Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brainworm
Mar 23, 2007

...one of these--
As he hath spices of them all, not all,
For I dare so far free him--made him fear'd...
Nap Ghost

mind the walrus posted:

My vote goes to LOST, Battlestar Galactica, The X-Files, and any other carrot-waving narrative that promises answers to questions before falling over under their own turgid overextension and hiding behind "it's not about the destination, it's about the journey." They're not even shows, they're con games.

Seconded. You know you're in trouble when the story expands to cover another cohort of characters, another period of time (through flashbacks or flash-forwards), or an alternative world logic (like rule-bending religion, magic, or technology).

It blows me away whenever I see it because plotting is far and away the easiest part of writing; all you have to do is know something and then not say what it is. Once the audience knows everything the story's over. You can even end the story before the audience knows everything and the story will turn out fine or occasionally really well.

You can even make the thing the audience doesn't know godawful boring and trite and still come out okay: Rachel's looking for her black shoes -- no, not those, the flats with the cap toe -- and it turns out they're under the coffee table. Or maybe hallucinating cap-toed flats is the byproduct of a childhood head injury. Whatever. You can literally make up anything, and it will work as long as you know what it is.

So yeah. There are a lot of reasons to poo poo on a show like Mr. Belvedere, but at least it gave the audience what it promised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
lost was good

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

one of the worst reality shows: lord of the flies, but in the wild west

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Monkey Fracas posted:

Remember Mind of Mencia?

It was the first in a long line of desperate attempts by Comedy Central to replace Dave Chappelle's sketch-based show after he went crazy and refused to like sell out any longer man

hoooo boy it was bad

Hot garbage yeah cringe in a bad way crap.

Lets face it, most tv is crap, and most of the rest isn't my cup of tea. Remember Man from Atlantis? I do. Its contributed to why I mostly just watch sports now.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
If GBS were a TV show, it would be the worst ever.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Sex and the city

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

pr0p posted:

Touched by an Angel

:cripes:

yes

GastonEatTheEggs
Nov 7, 2012

Never saw it, but Outsourced looked like the worst show ever from the trailers.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
mind of mencia was so bad that comedy central doesn't even show the reruns. Every few weeks Chappells show will be on for an hour in the afternoon or late night.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
The attempt to turn Car Talk into an animated series on PBS in 2008. No one asked for this.

There seems to be consensus here on the Real Housewives franchise, though I was intrigued by Camille Paglia gushing about it for pages and comparing the creator to Fassbinder. Possibly straight-faced satire.

Pop show I didn't get: My Name Is Earl.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Marv Hushman posted:

The attempt to turn Car Talk into an animated series on PBS in 2008. No one asked for this.

There seems to be consensus here on the Real Housewives franchise, though I was intrigued by Camille Paglia gushing about it for pages and comparing the creator to Fassbinder. Possibly straight-faced satire.

Pop show I didn't get: My Name Is Earl.

that's because they're busy showing reruns of mtv shows. which are horrible. who watches guy code and why?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Doc Block posted:

SGU was trying to be dark and gritty like Battlestar Galactica. But in doing so it alienated the fans accustomed to the cheesy garbage that was the other two Stargate shows. Never mind that a bunch of the people involved were the same hamfisted clowns who made the other two Stargate shows, and so SGU was a show trying to be something its creators didn't have the talent to deliver, for an audience that didn't want what they were selling.

And then there was the obvious audience insert character, the fat slob nerd who only gets to go because he's good at video games and is secretly, deep down, an under appreciated genius.

I think in some way if you go back to the original SG1, despite the sort of camp factor of it, it was one of the few shows that had some sort of thing that audiences thought of as a consistent military feel. By the time SG:U rolled around, I think in addition to trying to emulate the BSG feel, I think audiences were seeing military action in a different light. It was no longer clean-cut heroic professionalism, but sort of a grim badass grittiness post-9/11 and the rise of video game FPS.

The core Stargate audience, on the other hand, still wanted the more light 90s Star Trek sci-fi feel of the franchise?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Mr. Belding posted:

Your post had this one part that was good and unintentionally funny so I thought you should celebrate that small victory before going back to pretending to be a dwarf or whatever.

I don't get it. :shrug:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Luvcow posted:

lost was good

I had a blast watching through it the first time but hadn't watched it since it ended in 2010. After years of the internet telling me how much it sucked I decided to watch through it again recently to see if I was delusional or something before, and convinced some friends to watch it with me for their first time. Maybe it helps knowing what will happen, but during my rewatch it didn't feel like a massive, directionless, carrot-waving mess. It's not perfect by any means - my biggest complaint was that there's just too much filler - but there are more than enough great moments to cancel out the bad. My friends agreed that there was too much filler but overall they enjoyed watching it and didn't feel like it was a waste of time to watch. Perhaps the ability to binge watch removes a lot of the frustration people had with the show.

I strongly believe that if there was ever a show that deserved a condensed and slightly reworked "director's cut", Lost is it.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JediTalentAgent posted:

I think in some way if you go back to the original SG1, despite the sort of camp factor of it, it was one of the few shows that had some sort of thing that audiences thought of as a consistent military feel. By the time SG:U rolled around, I think in addition to trying to emulate the BSG feel, I think audiences were seeing military action in a different light. It was no longer clean-cut heroic professionalism, but sort of a grim badass grittiness post-9/11 and the rise of video game FPS.

The core Stargate audience, on the other hand, still wanted the more light 90s Star Trek sci-fi feel of the franchise?

I used to watch the show when it was on Showtime regularly. When it jumped to Scifi I immediately gave up: I had just watched Sci-Fi channel gently caress up GvsE and it was churning out an endless line of shows with hero characters that all looked absolutely identical, and I blew off Farscape unfairly as that "Puppet show."

From what I've seen of every single thing to happen to the franchise at that point I never felt like it'd be a good idea to mush on. I saw glimpses of stuff later and it didn't have a military feel at all, and felt so.. typical bad sci-fi.

Planarch posted:

Never saw it, but Outsourced looked like the worst show ever from the trailers.

It was terrible, mostly because it managed to be truly offensive to everyone (while trying to be the reverse). Everything from "haha everyone lost their jobs so the company could save money hiring people who solve every problem with cue cards" to "Oh look it's that super brilliant happy Movie India (TM) that doesn't loving exist." Literally everyone hated it for a different reason.

From what I understand the movie was more of a drama but focused heavily on arranged marriage and other India bullshit, at least.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jan 7, 2016

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Why'd people like Cheers so much? I'm on the third season and everyone is insufferable.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Egbert Souse posted:

Why'd people like Cheers so much? I'm on the third season and everyone is insufferable.

Back at the time it was fresh and new. It was rough and hardly unseen before, like Taxi but set in a bar.
Can't judge a show 40 years later, otherwise we would be making GBS threads on the Munsters or Beverly Hillbillies here.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Blazing Ownager posted:

It was terrible, mostly because it managed to be truly offensive to everyone (while trying to be the reverse). Everything from "haha everyone lost their jobs so the company could save money hiring people who solve every problem with cue cards" to "Oh look it's that super brilliant happy Movie India (TM) that doesn't loving exist." Literally everyone hated it for a different reason.

From what I understand the movie was more of a drama but focused heavily on arranged marriage and other India bullshit, at least.

The best part of Outsourced was when they stole an elephant for a wedding and hired a transvestite prostitute.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Egbert Souse posted:

Takes a while to hit its stride (Woodys arrival helps), but then I like a lot of these shows goons apparently hate so what the hell do I know? :shrug:

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Lord of Pie posted:

Pretty much everything on TLC is awful and I know my mom's gonna be watching that poo poo when I visit. Long Island Medium is offensive to multiple senses.

Also all the various redneck "reality" shows like Duck Dynasty, Swamp People, Ax Men, the Ax Men spinoff with that backwoods Louisiana retard, etc. that are all heavily scripted and still manage to be bad.

Then there's the various Duggar shows that aren't scripted because none of them learned to read in homeschool so you get the purestrain crazy

Any show on HGTV where realtors are dealiing with stupid rich people.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

oldpainless posted:

Sex and the city

I'm going to defend this one. The early seasons were actually pretty good, although they look horribly dated now. It had some pretty bold female characters that have inspired many other shows, and they covered a lot of stuff that was controversial by 90s standards.

The later seasons and movies are really loving obnoxious though.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I know I'm picking at low hanging fruit here, but literally any show on Food Network that involves a competition of some kind. Which is like 80% of their programming. My mom can't get enough of that poo poo and it's on the tv 95% of the time when I visit.

Like, how is that a thing? I get it stems from Iron Chef and cooking competitions like chili cook offs and poo poo, but how are there so many shows about people hurriedly cooking and stressing out about what ingredients to use for things? It must appeal to the middle aged white woman marker or something.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

discounting reality tv, frasier is the worst and least funny garbage

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

My friends and I frequently have a few beers and watch Arrow. For like four years now it has consistently had the worst acting and plot on TV, and is consistently funny. It is completely ducking mind boggling that anyone would ever seriously watch that show

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

notZaar posted:

For my money it's 12 oz. Mouse.
Adult Swim commissioned a lot of lovely low effort shows, but that one was the worst one.

hell no

that show owned

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

facebook jihad posted:

I know I'm picking at low hanging fruit here, but literally any show on Food Network that involves a competition of some kind. Which is like 80% of their programming. My mom can't get enough of that poo poo and it's on the tv 95% of the time when I visit.

Like, how is that a thing? I get it stems from Iron Chef and cooking competitions like chili cook offs and poo poo, but how are there so many shows about people hurriedly cooking and stressing out about what ingredients to use for things? It must appeal to the middle aged white woman marker or something.

Chopped was fun for a while until I figured out that you could almost certainly tell who was going to win, or at least make it to the final round, by what the editors emphasized in the contestants' biographical intros.

You want to see some dogshit on the Food Network, check out Mystery Diners, hoooo boy

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Wow. Guess we'll never get married.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Calico Heart posted:

My friends and I frequently have a few beers and watch Arrow. For like four years now it has consistently had the worst acting and plot on TV, and is consistently funny. It is completely ducking mind boggling that anyone would ever seriously watch that show

I unironically love how terrible Arrow is. It fills the same niche Star Trek did for me-- criminally good-looking people dressed up in demeaning colorful ways doing their damndest to make a low to mid-range TV budget realize ideas way too grandiose for even summer blockbuster budgets. Knowing how well it actually realizes the cheesy soap opera idiocy of its source material is icing on the cake.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Fraiser is in many ways the spiritual predecessor to The Big Bang Theory in that it's all about supposedly smart people written by average people with a target audience of dumb people.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Frasier is Friends with half the people and in a posh accent.

There, your mind is loving blown.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014

Marv Hushman posted:

The attempt to turn Car Talk into an animated series on PBS in 2008. No one asked for this

I always wished someone would have called in with some bs car issue just to bring that up.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

mind the walrus posted:

Fraiser is in many ways the spiritual predecessor to The Big Bang Theory in that it's all about supposedly smart people written by average people with a target audience of dumb people.

Not really, I mean Frasier and Niles are supposed to be educated and well-read but most of their jokes are centered on them being snobby and ridiculous. It's the same type of (often lowbrow) humor that's in Cheers, with spot-on comedic timing.

It went on too long but the early seasons were really tight. Also who the hell doesn't love Maris.

The real question is, which is worse: Joey, or Melissa and Joey?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
i never watched it when it was on but any reruns I see of Friends are pretty bad and that show was popular as gently caress in the day

It's like there's nothing wrong with it in that they most likely accomplished what they set out to do but it is absolutely shallow and boring in the worst way possible

there's just nothing there

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I said LOST before because I discounted reality TV. I don't consider reality TV an actual form of media, it's just noise

so barring reality TV, yes LOST is the worst

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Nah, you lot are saying LOST and BSG are poo poo just because of the ending.
And sure the endings were poo poo.

But those two shows had at least half of their entire run being gripping on the seat original good stuff.

You can't compare these to shows like Friends, Frasier, BBT, which has the same repetitive stuff every episode.

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

Jake 2.0

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

happyhippy posted:

Back at the time it was fresh and new. It was rough and hardly unseen before, like Taxi but set in a bar.
Can't judge a show 40 years later, otherwise we would be making GBS threads on the Munsters or Beverly Hillbillies here.

The Munsters was a good show.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
All the poo poo my parents watch -- Blue Bloods, The Mentalist, Everybody Loves Raymond, and that new Tim Allen dogshit.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

happyhippy posted:

The Adam's Family owned the Munsters even 40 years ago.

Also I don't know. You can't judge effects, certain stylistic things, different views on life.. but a lot of things still hold up. I can still watch Twilight Zone or Hitchcock's series and find myself ignoring the 50s problems because they were well done.

ED: Am I the only person who has the hardest time watching stuff from the 70s, because the cameras blew loving chunks in the 70s? You went from this super crisp, almost HD looking black & white of the 60s to this muddy-fuzz grain 70s filmstock and that poo poo didn't get sorted out until the mid 80s, it's the one "product of the times" that drives me kind of nuts.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 7, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Rape Stink posted:

All the poo poo my parents watch -- Blue Bloods, The Mentalist, Everybody Loves Raymond, and that new Tim Allen dogshit.

My roommate watches that show all the time. And he hates it. I have no idea why he watches it just to piss him off, but to each their own I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Solice Kirsk posted:

My roommate watches that show all the time. And he hates it. I have no idea why he watches it just to piss him off, but to each their own I guess.

There was an SA poster that was going through every episode and describing how loving bad it was, but he broke after the first season and faded away

• Locked thread