

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Umm, so it looks like Something Awful has finally been blocked in Russia. (congrats to all Goons btw :toot:)

I'm hoping it won't put a stop to updates.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
We have done extraordinary things in my time, but this takes the cake. Good luck, Alexey :s

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Huh. Interesting.
Well, between FYAD and TCC there's nothing majorly surprising.
That said, I honestly thought that no one would ever notice, as this forum is in English and I'd guess that not a lot of traffic comes from Russia. This event, outside of SA itself, will either go completely unnoticed, or generate Streisand effect. The former is more likely.

In any event, the updates won't stop.

1) I live in Sweden and will keep living in Sweden until June, and then there's no knowing where I will end up afterwards because I'm an international investment and trade law lawyer, putting me somewhat outside of the scope of national boundaries as far as job prospects go. I should complete at least the Legacy of Kain series by June (unless another Blood Omen somehow happens, which is not likely), anyway, it's the future possible LPs that may be affected;
2) I post videos to YouTube, and that ain't getting blocked anytime soon (Russia does have an equivalent of GEMA, but Russian recording labels don't own rights to anything even remotely relevant for gaming, so it's a different story entirely);
3) I can just use a proxy server to post updates. Writing up some text and putting a link to a picture (which is hosted on lpix anyway) doesn't require me to use a lot of bandwidth.

The biggest risk that this presents is that if I stay in Russia, somehow blow up on Youtube and graduate to being a channel (which I'm not and I don't want that to happen anyway) with a certain amount of unique visits per day (although I'm not sure what the number is off the top of my head), I will have to take down the links to SA in the descriptions of the videos, as I will then become a mass media under Russian legislation (yes, this legislation is absolutely retarded. Yes, every blogger with any shade of relevance is considered a mass media in Russia). Whoop-dee-loving-doo, such a huge risk and such a massive consequence :v:
And even that is contingent upon someone noticing it, which drops the probability from 0.000000001 to 0.000000000000001

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 22, 2016

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
By "another Blood Omen" I mean an LP taking 6 months to complete, like Blood Omen did

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I still have a few parts of this to catch up with yet (moving in with one's partner takes away a lot of important Let's Watching time!), but just wanted to note that all parts of the Legacy of Kain series (except the first Blood Omen) are currently on Humble Bundle super-cheap, like less than £1.50 in the UK.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
:stare:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The ending so final it was finally ended twice!

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Actually, I was referring to the MMORPG part

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Is MMORPG some kind of channel or...?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
It's an auto-generated channel. Youtube auto-generates thematic channels that group relevant videos. Defiance is now a MMORPG, according to them.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Probably because of that Nosgoth game.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
So

1) My LP of Jotun is coming to a close and the latest video is an example of what happens when I hate what I LP
2) I cannot decide on the thread title for BO2, there are way too many great choices. So there's a public poll instead :v:

EDIT: This is just so the post stands out

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Feb 2, 2016

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Yeah, I haven't been following Jotun carefully, but I watched the first couple of videos and the game seems like a boring snooze fest. You're still awesome in the videos, just the game is meh.

This is coming from someone currently obsessed with The Witness, so take the boring snooze fest thing with a grain of salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
4 Balls on the Edge of a Cliff (A Blood Omen 2 Screenshot LP)

• Locked thread