Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop
Hi guys! I looked around but couldn't find any threads that quite fit, so I figured I'd make my own.

What is vulture culture?
Skulls, bones, pelts, teeth, feathers-- we collect things from dead animals. I do it because bones are nifty and fur is soft, some people do it for religious or spiritual reasons, and others because they appreciate the science of anatomy and putting together skeletons is a bit like the coolest puzzle you'll ever work on.

Resources - some websites I use when cleaning bones
http://www.jakes-bones.com/ Fourteen-year-old in Scotland who's been collecting bones since he was seven
http://http://bone-lust.blogspot.com/

I got into it recently myself, so I don't have a whole lot to put in an OP just yet, but I did want to show off some of my collection:

This is my first skull, an alligator. My grandfather got it from a friend of his and gave it to me. I have no idea how ethically sourced it is, but I can't do much about that now.

A coyote skull I bought at the Maryland Ren Faire last year. This guy was really helpful while I was taking anatomy last semester.

My parents own an alpaca farm, and occasionally animals need to be culled. Since there's no real market for alpaca meat, the bodies get left out for nature to deal with. I spent a few days over Thanksgiving combing the forest for interesting pieces and came away with quite a haul. There's also a partial coyote jawbone in there, and some of this may be deer instead of alpaca, I'm not sure.

My husband lives in Baltimore, and had this rat die near his driveway a while back. I thought he'd be completely gone by now, but I was able to recover the entire skull and lower jaw. It fell apart while I was cleaning it, but I'm in the process of putting it back together now.

Midway through the assembly process.

I also have a beaver pelt and pheasant skin my grandmother got me for Christmas, but I don't have pictures of those yet.

Share your collections! I'd love to see what other people have, and hear about how you got into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Mine's really small but here you go
Arctic fox I got at the swap meet

Coyote skull I found in my backyard

Bonus shot of the hydrogen peroxide bucket I whitened it in frozen over

Rabbits from a local hunter. I'll be adding my own come spring time when they inevitably gently caress up my garden. I have some tails I found from some hawk kills around here too but I dunno where they are right now. I think my dogs might have eaten them

Not exactly VC but I take photos of tracks I find around my property. I'm waiting for supplies to come in the mail so I can start making plaster casts of some of the nicer ones.

Coyotes

Grey fox (I think?)

I really need to get a trail cam set up out back, we have so much wildlife it's ridiculous. I'm hoping I'll find some parts from one of these rad lil fuckers soon

• Locked thread