Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

lelandjs posted:

Well, here's a few ideas (mostly terrible, and none of which are part of my current script outline):

*A cast member of a "Real Housewives" style show (prevents the death of the cast member's rival)
*A reporter embedded in Iraq (prevents a suicide bomber)
*A NYC firefighter on 9/12/01 (rescues someone from the rubble)
*Jeb! Bush circa... nowish (because that would explain how terrible of a candidate he is)
*A shady mortgage broker circa 2007 (has to convince the person he kept into that what he's doing is wrong)

You're not the only one who thought about this. I have too, except it's through the filter of something Alan Sepinwall (of course) proposed: Jennifer Garner as Sam Beckett.

*A mousy office drone on the eve of Y2K who saves her crush from getting murdered in Times Square.
*An emo musician trying to kick a heroin habit before a major concert.
*A gay man at the outset of the AIDS crisis who must convince his married (with kids) boyfriend to come out of the closet.
*An assassin whose target Ziggy is only 50.7% certain must be protected.

I also considered The Evil Leaper, who in this version is Sam's husband. He originally died in a car accident until Sam (naturally) altered the timeline to keep him out of harm's way. In the new timeline, Sam's obsession with her work drove him away, and allowed his mind to be poisoned by a private corporation who has cloned Sam's machine and wants to run interference on any of her shenanigans that might gently caress with their bottom line. This sets up a big emotional fight scene between the two of them in the first season finale. He escapes, and the final scene of the season is Sam leaping into the body of a firefighter, who pulls a little girl named Abigail Fuller out of a burning building while another firefighter stalks them with curious eyes.

So. In case you felt embarrassed sharing all that, now you don't have to be. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Sober posted:

What is the show even about except possibly about white people being rich or making money?

From the 20-odd minutes I've seen? I'm thinking it has a lot to do with the ways masculinity is tied up in money and the harm we do to ourselves and others to protect it. This was a healthy part of Breaking Bad's subtext to be sure, but Billions is positioning itself to dig in a little deeper.

That said, Dan Fienberg's review (don't have a link handy right now, sorry) doesn't seem to think there's much to it overall, and he's seen six episodes.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Sober posted:

I don't want to be too presumptuous about it but I feel like those themes would be better served it if was about either about either a blue collar family that became noveau riche or something rather than what I can only assume is a bunch of white investment bankers doing Wall Street things. It just seems very passe to me.

Funny you should say that because that's something they're explicitly playing with. Bobby Axelrod (Damian Lewis) came from a blue collar background to build his fortune with his own hands and still has blue collar tastes, loyalties, and attitudes. On the other hand, Chuck Rhoades (Paul Giamatti), the US Attorney, comes from old money. He only starts to take a serious interest in Axelrod after he hears Axelrod wants to buy a mansion in the same neighborhood as Rhoades' father.

I mean look, I don't think you're gonna do a full 180 on the show if you see it for yourself, but there's a lot more going on here than "rich people have problems, are still better than you."

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
For anybody who cares, the first five episodes of LIP SYNC BATTLE this year are:

-Channing Tatum vs. Jenna Dewan
-Kevin Hart vs. Olivia Munn
-Anthony Anderson vs. Tracee Ellis Ross (!)
-Chris D'Elia vs. Brent Morin (!!)
-Nina Dobrev vs. Tim Tebow (?!)

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Oh, down the line there's also gonna be a Clark Gregg vs. Hayley Atwell episode, I imagine around March when ABC transitions from Agent Carter back to SHIELD.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

*Invasion
*Almost Human

*Journeyman

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Shannara Chronicles is Alfred Gough and Miles Millar, responsible for Smallville and Into the Badlands.

Just FYI.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I know this isn't about TV at all, but Giant Bomb just shared this trailer for Pac-Man on iPad and it's sheer magic.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/want-to-play-pac-man-with-a-thing-on-your-arm-no/2300-10930/

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Toxxupation posted:

ARE YOU FUCKIN' SERIOUS DIVISIONPOST

You provided easy to use YouTube links. You went for your best.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

lelandjs posted:

Crud, I was looking forward to that. I guess it's pretty much a given that Netflix or Hulu will swoop in and grab it, but I'm curious about what caused FX to back down.

Megan Ganz was quick to tell Twitter that FX was not at fault. Seems there were some unexpected production issues that made it impossible to complete the show.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

muscles like this? posted:

Anyone going to do a thread for the second season of Man Seeking Woman? The first season was pretty fun.

Is the first season up on Hulu yet? Wouldn't mind running through that before I try to hit S2.

EDIT: So it is! Surprised I didn't catch it sooner.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Daredevil's back on March 18.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I just learned that the executive producers of Southland (Jonathan Lisco and John Wells) re-teamed to adapt Animal Kingdom for TNT.

I'm already on board, but if Christopher Chulack comes on board I'll be loving PRIMED.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

James Woods Fan posted:

They're remaking Animal Kingdom with Scott Speedman? Gross.

If Jonathan Lisco's involved, it gets a little less gross.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Guys if you haven't caught up on tonight's Lip Sync Battle do it fast because Tumblr's gonna be LOUSY with GIFs soon. It was that kind of show.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

hope and vaseline posted:

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/jessica-jones-narcos-master-of-none-narcos-ratings-netflix-1201679334/

Can someone explain what this means? Like, is this spyware installed on phones that they're using to track viewership info, and does it only track what's watched on the phone or is it always-on listening like google now? Or is this some kind of opt-in service like Nielsen boxes where they use the data to extrapolate on viewing habits of the general public?

From what little I (half-heartedly) gathered, it's opt-in. It's also considered a somewhat laughable metric for measuring viewership, even moreso than Nielsen. So as far as I'm concerned, a lot of this is NBC being NBC (and for that matter, Comcast being Comcast). They're screaming "REMAIN CALM! ALL IS WELL!" as the Homecoming parade descends into anarchy around them.

Having said that, I always viewed Netflix keeping their numbers close to the vest as a double-edged sword; on one hand, this reduces the number of outside factors pressuring them to cancel a good show -- or an experimental show with a passionate fanbase -- whose numbers might not be there. I don't think Sense8 gets a second season in a world where Netflix releases its data. In this world, it's expensive as poo poo and several critics don't know what to make of it, but the people that love it really loving love it, will flock to social media to announce how much they love it, and are guaranteed to re-up with Netflix when the next season rolls around.

On the other hand, if they're secretive with the numbers, this gives the brass license to gently caress over the talent. If the talent doesn't know their true worth to the service, that's one less weapon in their arsenal when it comes time to negotiate a fair price for their work. (And yes, "fair" seems relative when we're talking about more money than any of us are likely to see in our lifetimes, but still.) And yes, if you're gonna brag about streaming being the future and be unwilling to show the data that backs it up, you can't say it's unfair when your old-fashioned competitors try to call you on it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

zoux posted:

Netflix reported $5 bn in cash on hand last FY, I think they'll be fine.

But I view a presentation from an NBC exec about how actually Netflix isn't that popular with extreme skepticism. Especially given the spotty nature of ratings accuracy when they have a computer in your TV giving them data, much less relying on opt in users phones constantly shazaming the world trying to hear if some one is watching House of Cards.

Don't forget that NBC also happens to be owned by the biggest cable company in the world, one that's been fighting tooth and nail against the sort of free and open internet that allows services like Netflix to prosper without their help.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 14, 2016

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

zoux posted:

Wait, Comcast owns Netflix?

No, Comcast owns NBC. I totally hosed up.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Baronash posted:

What outside factors are you talking about? I seriously doubt there is anyone with an opinion that matters to Netflix that does not have access to the viewership data.

Stockholders, I'd imagine. How's it gonna look from their perspective if Netflix keeps spending hundreds of millions of dollars on a TV show that only ~1-2M people watch? Granted, the only thing likely to matter to them, like HBO, is the number of subscriptions. That's how Netflix makes its money, after all, just like ad sales (which are determined by ratings) is how traditional TV makes its money.

But you also gotta figure: we've been taught from our experiences and heartbreaks with broadcast programming that low overnight ratings are death, and we should avoid dead shows walking. It doesn't quite get through that ratings mean different things to broadcast services and premium services; Broadcast needs those numbers to be high to get the ad money that pays for these shows, while Premium just uses it as one of many measurements that determine the success of the show and focuses instead on subscriptions. But regardless of where a show airs, we assume, particularly in this era of serialization, "If nobody's watching it, it won't continue on anyway, so why should I watch?"

This is all based on anecdotal evidence, but I suspect this is part of the reason why USA renewed Mr. Robot before the first season even began (thus dodging any questions about the show's future at the network if the overnights came in weak -- which, IIRC, they did), and why most people haven't given The Leftovers a chance (kind of a bad example since critics and audiences seemed at odds over Season 1, but again, I think they were bad at the outset). I know I have trouble rolling the dice on Second Chance, and I'm a rabid Rand Ravich fanboy.

So apply that to Netflix. You take the numbers out of the equation, all you're left with is critical and social consensus. Good consensus attracts more viewers, which translates to more subscribers. (Of course, there's The Ridiculous Six, where Netflix had to brag about its numbers because it sure as poo poo couldn't brag about anything else related to that catastrophe.) Add the numbers back in, you risk "Dead Show Walking" syndrome, where the expectation of cancellation keeps new audiences away.

Again, it's all anecdotes and suppositions, and there are plenty of good reasons to make that data public. But I think it's worth considering that possible side of things.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

IRQ posted:

Do you know for a fact that stockholders get viewership numbers? I doubt it, personally. At least as long as things are going well there's no reason for them to disclose that and no reason for the stockholders to ask for it.

I doubt it too. I was referring to a hypothetical scenario where the numbers were made public. I theorized that in that case, there would be more outside pressure for Netflix to cancel low-rated but critically adored shows. Somebody asked where that pressure would come from, and I took my best guess.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
If they're going to do this, the UI they design better be on loving point. This venture is already poised to be a tremendous inconvenience that snubs an ad-free platform with a long reach across multiple devices in favor of an ad-supported one with a significantly shorter reach. And they want you to pay an additional fee for it.

If that poo poo isn't easy to navigate and bug free, it's going to blow up in their faces real bad, and the worst part is, nobody will win.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
What the gently caress apparently Playing House was renewed for Season 3.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

zoux posted:

Eh everyone expects Yahoo to fail.

But you're right, it could be just how it is from now on and we have to pay $3 bucks a month because somehow the Golf Channel scored a can't miss prestige drama.

Timothy Olyphant is...TIN CUP

Developed for television by Kevin Falls

"A rousing and surprisingly tender sports dramedy." -Alan Sepinwall, hitfix.com

"Olyphant is electric in the role originated by Kevin Costner, who directs the pilot with the verve of someone 40 years younger...Peak TV at its most ridiculous ends up being Peak TV at its most enthralling." James Poniewozik, The New York Times

"Molly's a real oval office" -Quinn Mallory IRL, Something Awful Forums

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 15, 2016

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Snak posted:

At this rate what will happen is that the networks that pull their shows from Netflix and then fail to get their own streaming services off the ground will then have to come crawling back to Netflix with Netflix now having the upper hand in contract negotiation.

Nah, they're more likely to turn to Amazon or Hulu. I can see Amazon being the more attractive option, actually, if their add-on service ends up being a success. Like you said, it's actually a REALLY smart idea.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

zoux posted:

Also: am I crazy or is Elisha Cuthbert a really good comedic actress?

You're not crazy, she's a phenomenal comic actress. Underrated dramatic actress too, IMO; I liked her work in The Girl Next Door and He Was a Quiet Man (an otherwise terrible indie film with Christian Slater). She just never really lived down the cougar poo poo from 24.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Okay, it's Netflix day at the winter TCA press tour, which means a whole bunch of announcements and release dates. The big one, however expected, is that Jessica Jones is renewed for Season 2.

Anyway, here's what the year looks like for Netflix so far (bold titles are new announcements):
  • Love (Judd Apatow-produced romantic comedy starring Paul Rust & Gillian Jacobs): February 19
  • House of Cards S4: March 4
  • Flaked (dramedy with Will Arnett as "a man doing his honest best to stay one step ahead of his own lies"): March 11
  • Daredevil S2: March 18
  • The Ranch (multi-cam sitcom with Ashton Kutcher, Danny Masterson, Elisha Cuthbert, Sam Elliot, and Debra Winger): April 1
  • Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt S2: April 15
  • Grace & Frankie S2: May 6
  • Orange is the New Black S4: June 17
  • Stranger Things (Winona Ryder stars in an ensemble mystery about a young boy's disappearance and the supernatural forces that may be behind it): July 15
  • The Get Down (mythic take on the rise of 70s soul music, created by Baz Luhrmann, produced by Shawn Ryan): August 12

I imagine The Wachowskis/Straczynski are gonna take their time developing the second season of Sense8, but I kinda wonder what's going on with Luke Cage and Bloodline.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 17, 2016

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Steve2911 posted:

Is that everything for the year or is there likely to be more?

There's already more; I just updated my post.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Also, Ted Sardanos responded to NBC's callout by claiming that the 18-49 demographic is advertiser-driven, and therefore means nothing to Netflix. "Why would NBC use their lunch with you to talk about our ratings?" he asked during the executive session. "Maybe it's more fun than talking about NBC's ratings."

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Rarity posted:

Jessica Jones S2 is ace news! Besides that I want to be excited about another Elisha Cuthbert sitcom but Ashton Kutcher :ohdear:

Well, funny enough, a couple of top TV critics -- including Daniel Fienberg and Todd Van Der Werff -- claim they kinda dug the first episode or so without really elaborating. However, I started to get a picture of what they were responding to once someone pointed out that the show was co-created by Don Reo, the mad genius responsible for season 4 of the fox sitcom Til' Death.

I call him a mad genius, but I don't have any firsthand experience with that. I've seen one episode of Til' Death from its first season. I was one of those weird, lame college students who didn't know how to score any weed (still don't), so when I was bored, I looked to the TV. I turned on the series premiere because I liked Brad Garrett, and it was pretty much what you'd expect from a multi-camera sitcom about a middle-aged married couple. I ended up writing it off, and ultimately forgot that it existed...

...until I read this article, which laid out just how loving WHACKED the show had gotten in its 4th and final season. Seriously, if you don't know the poo poo they pulled, read about it.

Apparently afterwards he linked up with Two and a Half Men, but any show he creates I'm immediately curious about as a result of that article.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 18, 2016

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Aww, poo poo, Netflix just renewed Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt for season 3!

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Angie Tribeca thread because of course.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Angie Tribeca loving rocks BTW

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
So TBS Is using this opportunity to promote shows that it actually thinks could be renewed, and they both seem...REALLY strange and interesting for TBS. In particular, Search Party -- co-created by Michael Showalter and staring Alia Shawkat -- looks heavy as hell.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
In all seriousness, the three shows they've previewed all look like they have serious potential. They just previewed People of Earth with Wyatt Cenac and Ana Gastyer, about a support group for alien abductees.

Seriously, a lot of this stuff looks creative and cool as poo poo.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

pentyne posted:

So I gather that Billions. despite having Paul Giamatti, Damian Lewis, and Maggie Sif, is pretty terrible.

I liked it a lot, actually. At heart it's a well-acted soap opera revolving around rich white guys, but there's a tiny, tiny chance it has something interesting to say, and I'm game to see if it does.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Life is an all-time great show for me, alongside Friday Night Lights, Person of Interest, and Journeyman.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Gonz posted:

*punches entire arm through wall*

They're still on track to premiere in 2016, but yeah, this has apparently been a tricky show to break.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
David Simon's porn drama, The Deuce, is going to series at HBO. Michelle MacLaren directed the pilot and will stay on as an executive producer, which is an AWESOME combo of writer and director.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Is...uhh...is this about scat? :ohdear:

It's not; I'm trying to remember what it was the name for, but it doesn't matter. End of the day, I'd gladly watch an hour of James Franco taking a poo poo on whoever's chest if it was directed by Michelle MacLaren.

(COME AT ME, GOONS.TXT)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Happy late Tuesday night, boys and girls. I'm only a few minutes into this week's Limitless and tonight they're chasing the sort of depraved serial killer that's profiled on Criminal Minds all the time. Except as soon as Brian starts hearing the gory details of the crime, we immediately jump inside his head and meet the host of his favorite TV show, which lays down some rules for his subconscious: so far, it's "replace all the scary words with fun words" and "refer to any serial killer as 'Mister' followed by an ice cream flavor."

So this week, the team is chasing down Mister Pralines and Cream, who played Cowboys and Indians with his victim, tickled her 40 times, and cuddled her with her own unicorn and I'm masking that because you motherfuckers should REALLY be watching Limitless. The rest of this episode could be a stone dud and I'd still respect the attempt.

• Locked thread