Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gentle pete
Feb 21, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Christmastime is here, and that means it's time to exchange gifts. :) Unfortunately, some of our friends and relatives aren't too good at that whole gift thing. Let's use this thread to laugh about the crappy gifts that we've received.

My contribution: I'm a professional illustrator. My grandma wanted to get me some art supplies... so she bought me a cheap "art kit" from Walmart. :ughh: Not the first time I've gotten something like that. I'm sure others in this thread will have better stories, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katyiah
Aug 10, 2009
Ask me why I'm not running.
My aunt once gave me a toilet roll holder. I think I was 8 at the time

Katyiah
Aug 10, 2009
Ask me why I'm not running.
Actually the same aunt also gave me a framed passage from the bible and a second hand book that still had the $2 price tag on it

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

my mormon grandma gave me the twilight series back when they were new

:negative:

when she asked later i had to pretend i liked them, and she was like "oh, i didnt think they were very good. i liked harry potter more" and i had even more regret

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

my least fav xmas gift is ingratitude

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
For years, my brother has been lording the fact that he makes more money than I do over me and constantly says, even in front of my art-school graduate father, how worthless my degree will be. It’s as if the concept of me not caring how much money I make so long as I’m doing what I love is completely alien to him.

I’ve been really trying to mend bridges with him for the past year and I decided I would go out and splurge a little bit on the christmas presents. I’ve never had much money so I made my family artwork this christmas, but in addition to that, I got my brother a nice and warm $80 jacket that he needed as well as the swiss army knife that he’s been dropping hints at for months. He gave me a stained fleece that he wrote “fag” in bleach on and a key chain that he got free from work.

After the present opening, his girlfriend comes up to me and says that I shouldn’t use the key chain as a key chain. Apparently the one he gave her months before shattered after she tried to put some keys on it and cut her hand.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Your brother sounds like a horrible person and/or sociopath, maybe next year you can give yourself the gift of severing.

Iamyourking
Oct 27, 2007

Only courage in the face of doubt can lead one to the answer.
Toilet Rascal
That gets posted in every "Bad Present" thread.

gentle pete posted:

For years, my brother has been lording the fact that he makes more money than I do over me and constantly says, even in front of my art-school graduate father, how worthless my degree will be. It’s as if the concept of me not caring how much money I make so long as I’m doing what I love is completely alien to him.

I’ve been really trying to mend bridges with him for the past year and I decided I would go out and splurge a little bit on the christmas presents. I’ve never had much money so I made my family artwork this christmas, but in addition to that, I got my brother a nice and warm $80 jacket that he needed as well as the swiss army knife that he’s been dropping hints at for months. He gave me a stained fleece that he wrote “fag” in bleach on and a key chain that he got free from work.

After the present opening, his girlfriend comes up to me and says that I shouldn’t use the key chain as a key chain. Apparently the one he gave her months before shattered after she tried to put some keys on it and cut her hand.

I think it started with ClemenSalad here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3521167

Iamyourking has a new favorite as of 12:06 on Dec 27, 2015

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

I got another loving oversized jar of boiled lollies this year.

Every Christmas some relative will give me one. They taste like how air fresheners smell :barf:

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

The Saddest Rhino posted:

my least fav xmas gift is ingratitude

Lol yeah not liking something or being given something passive-aggressively immediately puts everyone on par with that WWE2k15 kid, good job buddy. :bravo:

I have family members who will intentionally give me too small clothing to "encourage me to lose weight." I'm slightly overweight but still in standard sizing so I'm not like a hambeast or anything and struggled with eating disorders when I was in high school and college.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Calendars. Old people have it drilled into their heads that they're a good default gift because it's the end of the year and everybody needs a new calendars. What is a 13 year old supposed to do with 5 calendars?

13Pandora13 posted:

I have family members who will intentionally give me too small clothing to "encourage me to lose weight."

Intentionally give them insultingly cheap presents to "encourage them to budget wisely."

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Payday 2. I don't want to buy access to online and a loving headset just to play this game...

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

I can't even remember what I was given, but when I was about 11 and about to be dropped by my friends who were bullying me, they gave me something used and crappy (I think a used notebook with the written-on pages torn out) and then basically couldn't contain their laughter in front of me when I gave them decent presents. It was more about the deliberate disrespect than anything.

One Christmas my well-meaning Aunt gave me a hideous sweater-cardigan thing. This aunt has bad taste in general, but she used to be really close with me, so I usually make a point of wearing or using her gifts in front of her a couple of times before tossing them. The thing was completely nonsensical though, it was impossible to tell which side was the front or back, if it was inside out or not, and how the weird cords on it should be tied. So of course I did it wrong and had to sit through her fussing with it the couple of times i was around her with it.

13Pandora13 posted:

Lol yeah not liking something or being given something passive-aggressively immediately puts everyone on par with that WWE2k15 kid, good job buddy. :bravo:

There's no need to take it personally.

For a story about someone showing ingratitude, I gave my mother Chanel No.5 one year, along with a purse. She later told me that she prefers J'adore by Dior, so she sold it on eBay for 60 quid (about 80% of what I paid for it). I mean, it's her right to do that, but I wish she hadn't told me as I just kept wishing I had the money back.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

gentle pete posted:

My contribution: I'm a professional illustrator. My grandma wanted to get me some art supplies... so she bought me a cheap "art kit" from Walmart. :ughh: Not the first time I've gotten something like that. I'm sure others in this thread will have better stories, though!

Somewhat similar: I'm also an illustrator. One time, a well-meaning distant relative gave me a book of royalty-free "Anime-style" clip art. :sigh:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Not a christmas present, but I got given one of those poseable mannequins that artists use for my birthday. Except he was a couple inches tall and one of his legs had broken inside the packaging.

I'm studying to be an animator right now but thanks for the gift well meaning mom and dad.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Last year my sister gave me a little globe that, according to the packaging, "revolves with no apparent means" - which would have been fine if it were accurate, because I do like novelty things like that. Unfortunately the thing actually has an unreasonably loud motor, so it's pretty obvious how it's moving, and even without the mystery element it's too annoying to leave running.

Someone Awful! posted:

my mormon grandma gave me the twilight series back when they were new

:negative:

when she asked later i had to pretend i liked them, and she was like "oh, i didnt think they were very good. i liked harry potter more" and i had even more regret
You don't have to pretend you liked them, just don't be a dick about it. Say that they're not the sort of thing that you'd normally read, pick out something you did like about them (and there's got to be something no matter how bad the book is) and mention that, make a comparison to something you do like. That way you show that you appreciate the gift but won't give the impression that you'd like more of the same next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I am just so glad we have Amazon wish lists now. Makes it a lot easier.

For me, some years ago my brother gave me a rubber chicken. As in, a $2 one from the K-Mart he worked at. It was maybe four inches long and half deflated of its beads (it was a stress ball rubber chicken.). He said I could use it in my clown act. And yes, at the time I was a balloon twister. Not a clown. And when I did do clown work, it was mostly balloon twisting, a little facepaint, and a tiny magic show. Nothing with a loving chicken that was leaking the beads out.

For my birthday, recently, he gave me a fish tank and stand. That was cool. Save for the fact it was one he was getting rid of for his new 100 gallon tank and told me the only reason he gave it to me was because he didn't want to bother selling it on craigslist. When my mom asked him, later in that year, what he was getting me for Xmas, he replied he had already given me a fish tank, so that had to count for the whole year, right?

I tend to give him T-shirts and movies because we are essentially strangers at this point. Gift cards work too.

• Locked thread