Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

They are the worst. They always get in the way and make it really hard to hold the book. If you lay them down somewhere, they always get squished and ruined. Why do publishers keep the scourge of dust jackets alive? Just end this please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Smoking Crow posted:

They are the worst. They always get in the way and make it really hard to hold the book. If you lay them down somewhere, they always get squished and ruined. Why do publishers keep the scourge of dust jackets alive? Just end this please

just scotch tape them and don't be a bitch

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Mel Mudkiper posted:

You ruin a book by doing that. A book is more than the sum of the words within them, it's an object full of beauty

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Smoking Crow posted:

You ruin a book by doing that. A book is more than the sum of the words within them, it's an object full of beauty

Cut off the front cover of all your dust jackets and wallpaper your reading room with them

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

Cut off the front cover off all your dust jackets and wallpaper your reading room with them

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

See look, even the forums know I am right and emphasized it with a weird double post

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Publishers put effort into the cover board too. Wouldn't you rather have a shelf of serious spines with shiny lettering?
Just lay out your dust jackets in a drawer somewhere, they're usually ugly or made of gross material anyway.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Only simpletons keep dust jackets on their books while reading them. Pros get some dust jacket covers.

Covers for your book covers, that's right.

December Octopodes
Dec 25, 2008

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!
If it ain't laminated and strapped on it just ain't right. But seriously just remove it if it bothers you.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The dust jacket was originally just considered the equivalent of wrapping paper and thrown away. That's why things like first editions of Great Gatsby with the dust jacket are drastically more valuable than those without.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The dust jacket was originally just considered the equivalent of wrapping paper and thrown away. That's why things like first editions of Great Gatsby with the dust jacket are drastically more valuable than those without.

I take them off and put them in a drawer until done. Downside is I now have some books with hand prints under the dust covers (summer reading, with sunscreen on oops).

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I really appreciated on the Welcome to Night Vale book how there was no dust jacket and all the cover art was printed directly on the hardback cover.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

skooma512 posted:

I really appreciated on the Welcome to Night Vale book how there was no dust jacket and all the cover art was printed directly on the hardback cover.

most likely this was only possible because this book was the first hardback done by Harper Perennial which is otherwise a paperback only imprint.

Smoking Crow posted:

Why do publishers keep the scourge of dust jackets alive?

It is cheaper to put art/design on a dust jacket than it is to put it directly on the bindings and covers of a hardback.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What do you mean scotch tape them?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

he probably means taping the dust jacket down onto the bindings and covers so that it won't move around and get in the way etc.

it is indeed a bad idea because this can damage the book. just take the dust jacket off and either throw it away if you don't like it or save it somewhere if you do.

or better still, buy paperbacks.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Earwicker posted:

he probably means taping the dust jacket down onto the bindings and covers so that it won't move around and get in the way etc.

it is indeed a bad idea because this can damage the book. just take the dust jacket off and either throw it away if you don't like it or save it somewhere if you do.

or better still, buy paperbacks.

Nobody would ever do that. that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I refuse to believe that's an actual thing

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

?

people routinely damage books in way more blatant ways than that. its not a good idea but its very far from the most stupid thing people do to books.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I don't know how y'all put tape on your books but a little piece on the inside flap isn't gonna destroy the book

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I don't know how y'all put tape on your books but a little piece on the inside flap isn't gonna destroy the book

From a collector's viewpoint it does. And if we're not talking about collecting, this is a dumb conversation to have because, in the age of ebooks, collecting is the only reason to a) buy a hardcover and b) give a drat about the dust jacket.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

or because you really really want to read a new book but don't want to wait half a goddamn year for the paperback version

or because hardcovers are about 100% of the books you recieve as a gift

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

If it's a new book over 500 pages you gotta get it hardcover because it gives a tangible sense of accomplishment to read it

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

ulvir posted:

or because you really really want to read a new book but don't want to wait half a goddamn year for the paperback version

or because hardcovers are about 100% of the books you recieve as a gift

As to the first point, that is why I very specifically mentioned ebooks.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
They also prevent damage to the hardcover proper.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yeah sometimes there is no choice, but increasingly many good books are being released as paperbacks first these days.

personally I can't stand ebooks, just can't do it. I find it a lot harder to concentrate when reading them for some reason.plus I just enjoy the objects that books are too much.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
If it isn't wrapped in dead animal skin, then it doesn't belong on my shelves.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

This is why I only read scrolls.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

BananaNutkins posted:

If it isn't wrapped in dead animal skin, then it doesn't belong on my shelves.

Is quarter-bound sufficient?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

skooma512 posted:

That's good, because it tells you that you can throw the whole book away instead of just the jacket.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Earwicker posted:

I find it a lot harder to concentrate when reading them for some reason.

Same. Lose focus very quickly

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Earwicker posted:

yeah sometimes there is no choice, but increasingly many good books are being released as paperbacks first these days.

personally I can't stand ebooks, just can't do it. I find it a lot harder to concentrate when reading them for some reason.plus I just enjoy the objects that books are too much.

I totally get this, I feel this way myself.

But when you end up moving every few years, and you have multiple bookshelves full of both hardcovers and paperbacks, ebooks become more of an option since the entirety of my book collection now fits in one device that weighs maybe 2 pounds, instead of whatever fuckoff amount half a dozen bookshelves and the contents weigh to move around.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

WarLocke posted:

I totally get this, I feel this way myself.

But when you end up moving every few years, and you have multiple bookshelves full of both hardcovers and paperbacks, ebooks become more of an option since the entirety of my book collection now fits in one device that weighs maybe 2 pounds, instead of whatever fuckoff amount half a dozen bookshelves and the contents weigh to move around.

Generally when I move I pick out about half my books that I really want to keep and pack those up. Then I put the rest on my shelves and invite a bunch of friends over to take what they want. Then donate whatever is left.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Get a Kindle, it is the best invention of the modern age.

blue squares posted:

Same. Lose focus very quickly

For me it's the opposite, it lets me tear through books at lightning speed.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Enfys posted:

This is why I only read scrolls.

I also prefer Dead Sea Era vellum. That poo poo does decently even though it doesn't have a stupid dust jacket. Well except a clay pot.

Now that I think about it, having modern ridiculous dust jacket art printed on clay pots would be mildly amusing on my bookshelf. Amazon should sell that, though shipping would be a bitch.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
What's the format where it's a paperback, but larger? That's the best way to book.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Oh, I hate those new mass market paperbacks they do that are the same width but slightly taller. Those things are the loving worst. What are they thinking?

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

cheerfullydrab posted:

What's the format where it's a paperback, but larger? That's the best way to book.

Trade paperbacks

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

boom boom boom posted:

Oh, I hate those new mass market paperbacks they do that are the same width but slightly taller. Those things are the loving worst. What are they thinking?

in many cases these are the result of strip and bind. Sometimes when there is still a large unsold quantity of the hardcover, they strip the books out of their hardcover bindings and rebind them as paperbacks. the purpose of this is of course to save money, since they don't have to print anything other than the new paperback cover.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Enfys posted:

Trade paperbacks

Make all other types of books illegal. These are the proper size and binding.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

my paperback version of war and peace (penguin) has this weird thing with the pages. though I guess with a massive book like that, it might be an advantage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Earwicker posted:

in many cases these are the result of strip and bind. Sometimes when there is still a large unsold quantity of the hardcover, they strip the books out of their hardcover bindings and rebind them as paperbacks. the purpose of this is of course to save money, since they don't have to print anything other than the new paperback cover.

That's not true. I've literally never seen a hardcover book that's the size of a mass market paperback but slightly taller. And most of the books I've seen that have this terrible new format are pulp sci-fi stuff that never had a hardcover release

edit: this is what I mean

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 6, 2016

• Locked thread