Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I beat the game today

It took me until just before the final boss fight to realize I must have missed one of Mario's Bro Attacks. Turns out it was just in a quest from a random toad in the desert??? How was I supposed to know to check back there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

mabels big day posted:

Is the EXP gain you get from the Mushroom EXP perk significant at all? I'm wondering if it's at all worth using over the other rank bonuses. And does it apply only to mushrooms you eat in battle, and do 1 up mushrooms count?

I don't know but it'll be useless once you level up enough so I didn't take it. You can already get big exp boosts from battle cards anyway.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

I don't know but it'll be useless once you level up enough so I didn't take it. You can already get big exp boosts from battle cards anyway.

Maybe the exp you get increases with your level? Idk, nobody knows because nobody bothers with it lol.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Miiverse interview-ish thing with the developers: https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHk3QkSgUA

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh no I missed Paper Luigi!

Did anyone find him?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Huh, so apparently the decision to stick with the Mario universe only was AlphaDream's decision this time.

Regy Rusty posted:

Oh no I missed Paper Luigi!

Did anyone find him?

Did you beat the game?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

Huh, so apparently the decision to stick with the Mario universe only was AlphaDream's decision this time.

Did you beat the game?

Regy Rusty posted:

I beat the game today

E: lmao I just found him

I hadn't checked out the music player yet.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Paper Weegee? I need to beat EO4 already so I can get into this game.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I was not expecting a Year of Luigi reference in this game.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I'm so thankful that what seems to be most people's only real complaint about the game (the Toad rescue parts) is completely saved by the music, because it reminds me of this. A perfect blend of charm and 90's corniness.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

mabels big day posted:

Is the EXP gain you get from the Mushroom EXP perk significant at all? I'm wondering if it's at all worth using over the other rank bonuses. And does it apply only to mushrooms you eat in battle, and do 1 up mushrooms count?

No.

There are better perks.

EDIT:

enojy posted:

I'm so thankful that what seems to be most people's only real complaint about the game (the Toad rescue parts) is completely saved by the music, because it reminds me of this. A perfect blend of charm and 90's corniness.

The Rescue Paper Toads music is cool and awesome!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Regy Rusty posted:

I beat the game today

It took me until just before the final boss fight to realize I must have missed one of Mario's Bro Attacks. Turns out it was just in a quest from a random toad in the desert??? How was I supposed to know to check back there?

When you go through the desert on the way back to Twinsy Tropics Starlow comes out and goes "Yo go to the town they should have new stuff there" and you're supposed to find it that way.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Oh wow, that final Nabbit quest gave me a laugh. Also if you manage to get above 1400 coins, you'll get Payback Wear EX.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 31, 2016

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Luigi is a hero. Everyone in this game who gives Luigi poo poo is wrong.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

When you go through the desert on the way back to Twinsy Tropics Starlow comes out and goes "Yo go to the town they should have new stuff there" and you're supposed to find it that way.

Now that you mention it I do remember this.

I wonder how I missed him.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Luigi's mustache is frighteningly powerful

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Just got that scene where Luigi is bawling, and Paper Mario turns himself into a handkerchief to dry his tears before wringing himself out. I'm worried this game is going to wrap itself up too soon, but at least the charm factor is off the charts.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

alcharagia posted:

Luigi is a hero. Everyone in this game who gives Luigi poo poo is wrong.

No this joke is still funny.

What do you mean there were 4 games before this where he undoubtedly had a part in saving the world??? (2 of which Starlow was there to see)

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Luigi is the type of person who, at the end of the day, is still a huge loser regardless of how many times he's saved the world. His endless shortcomings and distaste for adventure outweigh any amount of in-world heroics, at least from the perspective of the other characters. He's kind of an interesting character that way.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I don't think I understand this Toad Trail attack. I'm trying to hold forward as much as possible without falling off, but I still can't seem to get better than an "OK".

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

I don't think I understand this Toad Trail attack. I'm trying to hold forward as much as possible without falling off, but I still can't seem to get better than an "OK".

You basically hold up the whole time, but you need to make very slight tilts to the left and right. Like maybe a few millimeters. Only make sharp left and right turns if those pop up in the path.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Mega Thwonk is a loving amazing move.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Kinda disappointed overall, though maybe I'm just spoiled as I'm used to M&L redoing all it's sprites/constantly introducing new characters/concepts/etc. It feels like the NO EFFORT IN MARIO RPGS ALLOWED mandate is still in effect, though AD did their best with what they had and there's still some great stuff here(everything Toadette does, Paper Mario physical comedy, etc). At least it kept the tradition of having a loving awesome final boss. Also AD trolling the poo poo out of people with the Farmer Boots was pretty funny.

Still totally enjoyed it but I give it a Needs Improvement instead of the usual HERE WE GOOOOO

Mega Thwonk is indeed radical, I tended to use Toad Trail most often though. It's one of those moves that's kinda tough to get the feel of but once you do it's incredibly easy to land and does loving ridiculous damage(and is fire attribute on Excellent, because :captainpop:). I felt like the only real clunker for attacks was Trio Meteor.

EDIT: oh also props for this game turning the dumb sticker system into something awesome. buff deck is way better and half-cost shinies encourage collecting

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 2, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yinlock posted:

Kinda disappointed overall, though maybe I'm just spoiled as I'm used to M&L redoing all it's sprites/constantly introducing new characters/concepts/etc. It feels like the NO EFFORT IN MARIO RPGS ALLOWED mandate is still in effect,

No it isn't. They flat-out said that the reason they didn't introduce new concepts was because it was a crossover and they had to focus on that. There was no 'mandate'.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

No it isn't. They flat-out said that the reason they didn't introduce new concepts was because it was a crossover and they had to focus on that. There was no 'mandate'.

Well then I'm wrong and stupid. It just feels kind of half-assed overall and I'm not used to that from this series.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

No this joke is still funny.

What do you mean there were 4 games before this where he undoubtedly had a part in saving the world??? (2 of which Starlow was there to see)

I think it's intentional that Starlow is just a self-important idiot. Basically everybody in the game (who isn't nice enough to spare her feelings) asks why Starlow is even there. That's why she gives Luigi so much poo poo, she realizes there's only one true hanger-on in the party.

edit: Changed some pronouns because apparently Starlow is a girl?

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 2, 2016

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I like Starlow. There, I said it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I think the only thing I have against Starlow is how loving annoying her dialogue blips sound. I think this is the first game I've ever played that hosed up dialogue blips in place of speech.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Wow very little Luigi-loyalty (Luigity) ITT :nono:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Starlow and Luigi are good friends.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The first Mario and Luigi game, while it has a lot of "Mario and uh, Green Guy" jokes, also allows Luigi to get some hits in and pokes some fun at Mario (such as when Luigi finds him stuck in a barrel and decides to just ride that barrel back to BeanBean castle instead of trying to help him out of there).

Every single sequel sorta dropped that balance and became Luigi Chump Hour, which isn't really something I mind because I love Luigi so much or whatever, but it makes the humor a bit one-note.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

In the end, Luigi's mustache is better, so it works out.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

The first Mario and Luigi game, while it has a lot of "Mario and uh, Green Guy" jokes, also allows Luigi to get some hits in and pokes some fun at Mario (such as when Luigi finds him stuck in a barrel and decides to just ride that barrel back to BeanBean castle instead of trying to help him out of there).

Every single sequel sorta dropped that balance and became Luigi Chump Hour, which isn't really something I mind because I love Luigi so much or whatever, but it makes the humor a bit one-note.

There is a toad in the tropics that loves Luigi and when you first talk to him, he's all, "LUIGI HELL YEAH YOU ARE RAD!" And Luigi jumps with an exclamation because it catches him off guard. It's great.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Ragequit posted:

There is a toad in the tropics that loves Luigi and when you first talk to him, he's all, "LUIGI HELL YEAH YOU ARE RAD!" And Luigi jumps with an exclamation because it catches him off guard. It's great.

Nice! I will do this later because I like seeing my good friend Luigi getting a win.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ragequit posted:

Mute this video before watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyyCfIduEnY&t=33s

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

How do i get this P block?

in the Twinsy tropics dungeon.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Crack in the wall a couple cells over.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Cicadas! posted:

Crack in the wall a couple cells over.

Oh, it's being blocked by a green toad. Guess I have to come back?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Deviant posted:

How do i get this P block?

in the Twinsy tropics dungeon.

There's a crack in the wall in another cell, but a Toad is blocking it. You have to reach the end of the area first for that Toad to leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Ok neato~

What rank bonuses are good? I gave everyone +1 Gear Slot off the start. Figured I could get beans later to make up the stat gap if need be.

• Locked thread