Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
It would be keeping in line with narrativium if Satan chose to take form as a bipedal monster because it's expected and demons have no creativity whatsoever (which humans compensate by being devilishly creative to one another).

A little like Venti believes in being formal, at least publicly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The people of this town must be the most jaded unflappable collection of lunatics in the world. Today the prince's butler released a rampaging elephant in the streets while the prince ran in circles screaming about buckets. Ho hum, another ordinary Tuesday. At least tomorrow we're all getting together to literally beat the stuffing off a 5 meter tall sheep.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Mzbundifund posted:

The people of this town must be the most jaded unflappable collection of lunatics in the world. Today the prince's butler released a rampaging elephant in the streets while the prince ran in circles screaming about buckets. Ho hum, another ordinary Tuesday. At least tomorrow we're all getting together to literally beat the stuffing off a 5 meter tall sheep.

Clearly you've never seen the third game. They toned it down a lot for this one.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.

BlazeEmblem posted:

Clearly you've never seen the third game. They toned it down a lot for this one.

On the one hand, yeah they toned down the individual character goofiness. On the other hand, this game just has so many more random events for characters to show off their goofiness in.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Dungeon #2: The Water Ruins

I feel like I built up this dungeon way too much. It’s only a little more complicated than the straight path of Yokmir Forest, and although it’s twice the size, it isn’t much more difficult to get through. Also, I think I overleveled severely.

So, it’s the first day of summer. I put off doing the dungeon all month for no particular reason (I wanted to craft some badass equipment for Forte and myself). The first of Summer means two things. First, it’s Beach Day, the first day of swimming season. For the rest of Summer, marriage candidates will often visit Dragon Lake west of town, and while there will be wearing bathing suits.

So yeah, woo for fanservice.

The other thing?

It’s Art’s birthday! Nobody in town likes him that much though, so the only thing that comes of it is everybody saying happy birthday to him.

To celebrate the occasion, I’m gonna investigate mysterious voices people have been hearing. Voices that people in town have been hearing. That come from a structure on the other side of the forest from here. The hell?

I neglected to mention at Yokmir, but each dungeon has two things at the entrance. A save point, and a sign that tells you all the monsters and items that can be found there. Goblins and Goblin Archers are just slightly more capable Orcs, and drop healing potions. Lots of healing potions. Tortas have high defense but no magic defense to speak of. Sky Fish cast Water Laser, and Weagles can blow me around with gusts of wind.

Yeah, I’m sure that’s everything I’m likely to run into here.

My party includes a fake Prince, a superfluous knight, and a giant beetle. The human members of my party have swanky red hats, the bug is naked.

I actually quite like this place. It’s a very cool looking dungeon, and actually looks ruined, as opposed to some other video game ruins I can think of. gently caress if I know what the hell this place is though. It’s big, marbley, associated with water, and filled with things that piss me off, so I’m assuming it’s a temple dedicated to Aquaticus, a Dragon God (but neither a king nor a mayor) associated with water that pissed me off.

The horse statues are a little odd, I’ll admit. Probably nothing important enough to waste time thinking about.

You all remember this first room, where I found two mysterious messages engraved on a stone tablet (one in an unknown language, one readable).

From here, I can go left or right, and it doesn’t really matter which way I go.

I went left, and fought my way through a hallway filled with goblins. Goblin archers shoot more rapidly than orc archers. It’s annoying, but ultimately no big deal.

Travel up a hallway (with a fallen column running alongside the floor).

At the end of the hallway, I found some stairs. I ran down the stairs, as you do, and found an outdoor area. With a chest!

Another spell! Now I can cast Water Laser! I probably never will, but the option is totally available!

Huh, what a strange item that I have never seen before. Absolutely never seen it anywhere before, and certainly not in the opening bit on the airship before Art got amnesia.

But I can’t interact with it in any way, shape, or form. So it’s clearly not important.

While backtracking, I found a chest on the platform adjacent to that fallen column. And got a glass of tomato juice from it! Somehow!

So I went back to the entrance, and took the right side hall.

Much like the other hallway, this one was also full of orcs. Alternating horizontal and vertical hallways… with mostly the same enemies… getting excited when I stumble over a new item at the end… when did I start playing Metroid?

I let Forte and Robin handle the fighting while I did a bit of mining. I found a Water Crystal. I don’t think I mentioned elemental crystals yet. They’re crafting items, found by mining, or less commonly, from destroying monster gates. Most elemental weapons require them, you can use one to change the element of a weapon by using it to upgrade, and each has a stat boost it imparts during upgrades. Earth Crystals from Yokmir are worth 5 defense, Water gives 5 magic attack.

Tortas! They take about a third the damage from physical attacks that other monsters do. I’m overleveled enough that I can still easily punch them to death.

Much like the left side, this side also has a vertical hallway with a fallen column running alongside. How bizarre!

Oh no, the path is blocked! How could I ever hope to proceed! My quest is doomed!

So yeah, this is the game’s favorite obstacle. As block pushing puzzles are to Zelda, so are barriers linked to switches here.

By pushing a switch of the same color, the obstacle is lowered. This switch was just a matter of backtracking down the hallway and going up the column, it’s all downhill from here.

Literally. I’m about to climb back down the pillar.

CHOICES! I could go left, or right. I’m going right, because treasure.

As soon as I entered the area, a barrier formed over the exit, requiring me to kill… something that Robin got to before I even saw it.

Less interesting treasure. Rods are basic staff type weapons, if I was interested in a caster playthrough. With my new vendor trash in my backpack, I went back and took the other door.

Oddly enough, people who don’t know me very well won’t spend all night hanging out with me in strange ruins. It’s 7PM, and Forte is taking off. It’s just me and Robin from here on out.

Four Tortas, insert your own TMNT joke here.

Ooh, another switch. How odd, I haven’t seen any more colored barriers. And this one didn’t seem to do anything. How odd.

I went up from the stairs, and found another horizontal hallway. And Robin found treasure! I think the chance of a party member finding a hidden item is based on your Searching skill, but I’m not entirely clear.

It was a brick. TREASURE!

I opened a chest, and found myself surrounded. Akbar.jpg. That is all.

My reward for besting the trap was a chest with a Roundoff (cures silence) and a Para-Gone (cures paralysis).

At the end of the hallway, I found more stairs, leading me down here, to a Torta and Weagle. Weagles are mostly harmless, but they can create gusts of wind to blow me around. A room full of them is very annoying.

That path led me to the other side of the room with the switch that did nothing. By hitting a second switch here, the middle of the room appeared, allowing me to progress north. This area is one screen north of the tablet room, and is accessible from there. Everything up to this point was just so I could walk up two screens.

Well, Art finally heard the voice. Here, ten feet away from its source. I’m starting to think I was sent here under false pretenses.

Really? You don’t say? The presence of a save point in no way indicated this.

HORSEY! Pretty horsey!

Considering that the sound I heard was very clearly a horse neighing, I’m gonna go with “Yes”.

This is Thunderbolt, and he has a pretty basic attack pattern. Overall his attacks are easier to dodge than Ambrosia’s, but hit harder. This is his first attack, a charge.

This isn’t an attack, but it is dangerous. Thunderbolt falls to the ground and starts exploding, much like dead monsters do, except he gets up a few seconds later and keeps attacking. If you drop your guard it can get nasty. NPCs won’t be fooled though, so having your villager or monster allies keep attacking the corpse should be a major indicator.

This is Thunderbolt’s second attack, a massive, but slow, bolt of lightning.

He died without showing off his other two attacks.

But what’s this now?

Let's take him to the clinic as soon as possible.

He doesn't seem to be injured very badly. I think all he needs is to rest here for two or three days.

That's good to hear.

Who is this man?

Erm, well...have you heard the rumors about the cursed voices?

Ah, the voices people have been hearing in the dead of night?
Yeah. Those. I went to Water Ruins to see what might be causing them. And when I defeated one of the roaming monsters, it...turned into a human being.

A monster became a human again?

Yeah.

But...Why? Why would this happen? Why are monsters turning human?

It might have something to do with my power as an Earthmate. It's what...transforms them.But not all of them. Only... certain ones.

Only certain monsters, found in the last rooms of dungeons. More powerful than the others in the area, maybe you could even consider them the ‘boss’ of the other monsters…

I see... Maybe the monsters you defeated are somehow special. They may possess some special properties that make them more susceptible to your influence.

Special properties, huh...?

Well, you must be exhausted. You just leave him to me and go rest up for a while.

I will. Thank you very much.

You're very welcome.

And that’s the Water Ruins, sorry for the disappointment. The next dungeon is better, I promise.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
If you end up marrying Forte you should get a cool wolf-type enemy and call'em Gospel.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
Whenever I see an enemy has 'special properties', it's usually followed up by turning them into a weapon, an ability or breaking them down into currency/materials (sometimes all three!).

Except for maybe the monster butterfly, this is already turning out better!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So, like, have the knights and such been actually confronting these monsters and been unable to kill them, or are people just not dungeon-curious enough to get the chance?

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Glazius posted:

So, like, have the knights and such been actually confronting these monsters and been unable to kill them, or are people just not dungeon-curious enough to get the chance?

Officially, nobody ever bothered to try before me. Those dungeons are full of dangerous monsters, why would anybody ever want to go in there? Forte's job is to defend the town, she doesn't need to worry about random poo poo out in the woods.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Clearly, I need to start posting updates more often. Pulling the screenshots since I last updated, over 2400 files and still climbing. Mind you, I'll lose at least 2/3 of those to deduplication, and use less than half of what's left, but still, I usually don't have nearly this many.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
That's a lot of eggs to gather! I'm assuming dungeons are the lion's share still?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Truthkeeper posted:

Clearly, I need to start posting updates more often. Pulling the screenshots since I last updated, over 2400 files and still climbing. Mind you, I'll lose at least 2/3 of those to deduplication, and use less than half of what's left, but still, I usually don't have nearly this many.
Screenshotting long game sessions: Not even once.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Haifisch posted:

The approach I've always taken for screenshot LPs is to record a lossless video. Then I can pick out exactly the frames I want later.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Haifisch posted:

The end total was nearly 5000. Multiple sessions, admittedly. I spend a lot of time playing this game. Need to try and get this update posted tonight.

FredMSloniker posted:

The approach I've always taken for screenshot LPs is to record a lossless video. Then I can pick out exactly the frames I want later.

Sounds like a good way. Entirely undoable with this project though, but I'm gonna keep it in mind for later.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Well, news certainly gets around fast in this town. I probably don’t need to bother telling Ventuswill about this. But I will anyway.

Ah, Art. Did you figure out what's going on?

I see... ... Thank you, Art...I'm sorry, but I'm a bit tired today.

And then the dragon god king mayor passed out.

This is in absolutely no way strange, suspicious, or concerning, and I feel confident that I can safely ignore it! I’m gonna go do prince stuff now!

Passed an order to upgrade Illuminata’s flower shop. Now she’ll sell any flower that I’ve previously shipped.

And the same for the general store, except with crops.

And now the general store sells furniture. Mostly useless crap to make your room look nicer, but also new shipping boxes, material bins, and things to summon the airship. Once I’m rich, I will have those everywhere. Superconvenient!

Also, Thunderbolt is now on farm. His little fake death gimmick makes this fight take several seconds longer than it should, which will never stop annoying me. His mane, seen here, has the best defense and magic defense bonuses of any upgrade items I have access to right now.

But let’s stop in at the restaurant and talk to my buddy Porky.

Looks like you've found another person.

Erm...

Does our new resident have a place to go? I do have an extra room at the moment...

It comes off a little creepy, but only because Porky keeps hitting on me regularly. Still, it’s good that the mysterious horse man will have a place to live. Sure is a good thing so many people in this town have spare rooms available.

That’s another thing I’d like to bring up. Forte and Kiel’s parents are dead. Margaret is an elf, her mother gave her to Porky to raise in the human world for reasons that will come up if and when that event pops up. Doug’s parents… we’ll get to that. Xiao Pai and Lin Fa are the only multi-generational family in this town (Xiao Pai’s father is a traveling salesman who very rarely comes home). There are only two old people, Blossom and Volkanon, and no kids at all (yet, give me time). It’s been suggested by some fans that the town recently came off a plague, or an enemy attack, or otherwise some event that killed a lot of people. Honestly, I could buy it.

All those depressing thoughts caused me to pass out. I totally didn’t overwork myself grinding out healing potions.

Thankfully, Nancy was the one who woke me up. Nancy always lets you off for free, Jones charges for services rendered., but charges less if you got your rear end kicked while with your girlfriend or wife.

Immediately upon exiting the clinic, I trigger the event to go back in and check on the man I savagely beat while he was a lightning horse.

This game is weird.

No, I was your patient. Literally thirty seconds ago.

Ah...yes, I have.

You're such a kind soul. I think he's still sleeping... Wait here. I'll go check on him for you.

And so she did.

Art!

What's wrong?!

All right. Let's see if we can find him.

Strange lights coming from Dragonland. Probably nothing to worry about. Maybe Venti breathes lightning when she snores?

I just told you Art, it’s nothing to worry about.

See, just a perfectly ordinary… Venti’s getting her lunch on. We should probably leave now, it’s not proper to disturb the dragon god at mealtime. Guy was probably an rear end in a top hat anyway. Yeah. I’m sure he kicked puppies and put books on the shelves in the wrong order. He deserves to be eaten by a dragon. King. God.

Dammit Art, you disturbed lunchtime!

I was looking for him. He's the monster. Or rather, he was! It seems he slipped out from the clinic. Nancy was in a state of utter panic.

Ah, I see! So he's an escapee, then. All right. Please, hurry up and take him back to the clinic right away.

That's the plan... By the way, why was this room shimmering a moment ago?

Sh-shimmering, you say...? I-I think you must have imagined that...

Clearly, telling lies badly causes dragon gods to collapse. Story checks out.

Venti?!

I-I'm okay...

You don't look okay!

Well, don't worry... I'm just tired.

What are you talking about?! Come on. Let's go see Jones.

I personally question Jones’ medical credentials. Are we even certain he’s a real doctor?

H-hey, what do you think I am?! I said I'm okay. I just didn't get enough sleep. I was...so worried about you in the Water Ruins, I couldn't get a moment of shut-eye. So don't concern yourself with me. Just be grateful that I care so much about you!

So worried that you sent me there in your place to deal with your job.

Venti...

*YAWN* I'm so sleepy... I think I'll take a little nap. You can handle the escapee, right?

Could be faking it, could be passing out from lying again.

And where the hell were you when your patient was escaping Doc?

Please accept our apologies. We won't take our eyes off of him again!

Meh, good enough. Terrable knows I don’t want to be responsible for him.

Thanks. He's all yours, then.

Knocked out another request, bringing my shipping list up over 10% by tossing one of everything I had into the box. At some point, I’ll have to get a shot of the list in progress.

The reward is well worth it. The backpack in this game only comes in one size: not loving big enough.

I wanted to show this off here…

…but my little order spree at the beginning wiped out all my points. It’ll come soon enough.

NEXT TIME: Another big fancy town event (may not be as big or fancy as advertised).

Truthkeeper fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 3, 2016

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Uh oh, Venti is slowly turning into the final boss!

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Truthkeeper posted:

Sounds like a good way. Entirely undoable with this project though, but I'm gonna keep it in mind for later.

Why untenable? Wait... are you somehow getting screenshots off a legit 3DS?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

FredMSloniker posted:

Why untenable? Wait... are you somehow getting screenshots off a legit 3DS?

You can take screenshots off a 3DS with either Miiverse (DO NOT DO AN SSLP WITH THIS METHOD!) or with homebrew. An app there allows you to take screenshots of the game as you play.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
...Wait, you can check current events that are happening? How? Some menu button I overlook?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Drakenel posted:

...Wait, you can check current events that are happening? How? Some menu button I overlook?

Just check the diary, and you have the option to check for any town events that are happenig.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Just check the diary, and you have the option to check for any town events that are happenig.

Huh. Guess I've gone out and activated every event before checking the diary thus far.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
"It's a Mystery" makes me think it's gonna be various townspeople putting together a murder mystery performance.

Truthkeeper posted:

No, I was your patiently. Literally thirty seconds ago.

Or rather, he was!It seems he slipped out from the clinic. Nancywas in a state of utter panic.

Got a typo and a couple spots that needed spaces.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, huh. I suppose a little Torneko was inevitable, eventually.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Of Course, Of Course

Just a little recap. Third day of summer, two dungeons completed, a little pocket money built up, and the guy I beat the ever living hell out of while he was a lightning horse is still hospitalized.

Well actually, about that last one…

I was about to call you over.

What happened?

Your former monster man finally woke up.

Really?!

No Art, she’s screwing with you as part of some kind of clever scheme.

Now we’ll find out who the Lightning Horse really is! Although I didn’t get to pull a mask off of him first…

This screenshot cannot hope to contain the sheer amount of tsundere contained within this man. It also does a poor job of showing that he has horse ears.

I usually prefer my dialogue options to be a bit more… option than this. Sadly, not every game can be Planescape Torment.

...I'm fine, more or less. And who are you?

This is the one who saved you.

I'm Art.

...Dylas.

Um, I'd like to ask you one thing... Why were you in the Water Ruins?

It's none of your business.

I am perfectly willing to beat the poo poo out of you again. I wonder if that would turn him back into a horse? Or maybe every time Art beats the poo poo out of somebody they move up the chain of reincarnation, so beating him up again would turn him into a god?

...Hey, Dylas. Art saved you. You know that, right? So how about dialing down the foul attitude a bit, hmm? ...Sound good?

She says that all sweet and friendly and pants-wettingly terrifying like she’s about to stab a mother fucker.

...I don't know why I was there.

You lost your memory too?

Art’s fists have the power to inflict brain damage. This is clearly the only explanation. Art himself lost his memories because he hit himself while he was fighting those guys on the airship. Clearly.

...Yeah. ...Can I go now?

Physically, you are fine, but I'm still concerned about...

Thank you for taking care of me.

gently caress your medical opinion.

He's gone...

He's not one to mess around with niceties, now, is he? Definitely lives life at his own pace.

Nancy, Jones. Thank you very much.

You're very welcome.

Jones doesn’t get nearly enough credit for what he does, even if I am half-certain he got his medical degree out of a cereal box.

Dylas... What's he going to do from here on out?

Oh, my, you finally woke up!

Well, we were warned about this in advance.

You may feel free to call me by that name.

...O-okay... Well...bye!

...Hmm? And just what are you going to do with yourself from now on?

...Don't see how that's any of your business.

You have nowhere to go, do you?

Th-that's not your conce—

Then you'll come live at my place!

...What?

Fortunately for you, I just so happen to have a spare room. Besides, you're fresh out of an extended clinic stay! You're in no condition to wander about. If you plan to leave town, that's fine! But what difference does it make if it's now or later?

Porky makes a surprisingly logical argument here. It’s important to remember that, even if he’s really loving kooky, this guy pretty much runs all the shipping in and out of this area. Being head of a household of the Sainte-Coquille family requires an absurd character gimmick and being highly competent. For their families… well, they definitely have the kooky gimmicks down.

...But...I can't just freeload...

Then how about you work for me during your stay?

...Work for you?

I run a restaurant here. And I can hire you as a waiter. When you eventually go off on your aimless voyage, you'll still need money, after all...no? If you stay in my house for a while and don't like it, you can leave anytime. What do you think? Sounds stupendous, doesn't it?

I love how he just automatically shuts down Dylas’ entire attitude with logic. It seems completely out of character now, but Porcoline can actually get pretty serious when the situation requires it.

... ...Okay. I guess I'll stay with you, then.

But not because he wants to, it’s just convenient. It’s not because he likes you or anything! Baka bakka!

WONDERFUL!!

I'm Dylas. Thank you... Porcoline.

Seems he'll do just fine.

And so the mighty horseman of the Water Ruins was added to our little town.

Which won’t stop me from beating up his horse-self every day.

He did. I hear he's made a full recovery.

Good. That's good.

Were you worried about him?

S-sort of. I'm...really glad he's okay.

Yeah, Venti’s not hiding anything, just concerned about some random guy. We’re all cool here.

I’ve got a pretty nice little selection of seeds unlocked. The rest are gonna take a little effort. Those green peppers are going to make up the bulk of what I grow this summer.

To sum these up, Clorica just offered to give me an upgrade item significantly more powerful than anything I can get right now in exchange for killing the weakest enemy in the game.

Game wants to take pity on me, I’m not gonna argue. Gonna be a while before I can use it though.

Good attitude to have. Weird speech to make while shirtless because I’m talking to you in the bath.

Get used to this.

More importantly than checking up on the horse turned man…

I’m gonna open an item shop! Capitalism ho!

With my new license in hand, I just need to… how the hell does one open up a shop?

Yes, that’s what I just asked.

It’s time for another tutorial, brought to us by Mr. Volkanon.

First things first, head back to your room. That's where it all begins!

I have entirely too many boxes.

Yes. You can put the items you want to sell into the box.

So if I want to sell an apple, I should put it into the box, and it'll get marked up for sale?

That's right. How about a practice run? Try putting something in the box. After placing an item inside, you can sell it at the castle booth.

Er, the castle booth? Where's that?

Just over there, to your right.

Yeah, the last door out from my room, right next to the regular door, leads to a booth I can sell things from.

The booth, right next to your front door. Art is kinda dumb sometimes.

This is where you start your business! Come back here after you put products in the shop box. Then, people from the plaza will start gathering around. So talk to them, and sell your products!

I see... So basically, I just put products in the shop box, then talk them up to potential customers?

Exactly right.

I think I got it.

Selling items can be +much more profitable+ than shipping them. So it's worth a shot.

On average, you can expect around a 10-20% markup compared to shipping the same item. Moreso if it’s an arranged cooked dish, which can get much higher, easily 30-50% markup. Selling through the shop takes a long time and is very boring, so I only use it when I have expensive arranged dishes to move.

Best of luck to you in your endeavors! Oh, I almost forgot... If you break your shop box, you can buy a new one at the general store. Or rather, they should have new ones in stock, assuming they deal in furniture at the time.

Thanks.

Best of luck to you in your endeavors!

Gonna have to try that out later, but first, the plot has appeared again!

Ghosts huh? Luckily for the people of this town, busting makes me feel good.

What's wrong?

Nothing. It's nothing. ...

Well I for one believe that Venti would never hide anything important. She’s probably just afraid of ghosts.

Huh, that’s a new person. I guess the polite thing to do would be to say hello. Except he, she, or it vanished. Odd.

I'd love to have tea with it sometime... But...can ghosts drink tea?

Oh, there’s that new person again! But she vanished again… people move so quickly these days.

I can solve it! I know I can!

Seems lots of people are seeing ghosts around here. How bizarre.

Well that settles the pronoun trouble, this person is very certainly probably female! And has already heard of me. My reputation precedes me! But I don’t have time for this right now, I’ve got a shop to show off!

A simple roll, with apple jam, and mushrooms. Arranged dishes just have to have additional items added to the recipe, nothing requires that they be even remotely good.

Note the selling price, a little over 2100.

The second one had medicinal herbs mixed in.

Whoever happens to be in the square has a chance to come and visit your shop while it’s open. The game will also spawn random NPCs to shop as well.

But not everybody who comes to your shop will want to buy anything.

Right now, I can just wait patiently. As I use the shop and increase my bartering skill, I’ll gain the ability to hawk, shill, and otherwise pitch products.

That’s a pretty good price. I’ve seen better, but it’s a good start.

And that one sale was all it took to level up my bartering skill. Talking up an item increases the chance you’ll sell it, but takes some RP to use.

Now that’s a nice selling price.

Next time, we get back on track with the plot, and probably actually follow up on "It's a Mystery".

Truthkeeper fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Aug 7, 2016

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Dylas doesn't just contain tsundere. He's tsundere incarnate. With horse ears.

Missed some img tags.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
You punched a horse so hard he became a man. In return, say goodbye to all of your fishing trophies, forever.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

YggiDee posted:

You punched a horse so hard he became a man. In return, say goodbye to all of your fishing trophies, forever.

There's always resetting (If you got a decent result in the first place anyway). In the first year at least. After that, yeah good luck.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

It is true. Dylas will doom all my future fishing contests after this year.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Why is a horse so good at fishing anyway? Like the butterfly girl working at the flower shop makes sense, but "horse --> fishing" is nonsense.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

please tell me this man is marriage material, behold him.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

YggiDee posted:

Why is a horse so good at fishing anyway? Like the butterfly girl working at the flower shop makes sense, but "horse --> fishing" is nonsense.

I never got it either but apparently Poseidon created horses so that might be the connection they were going for

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

LordHippoman posted:

please tell me this man is marriage material, behold him.

He got an anime intro. Of course he is.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Drakenel posted:

He got an anime intro. Of course he is.

I suspect the Hippoman was speaking of Porcoline, not Dylas.

Dylas is definitely marriagable, and means I've unlocked two out of four unlockable candidates. The next character unlocked will be our final female candidate, at which point I'll probably start taking requests for who I should be dating and/or marrying.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Truthkeeper posted:

I suspect the Hippoman was speaking of Porcoline, not Dylas.

Dylas is definitely marriagable, and means I've unlocked two out of four unlockable candidates. The next character unlocked will be our final female candidate, at which point I'll probably start taking requests for who I should be dating and/or marrying.

In that case, Porco desperately wishes he was a candidate.

But isn't.

Speaking of which, show the full portrait sometime. (hit x when talking to him, in case you didn't already know that. (I didn't till yesterday. :( ))

Drakenel fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 7, 2016

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Haifisch posted:

Dylas doesn't just contain tsundere. He's tsundere incarnate. With horse ears.

Tsundere horse?

Also speaking of ghosts there's a big hooded guy in the next dungeon that might make a nice recruit. I think he's also a higher level than Art but should still be possible to recruit.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

mastersord posted:

Also speaking of ghosts there's a big hooded guy in the next dungeon that might make a nice recruit. I think he's also a higher level than Art but should still be possible to recruit.

Funny you should mention that. I hadn't intended to capture any pets my first trip through Obsidian Mansion, and yet I walked out with a panther and a giant ghost. The giant ghost is big, wears a hood, and carries a scythe, so naturally I built a barn for Castlevania themed monsters and called him Zead. Sadly, he's not actually all that useful.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That's a teeny little kiosk of a shop. Can't hardly hoe any capitalism from inside that bitty thing.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
The shop is basically the fantasy version of a drive-through window, right down to artisanal fast food being the best to sell. It's best done at the start and at the end of festivals because of the boy/girl groups that show up in that center area.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

YggiDee posted:

Despite popping out of a horse, Dylas is vaguely cat-themed. I wonder if he was originally meant to be a cat monster and it got changed to a horse later in development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Yeah those don't look like horse ears at all imo

• Locked thread