Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kalel
Jun 19, 2012

New thread looks good, pumped for another year of hopeless disasters!

Question: how come neither of the Jungle Book movies have been listed yet?

edit: my bad, I didn't look hard enough :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

Ben-Hur, done that.

:golfclap:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

Dark Crystal. It was supposed to be from the Samurai Jack/Clone Wars 2D/Dexter's Lab guy. But now he's giving us multiple Hotel Transylvania movies instead.

Christ, that's depressing.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

computer parts posted:

Apparently her younger brother has been kidnapped.

The trailer goes through what the first 4 waves are, but the actual 5th Wave is (I'll spoil this because it's really dumb) kidnapping children, training them to be hardened killers, and then telling them the remaining humans are all aliens in disguise, so they can go murder the rest of humanity.

That actually sounds cool. Of course I'm sure the premise gets horribly mangled in the execution.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

They could have played Man who fell to earth, Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence, Last Temptation of Christ, or Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me

or The Prestige.

I saw Labyrinth streamed and it was definitely fun to watch with others.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I saw Labyrinth for the first time on Monday and I liked it unironically. It was a fun and silly adventure. Plus at the end Sarah gets to keep all her monster friends which filled me up with a warm fuzzy feeling :3:

I hate this "ironically liking a movie" garbage. "Ironically" liking things seems to be code for "I like it but I'm afraid to admit it to my friends because I want to appear cool." I'll admit I've been guilty of it in the past but you should probably get over it after the age of 20 or 21, the latest, because otherwise it's just pathetic.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I feel sorry for Patrick Jean who had no part of the Adam Sandler film Pixels apart from creating the original independent short film which inspired it but still gets a shout out in the Razzies category for Worst Screenplay. Also Stan Lee and Jack Kirby getting shout outs for Fantastic Four.

Yeah that really irks me. I saw the original Pixels short years before Crappy Madison's Pixels and it's just a drat shame his good name gets smeared.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I un-ironically love Space Jam, does that count for anything?

(And Twister, although that was more to do with being one of the like 5 movies we owned when I was a kid).

I un-ironically support you finding joy in this broken colorless world of ours

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Roger Ebert posted:

As chance would have it, I have won the Pulitzer Prize, and so I am qualified. Speaking in my official capacity as a Pulitzer Prize winner, Mr. Schneider, your movie sucks.

I remember reading this on a Greatest Writer Disses list or something a while ago, but...

Roger Ebert posted:

Schneider was nominated for a 2000 Razzie Award for Worst Supporting Actor, but lost to Jar-Jar Binks.

...that's just hilarious.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

The new Suicide Squad trailer is good. But the movie doesn't look good.

Hold on, let me remove my Comic Book Movie Bitterness goggles...

*squints*

Yup, still looks like it's gonna suck.

kalel fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 20, 2016

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

The surprise character will be Robin

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

From the trailer you could guess that the plot follows these beats

--superman gets bummed out about killing the second-to-last of his kind, along with a bunch of innocent humans
--clark kent gets an assignment to interview bruce wayne; also meets lex luthor
--meanwhile batman knows, or has an intuition of, clark kent's real identity
--bats does some stuff to get supes' attention/the gubment sends supes after bats
--meanwhile lex attempts to ressurrect zod to kill supes, who he knows is kent
--cut back to supes' and bats' "fight" where supes doesn't actually do anything and just takes the hits
--their fight is cut short when doomsday shows up while lex rubs his hands together maniacally/kidnaps lois lane
--bats and supes get ready to fight when wonder woman shows up
--bats and ww hold off dooms while supes goes to save lois
--either he saves her or she dies
--they beat doomsday while lex escapes
--bats: "hey we should start the justice league"
--credits
--post-credits: lex discovers kryptonite

I can't imagine what surprises they could include that weren't directly telegraphed from the trailer. The only thing that would surprise me is if all of the original Justice Leaguers make an appearance. Edit: Now, I'm not saying BvS will be bad, just that it won't be particularly surprising. Meanwhile Suicide Squad could be pretty surprising in its plot/tone/dialogue/etc. but it has the potential to be a shoddy Guardians of the Galaxy knock-off.

kalel fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 20, 2016

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Well then Snyder spoiled 2/3 of the movie. Which is better than 100% I guess.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Doomsweek? Don't tell me it's Doomsmonth!?! That guy is pretty big, but not as big as Doomsyear!

DOOMSMILLIENIA

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

CopywrightMMXI posted:

loving doomsmillienials. Probably wants the who works handed to him.

I'm sure if doomsmillenials wanted the entire discography of an influential rock band they would just pirate it

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Tars Tarkas posted:

My actual guess on the bigger bad is a post-credits Thanos-esque character who will be the only obvious DC character to fill that role for the Justice League movies.

...Deadpool?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

are you all still talking about avatar itt?

I really want to see that Daniel Radcliffe bomb (also starring Paul Dano). Supposedly they had to turn people away because the first showing was so packed. Of course seats became available before the movie even finished.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Makes me wish I had friends who like to watch lovely movies so I could go see The Boy with them :(

The most fun I've had watching a bad movie was when I saw R.I.P.D. and the only other people in the theatre were three loud black guys. Made what would've been a boring movie experience thoroughly enjoyable.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Hey I remember seeing that paint drying movie on Kickstarter! I almost contributed to it, until I came to my senses

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Madkal posted:

Another worry is that they would kick Waititi off Thor because his vision doesn't align with Marvels (like they did with Edgar Wright) or that they tone his own creativity to make it as generic as possible.

Take a look at this: http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/09/02/the-marvel-creative-committee-is-over

I really hope Marvel/Disney begs Wright to come back and do a movie.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Madkal posted:

It would truly suck if they wrote a book and someone who didn't understand the source material came in and changed characters around to fill in for their own ideal/fantasy. Why it would be like taking a very lovely YA novel and writing some erotic fanfic with the main characters (but being sure to change the names around). That would just be the worst thing to happen to an author like E.L. James.

nice

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

^Thanks^ for the spoilers, fucko.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

good thing butler can basically reuse his character from 300

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

this dual jungle book movie thing is messin with my head man

like at what point are the two movies gonna Avengers and create a shared universe

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

turtlecrunch posted:

e: both adaptations have made Kaa a woman

Kung Fu Panda also has a female snake character. And if I recall correctly, the Basilisk from Harry Potter and the Chamber Pot of Secrets was also female.

Must be a biblical thing

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

He's president of the VR world.

are you joking because jfc

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Jane Gun's "Got-ians of the Gun-axy"

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

So I assume Ready Player Two will be chock full of references to Eminem and the Teletubbies and the Nintendo 64 and insert nineties pop culture reference here?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

I wonder if that means this is an Anchorman 2 situation where Stiller did that to make something else.

Adam McKay's comedy sucks and he's a middling director at best. That said gently caress the studios for forcing directors to make garbage sequels

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Devin Faraci blocked me on Twitter when I called him a lonely miserable drunk on Christmas Eve

so that's my Devin Faraci story

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Tars Tarkas posted:

shia_lebeouf_watching_all_his_movies.mp4

wow

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Tars Tarkas posted:

Real 80s Kids turned to necromancers and have brought back Cannon Films, and are making films called America Ninja Apprentice, Zombi:They Live!, and Return of The Delta Force. This is a totally new company that is named after the old one and promises to uphold the ideals blah blah blah and how dare you insinuate these films aren't totally original ideas that just have homage title names for the "genre appreciating" audience.

https://twitter.com/CannonFilmsLtd/status/700725818830385153

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2016/02/cannon-films-are-coming-back-and-producing-america-ninja-apprentice-and-return-of-the-delta-force.html

can someone give me the tl;dr on this? what was cannon films originally?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Hat Thoughts posted:

I used to ask cashiers if they've ever seen any1 buy one/who it is. Anyways it's old ladies & young ladies mostly as I understand. Archie is sick tho

old and young ladies... so all ladies?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

everything is better in our heads than in execution

to go back a bit, that trailer for Sausage Party was more shocking than I thought it would be. I guess I'm just conditioned to view 3D animation as "childish" so it kind of bugs me to see cartoon meat swear and scream in agony

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

Really it just sounded like a rebranded Clash of the Titans, which I can barely muster enough effort for contempt.

I did enjoy the rebranded Clash of the Titans flick "Immortals," dunno if anyone else here has an opinion on it since it was somewhat forgettable.

Electromax posted:

All that money to film on location in Iceland and they're still using plastic icebergs.

"no icebergs were harmed during the making of this movie"

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Hostile V posted:

I'm just glad they didn't chop the last book into two movies.

I thought there were more than three books? Or that the third book did in fact get split into 2 parts (just without the "part 1" "part 2" addenda)

e: here we go

Wikipedia posted:

On April 11, 2014, Summit Entertainment announced that the third film would split into two films titled The Divergent Series: Allegiant – Part 1 and The Divergent Series: Allegiant – Part 2, with Part 1 scheduled to be released on March 18, 2016 and Part 2 scheduled to be released on June 9, 2017.[119][120] On December 5, 2014, it was announced that Robert Schwentke would return to direct Part 1.[121] On September 10, 2015, it was announced that the two films would be re-titled, with Part 1 being renamed as Allegiant and Part 2 as Ascendant.[122]

also, in researching this I was surprised* to learn that Divergent is the debut novel of the author, Veronica Roth, who wrote it while attending college.

*is there a word for "shouldn't have been surprised but was surprised anyway"?

kalel fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 17, 2016

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

the best non-star wars thing that can happen for daisy ridley or john boyega now is if they get roles in oscar-winning or indie films

oscar issac was in drive, inside llewyn davis, and ex machina before doing star wars and xmen. then again he is an A triple plus actor who is either extremely lucky or extremely good at picking/getting roles in good films

e: my entry into the classics-repackaged-with-zombies genre is "A Farewell to Arms and Legs and Brains"

kalel fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 22, 2016

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

there's a difference between "story" and "lore." the story of dark souls is relatively straightforward, but the lore is vast and complex.

I don't get people who complain about having to read stuff in RPGs tbh. I don't mind reading little nuggets of lore as long as that lore is interesting, which it is in dark souls' case. the lore is there if you want, but it's not required to play the game.

kalel fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 23, 2016

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

what ever happened to that Keanu Reeves teenage burglar movie? did that come out yet?

CabaretVoltaire posted:

For me, Bloodborne is the ultimate game.

agreed. definitely my favorite game right now.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

am I the only one who was completely bored by john wick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

snyder will intend for the fountainhead to be good but it will be unintentionally good

• Locked thread