Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

carry on then posted:

the correct answer is to make app install/uninstall 10x worse to save a few kb of disk space

Why can't they just keep track of where all the poo poo goes and put a "remove this app" in some sort of right click menu?
Hell, why can't they just keep track of where all the poo poo goes and then REMOVE THAT poo poo when you dump the app into the trashcan?

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Tiny Bug Child posted:

i'd never go back to windows unless apple continues their slow decline for a v long time, but finder really is complete trash

finder is extremely needs suiting for me imo

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
finder is trash, it's just there to remind you to make a workflow that doesn't involving directly interacting with files

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ratbert90 posted:

Why can't they just keep track of where all the poo poo goes and put a "remove this app" in some sort of right click menu?
Hell, why can't they just keep track of where all the poo poo goes and then REMOVE THAT poo poo when you dump the app into the trashcan?

you keep acting like the files are created during some special process that happens when you drag to /Applications. they're not.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
app store apps don't poo poo files everywhere quite like something like skype or photoshop

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Stux posted:

finder is extremely needs suiting for me imo

why the gently caress isn't there a view like the windows explorer "small icons" view; the closest thing is that stupid multiple columns view or the even stupider "cover flow" view

when i use the list view, why do arbitrary subfolders get expanded and nothing i can do seems to make finder remember that they should be closed

why can't i just type a path in the path bar instead of having to do some double-meta-key combo that opens up a modal input dialog

finder suxxx

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

man i hate the columns view

what, you just want to list as many of the files in this big directory as will fit in the window? nahh what you really want is to see a bunch of poo poo in all the parent directories instead

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Can you brew install Nautilus on osx?

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Raere posted:

i used a mac today for the first time since os 9
wow what a bad OS
i open finder, get to a folder with a list of files - where's the loving scroll bar? i move the mouse up and down the side of the window but nothing appears. scrolling my finger down the right side of the touchpad doesnt do anything either. very unintuitive
how do i uninstall a program? well i assume ill just go into the settings and find a listing of installed programs...nah, you have to open finder, go to applications on the sidebar, and drag the application into the trash
half of the popup windows dont have a button selected, so instead of being able to press enter to say OK and dismiss it, i have to click on it
maximizing windows doesnt make them go full screen most of the time, just makes them a little bigger. im on an 11 inch mba nothing loving fits in your small rear end window
i closed a program oops it's still open because i only closed its window??? this is mac os 7 dumbassery

the only usable and working part is the terminal
how the hell do you guys use this pos?

sorry for your crippling stupidity.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Tiny Bug Child posted:

why the gently caress isn't there a view like the windows explorer "small icons" view; the closest thing is that stupid multiple columns view or the even stupider "cover flow" view

when i use the list view, why do arbitrary subfolders get expanded and nothing i can do seems to make finder remember that they should be closed

why can't i just type a path in the path bar instead of having to do some double-meta-key combo that opens up a modal input dialog

finder suxxx

right click > view options. u can then set icon size and grid spacing to any size u like and make it even smaller than explorer small icons if u want. use as default will set it as a universal setting or u can set it up for individual folders.

subfolders in list are expanded or minimised based on how u left them. they arent arbitrary, u just keep leaving them open and then wonder why they're still open later.

because a path bar is clunky and redundant for 99% of users and hitting cmd shift g and typing isnt exactly slower than clicking on the path bar instead.

Tiny Bug Child posted:

man i hate the columns view

what, you just want to list as many of the files in this big directory as will fit in the window? nahh what you really want is to see a bunch of poo poo in all the parent directories instead

ur literally complaining that the columns view is made up of columns and isnt just a list. if u want a list perhaps u should use the list view, which is exactly what ur asking for here.

im sorry all of ur issues with the finder are due to you being either a) ignorant or b) extremely stupid.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

all I miss is a "open this location in iterm" in Finder.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

computer toucher posted:

all I miss is a "open this location in iterm" in Finder.

even this edge case use is covered by apple script and can be accomplished in a number of ways. u can have a drag drop side bar option, a right click option or a button on the finder itself. enjoy

http://peterdowns.com/posts/open-iterm-finder-service.html

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Stux posted:

right click

lol

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Stux posted:

even this edge case use is covered by apple script and can be accomplished in a number of ways. u can have a drag drop side bar option, a right click option or a button on the finder itself. enjoy

http://peterdowns.com/posts/open-iterm-finder-service.html

thanks!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i just came in here to say homebrew is real bad

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
can u brew install gnome 3 in OSX?

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
how do i tell if my computer is a good biOS or a bad biOS

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
its got solitare and email on it and the internet

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

os x is best because on top it's sleek designer latte heaven but with just a few keystrokes you're dropped into zsh for some full-on autism time machine action. owns.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

and I mean time machine as in "command line" not like "easiest way to backup ever"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
spend forever last night trying to put html signature in Apple email program and finally did after discovering the " tha I get when I type isn't the right kind of " for html

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
no
one who is good at OS X should complain about blender

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

computer toucher posted:

os x is best because on top it's sleek designer latte heaven but with just a few keystrokes you're dropped into zsh for some full-on autism time machine action. owns.

pretty close but ur actually describing GNOME 3

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Smythe posted:

can u brew install gnome 3 in OSX?
as much as i like my mac this would actually own

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Smythe posted:

pretty close but ur actually describing GNOME 3

I used gnome since the old 2 days, and then I really liked gnome3.0, but looking back Gnome3.0 was horrendous and should never have been released.

Later versions are awesome though.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I like os x and it suits my needs.

nonetheless:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

this is pretty much how i look at osx

yes it is technically unix, in the way that a penny farthing is technically a bicycle

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yes it is technically unix, in the way that a penny farthing is technically a bicycle

Android -> Linux
OSX -> Unix

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

except os x is the normal bicycle and desktop linux is the technically usable but terrible penny farthing

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
macs are a city bike while linux is a mountain bike (that most people will ride around in the city)

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Raere posted:

SEP on mac

lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

carry on then posted:

except os x is the normal bicycle and desktop linux is the technically usable but terrible penny farthing

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Stux posted:

right click > view options. u can then set icon size and grid spacing to any size u like and make it even smaller than explorer small icons if u want. use as default will set it as a universal setting or u can set it up for individual folders.

ok you've almost solved my problem. how do i get it so that the icon text expands instead of cutting out the middle so i don't have a screen full of "Artist Na...bum Title" instead of "Artist Name - Album Title"

Stux posted:

subfolders in list are expanded or minimised based on how u left them. they arent arbitrary, u just keep leaving them open and then wonder why they're still open later.

this on the other hand is definitely wrong unless i'm actually the guy from Memento because i've hated this for a very long time and there's this one specific album that's always shown expanded no matter how many times i close it

Stux posted:

because a path bar is clunky and redundant for 99% of users and hitting cmd shift g and typing isnt exactly slower than clicking on the path bar instead.

if people get URLs they can get file system paths

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Tiny Bug Child posted:

if people get URLs
by and large i dont think they actually do

unless you count the ability to type "domain name dot com"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i don't really care what regular users get or don't get

i need a computer to respond to my needs, personally, doing my job. how hard it is for aunt tillie to check her email is entirely irrelevant to me

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i don't really care what regular users get or don't get

i need a computer to respond to my needs, personally, doing my job. how hard it is for aunt tillie to check her email is entirely irrelevant to me

so we can go ahead and ignore all of your opinions then. thanks for the heads up

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

now that you mention it it's kind of bizarre that a forum full of computing professionals' go-to response to making GBS threads on the brand they emotionally connect with is that it works better for other people

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

apple computers work well for me, the everyman

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I am the sub man, with no lifelong project. I exist and am easily swayed to political causes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
windows is like a homeless man riding a mountain bike in the city.
mac osx is like an athlete riding a road bike in the city.
linux is like a neckbeard vaping while riding a unicycle down a mountain

• Locked thread