Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart

Suspect Bucket posted:

Victoninox 6in Semi Flex boning knife. Baring that, everyone loves a Bubba Blade

For a fish scaler, I recommend a dull spoon, or any fine cutco product from a thrift store

good post! dropping $$$ on any knife made of steel that's flexible, or especially on a scaler is stupid, and as a pro cook I can tell you that Victorinox, Dexter and Mercer got the stamped steel game on lock, so pick any one of those. If you wanna buy a purpose built scaler, go to Walmart.

If he wants to put his fillet knife in a tackle box, something that has like a sheath or blade guard included is probably good, but man if he kills a lot of fish and doesn't have one already then he's probably Gollum and is cool with just using his teeth. Buy him a whetstone or a Sharpmaker or something

e: I read the PYF post where you said he was just getting in to it, so forget what i said and get the victorinox with somethin like this and especially somethin like this if you wanna look slick

CHUCK WAS TAKEN fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Nov 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I've got a bunch of those Victorinox knives, for the money they're really good. I think the little one is the 6' flexible blade mentioned above, it's got some shallow serrations on the back of the blade which work well for scaling. I got a bigger one because some of the fish I catch are well over a meter long and the small knife wasn't up to it.

I'm still learning how to sharpen them properly, I've got a Victorinox diamond steel and a Lansky kit.

Edit: IMO don't spend money on a nice knife if it's going in a tackle box, even with a sheath it's likely to be damp and/or covered in little bits of fish for long periods of time and will probably start to rust. I just use a cheap one with a floating handle while I'm out fishing, all it has to do is chop bait into chunks and brain spike fish, any filleting gets done at home with the nice knives.

gay picnic defence fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Nov 22, 2019

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart
Nice spread!

gay picnic defence posted:

I'm still learning how to sharpen them properly, I've got a Victorinox diamond steel and a Lansky kit.

I'd say a decent yet cheap diamond steel is the best tool for the job. You're eventually, like over the course of 3-5 years of heavy use, gonna ruin your $12 knife if it doesn't get trashed or lost in another way before then, but who cares? You want something cheap and expendable THAT IS EASY TO HONE/SHARPEN!!!

good knives are also harder to re edge or even hone, and that is just another bad quality to have in a fishing knife

any filleting gets done at home with the nice knives.

That's a luxury, and plus I think you cut up bigger fish than most cold water anglers will ever even see, not to mention killing fish orders of magnitude more often than the dude that is planning to keep his fillet knife in his tackle box. More I think about it, maybe some kind of diamond sharpening surface + workable knife is the best gift after all.

Then again, I think those plastic handled Victorinoxes would be equally functional as the down and dirty tackle box knife and the nice knife back home. Get him 2 of them!

Hell get him 4 and forget the diamond steel. If one of them gets dull, he can just rake the edge on a curb and leave it stabbed in to the shore of the lake/river/ocean like Excalibur

e: for context, I think gpd does some pretty crazy poo poo if I remember right from earlier in the thread-- Kayak fishes 10 miles off shore. Eats sharks. If it's good enough for him, it's probably good enough for Rambo and could easily be referring to the knife in this scene

CHUCK WAS TAKEN fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Nov 22, 2019

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Thanks for the suggestions. Def gonna get him a Victorinox and a small sharpening steel. I'll just order it & have it shipped to my sister since I'll have no check-in luggage.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I need to look into some of these Victorinox knives. I have a couple of Rapala fillet knives that are my bread and butter.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN posted:

good post! dropping $$$ on any knife made of steel that's flexible ... is stupid

Dropping $200 would be stupid, but $30 is reasonable. Filleting panfish is way, way easier with a thin, flexible blade sharp as the devil himself. I have different knives for salmon; it's just using the right tool for the job.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Wait what? Yeah flexible thin is the way to go. You wanna ride the backbone not cut into it.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

The water here has been really stirred up lately thanks to some high winds we've been having, that tends to bring the whiting on so I took the Slayer 13 out to try and get a few. One of the joys of whiting fishing is the vast number of buck toothed ballsack looking toadfish you get as bycatch. These fuckers are in the same family as fugu and extremely toxic so you could probably eat them if you are a god-tier sushi chef but those of use without suicidal tendencies generally throw them back. They have a bad habit of swallowing hooks, and they chew up line too so I just cut the line close to their mouth and then try and yeet them into the next postcode otherwise they will be back as soon as you re-bait.

As expected I got a heap of toadies, and lost over a dozen hooks in the process, however I also got 6 really nice whiting, a flathead (with the last cast of the day) and a salmon (the Australian kind). It was a pretty windy morning and the kayak took on a few liters of water in the time that I was out there.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Fall and early winter has finally come to florida, so I got to bust out something I've eagerly been waiting to try.

Black and blue 3/8oz Z-Man/Evergreen Jackhammer with a black and blue keitech 4" swing impact trailer. I accidentally rigged it upside down, but I'm claiming I was just taking the advice of the Tactical Bassin YouTube channel. :v:
Supposedly rigging it upside down will make it sync up with the motion of the chatterbait

Rod: 7'3" Mag MH Fast Ark Sniper
Reel: 7.9:1 Abu Garcia MGX
Line: 30lb Daiwa J8 braid

Weighs around a pound. I let the bait sink a bit after it hit the water and apparently he hit it while it was sinking. It felt weird when starting the retrive, like it had a big ball of grass wadded up on the blade. I could just barely feel something going on over there, so figured what the hell and set the hook as hard as I could since it was way at the end of my cast. This is probably one of those few fish you can honestly say where braided line and a super sensitive rod 100% made a difference. Later in the day I moved the chatterbait onto another setup that wasn't as sensitive and was rigged with good monofilament line. The difference in what you can feel is massive.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
I've always wanted to catch a fish on the chatter bait, good work! RE: Tac Bassin, I've also seen that tip, but I use it in a different manner. I will rig my Keitechs upside down after they get torn up a bit. I can usually get another couple fish that way. Sometimes. The worst is when you get a short bite and something nips the tail off your $1 plastic bait, ugggghhhh. I've caught fish without the tail though, love those Keitechs.

You guys see TacBass's new DD crank? I ordered some 5 hours after their vid dropped and they were already back ordered. I ended up cancelling my order because $65 for 4 cranks is too rich for my blood.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Ayyyyyy winter fly fishing is hard. Worked for three hours, caught a 6” lil’ guy, then ate poo poo in the river wading back to my car.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

Ayyyyyy winter fly fishing is hard. Worked for three hours, caught a 6” lil’ guy, then ate poo poo in the river wading back to my car.

gently caress, did it go down your waders? :ohdear:

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Dangerllama posted:

Stay warm and get dry soon, Dangerllama. I'm sure it was worth it.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Yeh. Still worth it.

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

gently caress, did it go down your waders? :ohdear:

Thankfully no. My down jacket got soaked though, and I scared the poo poo out of myself, but otherwise no harm befell me.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Anybody take advantage of the Tackle Warehouse 25 days of savings? I got a $300 setup for $200, pretty stoked. Not that I needed more gear... lol

pic:

1/4 - 1 oz mod fast rod with a Lews MB Tournament Speed Spool reel, 20 lb braid on it. I bought this for treble hook baits, everything else I have is a fast or extra fast action.

joem83 fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 2, 2020

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Cross posting from my local fishing forum:

After christmas I made the trip down to Portland for a few days of fishing from the yak, we had a window of reasonable wind conditions which made it worthwhile spending a few nights down there.

First day was just a chance to get the tent set up, buy some stuff I forgot to pack (clearly didn't spend enough because the tackleshop were pretty unhelpful when I asked for a bit of info) and relax. The campsite is free and gets an absolute flogging by caravaners with loud generators, and people who apparently don't understand the concept of making GBS threads *in* the bowl and not on the seat or the floor or the underside of the lid. I came prepared for the noise however (nothing could prepare you for the state of the dunny) and the combination of earplugs and sleeping pills made an early night possible and I was much fresher in the morning for a day of paddling.

Saturday was dead calm to begin with but got very blowy once I was out at the ships, I was slowed to a crawl paddling into it so I made my way in a bit closer in case it got worse and I had to bail. I picked up a squid in 20m and took it for a paddle once the wind dropped but couldn't find any takers. I bumped into Shane during the morning, he'd picked off a tuna in 10m on the way out but no such luck for me. The squid carked it so I needed a new bait, but all I got was a 50 or so cm salmon on my sabiki - a bit of fun getting it to the surface from 20m down but ultimately not what I was after. Later on there was a bit of bird activity out past the boats but it was just a school of salmon. I got a few casting slugs with a 15kg stickbait rod and lost a lot more, I think the rod is a bit stiff for when they start getting airborne.

Day one photos
The campsite

A bit lumpy out wide

Trying out the knockoff gopro

Shane in his AI

On Saturday we heard about a few kings getting caught landbased off the lee breakwall so we made the call to fish around there and under the water tower. It was tough going with the wind up a bit, but I was able to get a squid early on and took it for 4 laps of the area without seeing any sign of fish on the sounder and getting zero interest in the bait. After that I gave up and was back on dry land by midday. Shane got a bag of squid and went back to Melbourne with his tuna.

Say two photos
Sunrise under the water tower

Possibly the reason for a lack of fish - falling barometer and a dodge tide

You get what you pay for - the knockoff gopro isn't the greatest although the underwater shots have come out ok so far

On Monday the conditions were forecast to be pretty unpleasant. A hot northerly was blowing and a few fires had started 20km or so away from Portland. Despite the distance I was pretty wary of them and checked the emergency app regularly because they can move pretty quick once the ind gets up. The trade off was hopefully the hot weather and the change in the weather would fire the fish up. As a precaution I packed most of my stuff in the car before heading out fishing so at least if the campsite went up in flames all I'd lose is the tent. Around midday the cool change with a strong westerly was forecast to come through which meant under the water tower was the only spot to offer any shelter. The day started well, what I thought was a huge lump of kelp on the squid jig started pulsing and after a prolonged tug of war up came a decent cuttle. Not sure I'll use one for bait again, the way it reached up with a couple of tentacles and grabbed the knife I used to brain spike it was far to human-like for my liking. However it was too late for that cuttle and it ended up in strips being trolled up and down the breakwall for several hours before the conditions got the better of me and I pulled the pin.

Day three photos
Pleasant start but it didn't stay that way

The cuttle

Some fairly average weather for yakking

So the result was 3 days of paddling for a few salmon and some livies. Not the sort of return you want from a place with Portland's reputation, although with the water temps still low I was expecting it to be tough going. I was a bit surpised not to see any sign of kingfish, most other trips I've at least had a school buzz me even if they weren't taking any baits or lures.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Got my gear out this morning for the first time in about a year. Went looking for something larger than this little guy, but he was ambitious as hell. Hook wasn’t even set, he was just stuffed so full of squid he couldn’t let go.

https://m.imgur.com/9bGCnGR

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Nice! Are they good eating? I don't even know the difference between sand/calico bass, we don't have them up north

I actually got out for the first time in a while today, too!

all 12-14", they made great fillets

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Those are some great sized sand dabs.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Calicos/sandies aren't bad eats. Not the best, but not bad by any means. I usually coat them in panko and pan fry. A little Sriracha and some tonkatsu sauce... :discourse:

I had a couple of firsts over the weekend. I took my brother on his first half day trip, cause and ate my first legal sand bass, and we got a couple sculpin which were super freaking tasty. No pics unfortunately, the deckhands had already filleted my fish when I had the thought to take pics.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, the calicos are decent if prepared right. We didn’t eat it. One, it was too small and Two we don’t really eat anything out of that back part of the bay. I might be a little paranoid but the water back there isn’t the cleanest. It’s a great place to learn to fish though. I try to take my daughter there as much as possible.

She caught a good one there the other day too.

https://m.imgur.com/a/FLwfsEC

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

wrong thread

Ghostnuke fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 29, 2020

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

We had the 2020 North Shore Challenge over in Portland (the Australian one) last weekend. To cut a long story short I caught gently caress all but a few people got kingfish which along with tuna are the main targets for the comp.

My tactic was to troll a Zman Heroz, a dead garfish, and a small white soft plastic whipbait. Unfortunately it turned out the kingfish were only interested in very fresh squid (of which I had none). The only thing interested in the garfish was a couta which was definitely not on the species list for the comp.

It was still a fun weekend away, there's starting to be a fairly tight group of kayakers who get into this sort of offshore fishing and it was good to catch up with a few guys I hadn't seen in a while. The day after the comp I was pretty determined to not leave without a kingfish and I ended up paddling about 35km from one end of the North Shore area to the other and back again looking for fish but it was all in vain. I had planned to fish on the Tuesday after the comp as well but I was pretty rooted after the effort on Monday so I packed up and went home early.

Some shots of the comp by the organiser:

I'm still getting the hang of this knockoff gopro so some of the shots are a bit poo poo still

The couta hooked up on my gar

...and the aftermath - half a garfish isn't going to catch much

Some nice conditions for paddling. It wasn't always like that unfortunately, and in the end the comp area was restricted a bit because of high winds

We were fishing in the area between Portland Harbour on the left and Julia Reef on the right, I don't think many people made it all the was out to Julia because the strong winds would've made it impossible to get back in time for the weigh-in. You can see from the scale it's a fair bit of distance to cover.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/3...5!4d141.6230361

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

And here's a few fish from todays effort:

Garfish

A nice flathead on a soft plastic. I love weedless jigheads

A sink full of fish. The small ones are Tommy Ruff/Australian Herring (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_herring), about as closely related to herring as it's cousin Australian Salmon are related to salmonids. They make really good bait.

A school of juvenile snapper

Some minnows sheltering under the kayak

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Good stuff.

Curious do you have any information on that tri- kayak?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Good stuff.

Curious do you have any information on that tri- kayak?

They’re Hobie Adventure Islands with the mast taken off. Comp rules are that kayaks must be human powered only so no motors or sails. You have to get around with either paddles or pedal drives.

AIs are pretty expensive but extremely seaworthy, capable of covering huge distances when the wind is right.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

They’re Hobie Adventure Islands with the mast taken off. Comp rules are that kayaks must be human powered only so no motors or sails. You have to get around with either paddles or pedal drives.

AIs are pretty expensive but extremely seaworthy, capable of covering huge distances when the wind is right.

Ok cool yeah would be terrified of getting stuck against the wind and too tired to paddle/peddle.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Ok cool yeah would be terrified of getting stuck against the wind and too tired to paddle/peddle.

You can tack back but because the sail doesn’t have a boom or any battens it’s quite inefficient into the wind, I was talking to one of the guys who uses them and he reckons you can get about 55 degrees into the wind where a yacht would get maybe 45 degrees

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Stuck a fat spotty on my lunch break, I had to pull him out of the grass/rocks like 3 times.

Review: 5 stars, would catch again

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
I hate winter and I miss fishing. That is all

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.

SEGA rear end Fisting posted:

Do you have frozen lakes in your area?

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

:hmmyes:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

It’s 42 degrees here. Celsius not Fahrenheit

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Agreed. We usually have ice fishing but the temperatures have been way too inconsistent to get any safe ice. :(

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

It’s 42 degrees here. Celsius not Fahrenheit

The fish bake themselves.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

The fish bake themselves.

They do. Keeping them cold after catching them is a bit of an issue, the ice in my esky often melts before I get back.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Just wanted to say that I'm jealous of those of you that can go fish during lunch. Nice fish!

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

Just wanted to say that I'm jealous of those of you that can go fish during lunch. Nice fish!

It helps that I work 12 minutes from Mission Bay and that I work for an extremely small company.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

joem83 posted:

It helps that I work 12 minutes from Mission Bay and that I work for an extremely small company.
I respect the hustle!

I work 12 minutes from the ocean and can't ever be bothered these days because my fishing friends suck :(

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Welp, can't catch fish to post now so here's a striped perch from two years ago. I think they're pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I decided the best way to distance myself today was hump a 40lb backpack through the florida swamp for an hour so I could fish for three hours.

Yeah, it was worth it. Decided to throw a big ol' 10" junebug worm since its been in the 80s for a month and I think I landed it right in her bed and ticked her off. No scale, but I'd guess easily 3, maybe 3 1/2 lbs.

Had a buck male attack my chatterbait in almost the same spot, but didn't feel it because monofilament is a terrible line for throwing chatterbaits and anyone who says otherwise is a big dummy. (I'm just angry about losing that fish tbh.)