Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

:siren:Please no spoilers I haven't really played this game so I'd like to know what I'm getting in when I'm in there:siren: So if you have to say something we haven't seen yet PUT IT BEHIND THE SPOILER TAGS

Resident Evil 5
That's right after the WILDLY SUCCESSFUL AND CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED Resident Evil 4 Let's Play. (And why wouldn't it be? After all it's 100% AMERICAN) It's time to do the next logical step in the Resident Evil series and that's to do so much blow from the wealth you got off of your hit success and ruin what made the original good by adding Co-Op into your Survival horror franchise~ Because nothing screams scary like being with someone else during it. Isolation is all about having other people to join in on your spoopy experiences after all.

The Format
BUT! I won't be going this alone~ I have a co-commentator with me. A very special one that's near and dear to my skype. It's CJacobs! That's right that little rapscallion is joining me on this GLORIOUS? run into the follow up in the greatest game in the Resident Evil series. "But," you ask yourself, "isn't Cjacobs doing another LP as well?" You'd be correct my find thread reader person. Currently CJacobs has a Resident Evil 4 and Evil Within Thread going on RIGHT THIS VERY SECOND and you should probably check it out. And don't forget to like comment and subcribe :v: to his stuff too just because that shows how much you love him.

The Controversy
So by now you might have seen the thread title and lemme tell you, that's due to the controversy that was sparked in the origin of Resident Evil 5. If you ask yourself "Self what is this controversy that this ruggedly handsome gentleman is talking about" then sir/ma'am you've clearly lived under a rock for what would be FAR TOO LONG! And really I'm not going to go too far into it. Once you see the game's setting you might be able to INFER some of what people are talking about. But really it's not that bad until we get further into the game. Then it sucker punches you like your older brother, when you go up and expect a hug.

What you can expect
You might get Cut and Uncut versions of videos due to some technical issues we have due to how GREAT Resident Evil 5 is programmed for... Either that or we've died and hosed around a little too much. NO MATTER WHAT THERE WILL BE COMMENTARY OVER THE CUTSCENES

Videos
Part One: Welcome to Africa Part One: Cut

Part Two: Leach Monster Mc Black Blood Part Two: Cut

Part Three: Let us evaluate the equation TV=P where T is time for any given task and V is velocity in which things travel... And P is poop Part three: Cut

Part Four: Businessman with Standards

Part Five: Quite the humdinger

Part Six: What happens on the boat

Part Seven: See you later crocagator!

Part Eight: CJacobs is getting Cranky

Winning the Resident Evil 5 Way

Part Nine: I hope you don't MINE!

Part Ten: Release the Kraken!

Part Eleventeen: Part one of this tragedy, Part Eleventeen: Final Chapter of this wreck, Part Eleven: Edited

Everything goes horribly wrong

Part Twelve: Fun with Lasers

Part Thirteen: The Lasers and CJacobs

Part Fourteen: Go Green :420:

Part Fifteen: The Zombies have guns

Part Sixteen: Leeching all the time in this video

Dank Meme 1, Dank Meme 2

Part Seventeen: Starts with Penis

Part Eighteen: What a Resident Evil Revelations!

Part Ninteen: This is it

Part Twenty: My shame for all to see

Part Twenty One: EXCELLLLLAAA!!!

Part Twenty Two: Punch punch punch for justice

Zain fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Gimbal lock posted:

Stop resisting, citizen

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

hello I heard a request for fanart

Fish Noise posted:

God, it's like, right there, how do you miss that?

CJacobs posted:

Found a screenshot from the artbook depicting the fight with excella

Zain fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 9, 2016

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

I don't blame you~ I'd rather just enjoy the games I play rather than what other people outside of it do or say.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Capcom games at this time seem to all share the same sentiment. These games are horrible garbage if you do it single player, but if you do it in multiplayer it's the most enjoyable thing. See Lost Planet 2. I only played that multiplayer cause I got it thinking about my friends and I LOVED it to death. It was just such an amazing game and it was super silly.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Wayne posted:

I never got that. I mean, as an example, let's say you hit up George Clooney for money to make a video game during the height of the Darfur crisis, a Mercenaries-inspired game where you take out massacring Sudanese warlords to protect people. The only proviso he has is that the main character is a self-insert. Well, there you go: a game about a white guy shooting black people in the name of peace, and without any racist decisions being made, only stupid ones. I think you can kind of sum up RE5 that way; "no racism, just stupidity." :v:

Now, if for some reason he wanted to spice up the combat by throwing in, say, witch doctors and tribal warriors who howled like animals before they attacked you, that might be a bit more problematic. But it's not like that would ever happen, right...?

Anyway, all that aside, you two are great LPers and I'll definitely be following this one. Hope to see some pro strats like the Krauser knife fight in this one before we stream it. ;)

Edit: Uh, before we joke about things that totally aren't in this game, you should specify: what's the spoiler policy? And you might want to post in the New LPs thread, I only saw this one because you linked to it at the end of the RE4 LP.

Thank you! I just posted that spoilers should be kept to a min.

And I don't know if it's too late to post it in the New LP thread... I would feel quite awkward doing it now right?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Sunning posted:

Fun fact: Resident Evil 5 is Capcom's best selling game with 6.9 million copies. Resident Evil 6 follows at 6.3 million copies. Street Fighter 2 probably beats both if you combine all the re-releases and updates together.

Another Fun Fact: Resident Evil 5's setting, music, and visual look was based on Ridley Scott's Black Hawk Down which was set in war torn Somalia. Come to think of it, Black Hawk Down had a big influence on shooters of that generation.

This sorta saddens me a bit. I don't know why but like part of me looks at RE6 getting nearly as many sales is just mind boggling.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

(Also play with a controller argh why do people expect good PC ports out of Capcom ever argh)

Because Capcom does make good PC ports most of the time. That's why it's so confusing.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

You'd think 1-9 would make accessing things easier but like everything changes constantly with the inventory so you can kinda hit 4 expecting a granada but it's your ammo because you ran out of ammo originally and it switch there instead.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Gimbal lock posted:

Stop resisting, citizen

Hehe! This brightened up a kinda lovely day. Thank you for that.

So there will be an update today, but UGH! I'm so down over the passing of David Bowie. He was a great man.

AradoBalanga posted:

It's more hilarious when you realize that it is about 11 years in-universe between RE1 (1998) and RE5 (2009). So, in the span of roughly a decade, Chris goes from a normalish build into Buff Slamchest.

Also, the "deer in headlights" eyes are making it even more hilarious.
I'm going to try to remember to use the name Buff Slamchest when referring to Chris from now on.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

:siren: UPDATE TIME :siren:

Part Two: Leach Monster Mc Black Blood Part Two: Cut

We learn the thread title IMMEDIATELY! Thanks to CJacobs.

Also thank you everyone for the awesome names~ That bit is really the best and it's so fitting here.

Zain fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 11, 2016

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

You are the worst guest and that's what makes you the best one! Don't worry I still love you.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

bman in 2288 posted:

3) The combo thing Antistar is speaking of goes like this: pincer-formation a Majini. Shoot him in the arm, use the contextual melee with one of the characters to push him into the other character. The other character will then have a prompt to use their contextual melee attack to push the Majini back to the original character. Then the first character will get a unique melee prompt allowing them to perform their most powerful melee attack. There will be enemies later on that are easier to use this combo on. i know this because I have the RE5 guide right next to me... and I played the hell out of this game.

It'll be a few updates before we try this, but CJacobs! We need to try this ASAP!

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

I get legit mad every time they bypass a pile of persimmons and don't slash them into jam.

I think you're making that up. Persimmons just doesn't sound real at all.

Tommofork posted:

To be fair it's in the thread title. Let's Try Not to be Racist, indicating you are already racist and you're trying to hold back.

Also Zulu team was amazing, especially considering what's coming up.

GOD drat IT! loving I swear I have no part of this. Zulu is normal for Z right? I didn't even know!

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Klaus88 posted:

Ditch the Klobb asap.

Bullet hose weapons always suck in resident evil.

I'd say the TMP in RE4 wasn't bad.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Yeah the prior RE4 thread I ran had people arguing over the weapons. It's funny that you are all mentioning this because I do believe that the next episode will have a discussion of weapons.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

biosterous posted:

The best gun is the knife.

If I could get a gun that shot out knives I'd be the happiest person. Krauser Knives specifically.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Klaus88 posted:

It is an excellent weapon, for shooting baddies in the head so you can stun them and then pull out Leons action moves on their infected rears. :razz:

Leon is ALL about style after all. As long as you style and profile you win~ That's the Leon way... THE AMERICAN WAY!

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

:siren: New update coming straight to your interweb tubes :siren:

Episode Three: Let us evaluate the equation TV=P where T is time for any given task and V is velocity in which things travel... And P is poop Part three: Cut

So we've finished up Chapter 1 relatively unstacthed I like to think. DESPITE CJacob's best efforts.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Also I want people to watch the cut version for my pro as hell editing skills! Generally I'm not much for tooting my own horn here but god drat that was like the most perfect edit to ever happen. Honestly all you have to watch is at the 33:11 minute mark.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Yeah the Japanese don't really like the whole head popping off thing. Every version of at least RE4 doesn't have the head flying off. That being said, it's hard to say what the heck went on here? They might have thought there's no need for the extra effort.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

You won't be disappointed! It's either we both gently caress up or he kills us.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

I'll talk with Cjacobs about doing some supplementary videos. With RE4 I don't care for the merc missions and have never really played them. Thus I am the bad.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

:siren: Update time yo~ :siren:

Part Four: Businessman with Standards

We meet Irving today and I don't know what the hell he's trying to be but it seems like it's something from a Looney Tunes show.

Shei-kun posted:

Goddamn that was a good edit. The sound, video, and even commentary went smoothly.

Since I usually just watch the Uncut versions because I like seeing the True LP Experience™, I don't usually get to see things like that. Seriously, if the commentary didn't give it away, I wouldn't have known it was an edit at all.
Thanks! When it came out so perfect it was just one of those once in a lifetime cuts that probably would never happen again.

RealSovietBear posted:

Regarding Ep 2 comment "Isn't Leon friends with his sister?" I don't actually think Leon and Claire are any special friends aside from "yeah, Raccoon City was a thing". Mostly because Leon is a bitter dick. At least from what I remember in Resident Evil Degeneration?

By the way, LP is great so far. The technical issues are hilarious.
Is Degeneration the movies? Because I don't think that's really cannon. But I'm not sure either way.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

CJacobs posted:

"I will distract the man!!"

*two seconds pass wherein I am not on screen*

"WAUUGGHHhhhh my body"

I am the best at video games

You're the best meat shield ever. Without you being so bad at this game people might question my own skill!

Antistar01 posted:

There is actually such a thing as a phlebotomist, if that's what you meant to say. :v:

That room in the mine with the crossbow and dynamite guys on the higher ground can be brutal. I think I always made a beeline for the ladders to go up and take them out first.

Irving's voice acting is so weird. I mean it's done with such conviction... but yeah it really does sound right out of a Saturday morning cartoon.
Haha it's what I meant to say. I was hoping for CJacobs to say "No that's not right at all." But instead he had no idea so I just went with it! :3: I'm evil.

DO IT TO IT posted:

Irving is this game's Salazar, but he sucks because you can tell he's trying to be this game's Salazar.
He's trying so freaking hard. He deserves a sticker! But not really a lead role in this game.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

:eng101: Hyenas and dogs are textbook examples of convergent evolution!

They're a matriarchal society too! Probably because the females have something called the pseudo penis. But I'm not really sure on if that's the sole reason.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

I'm not sure why that would be the reason at all. Many animals with not-penis-having females have matriarchal societies, such as elephants, which are suspiciously absent from RE5.

Imagine... Plaga zombie elephants!

Don't Bulls still have a decent rank in the society? From what I've seen and read the male hyena is treated very much like trash. But that could just be hyena society in general.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

Oh, maybe. I actually don't know much about animal social structures.

Unless it's bumble bees that is. Now there's a matriarchal society I tell you what!

Bees are loving great! Like holy poo poo they're absolutely crazy. If they all died out the planet would only live for 12 seconds. Real fact I've heard on the internet. (But seriously they're a very important cog in the global ecosystem)

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Gnoman posted:

Mines work SO much better in multiplayer, since you don't have Sheva walking behind you and picking them back up.

What? That was a thing? Why would you make her do that? You place them for a reason.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

bman in 2288 posted:

Please upgrade your guns.

Don't worry!! The next updates are for you then! :v:

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Gnoman posted:

When I last played singleplayer, Sheva was either doing exactly this, emptying her weapon into the back of my head (I wound up giving her the shotgun so that she could at least hit around me), or getting completely stuck in the furnace that was about to incinerate her. This WAS on a just-released PC version, so it is possible that this behavior has been improved since, but the way she behaved during your connection problems earlier suggest not.

Huh! Sounds a lot like playing with CJacobs. I don't know if I'd notice much difference between Solo and Co-op play.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Zetsubou-san posted:

So Zain is Busby and you are the crate?

You know that's an apt analogy. Every episode is pretty much "What could possibly go wrong!" in recording format.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

:siren: Holy poo poo I forgot today was Monday! :siren:

Part Five: Quite the humdinger

Well poo poo almost forgot to post this and half the day is almost away! That'd been super silly to forget. So it's everyone's favorite gameplay mechanic... The on rails shooter. EVERYONE loves this in their survival horror games right? RIGHT? :ohdear:

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It really didn't seem to fit the gameplay at all! Just rando on rails shooter section.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

On the plus side it's short, fairly trivial to S-rank, and has no hidden emblems/treasure/files/guns so you don't really need to play it a lot for completion purposes.

It's kind of strange that there are is BSAA emblem in it though now that I think about it. Seems easy enough to hide one in the Ndesu arena.

Wait there is? I thought there wasn't?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

Oh um where I said "are is BSAA emblem" please read "is no BSAA emblem."

I'm... not sure how that happened.

I blame Umbrella. They're generally behind everything. :ssh:

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

What the heck!?! So I made a post last night and it only just posts now? Great.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Alexeythegreat posted:

I saw the post yesterday and it says "Feb 5, 2016 14:09"

Oh no ti was that post I mentioned. It was me posting a link saying "Hey I'm streaming Dead Space!" And I didn't want people to think I was streaming when I wasn't. But I might be streaming more dead space tonight around 4pm Arizona time since mountain still technically does Daylight Savings.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

I ain't afraid of no Necromorphs!

[url]http://www.twitch.tv/zainsa

Continuing the Hard Mode - Plasma Cutter only! Hope to see you all there.

Done for now. Might do some more after dinner.

Zain fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 7, 2016

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Getting super streamy tonight! So you know what that means. Dead Space and Chill. Hard mode Plasma cutter only http://www.twitch.tv/zainsa

Operation stream that poo poo went off without a hitch! Thank you for joining.

Zain fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

:siren: Holy poo poo it's an update :siren:

Down for now :frogout:

CJacobs is being the best worst person ever~ And find out why you should never let him drive.'

Edit: HOLY poo poo! I don't even know why this video has random artificating... I'll try re-rendering.

Zain fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 8, 2016

• Locked thread