Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Wrist Watch posted:

What's the easiest way to grind levels? Repeated runs through BBI? Grinding those rooms with the luring incense? Offline Ur dragon?

I had a goal to finally get the plat for this game before the new year and have been chipping away at it for the past month or two but somehow managed to forget about level grinding, of all things

Solo Assassin blast arrowing Death off the cliff at the end of the last sewer section in BBI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az9FVyMQ17Q

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

omg this is amazing.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I really wish this game was easier to mod cause people would have really gone crazy with it.

Come on Capcom do the needful for Dragons Dogma 2!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That reminds me I was going to install the nude mod to see what it's like

Uhhhhhhhh I mean the crafting mod or some poo poo, I'm not like those losers

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
installing the ps3 button mod and the infinite stamina and carry weight mod that happens to also be the titty mod, for the convenience

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

[while masturbating furiously] can you believe these people, I just wanted a more efficient inventory

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

Warrior should get three more skills, even if I probably wouldn't use them.

That's all I got.
Trolls having an extra 0 at the end of their health bars presumably due to an unfortunate typo, leading to the fight with two of them in the abandoned mine/tunnel/wherever taking roughly five hours

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

That’s what skulls are for homie

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
How about damage numbers to see if you're above the enemy's defense breakpoint

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

We should also have a helpful cat and/or dog to help us fight.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

DrakePegasus posted:

We should also have a helpful cat and/or dog to help us fight.

Obviously a dog

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I just picked this up on the switch and have been really enjoying it. I started as a strider and have switched to magick archer and am really feeling the lack of some kind of defensive button to press, though. I’ve gotten killed a few times by bandits with swords and shields because I don’t have a good way to evade without giving up position and they just block my arrows. I’ve read daggers give access to a dodge roll, how long do I have to go before I unlock that? In general discipline seems quite limited and I really like magick archer, but also want to try out other classes — how far into the game is it before discipline becomes more plentiful? Finally, any tips for early game magick archer?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The way leveling works (you get different stats by gaining a level with a vocation equipped) you want to level as a sorc to be a strong magic archer. Most of their stuff scales off magic and sorc gets the most magic attack per level. Disciple is just gained by getting xp so you can level as whatever then spend it how you want. Early game those bandits near the witchwood are crazy strong so you are better off just running past them until you really learn how to play.

This better explains how leveling works: https://dragonsdogma.fandom.com/wiki/Stat_Growths

Magic archer is really fun but it has probably the worst stat growth for any vocation.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I just picked this up on the switch and have been really enjoying it. I started as a strider and have switched to magick archer and am really feeling the lack of some kind of defensive button to press, though. I’ve gotten killed a few times by bandits with swords and shields because I don’t have a good way to evade without giving up position and they just block my arrows. I’ve read daggers give access to a dodge roll, how long do I have to go before I unlock that? In general discipline seems quite limited and I really like magick archer, but also want to try out other classes — how far into the game is it before discipline becomes more plentiful? Finally, any tips for early game magick archer?

Magick archer picks up when you start getting stronger bows. It was a little lackluster in the base game, but it shines like a diamond in the expansion.

Don't feel married to any one class in the early game. You'll want augments from a variety of classes with any build, doubly so with a hybrid class like magick archer. Ricochet Hunter is going to be one of your biggest damage dealing skills eventually, so the class works best in enclosed areas like dungeons or most of BBI.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

big nipples big life posted:

The way leveling works (you get different stats by gaining a level with a vocation equipped) you want to level as a sorc to be a strong magic archer. Most of their stuff scales off magic and sorc gets the most magic attack per level. Disciple is just gained by getting xp so you can level as whatever then spend it how you want. Early game those bandits near the witchwood are crazy strong so you are better off just running past them until you really learn how to play.

This better explains how leveling works: https://dragonsdogma.fandom.com/wiki/Stat_Growths

Magic archer is really fun but it has probably the worst stat growth for any vocation.

On the other hand, stats from levels are very small compared to stats from equipment, so don't really sweat what you're leveling as. Unless you're absolutely hell-bent on min-maxing, just play whatever you want. And don't be afraid to try new things! There's a surcharge for unlocking a class the first time, but after that you can switch for free whenever you want. All the classes are fun in their own way!

Heithinn Grasida posted:

how far into the game is it before discipline becomes more plentiful? Finally, any tips for early game magick archer?

Discipline will feel kind of tight for awhile, and there's no way to cheat it that isn't extremely boring. Killing weak enemies will always give an OK amount of discipline, even if their XP payout is practically nothing, so don't be afraid to stop and kill every goblin that comes along.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I went and explored some waterfall cave/temple complex (that’s connected to a quest that I don’t have yet), then went back and killed the bandits.

I’m absolutely planning on swapping between classes a lot, but discipline and class ranks are a little limited. I really like the ability to switch freely between range and melee with magick archer though, and I suck at aiming with a controller using the strider’s bow. I just wish my attacks hit a little harder and that I had a reliable defensive button to push. The only other 3D action game I really have played extensively is Dark Souls and this seems to handle pretty differently.

I’ve seen two schools of thought online—that minmaxing doesn’t matter very much and you should just play as whatever class you want because gear is far more important than stats, and that you need to carefully manage your levels to make classes like magick archer worthwhile. I think I’m just going to play as whatever I want and leave minmaxing for another play through of the game.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Yeah the vast majority of your offensive stats come form your weapon so you can basically level however you want. You will want augments from all the basic classes as a magic archer though.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I’ve seen two schools of thought online—that minmaxing doesn’t matter very much and you should just play as whatever class you want because gear is far more important than stats, and that you need to carefully manage your levels to make classes like magick archer worthwhile.

That is kinda true, to an extent. If you level warrior for 100 levels and then switch to a magic class you are going to be noticably weaker. But as long as you don't do something quite that extreme it's not a big deal.

Also I always resented build guides that said "level your character to sorcerer until level 200, then play the other class" Because then you're not paying a magick archer for 99.9% of the game, so what was the point.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It depends what you mean by worthwhile, and also which classes/skills to some extent. A few skills (mostly MK) only really scale off base stats and those skills are strong with optimized leveling and weak without it. It's not worth doing though, they mostly aren't the more fun skills and it's not a difference maker.

MA is a super, super weak class until you're farming end game, then it becomes disgustingly overpowered. There is no in between. If you do a super-optimized build it might be tolerable the first part of postgame, otherwise it's not going to be competitive until you're farming Daimon.

Also, by far the most important thing for a new player to know is that you should always be carrying at least several hundred mushrooms and be chugging them relentlessly. Don't sit around waiting for stamina, it's really boring.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jan 30, 2021

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

big nipples big life posted:

the only mod you should install is the one that fixes the menu music.

Is there a mod that runs the Into Free chorus whenever you step into the windy canyon?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I’ve seen two schools of thought online—that minmaxing doesn’t matter very much and you should just play as whatever class you want because gear is far more important than stats, and that you need to carefully manage your levels to make classes like magick archer worthwhile. I think I’m just going to play as whatever I want and leave minmaxing for another play through of the game.

Not only is gear more important than character stats but there are also consumables that give enormous boosts to strength and magick that can be bought it unlimited quantities. They further marginalize character stats and, of course, any minmaxing type of player is going to be using them anyway.

In other words, yeah you're doing it right. The people who obsess about leveling in DD have a terminal case of gamerbrain.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Has anyone else had trouble playing this game with an ultrawide monitor? Last time I tried I had a lot of issues with 2560x1080 sadly.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Gobblecoque posted:

Not only is gear more important than character stats but there are also consumables that give enormous boosts to strength and magick that can be bought it unlimited quantities. They further marginalize character stats and, of course, any minmaxing type of player is going to be using them anyway.

In other words, yeah you're doing it right. The people who obsess about leveling in DD have a terminal case of gamerbrain.

speaking of those consumables you should definitely marry fournival because he is #1 waifu

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

how far into the game is it before discipline becomes more plentiful? Finally, any tips for early game magick archer?

Noper Q posted:

Discipline will feel kind of tight for awhile, and there's no way to cheat it that isn't extremely boring. Killing weak enemies will always give an OK amount of discipline, even if their XP payout is practically nothing, so don't be afraid to stop and kill every goblin that comes along.

Honestly, I suggest looking up a video on how to get the discipline boosting ring in BBI early, just to make it easier to grab whatever stuff you want.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I do want to point out one thing that a lot people neglect when talking about this stuff is that the 'Most of your stats come from your gear!' only really applies to the top tier BBI stuff. Trying to drag your way through without that and you'll quickly slam into the fact that base stats do matter for the vast majority of the game unless you want to go super hard on the postgame stuff. Especially because of the idiotic way defense works in this game where if your attack damages does go over certain thresholds you just tickles enemies and things are miserable.

Base game equipment and even level 1 BBI stuff has fuckall for stats and it suuuucks.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
You can go to bbi at lvl 1?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Zore posted:

I do want to point out one thing that a lot people neglect when talking about this stuff is that the 'Most of your stats come from your gear!' only really applies to the top tier BBI stuff. Trying to drag your way through without that and you'll quickly slam into the fact that base stats do matter for the vast majority of the game unless you want to go super hard on the postgame stuff. Especially because of the idiotic way defense works in this game where if your attack damages does go over certain thresholds you just tickles enemies and things are miserable.

Base game equipment and even level 1 BBI stuff has fuckall for stats and it suuuucks.

I've always played DD by just jumping from class to class to pick up augments and try out different playstyles without ever giving a single thought to stat growth and I don't think I've ever ran into this problem. I guess depending on where you go you might run into stuff that you're underleveled/undergeared for and might want to return to tackle later?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I usually just try to keep magic and physical attack roughly balanced so late game I can use whatever vocation I want and be good.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Tabletops posted:

You can go to bbi at lvl 1?

you can go to BBI as soon as you cut off the Hydra's head at the encampment, maybe even earlier than that

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
As soon as you get your pawn you can turn right back around and get on the boat. I should get back to my LP of a BBI ASAP run someday....

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

It's very unnecessary but going to bitterblack immediately to grab the ring of perseverance is fun

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
True pro strat is getting the ring of perseverance, then changing the difficulty to hard so it does a NG+ and head right back in for a second ring for your pawn.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Leal posted:

True pro strat is getting the ring of perseverance, then changing the difficulty to hard so it does a NG+ and head right back in for a second ring for your pawn.

Don't you have to get a lucky drop from monsters you definitely can't kill that early?
Also, wiki says the effect stacks by the way so you can use the second ring for yourself.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

You just need a moonbeam gem, there's a ring behind one of the doors

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Wow I beat this game afaik 100% including bbi real boss and I had no idea lol.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Evil Eagle posted:

You just need a moonbeam gem, there's a ring behind one of the doors

You can also pretty easily glitch thru the door with the ring, no gems required

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

I switched to Sorcerer for the augments and I feel stronger than magick archer, but drat is it boring by comparison. I’m at vocation rank 5 and still am pretty much just shooting fireballs all the time. I’m not a fan of pure casters in rpgs, and maybe I’m just not creative enough with the spells I have to make things more fun. I hate that I have to charge up for everything I do, though. Are there any skills I should particularly look out for to make playing sorcerer more fun?

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I switched to Sorcerer for the augments and I feel stronger than magick archer, but drat is it boring by comparison. I’m at vocation rank 5 and still am pretty much just shooting fireballs all the time. I’m not a fan of pure casters in rpgs, and maybe I’m just not creative enough with the spells I have to make things more fun. I hate that I have to charge up for everything I do, though. Are there any skills I should particularly look out for to make playing sorcerer more fun?

Wyrmking's Ring (turn in a forgery for the quest) and Articulacy to reduce cast times.

Also check out https://dragonsdogma.fandom.com/wiki/Spell_Syncing I'm not sure if this mechanic is ever explained in game, and can really help if you select pawns with your same spell loadout.

High Gicel, High Bolide, High Seism, and High Maelstrom (and the Grand versions of the first three) make you feel like a loving force of nature and a lot less like a dork in wizard robe casting fireballs. Those spells are spectacular to see and do absolutely obscene damage.

You're always going to feel immobile and less dynamic than Magick archer or any rogue-ish class though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Good on you for sticking with it all the way to rank 5, but if you're still not having fun after using the ring and spell syncing, just switch vocations and never look at it again. No reason to force yourself to play something you don't like.