Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Panfilo posted:

Thank you for this explanation. It is interesting seeing how extreme people's viewpoints are on the topic; after reading about it on SA I googled it and found a ton of ladyblogs complaining about how hurtful it is that people criticize, mock, or e-bully someone just because they are a military spouse. I often feel like the truth is somewhere in the middle, but for something like this it sounds pretty difficult.

As someone who grew up in a military family, and my brother and I both joined despite seeing all that firsthand, I can say his description is pretty drat accurate (a bit nicer than I'd give them credit for).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Panfilo posted:

Do military wives establish a hierarchy amongst themselves based on their spouses rank? Is being married to a servicemember in any particular branch considered more/less reputable among them?

It does, among the absolute worst of them. They have a sense of entitlement that extends beyond anything they're actually owed by the military, to the point that some actually think they have the authority to tell junior military personnel what to do because of who they married. The good ones don't care and establish friendships/relationships like normal people.

I haven't seen anything like that among male spouses. I haven't known many (most of the married military women I've known were married to military guys), but they've all been super chill.

After my dad retired from the military he became a cop, so I've met a lot of cop wives. Never seen the dependa thing there except where the cop was prior-mil and brought one with him.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

^ :lol:

Panfilo posted:

Another question: Do Dependas extend to LBGT couples/spouses? Would a lesbian spouse of a female servicemember be accepted among their herd/flock/whatever you call a group of these women?

I've only known one, who looks the part but is actually really nice and is a stable human being.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 12, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

If you've ever looked at the staff at any AAFES store, you know the answer is close to zero. They don't call it the Asian American Female Employment Service for nothing.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Based on how many illegitimate kids Franklin had, there's a solid chance she's actually carrying a ton of those genes.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Goatschach posted:

Is this a universal thing for Mormons? I used to work with a lot of af linguists and linguist failures and a ton of them were Mormons, and I know three or four of them had named at least one of their kids after a Star Wars character. Their wives definitely didn't fall into the spectrum mentioned though, they were either fat or skinny fat and the only aspirations they put forth were having more kids and not working. All the while their husbands talked about how they didn't like Obama and people feeding off the system, then would turn around and brag about getting approved for snap because they had 4 kids to feed

Utah.txt seriously

Almost every girl I went to high school with was engaged or married before I finished my freshman year of college. Most were pregnant or already had a kid. I knew families where dad worked 80+ hrs a week so/because mom was home raising the herd. The linguist thing is partially driven by the LDS mission stuff...there are a LOT of dudes in their early 20s who are pretty fluent in foreign languages; it's not surprising the guard has a big linguist unit in SLC. Utah's also a huge geek state.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Well Garrett certainly looks like a boot.

He's wearing his blues undershirt, guaranteed.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I've never known one who wasn't military or prior.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

dstyle posted:

mary kay?

essential oils

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

There should be a vetting process for spouses. If you have a non-zero number of boots/sandles, rank, "my X fought for," or other moto stickers on your vehicle, or more than two car seats, you're a dependa and you get garbage service.

• Locked thread