Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

GreenNight posted:

The show was 80s/90s cheesy as gently caress so I don't get it either.

Rather see another Quantum Leap season.

Daytime TV is filled with reruns of cheesy as gently caress 80s/90s shows. You're not supposed to get it because you're not the kind of person Netflix is banking on watching it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Rocksicles posted:

Stopped caring about lip sync battle when they let singers do it

You mean the second episode when they had John Legend and Common on?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

IRQ posted:

I know awards shows are retarded by why on earth did The Martian win in a comedy category?

JohnSherman posted:

Don't you get it? The movie where Matt Damon is blown clear across the room by a fireball and sustains no injuries other than a couple of insignificant burns is a depressing case study in isolation. If you felt anything other than grief when Damon addresses the audience to say that he blew himself up while literally smoking, you are a monster.

It won because it was well made and funny. I don't think there is really a hard line where a funny movie becomes a comedy.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

DrVenkman posted:

THE MARTIAN being a comedy was the running gag of the night. Even when Scott won he kind of shrugged at the idea. It was like when DiCaprio won for THE WOLF OF WALL STREET for best Comedy Actor.
What exactly makes The Martian not a comedy?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

DivisionPost posted:

From what little I (half-heartedly) gathered, it's opt-in. It's also considered a somewhat laughable metric for measuring viewership, even moreso than Nielsen. So as far as I'm concerned, a lot of this is NBC being NBC (and for that matter, Comcast being Comcast). They're screaming "REMAIN CALM! ALL IS WELL!" as the Homecoming parade descends into anarchy around them.

Having said that, I always viewed Netflix keeping their numbers close to the vest as a double-edged sword; on one hand, this reduces the number of outside factors pressuring them to cancel a good show -- or an experimental show with a passionate fanbase -- whose numbers might not be there. I don't think Sense8 gets a second season in a world where Netflix releases its data. In this world, it's expensive as poo poo and several critics don't know what to make of it, but the people that love it really loving love it, will flock to social media to announce how much they love it, and are guaranteed to re-up with Netflix when the next season rolls around.

What outside factors are you talking about? I seriously doubt there is anyone with an opinion that matters to Netflix that does not have access to the viewership data.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

zoux posted:

I never saw the results of that poll, where'd the thread go
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3754622

Rarity posted:

Yeah, I guess I can. I was already planning on it seeing as it'll be needed next year, I've just been enjoying being lazy.

1. Fargo
2. Jessica Jones
3. Better Call Saul
4. Mr. Robot
5. Daredevil
6. The Leftovers
7. Rick and Morty
8. Person of Interest
9. Sense8
10. Agents of Shield
11. The 100
12. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
13. Broad City
14. iZombie
15. Bojack Horseman
16. Parks and Recreation
17. You're The Worst
18. The Americans
19. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
20. Hannibal
21. Review
22. Justified
23. Game of Thrones
24. Brooklyn Nine-Nine
25. The Knick
26. Last Week Tonight
27. UnREAL
28. Master of None
29. The Genius
30. Survivor
31. Silicon Valley
32. Z Nation
33. Veep
34. Orphan Black
35. The Flash
36. Mad Men
37. Nathan For You
38. Banshee
39. Limitless
40. The Jinx
41. Steven Universe
42. Gravity Falls
43. Community
44. Doctor Who
45. Manhattan
46. Vikings
47. Shameless
48. Rectify
49. Homeland
50. Wet Hot American Summer

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

raditts posted:

Well, isn't this what everyone wanted? The brave new world of a la carte television?

drat it, you beat me to it.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

I think he meant live TV specifically, which is still something available through some cable providers' apps.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

The occasional bits of visual comedy in the first few episodes of Limitless were the only bits of those episodes that I liked. I will say it has one of the biggest tone changes from the previews to the actual show.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Oh Snapple! posted:

I don't think there's anything smug about folks being annoyed and resorting to piracy when the legitimate, paid services they use lock them out of the content they want to watch.

Netflix Canada is not the service that Netflix US subscribers are paying for. This shouldn't be hard to understand.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

blue squares posted:

A foreign 24 would be great

The actor who played Omar Hassan in 24 actually made an Indian version

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, the production values are through the roof. They're outclassing the movie, let alone NBC's "look we have a stage and we pointed a camera at it" style.

The only NBC show so far that this really applied to is The Wiz, which was that way because the staging was designed for a possible Broadway revival.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Vanderdeath posted:

with a hint of "stop being so uppity" because he didn't defend Patron Saint of Science Bill Nye on one of his panels.

That interview was horrific, and Wilmore deserves all the poo poo in the world for it.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Ravane posted:

Read the second definition, then stop being so smug because a rational person would recognize that language evolves.

More annoying than the fact that there are two contradictory definitions for literally is the fact that both of those definitions are circular.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Is there a season 4 thread for The Americans that I'm just not seeing?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

Sounds like another battle is a brewing as Syfy just had a commercial where they want you to call Dish so they don't drop the channel.

I can just see Dish bracing for the 7 incoming calls.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Snak posted:

Oh my god "Houdini & Doyle" looks so bad. Like, not just like it's going to be a bad show, but it looks bad, like a cheap show from twenty years ago.

Edit: it also looks like it's gonna be a really bad show.

Well that's the final nail in the coffin that is my NaNoWriMo.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

quick, fun quiz: without looking it up what's the relationship status of black female marshal (i think her name is...erica?) and white ptsd marshal (think it's tim) on justified

i think erica gets...divorced? and tim gets...engaged?

I'm pretty sure you're the only one who understands the point you're trying to make.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

I love that because channels can't show things on time, I've now seen the preview for next weeks' The Americans before I've seen this weeks episode.

That is frustrating. Though even the initial broadcasts of FX shows are inexplicably played directly after the preview for that week's episode. There's not even a commercial break. It just goes straight from the preview to the "Previously on" segment.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

(unless they were 4 perf 35mm like Seinfeld, which then gets cropped down)

Holy poo poo, why? Shooting 4 perf seems like a huge expense at a time when a large TV was 30 inches, especially for a comedy.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

bring back old gbs posted:

His mom is Daniel Radcliffe's agent, awards or not I don't think he is going anywhere any time soon.

I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean. I can't imagine it takes a very high-power agent to get one of the most recognizable people in the world cast in the small indie films that have made up the majority of Radcliffe's post-HP career.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Snak posted:

Stan Beeman never personally brings up that Amador is basically unfireable because of his minority status...

I don't know why you brought this up considering the context of the scene makes it clear that he's saying "gently caress your civil rights" to the guy he's interrogating, not making a judgment of Amador.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

The Emmys are bad and dumb until my pet show is rewarded then they are good and smart.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Spatula City posted:

aw. Leverage was such a good, low key agreeable show. There's a number of shows where I've idly thought "you know, now would be a good time for the Leverage crew to step in and take down this bastard".

If there was any premise that would be perfect for something like that, it's Leverage. Just have the crew hopping across shows and networks, taking down some villain of the week in NCIS, running into Shawn and Gus on Psych, outsmarting Peralta on Brooklyn 99. It would own.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Is Planet Earth 2: Iguana Boogaloo going to be coming to a US channel any time soon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

I sat down to watch the Young Pope with my SO because of all the glowing reviews here. Did a pretty fruitless search of HBO before I found out it doesn't air for a month.

Deadpool, I'm blaming you for ruining my night. :colbert:

• Locked thread