Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

new long walk thread is up, new tdome thread going up soon so delete your stories now if you're going to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curlingiron
Dec 15, 2006

b l o o p

docbeard posted:

Thunderdome 2017: Write A drat Thing

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
Thunderdome 2017: Five Million Words (some good)

or

Thunderdome 2017: i cant read, and yet i write

Crabrock - thanks for judging and the crit. Oh and it was Mrenda that compared my story to an Adam Sandler movie, not you.

Grats Mrenda. You have defeated me but I will rise again!

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

My vote for prose and cons

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

crabrock posted:

My vote for prose and cons

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica
Thunderdome 2017teen: Success Is Like A Boomerang that you catch with your face.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

thunderdome 2017teen: i'm a rhino

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Thunderdome 2017teen: word counts are upper limits you utter dunces

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Thunderdome 2017: we finally stopped making the same joke about a five-year-old story

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Thunderdome 2017teen: Running this one into the ground way past 2020ty

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Thunderdome 2017teen: my god this isn't hard just write more

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Thunderdome 2017teen: Writing In Agony

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Djeser posted:

Thunderdome 2017: we finally stopped making the same joke about a five-year-old story

lol yeah right

The new thread is live!

Here's to another year of lovely, lovely rear end words. Thunderdome is unironically one of my favorite things about my week, whether I'm reading, judging, or chatting about stories for recaps. I hope we can do this together for a long time, because the community in this weirdass little corner of the internet is unlike anything else I've been a part of.

All of you mean the world to me. Your stories, even the lovely ones, inspire me to keep pursuing the craft of writing. So thanks. You're all the best (but also the worst).

I will leave the thread open for a couple of days so latecomers can edit their stories out. Please direct all of your bad posts to the new thread!

I love you, TD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaishai
Nov 3, 2010

Scoffing at modernity.
A last crit from me in this venerable thread:

flerp, for France 2014: "The Mysterious Mustachioed Merman"
Lyrics: Twin Twin - "Moustache"

Kai's Video Notes: Can you believe this came in last place? The live performance lacked a lot of the charm and je ne sais quoi of the preview video, so I gave you the version that wasn't boring. The kooky game show in which Weird Al Yankovic seems to be a contestant gets unsettling when smoke pours from the buttons; the host laughs and laughs; I wonder which circle of Hell has a moustache hung prominently on its wall. The song's greatest evil is being so catchy that it's hard to stop listening. Themes: pastels, game shows, prizes, pressure, futility, false gaiety, wealth, materialism, desire for the unattainable, dishabille, moustaches!

What unreasoning world is this in which foraging is a crime? In which mermen walk out by night or day?? In which they has is an acceptable construction??? Don't let the excessive punctuation fool you into thinking I care much about any of that. You could have proofed more thoroughly and thought harder about your merworld, sure, and you probably wanted hydrodynamic instead of aquadynamic since aerodynamic is of Greek and not Latin extraction, but we're talking about the sparkling tale of a merman (ba-dum pum, oh lord kill me) and his moustache here. It is possible to think too much about these things.

I quite like Moustache's respect for the merpolice. December Diamonds needs to make a cop merman stat, if for no other reason than to round out their Village People lineup. The random interjections about how heroic police are make no more sense than anything else, and they're charming for it. The humor's probably a little overdone in spots. Who cares, though, while there are lines like Moustache considered, for a brief moment, to rename Plain Face to Rotten Eggs, but then decided this wasn’t the time to make such brash decisions? (You know considered to rename is abhorrent, though, right? Just checking.)

You do miss everything about your song other than the moustache. That might have damaged your chances in the round, insofar as that's an issue given that this has zilch to do with winning and everything to do with being a glittering Christmas gift.

Flawed and silly as this is, it's sincerely funny. Good work! Thank you! Merry Christmas!

Farewell, Thunderdome 2016teen! Thank you for being our home for a terrible, wonderful year.

• Locked thread