Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enophos
Feb 29, 2008
What are the most interesting "dungeons" you have encountered?

Final Fantasy Legend II ('91 Game Boy) and Breath of Fire II ('94 SNES) both have you shrink down into a person's body (the cleric Ki & the queen of Tunlan) to save them from invading monsters. It's unique to have a living organism instead of a castle ruin or whatever as a dungeon.

There have been thousands of dungeons in gaming - I wonder what cool stuff you've found?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I always liked the Arcane Sanctuary in Diablo 2 OP. I'll report back with more as I think've them.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
i was a big fan of the new dungeon they added for Persona 4 Golden, where your MP is constantly being sapped but the only drops from enemies are MP restore items. very fun dungeon. i also like how you had to use a completely new armour set and couldnt use outside items... it gave it a cool "standalone" feel

Enophos
Feb 29, 2008

Wormskull posted:

I always liked the Arcane Sanctuary in Diablo 2 OP. I'll report back with more as I think've them.

Cool bit is the bad guy there is supposed to be the sorcerer from Diablo 1.

Enophos
Feb 29, 2008
On that note - Wormskull, is your name from the Necro helm in Diablo 2?

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Enophos posted:

On that note - Wormskull, is your name from the Necro helm in Diablo 2?

Yea.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I been wracking my brain but I don't remember many dungeons. FPS levels and Platformer levels don't count to me so it's been rough. Everything else in my brain is just Zelda dungeons and their not really interesting in a standout way usually, not to say their bad or anything but you know what I mean. A Zelda dungeon's just a Zelda dungeon.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The final dungeon in FFVIII where you have your abilities taken away and have to regain them one by one by fighting bosses was a really cool concept

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I sort of like the WoW dungeons that you go back in time or whatever but I don't know if I'd call them interesting either. I used to be really amazed with the Deadmines in 2006 and I think it's sort of neat how they've changed the lore of dungeons since then but, I don't know, I was 13-14 years old then and never played a MMO before so.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

There was something interesting about having to actually deal with going to like SFK as Alliance or whatever before you could just queue up for it, and I'll say it's genuinely interesting this time. The dungeons themselves aren't that special but trying to get a group together and then trying to cross an open space in enemy territory was awesome back then, well at least until someone quit and it was all a waste of time.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I'm sure some other MMOs did it before though but, I didn't play those.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The only MMO I ever played was Dark Age of Camelot and I don't remember anything particularly notable about the dungeons in that game. 'Twas fun though

Enophos
Feb 29, 2008

Pablo Gigante posted:

The final dungeon in FFVIII where you have your abilities taken away and have to regain them one by one by fighting bosses was a really cool concept

FF8 is a weird game, but I've always found the games to have cool end dungeons from the ones I remember:

FF1 temple 2000 years ago
FF4 cave on the moon
FF5 weird dimension
FF6 end of the world tower
FFX ruined dream city

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

All the dungeons in skyrim were pretty badass, as are the dungeons in fallout 4.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Wormskull posted:

There was something interesting about having to actually deal with going to like SFK as Alliance or whatever before you could just queue up for it, and I'll say it's genuinely interesting this time. The dungeons themselves aren't that special but trying to get a group together and then trying to cross an open space in enemy territory was awesome back then, well at least until someone quit and it was all a waste of time.

I got this feel a lot from sneaking into iron forge as a rogue. You're crossing a ton of hostile territory into an actual fortress to murder people while they stand at mailboxes or whatever. Good times

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Being on Vent with like 6 other guys because sometimes you had to have a 6th guy and whispering to each other while your riding your mounts you spent weeks trying to get across the Plaguelands or whatever... FTW.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Also sitting outside choke points to dungeons the other faction has to travel to and murdering them relentlessly

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

The night burning crusade went live I think I killed over a hundred people over the course of a few hours

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

For me, it has to be something from Bloodborne/Souls, OP. Brilliant design.

Arriving at Ash Lake was a special moment for me. No Man's Wharf was very cool. The area underneath the Fishing Hamlet in Bloodborne, or being taken to the Hypogean Gaol for the first time..

*takes a sip of his tea and looks away, lost in thought*

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 31, 2015

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i really love the endgame area in earthbound

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Didn't we had a thread like this bef-oh

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Didn't we had a thread like this bef-oh

have* Didn't is already in the past tense.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Stop bullying me-pyon

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I'm trying to be helpful, and keep you from flaming a potentially deece thread.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
That whole descent from Firelink Shrine to Ash Lake before you could teleport between bonfires was brutal and awesome, especially since there's nothing to indicate there's a double-layered hidden wall leading into that tree trunk from Blighttown. I got lucky and had an orange soapstone message point it out to me.

e: it's hard for me not to consider the whole intertwined Dark Souls map pre-Anor Londo a single dungeon.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Dec 31, 2015

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yeti mansion was good

Enophos
Feb 29, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

i really love the endgame area in earthbound

Almost every dungeon in Earthbound is memorable. 20 years later I still remember Moonside

Do you know whose bones are on display here? The answer is...your bones. My bones. Bone's bones. Bone bone bone.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Shrinking down really tiny in okami to inflitrate the imperial palace and jump inside the emperor.

Enophos
Feb 29, 2008
I want to try Undertale since people compare it to Eathbound, but the fans are creepy as gently caress.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Enophos posted:

I want to try Undertale since people compare it to Eathbound, but the fans are creepy as gently caress.

It won Best. Game. Ever. at GameFAQ's game of the year awards. Nuff said.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Etrian Odyssey games have awesome dungeons. I mean that's pretty much all they all so I should hope they're good.

My overall favorite is probably Petal Bridge from EOU2. It's an entire area in the upper branches of a giant tree with cherry blossom petals swirling all around and "pits" with nothing but open sky below.

Dec 26, 2012

the tower of kagutsuchi in smt nocturne owned

Enophos
Feb 29, 2008

Wormskull posted:

It won Best. Game. Ever. at GameFAQ's game of the year awards. Nuff said.

Yeah GameFAQs, good for info, weird for game appreciation.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
im extremely normal, buy me undertale and ill tell you if its good or not

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

this is silly but the endgame areas in titan quest were sweet. the obsidian caves in the mountain, olympus, the halls of hades in the expansion. awesome enemies in them too

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
I've always thought Durlag's Tower from Baldur's Gate's expansion was good, it's got a nice atmosphere and some interesting puzzles. Even entering the dungeon proper is a minor puzzle as there are numerous npcs selling fake magic keys to it. still need to play the big dungeon from the second game but it's probably good too

Enophos
Feb 29, 2008

owl milk posted:

I've always thought Durlag's Tower from Baldur's Gate's expansion was good, it's got a nice atmosphere and some interesting puzzles. Even entering the dungeon proper is a minor puzzle as there are numerous npcs selling fake magic keys to it. still need to play the big dungeon from the second game but it's probably good too

Yeah! I loved Baldur's Gate. Durlag's tower was the only place outside of the endgame that I felt really challenged my party. Also the cryptic bits and difficulty really encapsulated AD&D for good or bad.

Enophos
Feb 29, 2008

elf help book posted:

im extremely normal, buy me undertale and ill tell you if its good or not

Nah, I saw supergreatfriend play the beta last year. It's a good game, but can apparently make you crazy!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Knuc U Kinte posted:

All the dungeons in skyrim were pretty badass, as are the dungeons in fallout 4.

I actually didn't like a lot of the dungeons in skyrim but the weird Solstheim dungeon was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I actually didn't like a lot of the dungeons in skyrim but the weird Solstheim dungeon was amazing.

Dude come on. He's trolling you nitwit.

• Locked thread